PDA

View Full Version : Words

topless
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
It really irks me when people say conversate instead of converse, or orientated instead of oriented and irregarless instead of regardless.Even Axe instead of ask makes my skin crawl. Maybe I'm wrong, but I learned english differently. :mad:
What words irk you? (or is irk even a word?)

yopengo
09-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Taxes :eek: :D

Biglue
09-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Your instead of you're. Alison instead of Allison. :mad: :)

topless
09-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Your instead of you're. Alison instead of Allison. :mad: :)Nobody axed you, go back to ISL.:D :mad:

Biglue
09-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Nobody axed you, go back to ISL.:D :mad:
Don't make us ask up your name like we did Bryan's. :mad: :D

centerhill condor
09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
"UM" is not a word!
"like"...tell me what it is not what "like".
disrespect is a noun not a verb. disrespected is not a word.
CC

topless
09-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Don't make us ask up your name like we did Bryan's. :mad: :DOh so you think that's going to hurt my feelings? I think not.:jawdrop:

thatguy
09-10-2007, 01:11 PM
"UM" is not a word!
CC
I believe ALL them there disfunctionateding words can be found in the "Ebonics" primer. No disrespectening intending on your Persons.
The one word that irks me is "boatsandblondes".
Tommy

topless
09-10-2007, 01:11 PM
"UM" is not a word!
CC
Would you rather it say unrespected?

topless
09-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I believe ALL them there disfunctionateding words can be found in the "Ebonics" primer. No disrespectening intending on your Persons.
The one word that irks me is "boatsandblondes".
TommyIs LMAO a word?:idea:

River Lynchmob
09-10-2007, 01:13 PM
disrespectful

BarryMac
09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
aint :mad:

HalletDave
09-10-2007, 01:18 PM
:idea:
I can't believe the misusage of "then" & "than" on this forum. :eek:
Take that all you GRAMMAR NAZIS. :D

centerhill condor
aint :mad:
;)

thatguy
restraining order

Biglue
Tom Brown. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ziggy
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Prolly :mad:

eliminatedsprinter
09-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Disrespected and irregardless both bug me.

TYLER DURDEN
09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Kilrtoy Instead Of Dumbass

HalletDave
09-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Yet another.
where's everybody at??????? :D

River Lynchmob
09-10-2007, 01:23 PM
cos in stead of because

topless
Conversate bugs me the most.

rrrr
:rolleyes:
The CORRECT word is "misuse".
"Misusage" is not proper.
Sheesh.
:D :D

burtandnancy2
09-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm "wif" you on that...

centerhill condor
09-10-2007, 01:27 PM
why do they report, "he pleaded guilty"...instead of, "he pled guilty"?
CC

Glamasu
09-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Irk.....:D

centerhill condor
09-10-2007, 01:34 PM
"looks like" should be replaced with "appears as if".
there's quite a few to be picky..."blood mobile" should be "sanguine (sp) mobile" or "blood van"...
and then there's "1000% sure"...
CC

eliminatedsprinter
09-10-2007, 01:36 PM
How about "to boldly go" instead of to go boldly??

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 01:41 PM
One of mine is when people say "got" when they mean "have." Example: "I gotta go to the store." vs "I have to go to the store."
It's used all the time. "Got" implies an exchange from the infinitive "to get." However, it's best not to correct people, they never seem to forget it, even several months later. :D (see sig)

Biglue
09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
One of mine is when people say "got" when they mean "have." Example: "I gotta go to the store." vs "I have to go to the store."
It's used all the time. "Got" implies an exchange from the infinitive "to get." However, it's best not to correct people, they never seem to forget it, even several months later. :D (see sig)
Mrs. Wood.....I got to go pee. :D :D :D

Kachina26
09-10-2007, 01:49 PM
supposibly
"could care less"

milkmoney
09-10-2007, 01:49 PM
o is a letter and 0 is a number i correct people all the time on that one usually daily

Biglue
09-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I hate it when people refer to BigLue as a Mexican instead of Mesican :mad:
It's Messican. :mad: :)

BarryMac
09-10-2007, 01:57 PM
supposebly... it's D, like in DUMBASS...:mad:

BarryMac
09-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I hate it when people refer to BigLue as a Mexican instead of Mesican :mad:
I thought he was blaxican??? Oh that's 460...

