PDA

View Full Version : CALLING ALL YOU WANNA-BE RACERS

Spirit of Discovery
08-12-2002, 08:13 AM
OK, boys!! All you people who run around in your boats with numbers on the sides. Don't just try to impress people by making them THINK you're a racer! Have some "cahones" and come out this weekend in Huntington Beach and show the world that you really are a racer! Race registration is Saturday at 10AM. If you don't have the guts to come out and race, then take the numbers off your boat. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! By the way, this IS a challenge!! Go to the Pacific Offshore website www.pacificoffshore.com (http://www.pacificoffshore.com) for more information. Just don't forget to go get a DMV or FAA physical before showing up or I won't let you race. (and that is no excuse for not racing)
[ August 13, 2002, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Spirit of Discovery ]

Spirit of Discovery
08-13-2002, 08:24 AM
Even if you don't have a number on your boat, we'll help you put one on. Come out and race anyhow!! eek!

Skaterfast
08-13-2002, 10:23 PM
What would we need in the way of safety gear.Helmets,life jackets what kind.Can I race with a Life Line poker run jacket?

Spirit of Discovery
08-14-2002, 07:21 AM
Great, Skaterfast!! Glad you're thinking about it!! You need a racing jacket and helmet. I'm not sure if the jacket you're referring to is acceptable. the best person to answer your question is Paul Abreau. His number is on the Pacific Offshore website (I think on the Huntington Beach page) www.pacificoffshore.com (http://www.pacificoffshore.com) All boats must have the required Coast Guard safety equipment. You can download the full rule book from the APBA Offshore site. I may not have all the answers, but I can sure get you to the one who does!! Hope you decide to give it a try!! See you in Huntington! By the way, just got an e-mail with some parties and gatherings for Friday night. 6 - 8 PM Race Team, VIP and Press Reception at the Huntington Beach Yache club (Huntington Harbor?) at PCH and Warner and a singing party at Martini Blues from 8pm to closing. Martini Blues is on the corner of Springdale and Edinger. Please plan to come to these events to show your support for Pacific Offshore. Also, at the Harbor Grill, $1 from every drink goes to support Pacific Offshore, so if you intend to get sloshed, do so at the Harbor Grill!! lol! No, please support the places that support Pacific Offshore!! Hope to see y'all there!! :D

Flashwave
08-14-2002, 09:07 AM
SKATERFAST..I have a spare XL Lifeline jacket and Xl Helmet. If they fit, they are yours to use for HB. They are APBA approved and ready to race. See me Saturday at the wet pits. FLASHWAVE F1-48.
Jim

Charley
08-18-2002, 09:50 PM
I had a great time at the Races today in HB!.... I have been thinking all day long about how I could get involved! I printed the rules up and have been studying classes but I have a few more questions... whos Brain to pick?

Spirit of Discovery
08-19-2002, 08:54 AM
Charley, feel free to start with me. If I don't know the answer, I can surely get you to who does. Glad you had a great time. Hope to hear from you soon.
Scott

nextasex
08-19-2002, 11:29 PM
hey scott or jim, what is the latest news on the lavey, is american racing still sponsor? who's runnin that boat? how did it do this past weekend? also, what's the smallest boat class to race in?
thanks for the info guys,
frank

Flashwave
08-20-2002, 05:37 AM
NEXTASEX
The Lavey is not sponsored by American Racing. American Racing took their sponsorship to the Super Cat Light Eliminator owned by Brian Schinile. The Lavey appears to be sponsored by LaveyCraft. The side of the boat says Laveycraft Factory Racing and I didn't see any other sponsors on the boat.
The Lavey boat did OK this weekend. They had a good start, but offshore racing is a race of attrition. You have to stay together and finish to win. It's easier said than done. The suprise this weekend was the Volvo Penta boat.
As far as the smallest class I would assume you are interested in speed. This would be the P5 class,below 70 mph.
Jim

nextasex
08-20-2002, 09:24 AM
Hey Jim, thanks for the info, can you explain more on the below,,
""They had a good start, but offshore racing is a race of attrition. You have to stay together and finish to win""
and what is the size limit in this P5 class?
frank

