PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Discussion Over At S&F.....

HavasuDreamin'
02-03-2003, 07:48 AM
It looks as though the owner of Mirage Boats is a Jacka** who doesn't stand behind his product. :( Those boats were pretty damn awesome when built by Brad Collins! It is a shame he doesn't build them any more.
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27654
[ February 03, 2003, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

Skaterfast
02-03-2003, 08:02 AM
The lynk does't take you there.

HavasuDreamin'
02-03-2003, 08:30 AM
Skaterfast:
The lynk does't take you there. DOH!!! devil It does now! smile_sp

Back To Havasu
02-03-2003, 10:30 AM
What year was Brad Collins' last year building the Mirage hull. In other words, if someone is looking for that hull, how old a hull do you look for to make sure Brad Collins built it? :cool:

HavasuDreamin'
02-03-2003, 10:36 AM
Back To Havasu:
What year was Brad Collins' last year building the Mirage hull. In other words, if someone is looking for that hull, how old a hull do you look for to make sure Brad Collins built it? :cool: I thought it was '94, but somewhere in there I thought I read '96? :confused: So, I am not sure. Anyone else know what was the last year Brad made Mirage Boats?

mbrown2
02-03-2003, 11:01 AM
I thought it was 96/97. Also, that is sad what is happening to those hulls/molds. I almost bought one from Brad back in 92 after seeing it wax everything in HB tests and seeing the price...never did get one; hope to one day (a collins built version). Hopefully, when this idiot gets tired of building of a sub-par boat, maybe someone with a love for the Mirages and quick outboards will get those molds and start making some trick rigs....Their are several folks on the West Coast that do top notch rigging and layup...it would be great if one of these new boat builders out here could get those molds, and truly start making a great Mirage again....Maybe Froggy can get them, and offer an Outboard tunnel with his new boat co.; can't wait to see the rigging on his boats. :p

HavasuDreamin'
02-03-2003, 12:17 PM
mbrown2:
Maybe Froggy can get them, and offer an Outboard tunnel with his new boat co.; can't wait to see the rigging on his boats. :p I would seriously consider buying a Trident Mirage if Froggy got ahold of the molds. :cool: :D
[ February 03, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

mbrown2
02-03-2003, 01:11 PM
HavasuDreamin':
mbrown2:
Maybe Froggy can get them, and offer an Outboard tunnel with his new boat co.; can't wait to see the rigging on his boats. :p I would seriously consider buying a Trident Mirage if Froggy got ahold of the molds. :cool: :D As would I...just for that smooth quiet day on the lake or river, when you just need to let it out...A Mirage Jaguar with a 280SS has always been a boat I wanted...

Back To Havasu
02-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Add me to your list of prospective buyers Froggy. :D :D

Froggystyle
02-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the good words guys, and without sounding like a total cretin... what does a Mirage look like? I have seen several different tunnel hull boats with the moniker "Mirage" on them.
From what it sounds like, there is a market for a properly and professionally rigged version of this hull.
Do you outboard guys like graphics? wink

STV_Keith
02-03-2003, 06:14 PM
Here's a few Froggy:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/mirage2.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/mirage1.JPG
[ February 03, 2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: STV_Keith ]

Jordy
02-03-2003, 07:30 PM
How different is that from your boat Keith? (color me outboard impaired). :D

randy77zt
02-03-2003, 09:53 PM
i have a 96 mirage 4 seater -the coast guard plate says made in texas.while i dont talk bad about people i havent met in person i called mr mullins on the phone about a replacement wind screen and found him not very help full on the phone.i used my boat to pick on off shore racer boats in the delta last summer and had no problems with poor construction.they usually crack at the fuel filler hole and the steering cable hole.my boat is in the glass shop and those parts have been molded off and filled for strength.with the sea star steering and the fuel filler moved under the cowling the holes arent needed.main problem is tying up to docks-they slide under them.also having dock rash fixed and new carpet installed .got 102 mph with 3/4 tank running a stock 260/cle lower unit.it has no problem running 95 mph cruise with a 30 cleaver.it will be for sale after this spring.i am starting a business and need to lay off the toys for a while.maybe some better clones will show up in california?some body that has an engineering background should buy that aeromarine software package and build a new boat in the 18' tunnel/1 big motor class.

STV_Keith
02-03-2003, 10:26 PM
Jordy, they look similar to the STV's like mine (Pro Comp Ski). A mod-VP design used quite a bit for O/B drag racing lately. Not as stable as the STV's up top, and from what I've seen, not as good of quality, but still a nice boat. They are known to be a little "flighty".

HavasuDreamin'
02-04-2003, 06:50 AM
STV_Keith:
Jordy, they look similar to the STV's like mine (Pro Comp Ski). A mod-VP design used quite a bit for O/B drag racing lately. Not as stable as the STV's up top, and from what I've seen, not as good of quality, but still a nice boat. They are known to be a little "flighty". Right now, STV builds a superior boat to Mirage as can be read in the S&F discussion. The STV continues to be a quality boat. However, until (apparently) 1996 or so, Mirage Boats were built by Brad Collins out of Texas. He was the founder of the company and built the boats very well (high quality and attention to detail).
Originally, if I am not mistaken, the boats came out in the mid 80's in the Mod-VP category and along with the STV's, started cleaning up. Unfortunately, the boats were quite a bit lighter and smaller than the typical Mod-vp style boats of the day (Sleekcraft, Stoker, Eliminator, Etc.) and several drivers were killed stuffing their boats. Soon after, capsules were required in Mod-Vp and you couldn't hardly tell the boats apart from the champ boats (at a distance). The capsules took away from the "ski boat" look and effectively killed the sport. Brad Collins sold the molds and got out of the business in the mid 90's (not sure exactly when). If you read the S&F thread, it is apparent that the new owner does not laminate the boats very well and quality (structural) issues are quite a concern. Suffice to say, his reputation is not good.
Being a diehard small O/B tunnel fanatic, I know through reading there is demand for the Mirage tunnel. The core enthusiasts will have nothing but a STV or Mirage. Personally, I like the looks of the Mirage better and don't think I am alone there (not that the STV isn't good looking).
Contrary to Keiths impression, I have found the Mirage Jaguar to be very stable and extremely quick (I have driven a Collins built Mirage). The boat handled flawlessly and to me seems like an Indy car on water. Everything happens right NOW!
I posted the message over at the sandbar because I would love to see the molds get into the hands of someone who #1 has the knowledge, #2 pays attention to detail, #3 has pride in workmanship, #4 loves the sport #5 is a good guy and businessman.
Make no mistake about it, the Mirage is not going to command the $$$/profit that a 28' deckboat would bring, but, a quality mfg. would most likely be able to sell at least 2 per month without even having to market the boat. It might be worth some investigating.
On a side note, I am attending the intial meeting of a new Indiana Hot Boat Club this saturday. The founder of the club...........you guessed it, Brad Collins. He now resides near Southbend, IN. Froggy, if you have any interest in this hull, you would be able to get ahold of Brad over at S&F (or I can get you some contact info.).
:cool:
[ February 04, 2003, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

HavasuDreamin'
02-04-2003, 07:30 AM
http://www.scaryfast.com/scaryfast/pix/usedboats/mirage-keele.jpg
http://forums.screamandfly.com/pp311/data/500/39mirage1-med.jpg
[ February 04, 2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

HavasuDreamin'
02-04-2003, 07:36 AM
http://forums.screamandfly.com/pp311/data/500/1286fastermirage-med.jpg

nhbuoy
02-04-2003, 07:38 AM
FYI...If you guys are looking for molds of these types of boats, there are a couple of well-maintained ones for sale over at S&F...Look for ACTION 17 or a guy named RAY...The molds are VERY good quality & I'm pretty sure they have a couple of different top decks too...I have PERSONALLY seen the finished product(s) RACE(drags) & up-close, & they were well made and hauled ass w/a 2.5!!!IF you are SERIOUS, I have the phone numbers for a couple of different rocket-ship molds (tunnel & V-bottoms)...PM or EM me if you are interested...These are located on the east coast mind you...These are NOT "girly" boats...You have to know what you're doing to drive one...STV KEITH knows what I'm talking about!!!I can ALSO put you in touch with a couple companies that will build the boat to your "specs" & colors to be sold under a "name" of your choice...If interested, let me know...