Miss Perfect
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
There, their and they're. Your and you're bug me too. Everything else I could care less about. I gotta...errr gots to.... errr.... I have to go. :D

topless
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
How about could of instead of could have.

Oldsquirt
09-10-2007, 02:07 PM
At work, there are several individuals who use "acrost" instead of "across".
On the boards, one of my pet peeves would be the use of "would of", "could of", "should of" , etc.,
rather than the correct "would have", "could have", "should have"
or the appropriate contractions, "would've", "could've", "should've".
disrespect is a noun not a verb.
CC
It is both a noun and transitive verb. :)

vee-driven
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
When my friends black friends say ambulance or libarie or any words they throw izzle on the end or fool, just basically any ghetto terd opening their mouth.

Oldsquirt
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
How about could of instead of could have.
I see you beat me to that one....I type toooooooo sloooooow. :)

ratso
09-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Guilty!:jawdrop: But, I do it on purpose, kinda like woulda coulda shoulda...:D

Her454
09-10-2007, 02:11 PM
At work, there are several individuals who use "acrost" instead of "across".
On the boards, one of my pet peeves would be the use of "would of", "could of", "should of" , etc.,
rather than the correct "would have", "could have", "should have"
or the appropriate contractions, "would've", "could've", "should've".
It is both a noun and transitive verb. :)
Ya know, I been a meanin to tell you that I run acrost some old pics of your boat and I would of sent them to ya if I could of afforded a stamp and I know I should of but Im gettin lazy in my old age.:D ;)

OutCole'd
09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Let me axe you a question.:mad: :mad:

Captain Dan
09-10-2007, 02:21 PM
o is a letter and 0 is a number i correct people all the time on that one usually daily
not on the telephone - there is no zero on the telephone and some people will still say it
I personally have a problem with "my bad", or any ghetto speak for that matter.

'75 Miller
09-10-2007, 02:31 PM
peeps, bling, and any/all other ghetto-speak used by white, middle-class people is pretty lame IMO.
Any izzie, izzle crap is a joke too.

Mardonzi
09-10-2007, 02:33 PM
how about people who uze Legal fees instead of sucking the life blood from you through your waller??

HalletDave
09-10-2007, 02:47 PM
:rolleyes:
The CORRECT word is "misuse".
"Misusage" is not proper.
Sheesh.
Not according to Webster's... misusage, 2. improper application, as of words.
So there you wannabe GN. :D :D
How are you doing Ron?:) :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
How about "to boldly go" instead of to go boldly??
split infinitive :mad:
:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Mrs. Wood.....I got to go pee. :D :D :D
Exactly!!!

Sleek-Jet
09-10-2007, 03:03 PM
ya'll are talkin' like a bunch of fags and tards...

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM
:mad: "my bad" drives me insane!! :mad: Where the heck did that stupid-ass saying come from? Why do people say that instead of "I'm sorry, or "my mistake."
The thing is, the way we speak is different than the way we write, but in emails and bulletin boards, we often write the way we speak. It appears less formal. I don't have a problem with it really, though some might disagree :D I am guilty of it myself. I think most of us here realize that. Honestly, it doesn't get brought up very often, IMO.
My pet peeve is when someone comes on and completes one of the following two situations: (1) calling someone and idiot/dumbass, etc, and (2) correcting another's grammar/spelling with a post that has it's own grammar and/or spelling issues. Listen, don't call someone and idiot or stupid without checking your spelling and puntuation! It makes you look like a bigger idiot. And especially don't correct someone else for spelling and then have a word misspelled! :rolleyes:
There was one time I saw last week a guy misspelled a word, was called on it in a joking way, came back all short and pissed off telling the corrector that (in so many words) "here was the correct spelling" and "did you have trouble looking it up in the dictionary since you are too stupid to know what it means." Well, the second spelling was also wrong. :messedup:

