PDA

View Full Version : Skater photo stoot gone wrong!!!

jojoshow
09-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I was watching the news this morning, and in Sarasota Fl a chopper crashed filming a Skater. Three people rescued. Unknow on pilot and passenger status.Any details? Anyone know what happened.

Boatmaster
09-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Early reports I have heard are very grim. Not sure on my facts so I will keep them to myself at this time. Thoughts and prays to all involved.

River Runin
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
posted a link in Smokin Cig thread!

Jbb
09-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Gatorones new Skater, Teague was driving for Powerboat review. Chopper crashed in front of, and was run over by the boat...supposedly no injuries on the boat .....sad...:(
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31103&stc=1&d=1179412851

whiteworks
09-11-2007, 09:03 AM
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/

RiverDave
09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Gatorones new Skater, Teague was driving for Powerboat review. Chopper crashed in front of, and was run over by the boat...supposedly no injuries on the boat .....sad...:(
https://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31103&stc=1&d=1179412851
Very sad.. :( :(
RD

Nord
09-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Teague was driving!!:jawdrop:

burtandnancy2
09-11-2007, 09:26 AM
This is horrible news, anytime deaths are involved. I hope its not one of the best photographers who ever shot from a chopper, we all know who he may be. I won't say his name until its officially confirmed. Glad the rest of the team is OK.
Probably going to upset our plans for Powerboat next week at Blue Water...

TOBTEK
09-11-2007, 09:29 AM
wow...not good! boats and choppers can be replaced, those two lives can not....very sad!

Magic34
09-11-2007, 09:32 AM
The boat is OK. The helicopter crashed.

LuckyStrike
09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
I e-mailed a Boating Buddy that Lives there. This was her reply 12:54 pm EST
A.J.
"Helicopter went down in front of Skater Bob Teague was driving,then he tried to avoid but stillclipped it."
"Was south of us and cars on road going to Venice Hosp 10 min ago. Understanding Mark Waters was pilot, one of John Potts from American powerboat TV Video cameraman on board also named Mark and Tom Newbie,Photographer for Powerbat and also boyfreind of Vici with Powerboat."
"Reported 2 are dead and 3rd in Critical Cond. Trials are Obviously called off. Have not had time but understand updates are on offshoreonly."
"awefull here."
Susan

Nord
09-11-2007, 09:38 AM
The boat is OK. The helicopter crashed.
How the heck did that answer my question??:confused:
Teague was driving??

Nord
09-11-2007, 09:39 AM
I e-mailed a Boating Buddy that Lives there. This was her reply 12:54 pm EST
A.J.
"Helicopter went down in front of Skater Bob Teague was driving,then he tried to avoid but stillclipped it."
"Was south of us and cars on road going to Venice Hosp 10 min ago. Understanding Mark Waters was pilot, one of John Potts from American powerboat TV Video cameraman on board also named Mark and Tom Newbie,Photographer for Powerbat and also boyfreind of Vici with Powerboat."
"Reported 2 are dead and 3rd in Critical Cond. Trials are Obviously called off. Have not had time but understand updates are on offshoreonly."
"awefull here."
Susan
Wow........very sad.

ChumpChange
09-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Teague was driving??
Usually questions have a ????? at the end.
Very sad indeed what happened.

mbrown2
09-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow...just an awful tradegy....thoughts and prayers go those involved

Magic34
09-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Teague was driving??
It's a forum board and people might read what you wrote, heard 1 dead, and made a different assumption.

duffster
09-11-2007, 09:58 AM
2-dead in helicopter crash off Sarasota
54 minutes ago
SARASOTA, Fla. - A helicopter carrying three people shooting video for a boating magazine crashed in the Gulf of Mexico near Sarasota on Tuesday, killing two of the people aboard.
ADVERTISEMENT
The helicopter went down in about 20 feet of water around 10 a.m., said Sarasota County Fire Department Assistant Chief Paul Dezzi.
He said preliminary accounts indicated the helicopter hit a boat that it was filming for Powerboat magazine. Two people were on the boat and escaped without injuries, he said.
Several boats that rushed to the crash site were able to pull helicopter's occupants from the water. One was pronounced dead on shore, Dezzi said. Two others were taken to hospitals, where one later died, the sheriff's office reported. The condition of the third was not immediately released.
The cause of the crash was under investigation.
Dick Hendricks, executive vice president of Powerboat magazine's parent firm, Maple Grove, Minn.-based Ehlert Publishing Group, said the company was still trying to find out who was involved in the crash. He said the magazine had several employees and freelance contractors in southwest Florida working on a weeklong series of boat tests.

