PDA

View Full Version : 460 Oil Capacity Question

socalmoney
09-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Changed the oil on my 460 today, motor is being prepared to be fired for the first time since 99. I poured in 5 quarts of oil and the dip stick is showing the oil level hi but when I try to prime the motor with an electric drill, I have no pressure. Sounds like the pick up is sucking air. Should I ignore the dipstick and pour some more in? I would think it would take more than 5 quarts. It has a stock pan on it. Any ideas would be great.
$

centerhill condor
09-15-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm sure you've considered if the drill is spinning the right way?
CC

Oldsquirt
09-15-2007, 03:08 PM
You need to spin the pump counter-clockwise.
Do not add any more oil.

socalmoney
09-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm sure you've considered if the drill is spinning the right way?
CC
I figured that out. I bought a new drill last week and the fwd rvs is opposite from my old black and decker. Doh.
Thanks.

centerhill condor
09-15-2007, 04:23 PM
well, you got a new drill and you didn't have to take the engine apart! congrats.
CC

socalmoney
09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
For my next question.
If you look at this photo of the intake manifold I put on, Wiend Stealth, there is a threaded hole for my water temp sender, a hold for the thermostat housing and then the one on the bottom right that is NOT THREADED. What am I supposed to do with that one?
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39255&stc=1&d=1189905565

Squirtcha?
09-15-2007, 05:32 PM
If your plumbing setup needs it (mine did) just drill through it and tap it to the proper size. It's only a very thin bit of metal to punch through with a drill bit. If you don't need it, just leave as is.
The tapped hole on the left is my water dump overboard. I used the hole (untapped) on the right for my Bassett T valve to the headers.

socalmoney
09-15-2007, 05:41 PM
the hole on the right is a through hole. I need to plug it so I guess I will have to make threads to do so.
Damn, I wanted to launch this thing tomorrow. I will have to find more manifold plugs also.

YeLLowBoaT
09-15-2007, 05:47 PM
If you have a bit of lead you could swage it into place. there is also a chance that a auto parts store might have a brass freeze plug that will fit that.

GAWnCA
09-15-2007, 05:55 PM
GO to one of the BIG BOX stores like Lowe's or Home Depot and get a pipe tap the size you need to tap the hole and pick up a plug while you are there in the plumbing section. You can have it done in a hour and ready to run tomorrow. You might stick your shop-vac hose in the thermostat hole while you tap so the cuttings don't get down into the motor.

IndianaTahiti
09-15-2007, 06:20 PM
go to napa and get a freeze plug,they have them.I did the same thing on my victor intake.If I remember correctly it ended up a metric size.

ol guy
09-15-2007, 08:00 PM
That fitting hole you are looking at is a factory deal for the heater bypass on a street application. It can be plugged without any cooling issues for the rest of the motor.I have ran the stealth manifold before and the perfomance is incredible. Off idle response is great and top end flow is off the hook. That manifold will pull to 6500 RPM and not ever and I mean EVER lay down. I would take that manifold over a single top tunnel ram today and twice on sunday!!! VERY VERY good choice on manifold selection. Just kind of curious as to what carb is going to feed the beast?

ol guy
09-15-2007, 08:19 PM
the whole you are trying to plug is the same size as the exhaust ports in the front and back of your'e heads. It is a bastard size and I have a few left in my garage. If you you cant get the problem solved PM me and we can hook-up, plug the whole and spend alittle time on the water, depending on where you are going. or PM me and I''ll give you the home #. I'm the guy with the 78 v-drive eliminator.Drop a dime I'm always willing to help a fellow boater. MARK

socalmoney
09-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Went to the big box stores, Lowe's and Home Depot and no luck on a tap. I am going to try tomorrow. Just need to put the same threads in it that are in the top of the manifold and use one of the 5/8 plugs. I will see if Napa has it or there is another tool place in Temecula. Just hope they are open on Sunday. Glad to hear I picked a good manifold. Many on the board boast about it.
Got all my fuel lines, water lines and induction together today. Got a lot done but that hole was not how I wanted to end my day.
Also noticed that my flex plate is making contact with my starter when I turn the motor over by hand. I removed the starter and all was OK. I should have bought a new one when I was at Rex Marine on Friday. I don't think the stator is disengaging all the way and it is hanging out just far enough to make contact with the flex plate.

Crossbow_CA
09-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Well I made a mistake and installed the hose fitting that comes with the manifold. Then I put a rubber cap over it and held it in place with a hose clamp.
Lets just say when the hose clamp doesn't hold a LOT of HOT water starts spraying on you. Let me know where you find and what size the pipe thread tap is cause I thought I was going to sink before I got to shore.

XJBones
09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Went to the big box stores, Lowe's and Home Depot and no luck on a tap. I am going to try tomorrow. Just need to put the same threads in it that are in the top of the manifold and use one of the 5/8 plugs. I will see if Napa has it or there is another tool place in Temecula. Just hope they are open on Sunday. Glad to hear I picked a good manifold. Many on the board boast about it.
Got all my fuel lines, water lines and induction together today. Got a lot done but that hole was not how I wanted to end my day.
Also noticed that my flex plate is making contact with my starter when I turn the motor over by hand. I removed the starter and all was OK. I should have bought a new one when I was at Rex Marine on Friday. I don't think the stator is disengaging all the way and it is hanging out just far enough to make contact with the flex plate.
I put a Stealth on my 460 last spring. Tap the hole with a 3/8 NPT tap (pipe thread) and install a screw in plug. Using the 3/8 NPT tap will match the plugs to the ones used to plug the other unused holes in the manifold. I got my tap at Lowes, but it wasn't with the other taps.
It's kind of tough to see in the pic, but installing a screw in plug makes for a clean install and it won't blow off like a rubber cap will.
http://images28.fotki.com/v999/photos/4/42106/4894386/DSCN3305-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/Bones/misc/rebuild/floor-and-stringers/dscn3305.html) http://images23.fotki.com/v869/photos/4/42106/4894386/DSCN2632-vi.jpg (http://public.fotki.com/Bones/misc/rebuild/floor-and-stringers/dscn2632.html)
Bones

Ken F
09-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Geez you guys make life complicated.
On your way to the lake, go to an autoparts store and buy a little tap-in plug for the holes. They look just like a freeze plug only smaller. put it in with weatherstrip adhesive and go enjoy your boat.
KenF

GAWnCA
09-16-2007, 09:03 AM
I think for safety sake and peace of mind, I'd go the extra mile and tap the hole and put a plug in it. Use some Teflon tape on the threads. Hot water off the top end of an engine pouring down your back is no fun.

soulboater#1
09-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Im still stuck on the 5 qts. My 460 needs 8 qts for pressure. Hope everthing works out for you.

socalmoney
09-16-2007, 08:20 PM
In case you didn't see this in the sandbar..... I almost shed a tear this morning.
Look what I woke up to this morning. What is wrong with people? No note, knock at the door, nothing. I heard a noise last night around 1am and didn't get up. I thought it was the cats playing with something in the house. I was out of it. Walked the block for a focked up silver vehicle since there are flakes of silver paint left behind, didn't see anything. I guess it will come out of my pocket. Wish I called Wozencraft back on my quote. Oh well. At least my hull is undamaged.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39273&stc=1&d=1189963846
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39274&stc=1&d=1189963879
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39275&stc=1&d=1189963916