Biglue
09-10-2007, 03:18 PM
:mad: "my bad" drives me insane!! :mad: Where the heck did that stupid-ass saying come from? Why do people say that instead of "I'm sorry, or "my mistake."
The thing is, the way we speak is different than the way we write, but in emails and bulletin boards, we often write the way we speak. It appears less formal. I don't have a problem with it really, though some might disagree :D I am guilty of it myself. I think most of us here realize that. Honestly, it doesn't get brought up very often, IMO.
My pet peeve is when someone comes on and completes one of the following two situations: (1) calling someone and idiot/dumbass, etc, and (2) correcting another's grammar/spelling with a post that has it's own grammar and/or spelling issues. Listen, don't call someone and idiot or stupid without checking your spelling and puntuation! It makes you look like a bigger idiot. And especially don't correct someone else for spelling and then have a word misspelled! :rolleyes:
There was one time I saw last week a guy misspelled a word, was called on it in a joking way, came back all short and pissed off telling the corrector that (in so many words) "here was the correct spelling" and "did you have trouble looking it up in the dictionary since you are too stupid to know what it means." Well, the second spelling was also wrong. :messedup:
Sorry. :D But you know that guy had it coming. LMAO.
Reading that guy's posting is almost migraine inducing. :mad: :)

Kachina26
09-10-2007, 03:29 PM
D'OH!!!

Sleek-Jet
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
D'OH!!!
Her bad... :D

RitcheyRch
09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Axe is the only one that can think of that really bothers me. Hate when people say "can I axe you a question"

Flyinbowtie
09-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I know this is going to offend teachers in public education, so let me start by saying that is not my intent; I am just sharing some of my personal observations.
Our public schools are not teaching our children to read and write the language of the realm in any real sense of the word.
I spent the majority of my career, "grading papers", which was my term for reading and rejecting police reports prepared by people educated by the school system in California. Thankfully, some were college graduates, and they had some skill in the written word.
However, most were functionally illiterate, and we spent an inordinate amount of time simply teaching them how to write. We actually added two weeks to our Field Training Program to focus on basic composition skills. After that monumental task was finished, (or the recruit was fired), we then taught them to write police reports.
For years I blamed this on kids not trying, parents not pushing, etc.
Then I had an encounter with an alleged English Teacher at the local High School. I had spent several hours working with my son preparing a report that was required as part of his graduation process.
The document was nearly perfect. Okay, it was perfect.
He brought it home and showed it to me. The teacher had made several corrections on the document. All of her corrections were wrong. The original document as turned in was correct.
I flamed out. I made an appointment and met with her the next day.
She corrected her corrections. The document was perfect.
This clarified, for me anyway, why our local recruit pool for deputy sheriff trainees was so lacking in basic composition skills.
A dumbass Sergeant with a B.S. in Criminal Justice had a better grasp of the basics of the mechanics of English Composition and simple report writing than a tenured High School English Teacher.
This isn't good, folks.
Sadly, my former co-workers tell me that the situation continues with recruit report writing, but the agency now does some screening at the application level.
They make applicants hand write the first two or three documents necessary in the process, while under direct observation, so the agency gets a gut feel for whether or not the applicant can freakin' write.
Again, no offense to the teachers out there, but if I was raising kids today, and had 20-20 hindsight, they would be going to private schools.
Oh, and the school I am talking about proudly displays all sorts of high awards for SAT scores, wins state competitions for "School-o-the-year", etc.
Kids today don't read.
They watch MTV, and learn how to talk from the garbage they see there.
We are dumbing ourselves down to a third-world level via our children. They are watching TV, and setting their personal standards based on the worst possible role models.
Flame suit on, shields up, cloaking device and warp drive on stand by...:D

topless
09-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I know this is going to offend teachers in public education, so let me start by saying that is not my intent; I am just sharing some of my personal observations.
Our public schools are not teaching our children to read and write the language of the realm in any real sense of the word.
I spent the majority of my career, "grading papers", which was my term for reading and rejecting police reports prepared by people educated by the school system in California. Thankfully, some were college graduates, and they had some skill in the written word.
However, most were functionally illiterate, and we spent an inordinate amount of time simply teaching them how to write. We actually added two weeks to our Field Training Program to focus on basic composition skills. After that monumental task was finished, (or the recruit was fired), we then taught them to write police reports.
Then I had an encounter with an alleged English Teacher at the local High School. I had spent several hours working with my son preparing a report that was required as part of his graduation process.
He brought it home and showed it to me. The teacher had made several corrections on the document. All of her corrections were wrong. The original document as turned in was correct.
This clarified, for me anyway, why our local recruit pool for deputy sheriff trainees was so lacking in basic composition skills.
A dumbass Sergeant with a B.S. in Criminal Justice had a better grasp of the basics of the mechanics of English Composition and simple report writing than a tenured High School English Teacher.
This isn't good, folks.
Sadly, my former co-workers tell me that the situation continues with recruit report writing, but the agency now does some screening at the application level.
They make applicants hand write the first two or three documents necessary in the process, while under direct observation, so the agency gets a gut feel for whether or not the applicant can freakin' write.
Again, no offense to the teachers out there, but if I was raising kids today, and had 20-20 hindsight, they would be going to private schools.
Oh, and the school I am talking about proudly displays all sorts of high awards for SAT scores, wins state competitions for "School-o-the-year", etc.
Kids today don't read.
We are dumbing ourselves down to a third-world level via our children. They are watching TV, and setting their personal standards based on the worst possible role models.
Amen...............(I hope that's a word)

topless
09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
" orientated instead of oriented "
Top, would use splain ta uss dummys-> how you come to the conclusion that either of these terms is right or wrong. They are both correct according to my chinese dictionary.
Schoolmarm, correct YOUR spelling please as we wouldn't want to set a bad example for the children." puntuation!"
RioSo Rio, I know you luvs me an all, but we don't speak Chinese here so we need to exersize proper gramar here in the US of A. Howz that fer proper ingish?:D

uvindex
09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I learned english differently. :mad:
What words irk you? (or is irk even a word?)I think you meant English. :D
Ever check out how folks spell the word "definitely" on this very site? :)
Search for "definetly"... you'll get 500 hits (the search function quits at 500).
Search for "definately"... same thing, 500 hits (who knows how many there really are?)

Sleek-Jet
09-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I think you meant English. :D
Ever check out how folks spell the word "definitely" on this very site? :)
Search for "definetly"... you'll get 500 hits (the search function quits at 500).
Search for "definately"... same thing, 500 hits (who knows how many there really are?)
I like to use all three... just to mix things up a bit... :D

brianthomas
09-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I can't count the number of times I have been listening to someone and they throw in an "axe" instead of ask. Their estimated IQ just dropped by at least half. That is if I can even comprehend what they are speaking about as my mind issues a dumbass alert.
One of the simplest is the difference between two, to and too. I believe I see too not used where it should be several times each day. Strange how certain little things set you off.
I really wish I had paid more attention in spelling class, it is my weakness.

