PDA

View Full Version : Who's been to kauai?

MBlaster
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Leaving on the 20th for 9 days.
We rented a house on the beach at Hanalei Bay, and rented a car.
Any suggestions on good restaurants or stuff we gotta do?
We are up for exploring or anything fun.

CampbellCarl
09-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I know nothing about which island is which..........you must do the Arizona Memorial......all of it. Moved me as I have never been moved before or since.
CC

speedymopars
09-07-2007, 07:16 PM
There are many places to do - but you can cover the island in 4 days. You are staying in the tropical rain forest part of the island, Take the road south (then west) and you will end up in the Hawaiian grand canyon. You won't believe it is the same island. At the end of the road, hike the few miles and you will see more rainbows than you have ever seen in your life. Doub;e / triple.etc- at the rainiest place on earth.

Boatcop
09-07-2007, 07:35 PM
There are many places to do - but you can cover the island in 4 days. You are staying in the tropical rain forest part of the island, Take the road south (then west) and you will end up in the Hawaiian grand canyon. You won't believe it is the same island. At the end of the road, hike the few miles and you will see more rainbows than you have ever seen in your life. Doub;e / triple.etc- at the rainiest place on earth.
What he said. But bring warm clothes.
We stayed at the Coco Palms many years ago, before the hurricane wiped out half the Island. It was in the high 80s on the beach, but when we got to the top it was about 50.
You can also go the windward side and roll around on the flat beach like Richard Chamberlain in the Thornbirds.

Ziggy
09-07-2007, 07:45 PM
Starting from the far west end. West of the canyon down along the coast keep going and drive thru the cane fields and you come to a big sandy beach state park, its sorta close to a USNaval area. Heading east and local towns you find lots of shopping. RedDirtShirts are popular there, dyed with the red soil locally.
The salt ponds ar cool to check out, nice little beach there too. Black sand beach between there and Poipu. Cool little local bar/grill by Poipu is called the Kaloa Broiler. When you order your choice of meat they bring it to you in foil and you grill it yourself on a big shared grill. Comes with all you can eat beans and other goodies.
Some nice waterfalls between Poipu and the airport.
Go do the touristy thing and check out the Fern Grotto.
Look for the sleeping giant formation in the mountains as you drive along the eastern shores.
Great golf in Princeville.
Nice lava shores you can explore in that area, we hiked to Queens bath which is a pool of ocean water that is nice to swim in at low tide, sometimes waves will come over the edges. Supposed to be healing waters that the queen would bathe in to heal ailments.
Nice river to kayak up below Princeville.
Tunnels Reef beach is about there, great snorkeling there cuz you're protected by the reefs a mile out. Snorkeling over lava, lots of fish hiding and even some turtles(don't touch them).
Stop and check out both the wet and dry caves along this stretch.
And all the way to the end of the road is a nice beach and trail heads for hiking along the Napili coast, cliffside trails have awesome views. About an hours hike or less you come to a nice cove with caves and beautiful sandy beach.
Beautiful Island, anywwhere you go it has its own unique appeal. Have fun, you have plenty of days to see most of the island and relax on the beaches.:)

TCHB
09-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Go to the beach right in front of the Hyatt Hotel over by POI Pu beach.
Nice beach and waves when it break also great place for dinner.

H4215
09-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Grew up on Maui, but I have spent some time on Kauai. Traffic will be more of a factor than expected. Great thing about Kauai is it's so evenly distributed as far as tourist locations and local spots, people as well; so go check out the tourist stuff and you'll still be exposed to the real Hawaii. Just like Speedymopars said you must see Waimea Canyon ( called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific ), pack a picnic there are a few places for a great lunch with a spectacular view. Hanalei is very beautiful and the beaches in the area are great, especially the Queen's beach where they filmed South Pacific ( they sing about the fictious Bali Hai, the 2 small islands just offshore ). If you want to learn about the Island, the people, the flora and fauna, and the culture then check out the Smith's River Tour. They'll get touristy on ya because it's a business, but you should find the river portion casual. Kauai's version of Hot Boat with wakeboard boats, but the pads on the river there are nice. Most of your good restaurants are in the Poipu area which you'll want to check out because of the Lighthouse and Spouting Horn. On the same side as Waimea Canyon is Polihale Beach; this is a fantastic beach for privacy and views, it is hella long and even when its busy at Polihale you'll still have a 100 yards of beach all to yourself. This is a long drive because it is best accessed thru the Cane Fields and it is slow going, also get detailed directions from a local because you definitely don't want to run into locals doin' business; not a good area to exploratory drive. If you want to try Local Kine grinds ( local food ) Oki's in Lihue is pretty good. If your feeling adventurous food wise try a Puka Dog at the mall behind Roy's in Poipu, there is also a burger joint over on the side of the island your staying; it's right in the middle of the town and I think it's called Bubba's. Sorry I forget the name of the town, but with 9 days you guys will know your way around the island better than I do. I also heard the Plantation just outside Lihue on the way to Poipu is pretty good. If you're going to go after the Luau thing the only one to go to is the one at the Smith's Tropical Gardens right by the river tour. I'm sure you didn't know that Smith is a Hawaiian name, but in this case it is and they're my Ohana. It's not the best Luau on all the Islands, but it is the best one on Kauai. There is a great restaurant to get a sunset meal in Lawai Beach right by Poipu. Kauai is a great island and I'm sure whatever you choose to do, you'll have a wonderful trip; but of course I'm bias. If you have any specific questions let me know.

MBlaster
09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Cool thanks guys.:D

caroftheweek
09-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Starting from the far west end. West of the canyon down along the coast keep going and drive thru the cane fields and you come to a big sandy beach state park, its sorta close to a USNaval area. Heading east and local towns you find lots of shopping. RedDirtShirts are popular there, dyed with the red soil locally.
The salt ponds ar cool to check out, nice little beach there too. Black sand beach between there and Poipu. Cool little local bar/grill by Poipu is called the Kaloa Broiler. When you order your choice of meat they bring it to you in foil and you grill it yourself on a big shared grill. Comes with all you can eat beans and other goodies.
Some nice waterfalls between Poipu and the airport.
Go do the touristy thing and check out the Fern Grotto.
Look for the sleeping giant formation in the mountains as you drive along the eastern shores.
Great golf in Princeville.
Nice lava shores you can explore in that area, we hiked to Queens bath which is a pool of ocean water that is nice to swim in at low tide, sometimes waves will come over the edges. Supposed to be healing waters that the queen would bathe in to heal ailments.
Nice river to kayak up below Princeville.
Tunnels Reef beach is about there, great snorkeling there cuz you're protected by the reefs a mile out. Snorkeling over lava, lots of fish hiding and even some turtles(don't touch them).
Stop and check out both the wet and dry caves along this stretch.
And all the way to the end of the road is a nice beach and trail heads for hiking along the Napili coast, cliffside trails have awesome views. About an hours hike or less you come to a nice cove with caves and beautiful sandy beach.
Beautiful Island, anywwhere you go it has its own unique appeal. Have fun, you have plenty of days to see most of the island and relax on the beaches.:)
you pretty much described what we did on our honeymoon...you missed a couple things:D :D .
we put 600 miles on our rental jeep. we drove the piss out of that thing. as all have said the island is very diverse and beautiful everywhere. Have a good time. watch out for the roosters. they are everywhere.

boatsnblondes
09-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Chris and I spent 12 days there at Princeville before heading over to Maui for another 5. I like the Northern end of the island....lot more quaint, not so much traffic, quaint little villages to stop and explore, have lunch or dinner and do some shopping. Bali Hai <sp> is also a great beach..just take the main road North, around the top, till it ends... Try the Luau at Princeville also...something to remember. As for fun, we did this AWESOME hlicopter ride off the southern end of the island..hour drive from the hotel. Hughes 500 chopper, no doors. I have awesome footage of the island I shot just holding the camera out the side of the chopper. Most good hotel conciege can help you with that. They also land at a little lagoon and hike in,you do a little swimming for a while, have some lunch, again, they hike it in, and then back to the airport....great time. Other than that, i have always felt it was the most quiet of the islands....just a great place to spend time with one another..we are going back next year for a week...can't wait. Hope this helps..

