PDA

View Full Version : New AZ DUI law

BoatPI
09-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Tough New
Arizona DUI Law Kicks In
Arizona - It’s going to be much tougher with DUI offenders in Arizona beginning Wednesday of this week. First-time violators will face mandatory ignition-interlock devices, higher fines and for a minimum of 45 days in jail for super extreme DUI convictions (those who have a blood-alcohol concentration registering as 0.20% or above, which is more than double the legal limit of 0.08%.)
The new law is one of the strictest in the U.S. and similar to another tough one in New Mexico. DUI attorneys are fully against the new measures, believing it is both unfair and will lead to increased court caseloads and hit first-time offenders very hard. With this new law, DUI first-time convicted offenders must pass a breath test before being able to use their vehicle. The Arizona Motor Vehicle Division expects about 17,000 first-time drunken drivers in the coming year. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration records show Arizona had the sixth-highest number of alcohol-related fatalities in the nation. There were 585 alcohol-related fatalities statewide in 2006, up 15% from 2005.
Interlock devices are placed beneath the dash of a vehicle and require a clean breath sample to start the car. Most units will prevent the car from starting if a blood-alcohol content of as little as 0.03% or above is detected. A person has three tries to blow a clean sample before the device shuts down and requires a technician to recalibrate it.
The DUI offender pays for the $100 mechanism, which costs about $80 a month to maintain.

Ziggy
09-17-2007, 08:12 AM
wonder if the interlock devices will be required for out of state offenders?

RaceFace
09-17-2007, 08:14 AM
Are they going to try that for boats too?? ;)

AZJD
09-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Walked home thursday night, someone else drove friday, and saturday.....well I am working on that.
Don't want one and taking measures to avoid getting one!

Baja Big Dog
09-17-2007, 08:35 AM
Damn...Arizona is sounding better and better every day!!!!!:D

RaceFace
09-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Damn...Arizona is sounding better and better every day!!!!!:D
Tell me about it!!!! :D :D

Boozer
09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Is the company that mankes interlock devices publicly traded? Might be a good company to buy some stock in.

River Runin
09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
That's some Great news! ;)

MAINEVENT
09-17-2007, 09:33 AM
Tough New
Arizona DUI Law Kicks In
Arizona - It’s going to be much tougher with DUI offenders in Arizona beginning Wednesday of this week. First-time violators will face mandatory ignition-interlock devices, higher fines and for a minimum of 45 days in jail for super extreme DUI convictions (those who have a blood-alcohol concentration registering as 0.20% or above, which is more than double the legal limit of 0.08%.)
The new law is one of the strictest in the U.S. and similar to another tough one in New Mexico. DUI attorneys are fully against the new measures, believing it is both unfair and will lead to increased court caseloads and hit first-time offenders very hard. With this new law, DUI first-time convicted offenders must pass a breath test before being able to use their vehicle. The Arizona Motor Vehicle Division expects about 17,000 first-time drunken drivers in the coming year. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration records show Arizona had the sixth-highest number of alcohol-related fatalities in the nation. There were 585 alcohol-related fatalities statewide in 2006, up 15% from 2005.
Interlock devices are placed beneath the dash of a vehicle and require a clean breath sample to start the car. Most units will prevent the car from starting if a blood-alcohol content of as little as 0.03% or above is detected. A person has three tries to blow a clean sample before the device shuts down and requires a technician to recalibrate it.
The DUI offender pays for the $100 mechanism, which costs about $80 a month to maintain.
And as far as i understood in my trusty DUI program i just had to complete this nifty law will be coming to the golden state of Killa-Kalifornia as of 2008... Good Thing Im Sober Now :eek: :D

Jbb
09-17-2007, 09:40 AM
The Arizona Motor Vehicle Division expects about 17,000 first-time drunken drivers in the coming year.
:jawdrop:

redneckcharlie
09-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Is the company that mankes interlock devices publicly traded? Might be a good company to buy some stock in.
One of my closest friends owns an interlock company here in NM. The manufacturers are not publicly traded. As of now there are anywhere from 8-10 manufacturers. The units to the dealer cost anywhere from 1200-1500 dollars depending on which ones you buy. The monthly service here is between 65-80 dollars a month. Now for the kicker. Here in NM, part of the court costs goes into a fund, that if the offender can not "afford" to put the unit it, which is required by law, then that state fund will pay for the majority of the service. The offenders are not aloud to purchase the units here, just lease them. The amount of capital outlay for this business is very high. Out of that monthly fee, only half goes back to the actual dealer or installer. The other half goes back to the manufacturer. The only way to make money on this is to have a minimum of 500 units out. Here they're averaging about 600-700 convictions a month, I'm sure Arizona will be alot higher. If anybody wants info on how to get started with it, drop me a PM, and I'll give you all the information you need.

Boatcop
09-17-2007, 11:02 AM
wonder if the interlock devices will be required for out of state offenders?
Yes.
Are they going to try that for boats too?? ;)
No.