Flashwave
08-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Hi Frank,
Ok here we go.
A good start: Get out in front in clean water and stay there to the first turn. This can give you an advantage for the entire race as the boats are so evenly matched. Water that is not aerated from someone elses prop gives your prop more bite thus more speed.
Attrition: We put a lot of strain on parts. Frequently drives give out. Bravo drives are built very strong, however, while turning, we put side loadings on the cases most boaters would not. We also spin them up coming out of the water and don't lift going back in. This puts extreme forces on the gears and clutch. Probably the reason Mercury will not warranty products that are raced. The pounding the boats take can make trim pumps break, seats come loose, engine mounts break and the list goes on.
Production class: Speed is the determining factor for "P" class. Boat length is not defined in the rules. From the rule book, "performance class is a place to race almost any boat, test your skill, start your racing career and test your products and equipment"
Please keep the questions coming.
Jim

nextasex
08-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Jim, ok, what size and make boats and what power are normally in the P class. How many P classes are there and what are their restrictions and requirements? Did Lavey take second and if they did, how much did they lose to you by? hey, thanks for the info!
frank

Flashwave
08-20-2002, 07:31 PM
Hi Frank,
PERFORMANCE CLASSES........SPEED.........NUMBER DESIGINATION
Performance Extreme-Cat*.......110+ MPH......PX-#
Performance Extreme-Vee*......110+ MPH......PV-#
Performance Class 1..................100-109 MPH **...P1-#
Performance Class 2...................90-99 MPH...P2-#
Performance Class 3...................80-89 MPH...P3-#
Performance Class 4...................70-79 MPH...P4-#
Performance Class 5...................Below 70 MPH....P5-#
Most of the time in P5 I see 24 to 29 ft boats with 502's and HP 500's. It really does not matter what the power is as long as it's top speed is not over 70. I have seen a Magnum, Sunsation, Cigarette, Baja, Pantera, Donzi, Seahawk and others run in P5.
Yes the Lavey took second. I'm still waiting to see the official time to know exactly how much we beat the Lavey by. I would estimate 2 to 3 minutes. We'll see when its posted.
Jim

nextasex
08-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Jim, thanks for taking the time, i still have more questions though :)
are these all the classes? where do the f1 and f2 fall in? how intense is the P5 class and how much $$$ wise to get into a race. are the sponsors big in the P5 class? in other words, is it bigtime? or is it like "run what you brung" type deal?
thanks
frank

Skaterfast
08-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Where would my 24' Skater with stock 225 Promaxs fit in and what would I be running against.By the way thanks guys for the encouragement on trying to go racing.If my wife even knew I was talking about racing the family cruiser she would flip.

Flashwave
08-21-2002, 04:53 AM
The other classes are:
Super V
Super Cat
Super V Light Twin
Super V Light Single
Super Cat Light Inboard
Super Cat Light Outboard Triple
Super Cat Light Outboard Twin
Factory 2
Factory 1
You can look at the specifications for each of these classes at:
http://www.pacificoffshore.com/racerules.html
To start racing you would need the following:
Join APBA: $260.00
Join POPRA: $175.00
Register Boat w/ APBA: P-Class: $400
Life Jacket : +-$400.00
Helmet: +-$300.00
The P Classes do not have that many boats locally or on the Pro series. Most are self sponsored or sponsored through companies they own. Occasionally you'll find a sponsor who most likely is someone you already know.
Jim

Flashwave
08-21-2002, 04:56 AM
Skaterfast,
Pick your top speed and you would fit in the Performance class for that speed.
Jim

nextasex
08-21-2002, 03:51 PM
Hey Jim, thanks for all the info. i will check out the link you provided. competition is always fun!
thanks again,
frank :)

Skaterfast
09-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Flashwave:
Skaterfast,
Pick your top speed and you would fit in the Performance class for that speed.
JimOK my top speed is 58mph.Ha Ha.

Flashwave
09-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Skaterfast,
In that case Paul Abreu may want to take a ride with you. I'm sure he can find another mile an hour or so. Wouldn't want any stone walling going on...now would we? Ha. Come on out. Let's see what that 58 mph boat will really do..
Jim