PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for going to Baja 1000 for the 1st time

2Driver
09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
We are planning on taking an RV with some friends to see the Baja 1000 in November this year. (Been meaning to do this for a long time) We've never been and aren't sure where to go to see decent action and still be safe and not be in too much of a crowd?
Thanks.

Lightning
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
It depends if you want to see the start or see the action as it whizzes past you. The start is cool, but very crowded. You may want to go to San Felipe (assuming the course if going through that part this year) and check out some of the action down that way. Plus the bars and food situation is pretty mellow down there.

Havasu1986
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Paging BajaBigDog...your phone is ringing. :D BBD knows alot on this subject.

79 HUSTLER
09-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Take lots of guns and ammo, set boobietraps for all your stuff and drink lots of beer and have fun... :D :D :D

Mrs.Racer277
09-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Hide everything :devil:

dunaholic
09-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Here's my advice.......
Don't go.

Baja Big Dog
09-10-2007, 12:18 PM
San Felipe is nice, but it more than likely wont go too close to the town, if you have a way to get out toe the track (jeep, quads, rhino etc) it would be the best place to watch and stay.
This ia a rough map, it will change.http://bp3.blogger.com/_6d2J4H20AN8/Ro_2hQAhGFI/AAAAAAAAAcw/aBuBRMN2PMk/s1600-h/Baja+1000+2007+Baja+Racing+News.com+race+course+ma p.bmp
otherwise it depends on how far you want to go down, the father down you go the scenery is better, but the racing thins out as the attrition rate is high.
In a motor home if you are not familiar with the roads in Baja you will be a target, the chase guys are in there own little race, to get from one place to another, and although the racers have a speed limit on the highways the chase guys don't, and since the race is going to Cabo this year pit guys are going to be stretched pretty thin. (we run at over 120 MPH is some places), stupid, yes!
No matter where yo go to watch, be advise if its a place you can get to that means the Mexicans will also be able to get there too, and the crowds at the road crossings are unbelievable, it is a show in its self to watch the locals standing 3 ft from a 7000 lb trophy truck missile going 100 MPH!! And waving at them!!!
Also the further down you go, the roads get worse, and a large motor home could be a real E ticket ride, most people install bright orange tape on the mirrors so the truckers have something to aim at!!!
So to answer your question, if it were me going to watch, I would go to Bay of L.A., or San Quintin, this place is beautiful, and yo could hook up and get some fishing in while your there, stay at the Old Mill if you call now, (800-479-7962) eat at Don Eddies next door. It is approx 225 miles from Ensenada.
Its about 293 miles from Ensenada to Bay of L.A. turnoff, and another 40 or so miles to town.
Crowds...forget about it, this is the most exciting thing to happen in Mexico all year, and the locals come out in force....
Now the fun stuff....DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT STAY IN OR AROUND ENSENADA BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE RACE. PERIOD. The crime rate in that town in unreal, to the extent many teems are not going for fear of getting there shit ripped off, we will only stay in one place, the San Nicolas, because they have 24 hour guards (year round) and we have no problems there. Needless to say this also applies to TJ and all area between the two.
Jokenly the gun issue was mentined, I know we laugh, but I have to be an ass about it, DO NOT TAKE ANY GUNS, OR ANYTING THAT LOOKS LIKE A GUN, OR ANY AMMO OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE AMMO INTO MEXICO!! Yes, this includes those redntck belt buckles with the bullets on them, and of course DO NOT TAKE ANY DRUGS INTO MEXICO!!THERE IS PLENTY ENOUGH DOWN THERE lol
Take Cingular, they work most places, Verizon is spotty. Rent a sat phone if you need to get in touch with any one in the states (not Globalstar). CB's work, but good luck with the local traffic.
WOW, I think IM done, I need a nap!!!:D