AirtimeLavey
09-10-2007, 04:32 PM
"whatnot". Where did that come from and why? Ex. "What are you doing today?" "Just working around the house and whatnot." Well, I don't know what not, but you're not, knothead. :rolleyes: :D
Or.....I gotta be to work at 8 tomorrow. :rolleyes:

uvindex
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Well, except for the fact that whatnot is actually a real word.Yes indeed -- the OED shows examples of usage as far back as 1540. :)

AirtimeLavey
09-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, except for the fact that whatnot is actually a real word.
Dohhhh! You're right! My bad and whatnot....
Main Entry: 1what·not
Pronunciation: 'hwät-"nät, 'wät-, '(h)w&t-
Function: pronoun
Etymology: what not?
: any of various other things that might also be mentioned <paper clips, pins, and whatnot>

milkmoney
09-10-2007, 04:49 PM
not on the telephone - there is no zero on the telephone and some people will still say it
the phone has a zero which is a number and dial zero for the operator, you think it would refer to the letter being that operator is a word....? when people say my bad i return with my good just as stupid and lazy.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
D'OH!!!
LMAO! It happens to the best of us!

'75 Miller
09-10-2007, 04:58 PM
represent. The word is fine, but the context in which certain brain-dead people use it bugs the hell out of me.
"He representin'"
"you better represent"

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
This isn't good, folks.
Kids today don't read.
I wish I could disagree with you. No flaming from me. We were supposed to work with the English Dept (I teach history) and teach the kids how to create a research paper MLA style (that's a specific way to cite research sources). The English teachers were supposed to teach the kids how to complete a works cited page (different than a bibliography, but they insisted on calling it that) and edit the rough draft. We history teachers were supposed to teach them how to research and cite sources within the document and grade for content. I ended up having to teach the kids how to do the works cited page also because the English teachers were just too busy :rolleyes: Then, I had one specific teacher who edited the works cited page and told the students to do it differently! When I graded the final paper I thought, "Why are these pages all wrong? I taught them how to do it." Then I looked at the rough draft and saw he had told them it was wrong. :mad: I'm not an English teacher, but I had made them instructions direct from the MLA (Modern Language Association) handboook! :mad: :mad: :mad: So I couldn't punish the kid for it. I was so mad, that was the ONLY thing he had to do and he messed it up.
I know that was a long boring story, but I'm still burned about it. I'm just going to do the whole thing myself this year. They cried about the little bit they did anyway. The citing of work is a Language Arts standard, we thought we were helping them out. :rolleyes:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 05:07 PM
http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2934/baseballguylq0.gif (http://imageshack.us)
:D :D :D :D
Hey, at least you are honest and admit it. I admire that :D
And I will thank you for not pointing out my typo for the umpteenth time (is umteenth a word? ) :idea:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Keep in mind, the language that you speak now is nothing like the Queen's English, so take a pill and stop calling everybody that doesn't speak the same as you "brain dead", "ghetto" or whatever the appropriate slang of the day might happen to be.
There's maybe five people on this forum that should be talking about spelling, punctuation and grammar.
You mean "There ARE maybe five people. . . " :D
LOL, I agree.

HM
09-10-2007, 05:24 PM
You mean "There ARE maybe five people. . . " :D
LOL, I agree.
He didn't claim to be one of them. :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Actually, I think "umteenth" is "umpteenth" and yes, it's a word. LOL, I'm done with this. I'm going to have to start kicking myself in the a$$ if I don't leave. :D

HM
09-10-2007, 05:28 PM
No, I never came right out and said it. You are correct. ;)
It is o.k. I like your misuse of the word is...reminds me of Bill Clinton. "Depends on your definition of "is". :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
He didn't claim to be one of them. :D
It was implied :)

HM
09-10-2007, 05:29 PM
It was implied :)
No...you inferred it. :D

HM
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I just did that for effect. :D
I meant to do that...ha ha. <----said in a Pee Wee Herman voice :D

HM
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Are you kicking your own ass yet? :D
Do you mind?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, an inference is an educated guess based on background knowledge, so yes, you could be correct about that.
And yes, I'm kicking my own ass all the way to the kitchen because everyone is starving. Except me, I had plenty of caffeine to keep the hunger away. Who needs food? :D