Roxysnow
09-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Beautiful island! We did a ATV tour and had a blast! It rains almost every day at 5:30pm! and chickens every! Not a snake on the island either! Have fun! :D

dc96819
09-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Go check out the Fern grotto

WishIknew
09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Get a refund and go to MAUI!!!!!!!!!!

boat boy
09-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Tahedia Nuwies for Mia-Tias, spelled it wrong just ask where the Mia-Tia place is everyone knows. Last time there bar bill was fifty five dollars. Thats 5 dollars a drink, you figure it out. If you like to fish or snorkle there's Capt. Bob his in the blue book about Kauai.
Forget Bubba Burgers and go straight to Ono-Burgers you will pass them on your way from the airport red shack on the right side of road abour 2/3 of the way up from the airport.

C-2
09-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Congrats on your unique choice! Hanalei is on the “wet” side, North Shore, not touristy and laid back, almost in a "hippiesh" kind of way. The North Shore has its own micro-climate and usually rains every day (home to the rainiest spot on earth at 450” a year).
If you are staying in a house and will be cooking – do yourself a huge favor and stock up on supplies at the Costco (and gas when you return) in Lihue. When you’re down in Hanalei, the only market will be Food City, a cool little market where a 12 pack of soda will set you back $9, a pound of ground beef about $14….you get the picture. The Costco is neat cuz they have a lot of local stuff, and the fresh, local fish is cheap. They also have Wal Mart and Home Depot in Lihue – real lifelines because before that, there wasn’t shiat.
Kapa’a on the East Shore (pronounced kuh-paw, or kuh paw ah) is the next city, kind of dry, crowded and a tourist trap, lots of luau’s there. Some modern stores like Rite-Aid and McDonalds.
Further down on the way to Hanalei in Anahola, off the side of the road is Ono Burger, a must do; and also pick up some Anahola Granola – don’t ask why, but it’s the best granola around.
Further down is Princeville, home to the incredibly wealthy. There is a big, modern condo and resort spread, far different from Hanalei. However, it’s also home to the Princeville Hotel, which pretty awesome. On the weekend “the Prince” has a seafood buffet, I think it’s about $75 a plate, and yes, it’s pretty much worth it. A must do for the date night out, or even with the in-laws. You need reservations (not always easy to get) and they have an early and late sitting. After dinner it’ cool to run around the hotel, it overlooks Hanalei Bay and makes for nice photos. They also have a spa and plenty pf golf there. In Princeville they have Food City, the only somewhat modern grocery store in the area – sign up for a “Makai” card, a free club card which saves you some bucks. There is also Mail Boxes etc there if business bites you in the arse and you need Internet. (Hanalei also has Wi-Fi).
Across the street from the Prince is the nicest landfill you will ever lay eyes on, there is also a great photo op turnout there – incredible views of the flat, Taro-filled Hanalei Valley.
Down the hill from the Prince is Hanalei Valley/Bay. The center of the town is Ching Young Village, a gathering spot with small shops, real Hawaiian shaved ice, and several small restaurants/coffee houses. Usually always busy, this is the last touristy spot until the end of the road.
Continue down the road and the next bay over is Wainiha, where my in-laws have a home. There is a secluded beach there – great for shelling since it’s off the beat and path. It’s one of those beaches you could have to yourself the entire day.
And if you keep driving, you will end up at Ke’E beach at the end of the road. UNREAL for sunsets, as evidenced by the people who flock there to watch it every night. It’s a bitchen little beach which is enclosed by an outer reef, not too much of a tourist trap, and ya might see a tittie or two. The Na Pali Coast (West shore) starts there, thus the spectacular sunsets.
Things to see…
Waimea Canyon – their Grand Canyon and almost as impressive. The lookout points leading up to it, where you can look down on the Na Pali Coastline – which is awesome. I hear a boat, sailboat or helicopter tour of the Na Pali Coast is unreal, my 90 year old grandfather has cruised the world and says without a doubt, it’s the most breathtaking slice of earth he’s ever seen.
The Kilauea Lighthouse in Kilauea – you can also drive around some of the roads there, incredible spreads of land (Kilauea is east of Princeville).
Anini Beach – the premier place for snorkeling. Probably the prettiest beach, there is a public beach area, but if you can find a place to park alongside the small road – those are the best places. Would be nice to have a beachfront there, but I’m about $10M short.
In Hanalei – you have paddle boarding (mega popular), kayaks, boat and zodiac tours.
Princeville and Kilauea have stables and ATV tours.
Banana Joes, a roadside smoothie shack just outside Princeville.
The Guava Plantation in Kilauea
Of course, the helo tours.
Surfing starts at Hanalei Bay – Pine Trees in Hanalei Bay, Waikoko’s, Tunnels and Canon’s further down the road.
A the end of the road, there are two popular water caves, an ice cold dipping hole, Limahuli Gardens is cool….before Canons you will see the nicest groomed and gated/fenced house alongside the road, where Pierce Brosnin/Keely Shay live.
Powerhouse road is really cool to drive up.
If you return top the dry side (Waimea is on the dry side), you will pass thru Poi’Pu – not a big fan of the area. Some of the resorts are in Poi Pu – the Hyatt Regency (I believe a 5-star) is really, really nice.
Eucalyptus Trees tunnel – fun driving thru it on the way to Poi Pu, also some pretty neat stables in Poi Pu, another bog golf course there too.
Barking Sands beach is at the end of the road on the South Side, where the Na Pali Cost ends. A crushed shell beach, not crowded.
--
When in Hanalei- tread lightly with the locals, kill them with kindness and they’ll return the same. And when crossing the one lane bridges – trust me – no matter who was there first, locals have the right of way and will use it, lol.
Have fun :)

drtywhat
09-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Dont forget about "secret beach" its an unofficial nude beach and hardly anyone there... its the beach south of the light house

MBlaster
09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Wow great info guys. I'm gonna print some of this stuff and take it with us.:D

DaddyMack
09-09-2007, 10:59 PM
What they all said... plus... unless I missed someone saying it... up near princeville, you can hike down through a bit of jungle to the beach where "Blue Hawaii" with Elvis was shot.... just ask some of the locals where exactly its at...

Magic34
09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
We normally go to the Hyatt at Poipu every year for about 10 days. Having a baby this year has thrown it off.
We dont leave much, just hang out on the beach and lagoon at the hotel. We venture into the nearby town for dinner a few nights.
It is a nice area, but after reading these others it seems I have missed out on a ton to do there. If you are someone that can sit in one spot and have a good time, Poipu is nice. If you cant sit still, which I cant but somehow do, then the island is very green and great to enjoy.
I think in October/November the whales are out in force if I remember correctly. You can see them from the shore. It is either that time or around February. Cant remember 100%.

mobldj
09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
just landed in ontario from the islands,no alchohol left as the 4 of us that went drank it all,go to dukes 4 drinks,take a snorkel tour to napali coast,go to bubba burgers in kapaa,rent your snorkel stuff from snorkel bobs in kapaa or hanalie,go past hanalie to the end of the road ,decent snorkeling there.if you golf go to princeville if you got the $ unless you got a uncle like us who lives there and get an islander rate.drive to the falls and get your souviners at the wal mart(your friends will never know).aloha

PaPaG
09-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Get a refund and go to MAUI!!!!!!!!!!
Didn't you buy a few hundred yards of beach front in Maui? there goes D. Trumping again....

Steamin' Rice
09-10-2007, 12:40 PM
If you are water skiers, then you should look into skiing on the Wailea river - My wife and I did this on our honeymoon and it was great - People don't realize that there's freshwater river to ski on in Hawaii.
http://www.hawaii.com/visit/kauai/activities/waterskiing
I think there's only one boat who pulls skiers, so you'll have the water to yourself.