PaPaG
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
San Felipe is nice, but it more than likely wont go too close to the town, if you have a way to get out toe the track (jeep, quads, rhino etc) it would be the best place to watch and stay.
This ia a rough map, it will change.http://bp3.blogger.com/_6d2J4H20AN8/Ro_2hQAhGFI/AAAAAAAAAcw/aBuBRMN2PMk/s1600-h/Baja+1000+2007+Baja+Racing+News.com+race+course+ma p.bmp
otherwise it depends on how far you want to go down, the father down you go the scenery is better, but the racing thins out as the attrition rate is high.
In a motor home if you are not familiar with the roads in Baja you will be a target, the chase guys are in there own little race, to get from one place to another, and although the racers have a speed limit on the highways the chase guys don't, and since the race is going to Cabo this year pit guys are going to be stretched pretty thin. (we run at over 120 MPH is some places), stupid, yes!
No matter where yo go to watch, be advise if its a place you can get to that means the Mexicans will also be able to get there too, and the crowds at the road crossings are unbelievable, it is a show in its self to watch the locals standing 3 ft from a 7000 lb trophy truck missile going 100 MPH!! And waving at them!!!
Also the further down you go, the roads get worse, and a large motor home could be a real E ticket ride, most people install bright orange tape on the mirrors so the truckers have something to aim at!!!
So to answer your question, if it were me going to watch, I would go to Bay of L.A., or San Quintin, this place is beautiful, and yo could hook up and get some fishing in while your there, stay at the Old Mill if you call now, (800-479-7962) eat at Don Eddies next door. It is approx 225 miles from Ensenada.
Its about 293 miles from Ensenada to Bay of L.A. turnoff, and another 40 or so miles to town.
Crowds...forget about it, this is the most exciting thing to happen in Mexico all year, and the locals come out in force....
Now the fun stuff....DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT STAY IN OR AROUND ENSENADA BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER THE RACE. PERIOD. The crime rate in that town in unreal, to the extent many teems are not going for fear of getting there shit ripped off, we will only stay in one place, the San Nicolas, because they have 24 hour guards (year round) and we have no problems there. Needless to say this also applies to TJ and all area between the two.
Jokenly the gun issue was mentined, I know we laugh, but I have to be an ass about it, DO NOT TAKE ANY GUNS, OR ANYTING THAT LOOKS LIKE A GUN, OR ANY AMMO OR ANYTHING THAT LOOKS LIKE AMMO INTO MEXICO!! Yes, this includes those redntck belt buckles with the bullets on them, and of course DO NOT TAKE ANY DRUGS INTO MEXICO!!THERE IS PLENTY ENOUGH DOWN THERE lol
Take Cingular, they work most places, Verizon is spotty. Rent a sat phone if you need to get in touch with any one in the states (not Globalstar). CB's work, but good luck with the local traffic.
A Nap? YOU need a vacation after that post...:D

Baja Big Dog
09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
A Nap? YOU need a vacation after that post...:D
No shit.....LOL:D

whiteworks
09-10-2007, 12:36 PM
take a scanner, so you can monitor race communicatons.

boats&bars
09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Get Mexico Insurance! [B] I have connections to get it through allstate.if you need. Bring cash and extra fuel and fuel filters.Also I.D. 2 forms if possible;) [B]Dont even think of guns or ammo. not even pellet guns. rent a sat phone and bring a CB.
and dont leave your motorhome unattended. The 1000 is great but if you are looking for trouble, its around every corner. pm me if you need ins.

79 HUSTLER
09-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Great point, BUY YOUR GUNS, AMMO AND DRUGS as soon as you get across the border in mexico.... Joking... Kinda.... :D :D :D :D

Riverkid
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Lot's of good info on Race-dezert.com forums. Motorola Iridium Satphones work well down there. Have a great time. Don't drive at night!

2Driver
09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write that. My orig plans (thinking) were to set up camp where gringos camp, hopefully close to Ensenada but far enough away to be away from the crap. Then, pick a cool spot and watch the action. It does not sound like that is not possible?
After reading your post I am thinking I might wait until the 425. At least there I am in Parker and I always get Media passes to traverse the course.
Thanks again and to everyone else that chimmed in.

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 03:41 PM
BajaBigDog,
What about Portacitas(sp) Rd. Trophy Trucks at 130+ or do they have a speed limit there now?
Is the race doing the Zoo road.
(Edit: just looked at the map. I guess not on the questions above. Wow that is a different course. Score doesn't have the map up yet)
Coco's corner and Bay of LA work. At what mile marker are they though? What time will the Trucks and Class 1's get there?
One thing about Baja, it is very hard to watch.
I passed on a 3 day ride to the Old Mill and Mikes this weekend from Santa Thomas. My Bro and 24 others had a 3 days blast. Sorry I missed it, but I had a good time with the wife and kids at home.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write that. My orig plans (thinking) were to set up camp where gringos camp, hopefully close to Ensenada but far enough away to be away from the crap. Then, pick a cool spot and watch the action. It does not sound like that is not possible?
After reading your post I am thinking I might wait until the 425. At least there I am in Parker and I always get Media passes to traverse the course.
Thanks again and to everyone else that chimmed in.
The course looks like it heads out to Ojos Negros and then out by El Alamo if I'm reading it correctly. It may also go to Valle De Trinidad and then head out the Powerline road back to the coast. If so, you will be able to find a spot to watch.
Look for a more detailed map. Score doesn't have it posted yet. www.score-international.com ( I think)
Sleeper CP

Baja Big Dog
09-10-2007, 04:14 PM
BajaBigDog,
What about Portacitas(sp) Rd. Trophy Trucks at 130+ or do they have a speed limit there now?
Is the race doing the Zoo road.
(Edit: just looked at the map. I guess not on the questions above. Wow that is a different course. Score doesn't have the map up yet)
Coco's corner and Bay of LA work. At what mile marker are they though? What time will the Trucks and Class 1's get there?
One thing about Baja, it is very hard to watch.
I passed on a 3 day ride to the Old Mill and Mikes this weekend from Santa Thomas. My Bro and 24 others had a 3 days blast. Sorry I missed it, but I had a good time with the wife and kids at home.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford Lover
Puerecitos road is paved from Santa Maria down to town, and if the course goes on the road there will be a speed limit, (doubtful it will go there). Zoo road is also doubtful, e don't mind however because it is a pain in the ass to cover that area chasing, you loose who ever goes to Felipe because it is too hard to get back to hwy 1, (about 400 miles!!).
Coco's is nice, some good racing but hard to get too, the road from hwy 1 is a mess, and after chase guys blaze through it , it will be a mess, a real tire buster, take spares. Bay of L.A. is great, they come onto the hwy about mile 25 on the road from hwy 1. the crowds are cool there. Not much racing because they go through town, and they have a speed limit. Pits are set up all over, many teams do driver changes there. approx 180 miles from El Rosario to the Bay of L.A., so get gas!!!
Let me know if you want to ride, we take tours down about every other weekend, look me up at bajaoffroad.com, Ill hook you up with the killer price!!
2Driver, I didn't want to scare you away, but if you have any doubts, I would avoid the whole Ensenada thing, like I said, it is a zoo, and this year they actually want us to go to TJ for a dog and pony show to Ensenada!! Not many folks want to do it, I know we wont, we lost about $150,000 in shit last year!!! Stole truck, trailer, prerunner, computers, driving equip, phones, and the worst thing.....STICKERS!!!! Ouch, that hurt the worst.
Without seeing the course, (wont be out until Oct) its hard to say if there is a good place to watch, again, one of the problems with Baja is you only get one chance, and you want to get in early, while most guys are running!!!

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
[QUOTE=Baja Big Dog;2781613]Puerecitos road is paved from Santa Maria down to town, and if the course goes on the road there will be a speed limit, (doubtful it will go there). Zoo road is also doubtful, e don't mind however because it is a pain in the ass to cover that area chasing, you loose who ever goes to Felipe because it is too hard to get back to hwy 1, (about 400 miles!!).
QUOTE]
In '94 when Ragland won the 1,000 to La Paz my friend Ricky Johnson(ex Moto-X racer, not Rick D. Johnson) introduced me to Ragland at a bar in La Paz the night after the race. I asked Ragland how he drove the Puerecitos Rd with those big dips in it. He said " I only lift once, the others I can hit at 135 to 140 and fly across them with no problems" I just shook my head and said "wow":jawdrop: .
Sleeper CP

bead
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
WHAT EVER YOU DO , DO NOT PARK YOUR RV ON AN OUT SIDE CORNER OF THE RACE COARSE. REFER TO " DUST TO GLORY"VIDEO . ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH THE VID:D O YA AND THE WOMEN ARE REALLY CHEAP , SO IVE BEEN TOLD:devil:

WetWillie
09-10-2007, 05:39 PM
read this...
http://surfermag.com/features/online...kedmexicobaja/
I read that story the other day and then talked to my brother who confirmed there is alot of crazyness happening in mexico right now..
He mentioned that so many of the wealthy mexicans are fleeing mexico for fear of kidnappings. They are just abandoning there homes and moving..
2 more FBI agent just moved into his department to work these cases. He mentioned if they see you driving and you appear to have money they will not hesitate to stop you and kidnap you or your entire party.
Most cases they ask for money. He mentioned $200k was very common. When and if you come up with that. They pick up that money and then ask for more.
My brother said the rocovery rate right now is about 25% 75% are never seen again.
I love mexico. Its my favorite place to ride. There is just alot of bad stuff happening down there right now..

shrek
09-10-2007, 08:20 PM
All this is good advise, from people that know what they are talking about.
But, whatever you do, buy mexican insurance from a States based reputable company like AAA. Do not buy from Instant Mexico Insurance, or any of those other "border" companies. They will keep you out of jail when there is an accident, but they are worthless if you need to make a claim.
My .02
Shrek

Riverkid
09-10-2007, 08:21 PM
But, whatever you do, buy mexican insurance from a States based reputable company like AAA. Do not buy from Instant Mexico Insurance, or any of those other "border" companies. They will keep you out of jail when there is an accident, but they are worthless if you need to make a claim.
My .02
Shrek
They ever (IMI) make it right with you?

beernut
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
and if someone speaks the lingo, that can make all the difference!!, bring gps,oh yeah watch the girls,they will take them in a hart-beat and you wont ever see them again! and dont even think about guns, (not even 1 bullit)think hair spray and a bic lighter,but if you need defense your already screwed, we used to go every year, back in the 80s and 90s, wont go now, and we do a dental clinic in cataje once a month (scorpions-bay, san juanico)the race usually goes through there

Boa1277
09-10-2007, 08:50 PM
The motorhome sounds cool but for what you would spend in gas I would fly to Cabo rent a car or a jeep and cruise North 50 or so miles I am sure you will find a good place to watch. It would probably be safer and at least you will be in Cabo for the party. Good Luck!

dc96819
09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow and the Mexicans complain how there being treated here.

shrek
09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
They ever (IMI) make it right with you?
NO.........not a dime.
Shrek

shrek
09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
and if someone speaks the lingo, that can make all the difference!!
My experience is quite the opposite.......the more you can communicate, the more they try to F with you.
We just play stupid, say we no understando and stick to that and they just get frustrated and leave us alone...........go on to the next guy that can communicate with them.........
Shrek

Sportin' Wood
09-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Here is a thread we had preparing for last years B1K.
http://rockbuggysupply.com/rbbs/index.php?topic=306.0
I stacked a bunch of good info in that thread. You can also read some of my poor grammer in my post race reports.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=91943165
Hope that helps.
As far as weapons, if you feel the need to bring something that protect's you I have found that any dog on a leash seems to frighten the local's and wasp spray and a lighter is a portable disposable flame thrower. Without fire I bet it would burn hell outta someone's eye's. Maybe consider some of that Bear repellent crap.
You have not lived untill you have driven the roads south.:D We usually drive after dark but with two trucks. I found the driving to be rather enjoyable at 3:00 am. Just you and crazy bus drivers are on the road that late/early.

