PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your "must sees" for New York

bunny 166
09-13-2007, 01:47 PM
:D Going in October for 5 days...Besides Ground Zero and Central Park, Statue of Liberty, what are your favorites? It will be my first time there, and my daughter is coming along....There is so much to see, I know!! We already have tix for a Broadway show Friday night...:) Thanks all!

Wet Dream
09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Coyote Ugly off of Broadway by a block or 2, great place for adults, they might allow kids up to a certain time. Times Square is a great place now. Its very touristy, almost Vegas like, minus the gambling. Brooklyn Diner, great place to eat, can say you've been there. Tavern on the Green maybe?
For the real feel of New York, you can hit up Queens, Harlem, or the Bronx. The meat packing district is always good for a freak show. ;)

That Guy
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
You and me strolling arm in arm in Central Park....oops :D :) :D
NYC is great....we have offices there so if you are short of recommendations then let me know and I will reach out to them for some local suggestions...say hi to D....:)

fat rat
09-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Empire State Building is a must do.........great views.:idea:

shaffewm
09-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Go to Katz in deli in Brooklyn and get a pastrami sandwich...best I've ever tasted. Also go up to top of the Rockefeller building instead of the empire state...you can take pics of the empire state building and central park from there:D

out of bounds
09-13-2007, 02:36 PM
We just got back a week ago we had a blast we spent 10 and 2 of them where in the city. the other was in cooperstown my 12 played in a tournament back there ,and was way cool.
2 things I can tell you not to do
Dont rent a car and try and drive around on fri @ 3. it f*&%ing sucked 2.5hrs to go less then 5 miles (oh the worng way)
Dont try and find a gas stastion the city there isn't any (part of the 2.5 trip the wrong way.)
carnagee deli is a must
helmrt cam for cab ride life time of fun
BBQ resturant any of them they where the bomb

AZJD
09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
As much of a downer as it may be, ground zero. Leave a few thoughts and prayers....

BigBlockBaja
09-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Empire State Building is a must do.........great views.:idea:
I agree. Do they still have that virtual roller coaster ride through New York there? Its the kind where ya get into a set of seats and they move around as you watch a huge video surrounding you.

Jbb
09-13-2007, 02:40 PM
1....JBB's birthplace,and the sites of his 1st, 2nd, and 5th arrest!:D

charitycase
09-13-2007, 02:48 PM
I was gonna say you & Darrin should go to Scores but I see the little one is going.Sorry,no help here.Have fun tho.

YeLLowBoaT
09-13-2007, 03:02 PM
1....JBB's birthplace,and the sites of his 1st, 2nd, and 5th arrest!:D
ok so what were you arrested for?

Jbb
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
ok so what were you arrested for?
For being.....Prickly & Combative

Top Cat II
09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Go to Katz in deli in Brooklyn and get a pastrami sandwich...best I've ever tasted. D
WOW, I grew up in NY & NJ. Katz by far the BEST. Lower east side in Manhatten. Gota get a pastrami sandwich. Since 1888

Angry Inch
09-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Nice!!!! I'm going this Saturday. I was going to check out the Metropolitan Musem of Art, Ellis Island (they might be closing it soon), Ground Zero and a bunch of bars....
But really though...go to the met. :)

ElimJimsOtherHalf
09-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Add - all make great pics:
.....Brooklyn Bridge
.....Coney Island (subway goes there for a little trip outside Manhatten)
.....Wall Street
.....Grand Central Station
.....Central Park (including Carousel and Strawberry Fields, near where Lennon got killed)
.....FAO Schwartz life-size piano (great for kids)

AirtimeLavey
09-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Museum of Natural History, Central Park, Times Square (but be careful - lots of crime), ride the subway (again, be careful), Broadway, MOMA is cool (Museum of Modern Art), Rockefellar Center, Wallstreet, Trump Tower, etc. Lots to see. Bring lots of tip money because you'll be tipping everybody and their brother. Like someone said, don't rent a car out of Manhattan. Probably one of the most expensive places to rent a car in the world.
Upstate NY and Conn. is beautiful, if you want to get a little ways out of the city. Might be a little early for the leaves to be changing color, but it's spectacular when they do.
It's a fun place (to visit). Have a great trip! :D :D

HemiDude
09-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Stay at the New York Hilton if you can...you are right in the middle of everything (I go about 6-10 times a year on business). I might even be able to get you a decent rate- pm me if you are interested...:D

thatguy
09-13-2007, 05:49 PM
NIAGRA FALLS!!! Not in NYC, but a MUST SEE.
And everything else listed.
Tommy

ravencrew
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I agree. Do they still have that virtual roller coaster ride through New York there? Its the kind where ya get into a set of seats and they move around as you watch a huge video surrounding you.
I believe they call that ride a TAXI!! I had a boss tell the cabbie that there was an extra $20.00 tip if they could get to wherever they were headed. Scared the crap out of them!!! The Taxi MADE IT!!! He said "That was the best damn $20 he ever spent in New York. You can also goto the rockafella center and say HI to all on National Television, Say Hi to Al Rocker:idea:

That Guy
09-13-2007, 06:19 PM
NIAGRA FALLS!!! Not in NYC, but a MUST SEE.
And everything else listed.
Tommy
Hey, don't be trying to out "that guy" me with my girl......:D :D

Tom Brown
09-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Tell me your "must sees" for New York
People urinating in public.

Jbb
09-13-2007, 06:45 PM
People urinating in public.
....and on the Subway......Good Times!!!

Riverless
09-13-2007, 07:09 PM
:D Going in October for 5 days...Besides Ground Zero and Central Park, Statue of Liberty, what are your favorites? It will be my first time there, and my daughter is coming along....There is so much to see, I know!! We already have tix for a Broadway show Friday night...:) Thanks all!
Bunny,
From one woman to another, you can't go to New York and not shop. The original Macy's is a must, and Saks 5th Avenue. I just read that Saks has opened up a massive shoe department, gotta check it out next time I am back there. :) You can also find really funky shops in the Village and believe it or not the Meatpacking district, check it out...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Packing_District
The Meat Packing District borders the Village.
Have fun!
P.S. Forgot to mention, Macy's has a HUGE petite department.

rrrr
09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Take the Grey Line open top double decker bus tour from Times Square. There are a couple of different routes. One goes south through Manhatten, stops at the Empire State Building, Chinatown/Little Italy, and Battery Park. Other routes are upper Manhatten and the Bronx. You can get off and sightsee then catch another tour bus at the stop and continue.
The Chinatown/Little Italy dividing line on Lower Canal street is full of knock-off stuff.......if you want a Vuitton bag or a Rolex (:D) it's the place to go.
http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/newyork.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=1368&sid=529
The line to go to the top of the Empire State building is always loooong. If the weather is nice when you're there, consider going at night. It's open until midnight, and the view at night is pretty cool.
If you want to catch a show, consider the off-Broadway productions, they are less expensive yet still very entertaining.
There's lots more to do!!! Have a great time.....:D :D

HemiDude
09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Discount ticket booth in Times Square...a good show is a must see....:D

Riverless
09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
:D We already have tix for a Broadway show Friday night...:)
If you want to catch a show, consider the off-Broadway productions, they are less expensive yet still very entertaining.
Discount ticket booth in Times Square...a good show is a must see....:D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rrrr
09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey, good job there, post patrol. Keep up the good work. :sleeping:

Riverless
09-13-2007, 07:46 PM
thanks! :D

HP350SC
09-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I've been here at Ferrari training since Sunday, heading home tomorrow.
Lombardi's Pizza on 32 spring St. in Manhattan is great,since 1905.
Coyote ugly bar good fun too!:D

hoolign
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Hope this helps! (http://gonyc.about.com/od/stripclubs/Strip_Clubs_in_New_York_City.htm)

River918
09-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Scores!!!!

Wavemaker
09-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi Bunny! My wife is going to NY for 10 days on Sept. 26th! Doing a Broadway show, Empire State building, Rockafeller Square and so on. Then a cruise ship to Boston, Bar Harbor, Marthas Vineyard, and Nova Scotia, then home.
So far everyone that prorvided just some must see sites are right-on. My sister-in law was there a year ago (in summer) and really enjoyed the shopping at all of the major name jewlery stores, big name designer clothes and accessory shops as Coach. Yes, she bought a large diamond ring at Tiffanies. It is expensive but, it was a great experience (Said she. My brother paid for the ring! They have been married 35 years).
A quick tip if you try riding the sub-way. Do not wear any jewlery items, hoop ear-rings, ipod, camera, etc., anything that may draw attention for theft. Hide these items or leave secure in your hotel's safe or hotel room safe. Have lots of fun in NY and safe travels. Let's hope your luggage is not lost going either direction. It happens frequently between L.A & N.Y. or on the way back. - Wavemaker

hoolign
09-14-2007, 06:14 PM
In the best interest of your New York trip
Now, your going to New York and going to be doing some sightseeing. New York has a great night life. Now .. in order to get the most out of your vacation. Your going to have to forget about posting on hot boat for the entire trip. The only way to avoid posting in here is to post nudes of yourself and get your self banned for 10 days. I'm looking out for your best interest here and want you two to have a great experience without the distraction of Hot boat.
Can we finally all agree on something around here? Can we help bunny have a great trip?? In the interest of One of HB's finest..lets help her out with some encouragement folks