Ziggy
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Yes.
Now I'm curious to know what % of DUI arrests are of Ca. residents, especially in the counties near the river. :idea:

HPLavey
09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
There were 585 alcohol-related fatalities statewide in 2006, up 15% from 2005.
Not to get totally off topic, But know Az has a large number of pool drownings every year! what do you think happens to those first time neglegent offenders?

roostwear
09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Not to get totally off topic, But know Az has a large number of pool drownings every year! what do you think happens to those first time neglegent offenders?
They die......

Boatcop
09-17-2007, 03:14 PM
I would guess it's probably closer to 15-20% near river cities. Maybe Alan can shed some light.
I'd have to go back and look at records.
For the Big Weekends, I'd guess around 75% tourists. But for the rest of the time I'd have to say around 10%.

YeLLowBoaT
09-17-2007, 03:22 PM
I for one think it's a good thing. :)

PaPaG
09-17-2007, 03:30 PM
They can make the toughest laws on earth but lets see them start to enforce them. On any given summer weekend from Lake Mohave to Parker you have hundreds of drunks on the water and then at the launch ramps at the end of the day...and how many DUI or OUI's are given? not many in relations to the amount of drunks out there...We have sat at any given launch ramp for the follies at the end of the day and have seen dozens and dozens of drunks w/o any LEO interaction. I bet if each state and local station stepped up and enforced the OverTheLimit law they could double the size of their budget in just 1 season.
Not the LEO's fault, it is the state's fault for not funding the programs and it won't change til they do. Until then we have to put up with idiot drunks thinking it is their given right to drive a boat drunk and even worse get on the road drunk towing that boat at the end of the day...let the bashing begin..:D

Boatcop
09-17-2007, 03:59 PM
They can make the toughest laws on earth but lets see them start to enforce them. On any given summer weekend from Lake Mohave to Parker you have hundreds of drunks on the water and then at the launch ramps at the end of the day...and how many DUI or OUI's are given? not many in relations to the amount of drunks out there...We have sat at any given launch ramp for the follies at the end of the day and have seen dozens and dozens of drunks w/o any LEO interaction. I bet if each state and local station stepped up and enforced the OverTheLimit law they could double the size of their budget in just 1 season. Not the LEO's fault, it is the state's fault for not funding the programs and it won't change til they do. Until then we have to put up with idiot drunks thinking it is their given right to drive a boat drunk and even worse get on the road drunk towing that boat at the end of the day...let the bashing begin..:D
Since no money from OUIs/DUI fines go to the local Agencys, it would have no impact whatsoever on our budgets.

Ziggy
09-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Since no money from OUIs/DUI fines go to the local Agencys, it would have no impact whatsoever on our budgets.
I'd think the impact would be more along the lines of saving lives, the drunks but moreover the innocent folks around them.

beernut
09-17-2007, 04:23 PM
hey is working already, and it's not even a law yet!!!,and now that iam clean and sober , i like it a lot, and with the amount of shieat ive pulled and got away with in the past, i dont feel like iam missin a thing;) :D :D

Boatcop
09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?
Beer Nuts are $2.49 a bag.
Deer Nuts are under a buck.
:D

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Argh!!! This is another case of the man trying to take away our fun. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
With this new law, DUI first-time convicted offenders must pass a breath test before being able to use their vehicle.
This is similar to how it works here. Between arrest and trial, the person with a DUI charge does not have a driver's license. This usually takes 6~8 weeks.
After trial, the DUI convict can apply to have a temporary driver's license. Basically, the DUI convict needs to prove they have a need to drive for employment, access to city services (if rural), or whatever. It is not always granted and can be granted with any restrictions the judge desires. They are often given, though. The minimum restriction the judge can grant is a license with interlock restriction. That means the DUI convict can't drive any vehicle other than his or her own.
Cost of the interlock up here is not $100. lol! As I recall, my electrician paid around $3500 with installation and the monthly charge was a few hundred. For a couple of months, he had to hire a guy to drive for him. It was kind of funny because the guy was a total moron. Regular inspections are performed to insure the lockout is functioning properly and not tampered with. During the inspection, the use log of the lockout is downloaded and examined.
Up here, samples are taken prior to allowing the vehicle to start plus at random intervals while driving. I think it's random with a maximum sample time of 10 minutes. This prevents a drunk from getting a buddy to help him start his car.
If the lockout log is found to have a breath test failure, I believe it is grounds for impounding the vehicle, removing the temporary license, and a hearing called. I'm pretty sure it's a 1 strike rule but I'm not positive about that.
... so I would suggest you guys are treating impared drivers pretty well. At least, you're treating them better than the people they kill.
Cheers. :)

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
That's a nice slight of hand trick but revenue is retained in the system.