Baja Big Dog
09-11-2007, 07:32 AM
My experience is quite the opposite.......the more you can communicate, the more they try to F with you.
We just play stupid, say we no understando and stick to that and they just get frustrated and leave us alone...........go on to the next guy that can communicate with them.........
Shrek
DO NOT speak to the Mexicans in spanish...good advise, and yes they will fock with you. There anywhere between 5 and 8 checkpoints between the border and Cabo, and the sooner you get through them the better off you are.
Insurance...Oscar Padilla is good, we use nothing but Discover Baja, if you are planning a long trip, the daily rate will get pretty high, you might want to look into the annual policy, sometimes its cheaper. Regardless of which one you use..DO NOT CROSS THE BORDER WITHOUT MEXICAN INSURANCE..PERIOD!!!
Huff mentioned you will be blamed if you are involved in an accident in Mexico, correct, you are guilty until proven innocent in Mex. If you have insurance and you didn't cause harm, or were not drinking (you guys whine about California drinking laws!!!) you will more than likely be allowed to leave.
(your insurance is void if you drink and drive in Mexico!!).
Hopefully this doom and gloom doesn't scare anyone away that is thinking about going, but if yo are the least bit hesitant....DON'T GO!!!, Baja is also my "heaven", but the times they are a changin!!:jawdrop:

2Driver
09-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Well I guess my other option is to try to hook up with a group of veterans some year. For now I think I am sticking to American racing on US soil. Come on Parker! :D
I have driven in Mexico several times but only as far as Ensenada and many years ago at that. I had a Federalli dismantle my truck's center console for no reason, then postpone us for 20 minutes without any reason or info. After that I swore never to go back, but I can't get enough of the off road $hit.

OutCole'd
09-11-2007, 07:46 AM
All this talk makes me a little nervous. I go down there every year for fishing. Never had a problem. We go to either Loreto or East Cape, are there problems in those towns also? I don't drive when I'm down there, we cab it.

4day!!
09-11-2007, 07:54 AM
i pre-ran the 1000 and pitted a couple of years ago. Awsome time! But the best stop we made was Anthony's:D :D

Cs19
09-11-2007, 08:04 AM
no guns, no drugs

Baja Big Dog
09-11-2007, 08:33 AM
All this talk makes me a little nervous. I go down there every year for fishing. Never had a problem. We go to either Loreto or East Cape, are there problems in those towns also? I don't drive when I'm down there, we cab it.
AHHH Billy, Loreto...the good life, sittin in front of your room at the Oasis, sippin a coldie, it don't get any better, a little dinner at El Nido...and life is good!!!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06293.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06291.jpg
Loreto is somewhat trouble free, the race ran through there last year for the first time, and it was a disaster, the crowds were terrible....

OutCole'd
09-11-2007, 08:37 AM
AHHH Billy, Loreto...the good life, sittin in front of your room at the Oasis, sippin a coldie, it don't get any better, a little dinner at El Nido...and life is good!!!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06293.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06291.jpg
Loreto is somewhat trouble free, the race ran through there last year for the first time, and it was a disaster, the crowds were terrible....
Never stayed at the Oasis. I've been to the La Pinta ONCE! and the main place we've stayed at it now called The Inn at Loreto Bay, pretty nice place. Beers at Quatro Alto are always cold.

Sportin' Wood
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Loreto was the most enjoyable part of last years 1000 for us. What a great town. It was real calm all week, got stuck in the sh!thole La purisma during the race, so I can't confirm or deny the nightmare BBD speaks of. For us Loreto was grand. I would go back there anytime.

