PDA

View Full Version : Best Packing Replacement for Worn Shaft?

El Prosecutor
12-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Attached is a pic of shaft wear from under the original split packings on my 12jc. I am running a moderate output 455 Olds and don't want to replace the packings again for a long time. Options are:
1) Standard Split Packing - (Comes w/ kit, no extra expense, ??Performance)
2) Black Graphite Rope - (Moderate expense, may seat better on worn shaft)
3) New Style Packing Replacement Unit - (Most expensive, no maintenance required, but relatively untested & unknown effect of previous wear on shaft)
:argue:
Waddaya think?

Oldsquirt
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
In general(ALL applications, not just pump shafts), lip-type seals (option #3) don't do well on worn or scratched shafts.
Either of the first two options, properly installed, will likely outlive your ownership of the boat.

HammerDown
12-15-2005, 12:46 PM
I use GFO graphite packing, been in my pump for several years now It's actually square vs round. The product works perfect and is virtually dripless once seated w/run time. My shaft has some pretty bad grooves in it...but no problems here ;)

Dogballs
12-15-2005, 02:22 PM
He said, "WORN SHAFT"!

El Prosecutor
12-17-2005, 07:43 AM
A hush fell on the blogosphere as El Prosecutor announced his decision to the Hot Boat community:
[With flourish, i.e. the Iron Chef]
:220v: Standard Split Packings!!. :220v:
But why? The group collectively gasped. :p
Answer:
1) Comes with rebuild kit, no extra expense (minor factor) :)
2) Can be changed to graphite without removing shaft if desired (big factor) :idea:
3) With all of the experience and expertise on this forum no one makes
a real case that one is really any better than the other. (main factor to me) :idea:
4 And, I guess not having to tighten the packing nuts once in a while just isn't sufficient reason to change. :hammer2:

Rexone
12-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Graphite is all we use in our kits (standard), found it to work better and last longer than standard packing. Don't even stock the std rope any more.