H4215
09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Craig - Awesome job! Keep it up and pretty soon you'll be Kanaka!! Please tell your wife "Hello" and how is your family progressing?

lewiville
09-10-2007, 06:59 PM
make it a priority to have ice cream every day ( and coffee ) Lamberts. Its a must. You can find them in Old Town Town Kola.

H4215
09-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Lapperts Ice Cream is actually made there on Kauai.

lewiville
09-10-2007, 07:11 PM
oh yeah forgot one thing. Bubba's aahhhh its ok. you might run into some poeple that tell ya you "have to go to Bubba's". if your in town, try it.

OnlyMoney
09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Since everyone's giving their 2 cents, I'll play along.
Been to Kauai 5 times now and just booked trip #6 for Sept 08. Princeville is where we stay and is the closest place to Hanalei. You're on the right side of the island, the jungle/green side. Kauai is a pretty sleepy island, but you can find the parties. The Dolphin restaurant in Hanalei is where we eat dinner on the first and last night of our trips. Kinda like people go to Mama's on Maui (that's our other favorite trip). On the Hanalei river, kinda indoor/outdoor and wonderful. They also have the best mai tai's hands down. It's so good that you CANNOT order a double due to the high alcohol content. Fresh ahi and just about any other fish (they added a fish market about 5 years ago) or steaks. Killer salad choices too.
Poipu is definitely where the "tourist" area is, but it's worth the drive. If you're missing the late night hang out feel, that's the place.
Be sure to take the time to check out some waterfalls. They'll blow your mind. And since it does rain in the area you're staying almost daily...well, okay, it IS daily but it passes. Take a look up at the mountain range (don't remember the name) and you can count TONS of waterfalls every morning. That's usually what we do every morning...coffee and waterfalls.
Can't wait to get there myself. Enjoy it! :D
Oh and if you're going to a romantic time and want to shell out the $$, try the beach dining at the Princeville Resort. Probably about $300 these days, but there's nothing else like it. Got my first ring there and it was one of the "dates" on The Bachelor. :)

C-2
09-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Craig - Awesome job! Keep it up and pretty soon you'll be Kanaka!! Please tell your wife "Hello" and how is your family progressing?
What is up bruddah? Long time, no hear from. Glad to see you're still around.
I told Mel hello and the family is doing great....in fact, got a bun in the oven again. Four years of unexplained infertility, and now I only need to look at the wifey and she ends up preggos.:rolleyes: :sqeyes: :rolleyes:
Hope you and your family are doing good - you still in So Cal?
And to keep this thread on track...
MBlaster - also pick up some IZ while there, or at least give a listen online (Israel Kamakiwo' ole, IZ for short. Try Hawaii 78', Somewhere Over the Rainbow and White Sandy Beach, you can find them on youtube). One listen to Somewhere Over the Rainbow and you'll be hooked.:)
My little girlie, sunset and a rainbow at Ke'E beach...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2006_11090141_Small_.JPG

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
09-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I just got back a week or so ago. I stayed at the Marriott in Lihue. It was killer. A couple of notes on the place:
The Fern Grotto is toast. Don't waste your time.
The ride to the canyon is great. Yes there is traffic but you are in Kauai and shouldn't be in a hurry to get anywhere.
The Beachhouse Restaurant in Poipu is killer. Hands down my favorite. Make some reservations. Also for an easy lunch is Brennecke's Beach Broiler. Take the time to see the Spouting Horn (about 30 seconds of entertainment)...
Be sure to do a sunset cruise. A few Sneaky Tiki's and the right weather make for a perfect pre-dinner activity!!!
Drive down to the end of the road beach past Princeville. hit the caves as mentioned. But get there early. We got there after noon and couldn't get a place to park within a mile. It was VERY BUSY down there.
Oh, and don't forget to re-fi your house before you go. You'll need the dough.