PDA

View Full Version : Sanding tips

IndianaTahiti
09-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I removed the rub rails and glassed in the seam and holes,what grit of paper do you guys use to blend in the glass before the application of mar-glass?(d/a sander) Any help would be appreciated. Steve:)

pw_Tony
09-06-2007, 12:30 PM
36-80 grit
If you're careful with 36 grit it would be done right and faster. But if you're uneasy on sanding abilities then 80 grit would work out too

victorfb
09-06-2007, 12:36 PM
80 grit will cut super fast so be careful. i wouldnt even try 36grit. unless there is an awful lot to remove, i normally shape/knockdown with 100-120. foam sanding blocks seem to work well for curved surfaces, you may want to try them to help blend the hull and cap.

IndianaTahiti
09-06-2007, 01:30 PM
good info thanks fellas:D

TRG
09-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I recommend a two foot oak board or any other hardwood, roughly 3" wide for a nice cap line, keeps shitz clean and smooth, dont really like using marglass, i am fond of using cabosyl mixed with a little gel or resin as a filler!
BTW i use 36 grit any chance i get, i dont care for sanding much these days, and the filler will fill any of the 36g scratches upon finish.
Just a little more input for you.
Todd

IndianaTahiti
09-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I recommend a two foot oak board or any other hardwood, roughly 3" wide for a nice cap line, keeps shitz clean and smooth, dont really like using marglass, i am fond of using cabosyl mixed with a little gel or resin as a filler!
BTW i use 36 grit any chance i get, i dont care for sanding much these days, and the filler will fill any of the 36g scratches upon finish.
Just a little more input for you.
Todd
I hear ya,I have never seen cabosyl where do ya find it? How much can you build this up safely? How bout them COLTS !!!!!!:devil:

YeLLowBoaT
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
What ever you do, don't use any filler that has talc in it. I recomend using micro ballons and light weight resin for filler.