HM
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, an inference is an educated guess based on background knowledge, so yes, you could be correct about that.
And yes, I'm kicking my own ass all the way to the kitchen because everyone is starving. Except me, I had plenty of caffeine to keep the hunger away. Who needs food? :D
What ever. :D
BTW - "Do you mind" was a quote from "Liar Liar" when Jim Carey is kicking his own ass in the bathroom when someone walks in and asks him what he is doing. Jim Carey responds "I'm kicking my ass....do you mind!?!?!?!" I was hoping you would infer that. :D

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 05:45 PM
That would be correct:)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
What ever. :D
BTW - "Do you mind" was a quote from "Liar Liar" when Jim Carey is kicking his own ass in the bathroom when someone walks in and asks him what he is doing. Jim Carey responds "I'm kicking my ass....do you mind!?!?!?!" I was hoping you would infer that. :D
? Would that be an inference, or would that be an assumption of what you meant?:confused:
Just asking:idea: or is that six of one and a half dozen of another?
Sleeper CP

beerjet
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Pinche bolla de pendejos ! No saben lo que ablan . Luego nomas ablan a lo pendejo y puras pinches babosadas . Porque no se ponen a trabajar en ves de andar aqui gastando el tiempo . Se deberian a poner a ablar en espaniol. Ese es el lenguaje de los estados unidos o por lo menos de california . Como me dan lastima esta junta de idiotas . :D

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Pinche bolla de pendejos ! No saben lo que ablan . Luego nomas ablan a lo pendejo y puras pinches babosadas . Porque no se ponen a trabajar en ves de andar aqui gastando el tiempo . Se deberian a poner a ablar en espaniol. Ese es el lenguaje de los estados unidos o por lo menos de california . Como me dan lastima esta junta de idiotas . :D
Que ?
Sleeper CP

beerjet
09-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Que ?
Sleeper CP
Si te digo . No me entiendes .:rolleyes:

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 06:04 PM
Inference is a stronger form of supposition than assume. Assume is like "Well, it was hot today, so I assume it will be hot tomorrow." You don't know for sure, you're just guessing. When you infer, you come to a conclusion based on the facts presented.
Thanks for the clarification. Last night I was assuming someone on another thread was an a$$hole. Now I know that I actually infered it.:D ;)
Thanks again:)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

thatguy
09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Sorry. :D But you know that guy had it coming. LMAO.
Reading that guy's posting is almost migraine inducing. :mad: :)
Um, Thatguy? :eek:
Tommy

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 06:08 PM
They probably implied it. :D
That, they did.:D
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Um, Thatguy? :eek:
Tommy
Just a coincidence I'm sure;)
Sleeper CP

thatguy
09-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Just a coincidence I'm sure;)
Sleeper CP
What are you "implying, inferring, concluding?" :D ;)
BTW, does the question mark go inside the quotations, like above,or outside?
I quit school in 10th grade and was stoned alot before that.
Tommy

thatguy
09-10-2007, 06:31 PM
If the question is inside the quotes, then the question mark goes inside the quotation marks.
Example of the alternative: Do you like to dance to the song "Muskrat Love"?
Thank You! That was a clear explanation. (And a good example!)
BTW, Always disliked that song intensly. Tommy :)

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
If the question is inside the quotes, then the question mark goes inside the quotation marks.
Example of the alternative: Do you like to dance to the song "Muskrat Love"?
Of all the songs, how did you come up with that? That maybe more revealing than you know:idea:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-10-2007, 06:55 PM
They probably implied it. :D
Pretty sure he said "someONE."
Tag. You're it. :D

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Yes, I just pulled muskrats out of my ass. :D
Are you sure it wasn't a Gerbil?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
09-10-2007, 07:01 PM
What are you "implying, inferring, concluding?" :D ;)
BTW, does the question mark go inside the quotations, like above,or outside?
I quit school in 10th grade and was stoned alot before that.
Tommy
I have concluded that your writing is not annoying. :D
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

