PDA

View Full Version : Reno Air Races

spectratoad
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Well I know there are a few of you on here that attend them or follow the action and they are going on right now. Started yesterday. I love this time of year when they fly over the house and I can hear them race during the day. :D
So far it seems to have been a tough year. About an hour ago an aircraft went down during a race I think I heard. Lost one yesterday also. He was doing some T&T at the end of the day. The pilot yesterday didn't make it, not sure about the crash today. :( :(
They say it all part of the sport and that may be true but sad nonetheless. I pray for strength for their families.

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
What class was the airplane the crashed today running??
Unlimited, T6, Jet, Formula 1???

spectratoad
09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Yesterday
Pilot Dies in Crash at Reno Air Races
1 day ago
RENO, Nev. (AP) — A biplane stalled shortly after takeoff and crashed, killing the pilot during a practice run at the Reno National Championship Air Races.
The plane, a white RP-5 with red and blue trimming, appeared to have engine trouble shortly before it went down Tuesday evening at Stead Airport, said Mike Houghton, president and chief executive officer of the National Championship Air Races.
"It appeared there was smoke and fire. The engine stalled out," he said.
Houghton said the plane crashed 25 to 30 yards from a runway.
Qualifying heats for the air races were expected to begin as scheduled Wednesday.
Today
http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7072053

SMFRiverRat
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
I just heard that they have been canceled. Anybody hear anything?
Sounds like one of the jet class AC.
http://www.kcra.com/news/14110291/detail.html

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2007, 04:31 PM
L39 is a jet...
2 fatals in the same weekend... that's tragic, no matter the sport...

skyskier
09-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I've been wanting to ask about you avatar.............a p-38? Is Lefty Gardner still flying one at Reno?

AirtimeLavey
09-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Sad to hear about these incidents. Always wanted to go to those races. Guess I'll have to wait another year. I am going to see the Red Bull races in S.D. w/e after next. Looking forward to that. Those guys are insane.

Sleek-Jet
09-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I've been wanting to ask about you avatar.............a p-38? Is Lefty Gardner still flying one at Reno?
Yes...
I don't think so... the airplane was involved in an off airport landing a few years ago, I don't think they've got it put back together again...

blueman
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow what a drag..... I was there yesterday...a pitts bi-plane nosed over while taxiing back from a race, minor damage and no injury....every thing else was smooth a silk..the jets flew near the end of the day..there was an army green P-38 in the pits. God speed to the pilots involved in the past days crashes.

spectratoad
09-13-2007, 06:03 PM
I just heard that they have been canceled. Anybody hear anything?
Sounds like one of the jet class AC.
http://www.kcra.com/news/14110291/detail.html
I don't think they cancelled. I heard a formula race start around 3.

skyskier
09-14-2007, 06:00 AM
Whose the "baddset" P 51 running now. Last time I went was back in 82. Dago Red was the one. Is the Rare Bear still flying?

spectratoad
09-14-2007, 08:58 AM
They said in the news this morning that the jet pilot appears to have been caught in the wake of an aircraft in front of him during the race.
Not sure who is top dog out there now. There was an article a few weeks ago and I think it was Rare Bear that was near finished from a total rebuild. Not sure about standings though.
There should be some good speeds this weekend. The weather will only be in the upper 70's and light winds. Should be good.

spectratoad
09-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Well just heard on the radio that about an hour ago two formula racers collided and some debris also possibly hit some spectators. Races are temporarily off untill it all gets sorted.
They didn't give any reports on pilot status. :( :(
This makes four aircraft now. :(

SMFRiverRat
09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately, one killed. Any good news is that one landed safe. One or more pylon judges hit with debris. Races canceled for rest of day and possibly for the year.

spectratoad
09-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately, one killed. Any good news is that one landed safe. One or more pylon judges hit with debris. Races canceled for rest of day and possibly for the year.
Zackly........The second pilot is in the hospital I just heard. Pylon judges were not serious injuries.
Now the other stuff has already started. The residents in the area. What if one of them hits my childs bus? What if one crashes into my house? etc....
Now starts the move the air races parade. :mad:

Riomouse911
09-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Those races will get the heart racing faster than the planes fly!.. I remember my Dad's second wife's mom was on the airport commission many years back. I recall her saying the races weren't long at the present site due to sprawl, and that was back in the late 80's. They've lasted a lot longer than I thought they would there.. Now watch, after all the tragedies they'll end up out at Fallon NAS.