duffster
09-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Helicopter crashes in water off Venice
Last Edited: Tuesday, 11 Sep 2007, 1:10 PM EDT
Created: Tuesday, 11 Sep 2007, 10:08 AM EDT
The view from SkyFox shows wreckage from the crash floating in the waters.
We've got you covered
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/photo_servlet?contentId=4323420&version=1&locale=EN-US&subtype=MIMG&siteId=1018&isP16=true
SARASOTA – A photo shoot turned deadly in the waters near Sarasota on Tuesday morning when a helicopter crashed, killing two people and injuring another.
Authorities say the copter went down in about 20 feet of water off S. Casey Key Road. That's about six miles northeast of Venice in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Sarasota County Sheriff's Department says the copter went down when it was involved in a collision with a boat in the waters below. They say the two were doing a photo shoot for Powerboat Magazine when the accident happened.
Deputies say three people were pulled from the water in the area, and taken to the shore in Venice. One was pronounced dead there, and the other two were flown to area hospitals for treatment.
Authorities say a second victim later died, but there's no word on the condition of the third person who was hurt.
Two other people who were aboard the boat that was involved in the accident were not injured.
Crews from the both the Sarasota and Nokomis Fire Departments responded to the scene of the accident. The Coast Guard is also on scene trying to recover the damaged helicopter from the water.
SkyFox pilot/reporter Randy Powers says he believes the helicopter that crashed is a Bell JetRanger model, and that it may have collided with a cigarette boat.
Powers says the boat and the chopper may have gotten so close that they collided, or the chopper may have hit the water and then been hit by the boat. Damage was visible on the left front corner of the red cigarette boat that was involved in the crash.
Neither scenario has been confirmed by authorities.
Powers says cigarette-type boats are frequently used in photo shoots along the water, and helicopters often fly very low and close to the boats to get the shots they're looking for.

RitcheyRch
09-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Very sad

Liquid Courage
09-11-2007, 10:06 AM
The 1st news clip posted above is close to being correct. Except that reports are that the helicoptor lost power and went down (not collided with the skater) in front of the Plantnum boat they were shooting/filming. Bob Teague is lead test driver (with Johnny Tomlinson). Bob was driving the boat for the trials while it was being filmed. Bob did an excellent job avoiding a collision with the helicoptor as it went into the water, however he struck some debris.
I spoke with friends at PBM this morning. It is a very sad day for PBM, they have lost a huge part of their family. Please be respectful and keep them in your thoughts and prayers while they try to cope with this tragedy. It is a horrible day.

duffster
09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
FOX Tampa Bay - Video
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4322826&version=16&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

C-2
09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Very sad, godspeed to those lost.
Tank, please give my sincerest condolences to Vicki and Jeff J if you speak with either.
Sad day. :(

Unitek
09-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Sorry to here about this.. I just seen Gators Skater at Cumberland a few days ago :(

MissB
09-11-2007, 10:22 AM
tragic, my thoughts are with those lost. :(

Nord
09-11-2007, 10:30 AM
It's a forum board and people might read what you wrote, heard 1 dead, and made a different assumption.
Its cool.

HocusPocus
09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
FOX 13 reporter Ray Collins says one of those onboard the boat was a model, and she may have actually saved the life of the pilot. He says the model also happens to be an emergency room nurse, and she jumped into the water following the crash. She reportedly pulled the pilot to shore, and also recovered the body of one of the other victims.
Collins says when the woman got to shore, she was completely covered in diesel fuel and had to be rinsed off.
a good day turned bad in the blink of an eye.. sorry to hear it.
the model sounds like she jumped right into action!!

Jbb
09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38952&stc=1&d=1189551232
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38953&stc=1&d=1189551524

MudPumper
09-11-2007, 04:19 PM
:idea: