PDA

View Full Version : hesitation

hotrod56cars
09-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Some time ago my family boats 75 HP Mariner 2 stroke outboard had a HUGE backfire followed by a very small fuel fire. I'm pretty sure those were caused by lack of maintenence/fouled plugs. The engine ran excellant before that backfire/fire day. I repaired the couple of wires that got damaged from the fire and replaced the spark plugs. It runs real well after the plugs are changed but only for about 3 hours and then it starts hesitating during acceleration from idle, sometimes it decides to not idle at all. I figured out that when it's hesitating from idle that if I turn the electric choke on for just a second the engine will "catch up with itself" and run well until I lower the engine speed to idle again. The longer it's run, the worse it gets.
I haven't done anything else to it yet. I'm thinking it's either getting too much air (vacuum leak) or not enough gas (dirty carbs). If it's lack of fuel it has to be inside the outboard itself as there is a clear fuel filter right before the fuel goes into the engine and when it's having this problem there is still fuel in the filter. Suggestions?
Thanks!

kingsbiship
09-15-2007, 07:14 PM
When this problem occurs, squeeze the primer ball and see if it gets better.
This sounds fuel related to me.

hotrod56cars
09-16-2007, 09:29 AM
When this problem occurs, squeeze the primer ball and see if it gets better.
This sounds fuel related to me.
OK, I'll try that. Thanks for the reply.

Forkin' Crazy
09-16-2007, 10:57 AM
Sounds like the idle circuit is too lean. Try cleaning the carbs. Does it sneeze?

Towndrunk
09-16-2007, 04:55 PM
I think the lower unit is plugged up.:idea::D