PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Trim Unit Question

HavasuDreamin'
03-20-2002, 08:56 AM
Last summer, the trim switch that I placed the previous winter on the underside of my motor cowling faltered and stuck in the "UP" position. It made ugly sounds once it tilted fully upright as the solenoid did not stop. To get it to stop, I hit the down button on my wheel and of course it made more ugly sounds before it finally stopped. I disconnected it to get through the trip, and then mounted a new switch. The new switch started to falter after a couple of uses.
First, my trim unit sounds puiny now and I think something was damaged. It does not move nearly as fast as it use to prior to the incident and sounds like it is moving slower. A buddy of mine told me to replace the trim motor. He said most likely I stripped out some gears in it. Does this sound right? If so, what will a new trim motor cost me for a 2.4L Merc and how hard is it to install?
Second, I believe the water coming off the boat at speed destroyed both my trim switchs causing them to falter. I would like to keep a switch there as it makes it easy to put the motor brace on for towing. Does anyone know where I can get a water proof trim switch to mount on my cowling? Thanks. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited March 20, 2002).]

snappertapper
03-20-2002, 04:56 PM
i think you may have burnt the armature on the trim motor you should just buy a new one they run about 100-150 dollars fairly easy to replace and i dont believe there is any gears in a trim motor but as far as the switches i would put either 3m 5200 on them or any type of marine sealent this should stop all the problems email me wiht any more wuestions at bogfosh1229@aol.com

HavasuDreamin'
03-21-2002, 06:29 AM
Thanks. I thought my buddy was right. Just wanted to confirm and make sure I wasn't replacing parts for nothing. What were those switch types again???? 3m 5200? Never heard of that? Is this an off the shelf switch?

Boatmaster
03-21-2002, 06:53 AM
HD DON'T use 5200 on that cowling switch, if it ever fails again you will never get it out of your cowl! Merc has a new switch out that is sealed much better, I will look up the part # today and post it latter.

snappertapper
03-21-2002, 07:00 AM
5200 is a marine sealent and yes with some acetone it will come off but i would use a aqua power trim switch

HavasuDreamin'
03-21-2002, 07:03 AM
Thank you Snapper and Boatmaster. That part number would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I have something to do this weekend! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

snappertapper
03-21-2002, 12:36 PM
i will try and find the part number but i think any kind of aftermarket switch will be just as good

HavasuDreamin'
03-21-2002, 12:40 PM
Probably cheaper than a Mercury Switch too. I will look for a water tight switch. Thanks.

snappertapper
03-21-2002, 01:11 PM
like i said connect the wires before you put the switch in place then cover the back of the switch with 5200 it will seal everything