PDA

View Full Version : NJBA Throttle Stop ?

Squirtin Thunder
09-12-2007, 05:51 PM
Can any of you NJBA Drag Boat guys post some pics of your throttle stop for us new guys ?

77charger
09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
dont have anypics of mine i had but basically you can take a bolt and welt it to the throtle bracketso that at full throttle it touches the foot pedal so it wont go any further

BUSBY
09-12-2007, 08:57 PM
come on Jim ... you can make a throttle stop ...
a piece of angle aluminum and a bolt with some jam nuts to stop the pedal from going too far??? I think you should have the skills to make that happen ...
BB

Squirtin Thunder
09-12-2007, 10:40 PM
a piece of angle aluminum and a bolt with some jam nuts to stop the pedal from going too far??? I think you should have the skills to make that happen ...
BB
I just wasn't sure what you folks were looking for. All square now, Thanks Chris (CS19).

Goad
09-12-2007, 11:14 PM
BB
Actually, from an outsiders point of view, it had us guys from the SCSC/APBA scratching our heads.
I spoke to Rolf today to get things squared away for Sunday's exhibition circle race so that we have all of our ducks in a row on the short notice. One of the things that was mentioned was a throttle stop. It had myself, Ralph Brunt, Terry Valore, and Jim Rich all scratching our heads since this isnt a requirement with the SCSC/APBA. Initial thought was he was referring to a retention spring, but after reading the note on the NJBA front page, it explains it a little, but still vague on how it should be set up. Looks like Jim got the answers he needed and will be sharing with others so we can move forward on other things to make sure this weekend happens smoothly ;)
Looking forward to this weekend. It should be a fun one... See you guys there!

BUSBY
09-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Basically, a throttle stop is a mechanical or physical stop that prevents the throttle from going too far and possibly binding the cable up at full throttle.
Last year we had a racer's throttle go beyond it's limits and stick wide open ... this resulted in his death.
NJBA now mandates a physical stop to prevent your pedal to allow this now.
There are a million different ways to design this, so we have left it up to the boat owners with one stipulation ... that it works and will not fail.
The more basic the better IMO ...
a secondary question has come up ... medi-tags ... this is a medical information card that racers must wear around their neck in case of an accident and them being unconcious (sp?) when transported to the hospital. The NJBA tower has them available to fill out, but you will need to provide a lanyard to wear around your neck and a waterproof holder for it that attaches to it (the size of a drivers license ... fishing license holders work great) ... or you can have it laminated at kinko's ...
hope this helps.
Brian

Goad
09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the info Brian.