PDA

View Full Version : Nor Cal Japanese Motor Exchange ?

Her454
02-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Anyone dealt with any of these in Nor Cal or know of a place I can find a
2.0L DOHC for a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse?
Going to put a new motor in it for my daughter to drive or just use it as a commuter if I can find one for a decent price.
Thanks-

lucky
02-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Anyone dealt with any of these in Nor Cal or know of a place I can find a
2.0L DOHC for a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse?
Going to put a new motor in it for my daughter to drive or just use it as a commuter if I can find one for a decent price.
Thanks-
There is only one person on this site that could help you with that .......
HEY Rice boy

maxwedge
02-24-2006, 11:01 AM
A friend of mine bought one from a place like this on ebay. There are several ebayers who sell JDM Motors, and a lot of rebuilt and used stuff too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/95-99-JDM-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-ENGINE-2-0-DOHC-TURBO_W0QQitemZ4614627226QQcategoryZ6755QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
He has run his hard with lots of boost for over a year now with no problems.

Her454
02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
I dont really use EBay but wouldnt it be expensive to buy a motor and have it shipped that way?
Thanks for the link........

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Call Lkq 800-424-2002 Ext80 Ask For Kyle, Tell Him Red-d Sent You. Also Try Aatarco 916-920-2522. It Is A Gamble With Used Parts, Spend Extra Money And Have Rebuilt. Good Luck Big Joe

Her454
02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys............

Tom Brown
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
HEY Rice boy
........... ( . ) ( . ) ..............

maxwedge
02-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I think it cost him around 150 to have one shipped from CA to IL, so if you are on the west coast, it might not be too bad. There is some law in Japan governing the installation of used engines (I forget the details) but basically it means they have a lot of good used motors with low milage that they can't put back in other cars. So they sell them in quantity for peanuts to foriegn investors who ship them here and sell them for a profit. Hence all of the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) motors for sale here. I've seen several places that offer a 6 or 12 mo warranty on them too. Search the net for "JDM eclipse motor", or something similar, you will find a lot of info. There are some rip off places out there too, so you have to be careful.

SummitKarl
02-24-2006, 11:43 AM
OH for F-Sakes........I buy a Cheby.......Then you want a AMC, and now you going foreign on me.............when will the Oneupsmanship end :p :)
anyone Know where I can get a FIAT :rolleyes:

Her454
02-24-2006, 11:58 AM
anyone Know where I can get a FIAT :rolleyes:
I've got one I'll sell you, cheap. :rollside:

Her454
02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
I think it cost him around 150 to have one shipped from CA to IL, so if you are on the west coast, it might not be too bad. There is some law in Japan governing the installation of used engines (I forget the details) but basically it means they have a lot of good used motors with low milage that they can't put back in other cars. So they sell them in quantity for peanuts to foriegn investors who ship them here and sell them for a profit. Hence all of the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) motors for sale here. I've seen several places that offer a 6 or 12 mo warranty on them too. Search the net for "JDM eclipse motor", or something similar, you will find a lot of info. There are some rip off places out there too, so you have to be careful.
Stupid question.....where can I get a new one? The Dealership? Or is that just absolutley ridiculous pricewise? I HATE DEALING FOREIGN but the car is in excellent shape other than the motor and I hate to get rid of it.

NOTALENT
02-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Non turbo right...that would be the chrysler 2.0...
As for LKQ they buy from me...I can see what I can swing here...I have been using my discount a bit....what have you been quoted???

Her454
02-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Non turbo right...that would be the chrysler 2.0...
As for LKQ they buy from me...I can see what I can swing here...I have been using my discount a bit....what have you been quoted???
I havent, I've just browsed the web, THANKS. And yes, thats non turbo but can I put a turbo in place of the old one?

maxwedge
02-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Okay, maybe not clear but "foreign investors" in this case is probably mostly Americans. I ment foreign to Japan, so not all the money is going to Japan in this case. LOL :crossx: Rebuilt is going to be way cheaper and even better in some cases if it has upgraded components (ie extra $$ HI-PO stuff). I will talk to my Eclipse friend tonight at work. He knows way more about this stuff than I do. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction better than I can. I will try to post back or PM you tommorow. It's a very poupar motor for high performance import crowd, so I'm sure there are a lot of shops that can hook you up.

NOTALENT
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
I havent, I've just browsed the web, THANKS. And yes, thats non turbo but can I put a turbo in place of the old one?
You can swap to the turbo, but it's not worth it. You would have to change the CPU, wiring harness, sensors and a whole lot more...probably looking around 3k for just the accessories without the motor.

NOTALENT
02-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Okay, maybe not clear but "foreign investors" in this case is probably mostly Americans. I ment foreign to Japan, so not all the money is going to Japan in this case. LOL :crossx: Rebuilt is going to be way cheaper and even better in some cases if it has upgraded components (ie extra $$ HI-PO stuff). I will talk to my Eclipse friend tonight at work. He knows way more about this stuff than I do. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction better than I can. I will try to post back or PM you tommorow. It's a very poupar motor for high performance import crowd, so I'm sure there are a lot of shops that can hook you up.
She has the non turbo...

Her454
02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Thanks!
You can swap to the turbo, but it's not worth it. You would have to change the CPU, wiring harness, sensors and a whole lot more...probably looking around 3k for just the accessories without the motor.
Forget it then, not worth the hassle. :)

maxwedge
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Oh...it's non turbo. No wonder you hate the car! Yeah your daughter will definitly want the turbo swap...and if I were you I would say no! Tell her she's too young and can't handle the power, then go ahead and do the turbo swap and then let her drive the POS Chevy? truck while you abuse the freshly turboed Eclipse yourself. :D

lucky
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
Thanks!
Why a turbo-- just get a bigger fart tube ....

NOTALENT
02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Thanks!
Nope...I will tell you this...Shop Jobber Through my company (ATK Engines) is $2333 + $245 core. Retail is $2566+$245 core. Comes with a 3yr unlimitied mile warranty, parts and labor. $50 an hour covered for labor.
Let me go see what I can work.... :rollside: If your intrested...

Her454
02-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Oh...it's non turbo. No wonder you hate the car! Yeah your daughter will definitly want the turbo swap...and if I were you I would say no! Tell her she's too young and can't handle the power, then go ahead and do the turbo swap and then let her drive the POS Chevy? truck while you abuse the freshly turboed Eclipse yourself. :D
POS Chevy LMAO............... She already drives a Chevy but wants better gas mileage and all the kids love those damn Eclipse's.

SummitKarl
02-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I've got one I'll sell you, cheap. :rollside:
I am sure you would FLAKE on the delivery :p but show up at Pismo the following weekend :rolleyes: :p :)

Her454
02-24-2006, 01:22 PM
I am sure you would FLAKE on the delivery :p but show up at Pismo the following weekend :rolleyes: :p :)
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/fsakes.gif
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/bsflag.gif
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/shame.gif
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif
Find your distributor yet? :rolleyes:

SummitKarl
02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/fsakes.gif
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/bsflag.gif
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/graemlins/shame.gif
http://www.riverratlife.com/forum/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif
Find your distributor yet? :rolleyes:
OWNED!!!!! :)

HOSS
02-24-2006, 03:39 PM
JK Quality Engines 510-483-7878

Kindsvater Flat
02-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Rising Sun in chico deals in used jap motors.