Jbb
09-17-2007, 05:13 PM
That's a nice slight of hand trick but revenue is retained in the system.
Look at Brown all.......crackin on the copper.......and shit...:D

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Look at Brown all.......crackin on the copper.......and shit...:D
No one gets a pass here.
I've got my eye on you, you commie bastard. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif

Jbb
09-17-2007, 05:17 PM
No one gets a pass here.
I've got my eye on you, you commie bastard. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/mad.gif
You cant talk to me like that!....I'll have you pre banned from the new site..:mad:

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
I'll have you pre banned from the new site..:mad:
Can I apply for special dispensation to use the site if I install an asshole interlock switch on my PC?

sorry dog
09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Can I apply for special dispensation to use the site if I install an asshole interlock switch on my PC?
You'll need one of them dual quad core puters if you expect the interlock to keep up...

Jbb
09-17-2007, 05:29 PM
You'll need one of them dual quad core puters if you expect the interlock to keep up...
Both of you are.....................Out!

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 05:31 PM
There's nothing for Dog and I to do now but pick up a few flats of Labatt Lite and go start some shit on Scream & Fly.

sorry dog
09-17-2007, 05:36 PM
Both of you are.....................Out!
I didn't hear about a new site but if it's gonna be called Plumpertalk.com then keeping Brown out of that will be like keeping flys away from shit.

Jbb
09-17-2007, 05:47 PM
There's nothing for Dog and I to do now but pick up a few flats of Labatt Lite and go start some shit on Scream & Fly.
Greggie has already been put on notice...and will be waiting for you..:)

kylesbds
09-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Don't get me wrong I don't think drinking and driving is right by any means but it seems like there are just as many accidents, deaths and DUIs as ever. I don't have statistics in front of me but it just doesn't seem like anything they do or how much they increase penalties for drinking and driving helps the situation. Not to sound negative about it but what are they going to do next start putting those machines in brand new cars before they can be sold. Already the penalties for first time offenders are really strict. Everyone makes mistakes.

PaPaG
09-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Sorry to hear that Boat Cop, I bet you could do a number on all the OUI's out there...Keep up the good work :D

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
...Not to sound negative about it but what are they going to do next start putting those machines in brand new cars before they can be sold.
Nissan has developed a device that can test BAC levels in drivers. They've demonstrated in a few prototype cars.
Already the penalties for first time offenders are really strict. Everyone makes mistakes.
Yeah. Drinking and driving is no big deal. It's not like it's hurting anybody.

No Name
09-17-2007, 09:05 PM
PROBLEM
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Glass-of-Beer--C10279108.jpeg
http://riekmann.prohosting.com/verkauf2/chevrolet_caprice_1978_police_car_schwarz_hinten.j pg
SOLUTION
http://www.thomashawk.com/hello/209/1017/1024/Taxi%20Line.jpg

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2007, 07:26 AM
So now we have the same law as the state with the highest rate of DUI accident/deaths in the union...
Proof once again that laws make us safer... yeah us...

bocco
09-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Do they make a lockout device for azzholes and morons?

kylesbds
09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
People that get totally hammered and drive deserve what is coming to them. But I have a buddy that was driving home after having 2 beers, a guy on a Harley came iflying through an intersection and slammed into my buddies truck while my buddy was stopped at a red light. The guy on the harley died and now they are trying to press man slaughter charges on my buddy for having a .077 bac. It totally wasn't his fault at all its just that there was a death and they are trying to blame him cause he had been drinking which had nothing to do with the situation at hand.

The Doctor
09-18-2007, 05:03 PM
I suppose some will have to lose a close friend or family member to a drunk driver to understand the fact that it's the #1 killer on our roadways. For me, I'll just applaud the stiffer measures imposed by the new law in hopes of saving any life/lives.

No Name
09-18-2007, 05:08 PM
People that get totally hammered and drive deserve what is coming to them. But I have a buddy that was driving home after having 2 beers, a guy on a Harley came iflying through an intersection and slammed into my buddies truck while my buddy was stopped at a red light. The guy on the harley died and now they are trying to press man slaughter charges on my buddy for having a .077 bac. It totally wasn't his fault at all its just that there was a death and they are trying to blame him cause he had been drinking which had nothing to do with the situation at hand.
It’s going to cost your buddy some $$$$$$$$ but I’m sure a good attorney can beat that charge. If what you’re saying happened is correct.

sorry dog
09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
I think we should all have to wear helmets while in the vehicle.
That way we can change the law back to .1 or even .12 and more than offset the number of DUI deaths and we can have our fun again.

Moneypitt
09-18-2007, 07:36 PM
It’s going to cost your buddy some $$$$$$$$ but I’m sure a good attorney can beat that charge. If what you’re saying happened is correct.
Yeah it will cost him a bundle and he should have NEVER been charged, That is bullshit. He should sue the Harley owner's estate to recoup what ever his legal expenses are plus a gazillion dollars for all the hassle he is going through. This is an area of the frecking law that needs to be changed. Stopped at a red light!!!! What possible difference could the amount of alcohol in his system make?? He could have been absolutly 100% sober and the outcome would've been the same....was the cycle rider wasted?.......Truly an abuse of the DA's power trip.....................MP