Froggystyle
02-04-2003, 09:19 AM
nhbuoy:
FYI...If you guys are looking for molds of these types of boats, there are a couple of well-maintained ones for sale over at S&F...Look for ACTION 17 or a guy named RAY...The molds are VERY good quality & I'm pretty sure they have a couple of different top decks too...I have PERSONALLY seen the finished product(s) RACE(drags) & up-close, & they were well made and hauled ass w/a 2.5!!!IF you are SERIOUS, I have the phone numbers for a couple of different rocket-ship molds (tunnel & V-bottoms)...PM or EM me if you are interested...These are located on the east coast mind you...These are NOT "girly" boats...You have to know what you're doing to drive one...STV KEITH knows what I'm talking about!!!I can ALSO put you in touch with a couple companies that will build the boat to your "specs" & colors to be sold under a "name" of your choice...If interested, let me know... If you can, please e-mail me some information at wes@tridentboats.com
Thanks for the hookup...

HavasuDreamin'
02-04-2003, 09:33 AM
http://www.screamandfly.com/images/jsmith.jpg

nhbuoy
02-04-2003, 10:00 AM
HEY WES(FROGGYSTYLE?)...I'm at work right now, but when I get home I will dig out the info & EM it to you...HEY HAVDREAM...I get the point!!!..LOL>> I didn't leave your name out on purpose...I wasn't implying anything...BTW...MOST of those guys at S&F know their shite on setting up an outboard...BTW2...HAVDREAM...Do you by any chance visit over there under a diff screen name???...I've seen that JAY SMITH logo over there too???....

HavasuDreamin'
02-04-2003, 10:09 AM
nhbuoy:
HEY HAVDREAM...I get the point!!!..LOL; I didn't leave your name out on purpose...I wasn't implying anything...BTW...MOST of those guys at S&F know their shite on setting up an outboard...BTW2...HAVDREAM...Do you by any chance visit over there under a diff screen name???...I've seen that JAY SMITH logo over there too???.... No, I go under HavasuDreamin' over there as well. I just started posting over there in the last 2 weeks. That JSRE logo is just another picture of a Mirage. I am not affiliated with them in any way, shape, or form (unfortunately). :( Yes, it definately seems as though the people over there know their SH**.
I am glad you are (will be) able to hook froggy up. Hopefully, he can get a quick little tunnel mold to add to his line of boats. I was hoping he might be able to pry the molds away from Mike Mullins, however it appears as though Mullins likes having his name attached to the Mirage Boats. :( devil
[ February 04, 2003, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

sorry dog
02-06-2003, 02:27 PM
If you wanted molds you could always go pop Barney's boat... Oops Did I say that??
Ah Nevermind.

HavasuBarney
02-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Can we say that word SPLASH here? eek!
Wes, if your really interested in the Mirage Saga, I have some first hand experience with them.
There are a few sets of molds floating about, some good, some not so good. There's lots of chopper gun Action in FL.
S&F and girly-man boats, now there's a winning combo!
I do have to admit, those Screamin Fly's do know shit, just not boats!
[ February 06, 2003, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: HavasuBarney ]

Boat Racer
04-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Here's a 93 Texas Mirage, new hull in 2000... I've owned it since 94, and one June day in 2000, OH SH**!!!!! I was lucky, I only went 50-60' away from it...
I've hit the water harder tubing, but it's a flip of a coin when you buy one..... I still agree, the one's made by Brad, seem to be a better built hull... Mine was seven when the pad let go, not 1 or 2 yrs. old!!!!
http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1872915.jpg
[ April 05, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Boat Racer ]

Tom Brown
04-06-2003, 12:23 PM
There is a relationship between Mirage boats and the power centers over at Scream & Fly. I would suggest that discussions over there about Mirage are almost certainly biased.
Meow,
Tom
[ April 06, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]

Tom Brown
04-06-2003, 01:52 PM
That link doesn't seem to work anymore. I think the thread is gone. They do like to keep their database lean. :D :D :D
[ April 06, 2003, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Tom Brown ]