PDA

View Full Version : best off the shelp holley dominator??

IMPATIENT 1
09-07-2007, 05:19 PM
guys , i'm sellin my blower stuff and goin back to nitrous, so i want to run a single carb. what's the best dominator holley p# for outta box performance? i don't wanna be buyin plugs all the time cause its idle rich.
i can tune 4150's pretty easily but i've got 0% experience with dominators. any advise would be appreciated.trying to keep the carb price in the 600-700 range. is their another company like proform building a better dominator than holley near my price range?? don't wanna spend a shit load, rather spend more on the nitrous set-up(retards, fuel cell, pumps, etc.).

DMOORE
09-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Holy smokes. I thought you just got that blower set up runnin'. Why the change? How about some nitrous on the blower?:)
Darrell.

IMPATIENT 1
09-07-2007, 08:04 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38610&d=1188941997Holy smokes. I thought you just got that blower set up runnin'. Why the change? How about some nitrous on the blower?:)
Darrell.
i blew a finger sized hole thru my block in the cam gallery saturday doin test & tuning. it filled the block with water super fast but i shut down before anything got hurt. my guess is the block layed on its bellhousing with alittle moisture in it for a few yrs, cause there's no cracks to be found. everything rotating assembly wise is still in new shape, gonna sell the balanced all eagle forged/srp flat blower pistons set=up for 1200.00 add a grand and build a small stroked nitrous motor.already sold the blower set-up and tommorrow i'll order my 2 stage kit , dominator and intake.

MACHINEHEAD
09-09-2007, 12:17 PM
If you are going to drive it around ( pleasure ) dont get a 3 circuit. They are real chuby at part throttle on a N/A engine. PN 8082 is a 2 circuit 1050 and 7320 for the 1150 $750 and $850. Both are awsome out of the box. But could use a little dyno time to really get it perf.

BOOGEYMAN
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Damn man I remember you saying this when you got the blown set up going........
quote: let me just say this loud "__CK NITROUS, I'LL NEVER TOUCH THE STUFF AGAIN NOW THAT I'VE WENT BLOWN " quote:
:D
good luck with your new set up man!!
Travis

IMPATIENT 1
09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Damn man I remember you saying this when you got the blown set up going........
quote: let me just say this loud "__CK NITROUS, I'LL NEVER TOUCH THE STUFF AGAIN NOW THAT I'VE WENT BLOWN " quote:
:D
good luck with your new set up man!!
Travis
LMAO:D :D i knew at some point i was gonna eat those words:rolleyes: lol
dude, every blower boat at our local "meet" lake got handed its ass this summer by a 350hp shot tx-19 with a decent 546, and there's no way i can build anything close to those blown boats, so i'm gonna do it the easy way;) go with gobs of nitrous:D way more than 350;)

BIGCHRIS
09-09-2007, 06:38 PM
LMAO:D :D i knew at some point i was gonna eat those words:rolleyes: lol
dude, every blower boat at our local "meet" lake got handed its ass this summer by a 350hp shot tx-19 with a decent 546, and there's no way i can build anything close to those blown boats, so i'm gonna do it the easy way;) go with gobs of nitrous:D way more than 350;)
Tom sounds like you need to build a all out race boat not a lake boat:) .546 with nos these guys need to be at that track

hotbo
09-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Tom sounds like you need to build a all out race boat not a lake boat:) .546 with nos these guys need to be at that track
not really he skis behind his tx-19 and also has a swim step platform on back,larry the chop helms boat is the one i believe tom is refering to.:D
all dominators are contrary like said need some goos dyn time to tune.or could do what we did had biggs carbs set ours up on dads boat,1050 and that thing will idle all day runs excellent snappy throttl response and so forth worth the money.

Warp Speed
09-10-2007, 05:57 AM
not really he skis behind his tx-19 and also has a swim step platform on back,larry the chop helms boat is the one i believe tom is refering to.:D
all dominators are contrary like said need some goos dyn time to tune.or could do what we did had biggs carbs set ours up on dads boat,1050 and that thing will idle all day runs excellent snappy throttl response and so forth worth the money.
Chop + TX-19 + N2O = One FAST "family" boat!!!!! :jawdrop:
Warp Speed

BOOGEYMAN
09-10-2007, 07:00 AM
Talk to Patrick at pro systems carbs he is the best when it comes to nitrous carbs. You can give him exactly what your set up is and what you are looking for and he can wet flow it before he ships it and its all ready to go!!
Travis

Warp Speed
09-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Talk to Patrick at pro systems carbs he is the best when it comes to nitrous carbs. You can give him exactly what your set up is and what you are looking for and he can wet flow it before he ships it and its all ready to go!!
Travis
Patrick is a sharp guy.
I have a set of his 1100 XE carbs for my 598.
Great tech service to deal with any tuning questions you may have. And they aren't that much more than a stock Holley HP's.
Pro Systems (http://www.pro-system.com/)
Warp Speed

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 08:29 AM
If you are going to drive it around ( pleasure ) dont get a 3 circuit. They are real chuby at part throttle on a N/A engine. PN 8082 is a 2 circuit 1050 and 7320 for the 1150 $750 and $850. Both are awsome out of the box. But could use a little dyno time to really get it perf.
so the 8082 is just as easy as a 4150 dp to tune? i really don't understand the 3 circuit dealio, what's the 3rd "intermeddiate idle " crap? and does the 8082 has progressive throttle?, i'd like to get some decent cruise fuel usage.

hotbo
09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
well i can tell ya one damn thing there are alot of good guys who can set a carb up for ya.i like biggs cause they have done 3 carbs for us and loved all of them.
dads dominator is a 3 circuit fuel system,:jawdrop: we sent it to jesse at biggs he worked it over got it back he can run all day and use the same amount of fuel bryans 800 sbc uses .tom thats the truth:eek: the only thing i did was go down one jet size on the primary thats all other than that put it on start it and set idle.does not ever load up ,stumble,no flat spot or anything.get someone to build you carb tom that can test them before you get them damn sure worth the money bro.:D

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 09:50 AM
well i can tell ya one damn thing there are alot of good guys who can set a carb up for ya.i like biggs cause they have done 3 carbs for us and loved all of them.
dads dominator is a 3 circuit fuel system,:jawdrop: we sent it to jesse at biggs he worked it over got it back he can run all day and use the same amount of fuel bryans 800 sbc uses .tom thats the truth:eek: the only thing i did was go down one jet size on the primary thats all other than that put it on start it and set idle.does not ever load up ,stumble,no flat spot or anything.get someone to build you carb tom that can test them before you get them damn sure worth the money bro.:D
did you check out the carb i emailed to ya? its wet flowed to your cam by them and its nice looking, gots red in it already:D i've got to pick out a cam!

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320155960338&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11

stix818
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
IMPATIENT 1, try racingjunk.com I just picked up a 1250 dominator for 650 bucks + shipping. Great condition. I'm sure they have some 1050s running around.

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
IMPATIENT 1, try racingjunk.com I just picked up a 1250 dominator for 650 bucks + shipping. Great condition. I'm sure they have some 1050s running around.
i want to buy a new 1 while i've got the $$$;) i'm sick of used shit, i'm buyin new parts this yr.., not bargain huntin:D thanx for the heads up though:)

hotbo
09-10-2007, 01:12 PM
threre you go tom i like it:D

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
threre you go tom i like it:D
i like it to, bling bling:D its purdy. man i just don't wanna have to send a new carb off to be tinkered with, kinda defeats the purpose of buyin new shit,lol:D these guys say they can hook me up, the price is right so i'll go for it.worse case is i still end up sending it to biggs or something but it only 30-40 bucks more than a basic dominator.

hotbo
09-10-2007, 01:57 PM
i like it to, bling bling:D its purdy. man i just don't wanna have to send a new carb off to be tinkered with, kinda defeats the purpose of buyin new shit,lol:D these guys say they can hook me up, the price is right so i'll go for it.worse case is i still end up sending it to biggs or something but it only 30-40 bucks more than a basic dominator.
well tom from what ive gathered my little experince and others that have alot dominators are contrary this is my 3rd one the previous 2 over the past years were a pain in my ass and dads to get to run okay.the 3rd was bought from biggs run on test mules flowed ect.come to the door wamo mofo is freaking great:jawdrop: they also done a 750 for us last year on a 406 ,nos prostreet truck we have wow that sob come alive over a 825 race demon i could not tune and others couldnt either lol!!.so im sure these boys are good and you will be happy with it.:D

MACHINEHEAD
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
2 circuit = idle and main circuits
3 circuit= idle, intermediate and main
A 3 has an extra long "transition" trough the middle of the fuel curve. This is right about were you cruise=extra fuel enrichment you dont want. You can have a carb guy tune this part of the fuel curve out completely or partially. This usualy happens when you buy the wrong carb and you have multiple issues going on and the extra fuel at part throttle is confusing you even more.
A 3 circuit was designed for just hammering the throttle. Some of you may know how hard it is to get 1050 cfm flowing without a hick-up. Its hard. So the extra circuit was installed to help the boggy transition. In my back to back testing you will see the same idle A/F ratio (15to1 lets say) and the same wide open A/F ratio (12.8to1 lets say) But the 3 circuit can have a 10to1 cruise while the 2 circuit will be a crispy 13.5 to 1. And the 8082 is designed for single 4 use

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 05:43 PM
2 circuit = idle and main circuits
3 circuit= idle, intermediate and main
A 3 has an extra long "transition" trough the middle of the fuel curve. This is right about were you cruise=extra fuel enrichment you dont want. You can have a carb guy tune this part of the fuel curve out completely or partially. This usualy happens when you buy the wrong carb and you have multiple issues going on and the extra fuel at part throttle is confusing you even more.
A 3 circuit was designed for just hammering the throttle. Some of you may know how hard it is to get 1050 cfm flowing without a hick-up. Its hard. So the extra circuit was installed to help the boggy transition. In my back to back testing you will see the same idle A/F ratio (15to1 lets say) and the same wide open A/F ratio (12.8to1 lets say) But the 3 circuit can have a 10to1 cruise while the 2 circuit will be a crispy 13.5 to 1. And the 8082 is designed for single 4 use
machine, check out the 1 i linked to a couple posts up, tell me what ya think about it honestly. i don't mind giving up alittle fuel usage for more power, and if someone could explain to me how to tune the 3rd circuit, i think it'd work. tell me what ya think?????
here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320155960338&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:US:11

MACHINEHEAD
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Already on the way check your pm

IMPATIENT 1
09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Already on the way check your pm
lol, thanx for the advise, i won't hold it against ya:D i'm gonna see it they've got the 1 you mention in a zinc'd finish too, i think the ebay is just catching my eye to much compared to a basic dominator.

cfm
09-11-2007, 03:20 AM
Wasn't the 3 circuit Dominator originally made for small cid engines - ie: normal size small blocks? Where they don't have enough airflow in lower rpm's to pull enough fuel ?
I'm no carb guru (I pick up the phone and call) but I do know the best running and easiest to tune carb(s) for any application is the one that was OE designed for your your application. If carbs where totally universal, Holley would have just a dozen or so part #'s - ie: one page in there catalog.

adjones419
09-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Quick Fuel Technology
http://www.quickfueltechnology.com
Between our 2 dragboats, we're running 4 of their 1050's with Nitrous. Great carburetors and great guys to deal with.

MACHINEHEAD
09-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Your right CFM a small engine with low signal would really benifit from a 3 circuit at the wack of the throttle. But the fact still remains that it would not be the best choice for part throttle cruising. Maybe its just me but about 10 years ago there seemed to be a shit load of different Dominators and 4150 carbs. So at SEMA I had asked one of my sales reps at Holley why so many, if you have to dial all of them in anyway. He said plain and simple MARKETING. Now you may notice a consolidation of part numbers in regaurds to features but a new line of different carbs like ULTRA SERIES for example. If they have a 100 different dominators , you as a potential buyer are probably going to find 1 you like and BUY IT. After market carb guys make their money by taking that domy and, with their years of experience, make it bolt on and run bad ass. More power to them. Maybe car craft or engine masters should have a shoot out of dominator based carbs to see what the real deal is. No re-jets or tuning, just curb idle!

RumRunner
09-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Your right CFM a small engine with low signal would really benifit from a 3 circuit at the wack of the throttle. But the fact still remains that it would not be the best choice for part throttle cruising. Maybe its just me but about 10 years ago there seemed to be a shit load of different Dominators and 4150 carbs. So at SEMA I had asked one of my sales reps at Holley why so many, if you have to dial all of them in anyway. He said plain and simple MARKETING. Now you may notice a consolidation of part numbers in regaurds to features but a new line of different carbs like ULTRA SERIES for example. If they have a 100 different dominators , you as a potential buyer are probably going to find 1 you like and BUY IT. After market carb guys make their money by taking that domy and, with their years of experience, make it bolt on and run bad ass. More power to them. Maybe car craft or engine masters should have a shoot out of dominator based carbs to see what the real deal is. No re-jets or tuning, just curb idle!
Usually additional numbers come from building specific calibrations so that there is less tuning required in the field. As far as a tuning challenge without being able to tune a carburetor it would really be worthless in my opinion since you're negating the advantages of a modular carburetor... Which are tunability. That's like telling an engine builder they can't change timing, or valve lash.

IMPATIENT 1
09-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Usually additional numbers come from building specific calibrations so that there is less tuning required in the field. As far as a tuning challenge without being able to tune a carburetor it would really be worthless in my opinion since you're negating the advantages of a modular carburetor... Which are tunability. That's like telling an engine builder they can't change timing, or valve lash.
hey, since your a nitrous works guy, whatya think about the nitrous works X 2stage plate kits???