'75 Miller
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Keep in mind, the language that you speak now is nothing like the Queen's English, so take a pill and stop calling everybody that doesn't speak the same as you "brain dead", "ghetto" or whatever the appropriate slang of the day might happen to be.
Who said anything about the Queen's English? Though you mentioned no names, I know who you're talking about.
The "words" I listed are, in fact, ghetto ebonic crap terms. Spewed, originally by morons, and adopted by others who actually have a brain, but think it's somehow cool to sound like an idiot. I don't want or expect everyone to speak perfect english, but inventing "words" like bling and izzle seems retarded to me.
And thanks, but I'll pass on the pills.

topless
09-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Damn!!! I thought this thread would only get a few responses. I guess we have more literate people here than once suspected. Whodda thunk it?:eek:

'75 Miller
09-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Way to infer. :rolleyes:
Your point would be so much less smug if you didn't try to make it so obviously racial. You're very smug.
Racial? As you know I made no mention of race. I spoke only of butchered/invented words originated by morons and parroted by folks that know better. If that's perceived as racial then....well I don't know how to respond. To say that I "made it obviously racial" is ridiculous. If a black man says something stupid am I not supposed to say anything because I'm not black?

OGShocker
09-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Basically all words derived from Necklish, Spanglish and Ebonics, piss me off.

'75 Miller
09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Basically all words derived from Necklish, Spanglish and Ebonics, piss me off.
NECKLISH!:D Never heard that one before. That's good shit.:D

Rexone
09-10-2007, 09:39 PM
How do you folks feel about run on sentences? That shit bugs the hell outta me. :)

topless
09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
How do you folks feel about run on sentences? That shit bugs the hell outta me. :)
I feel offended.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sleeper CP
09-11-2007, 06:52 AM
What's a run on sentence by the way I hope I didn't offened ShockwaveBob with the Gerbil comment?;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

photo chick
09-11-2007, 07:13 AM
What's a run on sentence by the way I hope I didn't offened ShockwaveBob with the Gerbil comment?;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
I believe it's when someone has a sentence that just keeps going on about several different subjects and never stops with a period and begins a new sentence but contiues to go on and on and then takes a turn but never ends which is very annoying especially when on HB and you're trying to understand what the person is saying but you just can't get past the fact that they keep continuing with the same sentence......:D :D :D ;)
I have a problem with people using the word advise when they are really asking for advice!!
Also, I was in Gadsden, AL recently where the word axed is used way too much!! Another one I learnt (yes learnt) while there was rant...this is used when you want to know how someone's boat ran... Such as " I wanted to axe you how yer boat rant, can you learnt me?"

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Oh, I inferred he was referring to a group of people. :D :p
Gotcha. Marco! Polo!
I did that on purpose, just to see if you'd catch it. :D
LOL

topless
09-11-2007, 07:58 AM
NECKLISH!:D Never heard that one before. That's good shit.:D
That's jewely dumbass!!!

Sleeper CP
09-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Also, I was in Gadsden, AL recently where the word axed is used way too much!! Another one I learnt (yes learnt) while there was rant...this is used when you want to know how someone's boat ran... Such as " I wanted to axe you how yer boat rant, can you learnt me?"
Can I axe you a question, " Were did you learnt to talk english?"
I found out some time ago that axe is more of a regional thing than a "Black Thang". It bugs the hell out of me either way.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

topless
09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Can I axe you a question, " Were did you learnt to talk english?"
I found out some time ago that axe is more of a regional thing than a "Black Thang". It bugs the hell out of me either way.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford LoverAn axe is a tool for southerners to chop wood with. Out here in California, they use a jar of vasoline and the left hand.:jawdrop:

porknbeanr
09-11-2007, 08:33 AM
You can axe me anything, expecially if it about propper spelling and grammer:sqeyes:

centerhill condor
09-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Your point would be so much less smug if you didn't try to make it so obviously racial.
race card.
crisis situation...really now, isn't a crisis already a situation?
CC

Old Hawaiian Cruiser
09-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I didn't read the whole post just 3 pages, I really hate it when people call a photograph a pitcher instead of a picture. A pitcher is someone that throws a ball at a batter or something you serve ice tea in. A picture could be a painting or a photograph.
Just my .02 cents.
OHC