Baja Big Dog
09-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Never stayed at the Oasis. I've been to the La Pinta ONCE! and the main place we've stayed at it now called The Inn at Loreto Bay, pretty nice place. Beers at Quatro Alto are always cold.
Dont forget taco's at McLulu's!!!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06520.jpg
Fine dining at its best!!!!...******DONT EAT THE COOKED RED CHILIES!!!****:mad:

Boa1277
09-11-2007, 05:35 PM
i pre-ran the 1000 and pitted a couple of years ago. Awsome time! But the best stop we made was Anthony's:D :D
The Monkey Bar is grand, but Paris has pretty much killed it the last 2 or 3 years. The Monkey Bar had actual stripping which was a big change at the 500, not that I have ever been, I just go for the cheeseburgers.:D

stoker22405
09-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a great place to vacation....

OutCole'd
09-11-2007, 08:30 PM
Dont forget taco's at McLulu's!!!
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06520.jpg
Fine dining at its best!!!!...******DONT EAT THE COOKED RED CHILIES!!!****:mad:
That pic makes me thirsty for an ice cold Pacifico...... Thanks!

PaPaG
09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a great place to vacation....
Yep, sounds like such a good time, I am going to pack the family and friends and head right down to that lovely country for an adventure...Are you FOCKing kidding me, I rather rot away in the AZ or NV desert than go down and deal with all that bullshiat, been there before and you could not drag me there again....Watch your women, watch your property and watch your money is all I can say....

Sleeper CP
09-12-2007, 06:31 PM
But, whatever you do, buy mexican insurance from a States based reputable company like AAA. Do not buy from Instant Mexico Insurance, or any of those other "border" companies. They will keep you out of jail when there is an accident, but they are worthless if you need to make a claim.My .02
Shrek
I had the same experiance the one time I needed them. Kept us out of jail, but as far as getting them to pay for anything ..It was worse than pulling teeth from a lions mouth. They had more reasons and excuses to not pay we finally just ate it.
Sleeper CP

Baja Big Dog
09-12-2007, 09:01 PM
I had the same experiance the one time I needed them. Kept us out of jail, but as far as getting them to pay for anything ..It was worse than pulling teeth from a lions mouth. They had more reasons and excuses to not pay we finally just ate it.
Sleeper CP
Had Oscar Padilla, got hit and rolled the ole stabin cabin VW van, wound up in ambulance taken to the border and the hospital in the states, they gave me about 500 bucks more than the best price I could get up here, and they paid off in about two weeks...

Baja Big Dog
09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Yep, sounds like such a good time, I am going to pack the family and friends and head right down to that lovely country for an adventure...Are you FOCKing kidding me, I rather rot away in the AZ or NV desert than go down and deal with all that bullshiat, been there before and you could not drag me there again....Watch your women, watch your property and watch your money is all I can say....
well at least one person got the point, we dont want more people down there
besides they wont let you plug in your car down there!!!:D

Sleeper CP
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Had Oscar Padilla, got hit and rolled the ole stabin cabin VW van, wound up in ambulance taken to the border and the hospital in the states, they gave me about 500 bucks more than the best price I could get up here, and they paid off in about two weeks...
Thanks I now know who to use.
The dirt bike riding is just to good to pass on. We have never really had a problem in the past 14 years or so. Our riding buddy since '88.
But like you said " you really don't want more people down there anyway."
The riding trails from Tecate to Mikes just get beat up so fast now.
For our trips we now rent two sat phones.
Sleeper CP

PaPaG
09-13-2007, 10:31 AM
well at least one person got the point, we dont want more people down there
besides they wont let you plug in your car down there!!!:D
Hey buddy "We dont want more people down there" what you become a mexican national now? :D
You won't ever have to worry about me coming down there or plugging anything in down there...that place is a shiat hole (unless of course they start letting Americans in with guns) then who knows lol :D