Sleeper CP
09-11-2007, 03:18 PM
I believe it's when someone has a sentence that just keeps going on about several different subjects and never stops with a period and begins a new sentence but contiues to go on and on and then takes a turn but never ends which is very annoying especially when on HB and you're trying to understand what the person is saying but you just can't get past the fact that they keep continuing with the same sentence......:D :D :D ;)
?"
Just wanted to say nice:D :D :D :D :D
I didn't have the time when I did my short one.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

topless
09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I hate when people say hunerd instead of hundred.

Captain Dan
09-11-2007, 03:37 PM
nuke y'ler
perk y'later
and esc y'later
all sound bad, but are approved in Crawford Texas

topless
09-11-2007, 03:38 PM
nuke y'ler
perk y'later
and esc y'later
all sound bad, but are approved in Crawford TexasThey also warsh their cars.

Captain Dan
09-11-2007, 03:47 PM
They also warsh their cars.
And drink Coroner

RitcheyRch
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
My ex-wife always writes telling me she is going to take our daughter cloths shopping.

topless
09-11-2007, 03:53 PM
And drink Coronerwhile they're fixin ta whoop the yungun.

Wet Dream
09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Once spelled NATSI on here...I'm not joking. :D

H2OT TIMES
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm with you on Irregardless. I also want to know when Method became methodology.

Wet Dream
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Idears (Ideas) F'ing New Yorkers and New Englanders really know how to screw up the english language. :mad:

H2OT TIMES
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
nuke y'ler
perk y'later
and esc y'later
all sound bad, but are approved in Crawford Texas
Ah yes Crawford, home of floorscent lot bub, and the Tyota Camra. You gonna luv the tyota after ya drive it a few hunert malls.

Wet Dream
09-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Axe instead of ask makes my skin crawl.
We've found the one word that whites can say...and blacks can't. :D

photo chick
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
My ex-wife always writes telling me she is going to take our daughter cloths shopping.
She could be shopping for table cloths! :D

RitcheyRch
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Exactly.
She could be shopping for table cloths! :D

topless
09-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Some of them po' white folk even change the ol' in the car.

photo chick
09-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Ok I have 2 questions;
Does one chuck the ball or chunk the ball?
Does one stub their toe or stump their toe?
The answer will vary depending on where you are from.......................

topless
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Ok I have 2 questions;
Does one chuck the ball or chunk the ball?
Does one stub their toe or stump their toe?
The answer will vary depending on where you are from.......................I don't rightly know.:idea:

photo chick
09-11-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't rightly know.:idea:
Oh come on......being from Texas you may get it wrong though :jawdrop: ;)

topless
09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Oh come on......being from Texas you may get it wrong though :jawdrop: ;)OK fine then, it's chuck the ball and stub your toe. Are you happy now?:)

photo chick
09-11-2007, 06:38 PM
OK fine then, it's chuck the ball and stub your toe. Are you happy now?:)
Yes I'm very happy! :D People here in Texas and Oklahoma say "I'm going to chunk you the ball" and "Ouch I just stumped my toe"
Everyone of them will argue...tell the cows come home....that it's the correct term!!! :mad:

Jbb
09-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Yes I'm very happy! :D People here in Texas and Oklahoma say "I'm going to chunk you the ball" and "Ouch I just stumped my toe"
Everyone of them will argue...tell the cows come home....that it's the correct term!!! :mad:
....Isn't it ......till the cows come home?...
:p

topless
09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Miss perfect grammar made a little mistake. LOL:D :D Now go tell those outback hillbilly hicks to go finish 3rd grade.

photo chick
09-12-2007, 03:56 AM
....Isn't it ......till the cows come home?...
:p
I meant to do that..........:rolleyes:

Jbb
09-12-2007, 03:58 AM
I meant to do that..........:rolleyes:
:cool: