PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn Sheep / Hunters will like this !

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
A good friend of mine is a world class hunter,scout & taxidermist. He gets paid big bucks to scout sheep for hunters all over the world. This is the Governors tag from Montana that he scouted last week. The guy that got the tag was a 22,000:1 shot.
I only know a little about the #'s ratings on these things ( I shoot, but I don't hunt and think that animals like this should be left alone for the most part, IE, I think they are more majestic in nature than hanging on a wall someplace) with that said the measurement are 194.42"x40x16 1/4 base I think.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/RobertEthingtonMt.supertag2007loers2.jpg?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Racey
09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
That thing looks HUUGE!! a few years back my buddy's old man got his once a lifetime tag for a big horn, i think he ended up with about 90lbs of meat off it, pretty good stuff.

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 02:26 PM
That thing looks HUUGE!! a few years back my buddy's old man got his once a lifetime tag for a big horn, i think he ended up with about 90lbs of meat off it, pretty good stuff.
I got a call out to see where it stands in the record book. It's huuge I just dont know how big. Here is another pic I didn't have time to post earlier.
http://i201.Photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/RobertEthingtonsupertagMt2007logroo.jpg?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

phebus
09-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Wow, what a shame..................:(

Debbolas
09-17-2007, 02:48 PM
We have Big Horned Sheep in our Cucamonga Wilderness, they are endangered. :(
I have seen them while backpacking there. It's amazing to just look over and see this animal run UP the side of the mountain.:D

Baja Big Dog
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
That thing is huge and beautiful.. and I agree with you, I hunt everything and anything, but if I don't eat it, I don't shoot it, Im all in favor of herd management, and in many cases it is necessary, and justified. (unless its a fricken coyote that kills calves or fricken destructive squirrels!) I have shot sheep, and its a real challenge cooking, my mom used to cook most of the game my dad and I shot, she was a wizard at making game meat not taste like game meat!!!! The sheep was the challenge, she was an expert on lamb being Armenian, but this one through her for a loop.:D
I bet the guys a Boone and Crocket are taking the measurements one this monster!!!
Tell him I hate him!!!!!:D And I would like to shake his hand!!!
What are the details on the shot...gun, cal, distance etc?

Kilrtoy
09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
No shit, I dont get people who kill beautiful animals like this...

YeLLowBoaT
09-17-2007, 02:53 PM
its called conservation. which is better? kill off a few animals, or have them over populate an area and have them all starve?

Froggystyle
09-17-2007, 02:55 PM
That thing looks like a water buffalo. Would have loved to have seen that thing alive...

SummerBreeze
09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Wow...... Grandpa Sheep!!! Look at his teeth
I bet that thing will be tough as hell to eat

Froggystyle
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
its called conservation. which is better? kill off a few animals, or have them over populate an area and have them all starve?
Yeah.. I was going to mention something about how underfed that monster looks...
I have a small suspicion that the big horn sheep, endangered all over the south west isn't in any danger of overpopulating any time soon.

YeLLowBoaT
09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah.. I was going to mention something about how underfed that monster looks...
I have a small suspicion that the big horn sheep, endangered all over the south west isn't in any danger of overpopulating any time soon.
I tend to agree with you on big horn sheep, but generally for big game that is how it works. Its happend many times over the years. perfect example is mountian lion hunting.( BTW I don't call chasing a cat into a tree with dogs hunting... I also strongly beleave that if your not going to eat it, you don't shoot it) before they stoped hunting, mountain lion attacks were very rare, now they are very common. They are litterly starving. Thier population has grown to where the food supply can not longer support them.

Baja Big Dog
09-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I tend to agree with you on big horn sheep, but generally for big game that is how it works. Its happend many times over the years. perfect example is mountian lion hunting.( BTW I don't call chasing a cat into a tree with dogs hunting... I also strongly beleave that if your not going to eat it, you don't shoot it) before they stoped hunting, mountain lion attacks were very rare, now they are very common. They are litterly starving. Thier population has grown to where the food supply can not longer support them.
In the late 70's early 80's they had a "mercy" shoot in Florida, in or around the everglades, the deer were so overpopulated that they had to thin the herds out. These guys were shooting what they thought were fawns, that turned out to be three and four old adults!! It was sickening, the birth deformities and the health of the deer was a crime!!! They killed thousands during a few weeks, and most of the meat was not eatable!!

AZJD
09-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Big Horn sheep are limited to 100 hunting tags a year. This is an attempt to keep the numbers from declining anymore.
I am not a hunter and would rather see this animal in the wild and alive, but too each their own. I am not here to bash anyones hobby.

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Tell him I hate him!!!!!:D And I would like to shake his hand!!!
What are the details on the shot...gun, cal, distance etc?
350 yards 300 Mag. It's 10 1/2 yrs old.
They slept on the Mountain and got up before sun rise.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
I'm with you on that. My friend does beautiful work and I don't give him shit for what he does, he is one of the best in the US, but some of the people he does work for are trying to wipe out the population of sheep.
Here is a pic of one of my friends walls he does the mounts and designs and builds the walls. This was done in a guys guest house.
It is only part of his collection of animals:eek:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/HarmsNorthAmericanRoom016lores_00.jpg?
When I can find it I'll post the "Big Wall" he did for another guy. The work is awesome but damn....

boat boy
09-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I agree with you, but what gives us the right to judge. He might think the same about us driving our boats on the vary same water he drinks, not to mention what else goes on there.
These tags are few and far between, the animals need to be manage. Without proper management, most species would die due to lack of food, disease or something else.
No shit, I dont get people who kill beautifunl animals like this...

hotsand65
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
That really sucks. Am I supposed to be impressed that you killed something that you probably will disgard anyways. Pictures like that make me SICK, just like the person that gets a rush in killing something like that. Find a real hobby.

hotsand65
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
What a stupid reply. If that was a couple year old ram that you saw then fine, but obviously that guy was old and didn't deserve to be killed for your pleasure.

hotsand65
09-17-2007, 04:52 PM
What a stupid reply. If that was a couple year old ram that you saw then fine, but obviously that guy was old and didn't deserve to be killed for your pleasure.

River Runin
09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm with you on that. My friend does beautiful work and I don't give him shit for what he does, he is one of the best in the US, but some of the people he does work for are trying to wipe out the population of sheep.
Here is a pic of one of my friends walls he does the mounts and designs and builds the walls. This was done in a guys guest house.
It is only part of his collection of animals:eek:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/HarmsNorthAmericanRoom016lores_00.jpg?
When I can find it I'll post the "Big Wall" he did for another guy. The work is awesome but damn....
EVERY Cabelas has the same wall! ;)---The Big wall is on the other side of the store! :D And there ALL, repeat--ALL reproductions! Fakes!--- very good Fakes!!--But fakes! :)
won't comment on the simple minded peta's, But thats a nice Big Horn!

Phat Matt
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
That thing is a monster! I would have been shaking like a leaf if I saw that thing. :D

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 05:40 PM
EVERY Cabelas has the same wall! ;)---The Big wall is on the other side of the store! :D And there ALL, repeat--ALL reproductions! Fakes!--- very good Fakes!!--But fakes! :)won't comment on the simple minded peta's, But thats a nice Big Horn!
Oh no there not. I've seen other pictures of this collection. This is in a guys guest house. I'll find out where. I think I know but I want to be sure. John has been doing walls in peoples houses like this for about 10 years, and he has done a few of the stores too.
p.s. The collection pictured is in a house in the Northeast. Multimillionaire contractor. John who did it, built the walls in the Cabelas stores in
South Dakota, Michigan and Minnesota.
I'll find a few more pics. The House in Northern California makes this wall look small.
Sleeper CP

YeLLowBoaT
09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
some times the old must be culled to help the young

River Runin
09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Oh no there not. I've seen other pictures of this collection. This is in a guys guest house. I'll find out where. I think I know but I want to be sure. John has been doing walls in peoples houses like this for about 10 years, and he has done a few of the stores too.
p.s. The collection pictured is in a house in the Northeast. Multimillionaire contractor. John who did it, built the walls in the Cabelas stores in
South Dakota, Michigan and Minnesota.
I'll find a few more pics. The House in Northern California makes this wall look small.
Sleeper CP
Been to All three! :D---Also the Shop that does ALL the repo's for the stores! :confused: But, He Do Good Work! ;)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39411&stc=1&d=1190082588

River Runin
09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
nice work! :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39412&stc=1&d=1190082784

River Runin
09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Just a few pics from a Trip! :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39413&stc=1&d=1190082930

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
EVERY Cabelas has the same wall! ;)---The Big wall is on the other side of the store! :D And there ALL, repeat--ALL reproductions! Fakes!--- very good Fakes!!--But fakes! :)
won't comment on the simple minded peta's, But thats a nice Big Horn!
Does the big wall look like this? : This is a display at a house in NorthernCalifornia.. or so I was told.. you should see the house:jawdrop:
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/DSCF0120.jpg?t=1190082590
John mounted a little over 30 of these.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

River Runin
09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
That is Very good work!! You should be able to appreciate my confusion! ;)
If he is the same guy??--Who Had a Ranch outside of Tumulo Or.---We've met!;)

Cheap Thrills
09-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Something wrong Mr. Ventura ?
Why no, This is a lovely room of death. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/PDVD_007.JPG
T.

hotsand65
09-17-2007, 07:39 PM
some times the old must be culled to help the young
Nah, don't think so!

YeLLowBoaT
09-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Nah, don't think so!
so inbreading is a good thing?
I think you will find that just about every biologist disagrees with you.

hotsand65
09-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry, but personally I could give a rats ass about your opinion or that of a biologist. When I see a picture of a very old soul and see that he has been shot for someones enjoyment I could give a shit about what anyone has to say. I'm going to be shot down for my opinion, but damn it breaks my heart to see him shot like that..:mad:

Sleeper CP
09-17-2007, 08:02 PM
When did we start talking about Alabama:confused: :idea:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

cave
09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Still see these Big Horns at Saguaro. Once in a great while they will come down and drink just before the bend at Sandy Beach. All the time I had my digi cam i never thought of snapping a pic. I'm just in awe of them climbing down those step a$$ cliffs. If I wasnt gulpin down this Wendys double burger I'd prolly talk some smack about hunting. Ummm good;).

ThongMagnet
09-17-2007, 11:52 PM
It takes a different mind set to shoot an animal like that. I realize there is always the hunter and the hunted. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Makes you think how someday the world will thin out the herd of humans. I'm guessing it will be hunger. (Logans Run)

Wicky
09-18-2007, 05:38 AM
It's called FOOD for some of us!!! Where do you think all that shit you buy at Albertsons comes from. Now go find a tree to hug!!!
P.S. MT Baldy HAD a very healthy population of animals like this one. A lot of the animals were helicopted out to one of the Channel Islands several years ago. That was about the same time they put the Mt Lions on the no hunt list. When they put the cats on the endangered list all the Rams basically disappeared. Cats like Rams for dinner. Cats also have kittens. About a dozen at a time too!! Now there are lots of Kitties up there and very few rams. Way to go envirowackos!!! Efin huggers!!! I wish they would go away. Conservation is key and I'm all for that. Too bad the envirowackos don't get it. Oh yeah, since the rams are gone humans look much better on the kitties menu!!
P.S. I hunt for the meat not the horns.
Mow,
Wicky

Wicky
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
That really sucks. Am I supposed to be impressed that you killed something that you probably will disgard anyways. Pictures like that make me SICK, just like the person that gets a rush in killing something like that. Find a real hobby.
Unless your a vegetarian, go hug a hormone infested cow, or a chicken that is so pumped up on steriods it can't even get off the ground.
When/if amegedon happens I'll be eating a big thick juicy elk steak while your waiting in line to get govt cheese!!!
Now go pop in your Bambi video!!!

Sleeper CP
09-18-2007, 06:38 AM
It takes a different mind set to shoot an animal like that. I realize there is always the hunter and the hunted. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Makes you think how someday the world will thin out the herd of humans. I'm guessing it will be hunger. (Logans Run)
Every now and then the other side takes one of ours. John has lost two friends, one a very experienced hunter, to Cape Buffalo. The last guy in 2006 got ambushed by a young bull that was hiding as a century while the hunter was going after a larger bull. From about 27-30 yards out the nearly 1 ton bull hit him at full speed.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

wedge44
09-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Like what....say Drinking at a sand bar and sitting around staring at your best friend's wife or Girlfriend or even worse his daughter, when that very same sand bar could support aquatic life, frogs, tadpoles, fish etc....birds could land and feed .......but NO.....who have to get on here and complain about somebody who, with permits helps maintain a healthy wild animal population by culling the heard.....look up the word "Culling" ....it's what need to be done to some idiot HOT BOATERS.......sorry for the rant:D :D :D

phebus
09-18-2007, 07:17 AM
If I was to cull a herd, I would take out the Rosie O'Donnell's before I'd take out the Heidi Klum's is all I'm saying.
That animal was a beauty.........

Wicky
09-18-2007, 07:22 AM
If I was to cull a herd, I would take out the Rosie O'Donnell's before I'd take out the Heidi Klum's is all I'm saying.
If Heidi was as old as that ram her horns would be sagggin...:D

wedge44
09-18-2007, 07:23 AM
But I would rather eat a Heidi way before I would eat a Rosie....unless it was Heidi's rosie spot...:D :D :D Wedge

Wicky
If if if if......if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle!!!:D

Magic34
In a weird way that makes perfect sense. Are you saying that if you had a dream that Heidi was a sheep, you would hump it?
You are absolutely right, what a shame.

2Driver
09-18-2007, 08:09 AM
It was an outstanding animal.
But who the fock are we to say what lives and dies based on it's appearance to the human eye. That's just absurd thinking. At best (or worse) I would say trophy hunting tends to remove the stronger gene pool animals, but I am sure that guy had plenty gene spreading in his lifetime.
I've come to find that hunting is one of those subjects where you just have to leave each others opinons lie.

Froggystyle
09-18-2007, 08:10 AM
It's called FOOD for some of us!!! Where do you think all that shit you buy at Albertsons comes from. Now go find a tree to hug!!!
P.S. MT Baldy HAD a very healthy population of animals like this one. A lot of the animals were helicopted out to one of the Channel Islands several years ago. That was about the same time they put the Mt Lions on the no hunt list. When they put the cats on the endangered list all the Rams basically disappeared. Cats like Rams for dinner. Cats also have kittens. About a dozen at a time too!! P.S. I hunt for the meat not the horns.
Mow,
Wicky
Well, for starters... about mountain lions...
Reproduction and Offspring: There is no fixed mating season, but in North America, the majority of births occur between late winter and early spring. Females tend to reproduce every other year, and give birth to litters of 1 - 6 (usually 2-3) kittens after a gestation of 90-96 days.
Second... nobody likes the taste of Bighorn that I have ever met. Most eat some of it at least to satisfy the whole "I shot it, I eat it" program, but EVERY bighorn hunter/trapper I have ever met mounted the trophy.
Not saying it is right or wrong, but I don't frame my reciept from Albertsons when I buy a tri-tip for food.
There are all sorts of ways to look at this. I am all about species conservation. I am not a tree hugger, nor do I play one on TV. I think that trophy hunting is fundamentally wrong at any level though. To me, it takes all of the goodness out of whatever you are doing, and reminds me of serial killers cutting ears off of their victims as trophies. Same mentality as far as I am concerned.
Ducks, pheasant, elk, moose, deer, boars, doves etc... all have explosive populations near urban areas. Humans don't like top of food chain predators close to our houses, so bears, cats etc... tend to get relocated elsewhere. Deer can grow quickly and rampantly and do cause a lot of problems. Cull the herd... or introduce some predators.
To me, life is tough enough in the desert. If a desert bighorn can find a way to live out there, dealing with boaters, mountain lions, naturalists, the heat, drought, flood and such... let them live. That moonscape they shot that beautiful thing on wasn't exactly developed land.
My personal feeling on this subject is that this particular animal was better off alive than on a wall or in a store. The world is probably a lesser place with it dead.

Kilrtoy
09-18-2007, 08:15 AM
P.S. MT Baldy HAD a very healthy population of animals like this one. A lot of the animals were helicopted out to one of the Channel Islands several years ago. That was about the same time they put the Mt Lions on the no hunt list. When they put the cats on the endangered list all the Rams basically disappeared. Cats like Rams for dinner. Cats also have kittens. About a dozen at a time too!! Now there are lots of Kitties up there and very few rams. Way to go envirowackos!!! Efin huggers!!! I wish they would go away. Conservation is key and I'm all for that. Too bad the envirowackos don't get it. Oh yeah, since the rams are gone humans look much better on the kitties menu!!
Mow,
Wicky
GIVE ME A FU CKING BREAK, food, UM OK....
How about the hunter here sit outside your work and hide in the bushes and when you walk outside to go home, he just plug you in the neck with that round... I mean its hunting right....

Jyruiz
09-18-2007, 08:26 AM
I couldn't do it.

2Driver
09-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Let's face it humans are meat eaters and meat, along with leather, comes from animals.
So, if shoving 10,000 animals shoulder to shoulder into a fenced stockyard so they can consume their own waste and be pumped full of antibiotics for 4 years makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your burger then go for it. :D

Wicky
09-18-2007, 08:32 AM
Well, for starters... about mountain lions...
Reproduction and Offspring: There is no fixed mating season, but in North America, the majority of births occur between late winter and early spring. Females tend to reproduce every other year, and give birth to litters of 1 - 6 (usually 2-3) kittens after a gestation of 90-96 days.
Second... nobody likes the taste of Bighorn that I have ever met. Most eat some of it at least to satisfy the whole "I shot it, I eat it" program, but EVERY bighorn hunter/trapper I have ever met mounted the trophy.
Not saying it is right or wrong, but I don't frame my reciept from Albertsons when I buy a tri-tip for food.
There are all sorts of ways to look at this. I am all about species conservation. I am not a tree hugger, nor do I play one on TV. I think that trophy hunting is fundamentally wrong at any level though. To me, it takes all of the goodness out of whatever you are doing, and reminds me of serial killers cutting ears off of their victims as trophies. Same mentality as far as I am concerned.
Ducks, pheasant, elk, moose, deer, boars, doves etc... all have explosive populations near urban areas. Humans don't like top of food chain predators close to our houses, so bears, cats etc... tend to get relocated elsewhere. Deer can grow quickly and rampantly and do cause a lot of problems. Cull the herd... or introduce some predators.
To me, life is tough enough in the desert. If a desert bighorn can find a way to live out there, dealing with boaters, mountain lions, naturalists, the heat, drought, flood and such... let them live. That moonscape they shot that beautiful thing on wasn't exactly developed land.
My personal feeling on this subject is that this particular animal was better off alive than on a wall or in a store. The world is probably a lesser place with it dead.
OK Marlin Perkins...you've watched Bambi too many times already....period...Here kitty kitty kitty

Wicky
09-18-2007, 08:36 AM
GIVE ME A FU CKING BREAK, food, UM OK....
How about the hunter here sit outside your work and hide in the bushes and when you walk outside to go home, he just plug you in the neck with that round... I mean its hunting right....
Don't quite understand your syntax there Mr. Killer....you must be hanging out with those school children a lot lately.... :) Bwaahahahahah!!!

Wicky
09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
A little joke for those who know how to laugh.
What is the Indian word for bad hunter......
Vegetarian!!!:D

sangervdrive
09-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Let's face it humans are meat eaters and meat, along with leather, comes from animals.
So, if shoving 10,000 animals shoulder to shoulder into a fenced stockyard so they can consume their own waste and be pumped full of antibiotics for 4 years makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your burger then go for it. :D
Right on.

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Stop reminding people of that...
For those of you who think that hunting is bad for herds, look at the elk population in the Western US... at the turn of the last century (that was 1900, just to save some of you the mental gymnatstics), the Elk herds were desimated. The implamintation of hunting seasons and licensing helped control the "take" and increase the strength of the herds. 30 years ago size limits were put in place. Why?? Because the younger animals were being taken and this reduced strength of the herd. So now we purposely hunt the older animals, and leave those in their prime breading years alone (for the most part).
The result?? The Elk herds are at an all time high numbers, some biologists say higher than they have ever been. Some herds are to the point that winter starvation is their biggest danger to animal health.
There is a very small number of big horn sheep tags released in most western states. That number is usually decided by the biologists as to what the ideal herd size needs to be. They are banking on you taking the oldest animals. This opens up the breading for the younger and stronger Rams, thus produce stronger herds.
You can not like hunting on a moral level, that's fine. However, without it, we wouldn't have the wildlife we enjoy today.
<---- Used to hunt, doesn't any more.

WYRD
09-18-2007, 08:54 AM
So where is a chickens nuggets:confused: :D

Wicky
09-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Stop reminding people of that...
For those of you who think that hunting is bad for heards, look at the elk population in the Western US... at the turn of the last century (that was 1900, just to save some of you the mental gymnatstics), the Elk heards were desimated. The implamintation of hunting seasons and licensing helped control the "take" and increase the strength of the heards. 30 years ago size limits were put in place. Why?? Because the younger animals were being taken and this reduced strength of the heard. So now we purposely hunt the older animals, and leave those in their prime breading years alone (for the most part).
The result?? The Elk heards are at an all time high numbers, some biologists say higher than they have ever been. Some herds are to the point that winter starvation is their biggest danger to animal health.
There is a very small number of big horn sheep tags released in most western states. That number is usually decided by the biologists as to what the ideal heard size needs to be. They are banking on you taking the oldest animals. This opens up the breading for the younger and stronger Rams, thus produce stronger heards.
You can not like hunting on a moral level, that's fine. However, without it, we wouldn't have the wildlife we have to enjoy today.
<---- Used to hunt, doesn't any more.
Now, with all the fires we have had up here, the wolves are going to have a heyday with the elk population!! This brings me to Forestry and old growth.
Ahhhh forget it. Huggers will always be hypocrites....so what's my point.
I don't know anymore.

Sleeper CP
09-18-2007, 09:10 AM
It's called FOOD for some of us!!!
Mow,
Wicky
Something tells me a 10 year old ram wouldn't even taste good in a stew with a lot of red wine in it.
I don't rag on those that trophy hunt, I just wouldn't shoot something as majestic as that Big Horn. But I whack varmints all the time. I plan on taking a couple of my guns to Montana to varmint hunt ground hogs at 300 yards and maybe take an Antelope in the next year.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Froggystyle
09-18-2007, 09:11 AM
OK Marlin Perkins...you've watched Bambi too many times already....period...Here kitty kitty kitty
Never watched it.... seriously.
We had a 275# Mountain lion living in my yard when I was a kid. Used my tree fort as a hunting blind to drill deer with. State trappers when they came out to check it out took a look at the scat and figured it might even be north of 300# one year. It was EXTREMELY well fed by the overpopulation of deer in the area, and lets face it... we lived in the woods.
The trappers asked what we wanted to do with it. Answer was simple... if he is well fed and not a threat to the kids (us) within reason... let it be. We had a lot of property and were probably only a passing stop on this big cat's territory. We saw him every month or so, and had some very nervous dogs during that period.

Wicky
09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Never watched it.... seriously.
We had a 275# Mountain lion living in my yard when I was a kid. Used my tree fort as a hunting blind to drill deer with. State trappers when they came out to check it out took a look at the scat and figured it might even be north of 300# one year. It was EXTREMELY well fed by the overpopulation of deer in the area, and lets face it... we lived in the woods.
The trappers asked what we wanted to do with it. Answer was simple... if he is well fed and not a threat to the kids (us) within reason... let it be. We had a lot of property and were probably only a passing stop on this big cat's territory. We saw him every month or so, and had some very nervous dogs during that period.
Now that is awesome and chilling at the same time!!
I still have never seen one outside of captivity. If I did see one, I would take a shot at it. My weapon.......my new waterproof Pentax!! I like to eat the other kind of pussy!!!

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2007, 09:24 AM
I still have never seen one outside of captivity. If I did see one, I would take a shot at it. My weapon.......my new waterproof Pentax!! I like to eat the other kind of pussy!!!
We had one that lived around our house. You knew when it was around because the dog would go dead quiet and go hide in the corner. We used to see kitty tracks in the snow on the deck quite often in the winter.

boat boy
09-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Think about this: I'd rather hunt with Dick Cheney than drive with Ted Kennedy. Chapaquita for those of you in Rio Linda.

Froggystyle
09-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I am really busy at work right now believe it or not or I would tell you the story of me at 12 years old or so chasing a raccoon down our hill with a paintball gun and a 5d cell maglite. Wait... I guess I am already telling the story...
OK, quickly... I get about 100 yards down the hill and the raccoon does an about face and blasts past me and trees itself. Not before I caught the glint of some eyes about 15 yards past the coon though. Two deer, standing head to head apparently behind a bush. Then one deer, walking out of the bush, then two deer. Wait... those deer sure seem to be moving insync with one another... but what could possibly have eyes 12" apart?
Answer... a 300# mountain lion. I honestly thought I was dead. The realization of what I was looking at hit me like a freight train. Me, standing there with a flashlight and a CO2 powered Nel-Spot cattle marker.
I bounded up that hill in about two jumps, straight onto the deck, slammed the door behind me, ran into my parents room (1:00 am or so after Carson... that is when the coons came out to eat our dog food...) and tried to breathlessly explain to them what I just saw, with only every fourth word coming out between the hyperactive breathing and pure terror.
So, out comes the 7mm Remington and a 2 million candlepower spotlight from my brothers balcony. Sure as hell, there is was about 125 yards down the hill, right in the crosshairs, right where I said it was. Then it moved to the tree fort. After showing the whole family through the scope, my Dad pretty much said we needed to find out if it was dangerous to us or the dogs before killing something so beautiful. I agreed. If it had wanted me, it had plenty of opportunity already.
Then,the trappers and the rest of the story...
"Scruffy" lived on our property for better than 8 more years, and we even named an abysinnian cat that was a dead ringer for him after it.

Not So Fast
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
IMO, you sit out of harms way at you say 350 yards and shoot an animal, wow, what a sportsman. Do it with a bow&arrow and then you can call yourself a hunter other wise your a murderer!!!!!! Go to Iraq and kill something that needs to be killed. NSF

Wicky
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
IMO, you sit out of harms way at you say 350 yards and shoot an animal, wow, what a sportsman. Do it with a bow&arrow and then you can call yourself a hunter other wise your a murderer!!!!!! Go to Iraq and kill something that needs to be killed. NSF
I only hunt with a bow. I do carry a .357 at my side just in case I run into a pissed off momma bear!!

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Bow hunting and rifle hunting take two seperate skill sets...
To call one sporting and one murder is asinine... but then again this is ***boat.

Not So Fast
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Bow hunting and rifle hunting take two seperate skill sets...
To call one sporting and one murder is asinine... but then again this is ***boat.
But then again its you commenting so what did i expect!! NSF

Sleeper CP
09-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I only hunt with a bow. I do carry a .357 at my side just in case I run into a pissed off momma bear!!
My buddy that sent me the picture of the ram in question used to live in Alaska, some years back (20) maybe he took the second largest Dahl sheep in the record books with a bow. It was the largest shot in over 50 yrs Gun or Bow. He spent 3 days tracking it and 2 days getting back to Civilization with it all by himself in the middle of no where.
I asked him if he carried a side arm he looked at me like I was nuts so I repeated " Do you carry your 45 or a 44 just in case a bear comes after you"
His reply was " Do you know why veteran hunting guides in Alaska file off the front sites on their side arms". My response was "No" he said " so it wont hurt to much when the bear takes it away from you a shoves it up your ass."
He told me hand guns and grissly (sp) bears are a bad mix. He said he would rather hit one with his compound bow and a broad-head than hit one with a 45 or 44. I still thank he's nuts but he has hunted and scouted on every Continent and get paid $$$$$$ to do it. I guess I'll have to defer to his knowledge.
Sleeper CP

lucky
09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
big horn sheep pictures ????? where :D or as i call them lovers with handles :D :D

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2007, 12:34 PM
But then again its you commenting so what did i expect!! NSF
Ditto...

Baja Big Dog
09-18-2007, 12:46 PM
WOW, s lot of opinions on the subject...gotta love HB!!
He was a great looking ram, but at 10 years old he more than likely had a low sperm count, and its better to leave the reproductions to the younger bulls!!!!:D

Wicky
09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
My buddy that sent me the picture of the ram in question used to live in Alaska, some years back (20) maybe he took the second largest Dahl sheep in the record books with a bow. It was the largest shot in over 50 yrs Gun or Bow. He spent 3 days tracking it and 2 days getting back to Civilization with it all by himself in the middle of no where.
I asked him if he carried a side arm he looked at me like I was nuts so I repeated " Do you carry your 45 or a 44 just in case a bear comes after you"
His reply was " Do you know why veteran hunting guides in Alaska file off the front sites on their side arms". My response was "No" he said " so it wont hurt to much when the bear takes it away from you a shoves it up your ass."
He told me hand guns and grissly (sp) bears are a bad mix. He said he would rather hit one with his compound bow and a broad-head than hit one with a 45 or 44. I still thank he's nuts but he has hunted and scouted on every Continent and get paid $$$$$$ to do it. I guess I'll have to defer to his knowledge.
Sleeper CP
I agree 1000% regarding the 45 and a grizzly. Now a super redhawk 44 with a hot load between the eyes will help deter the grizzly(hopefully). One of my employees has been a hunting/fishing guide up there for the last 10 years. He has a video where he pours a bucket of water on top of a huge grizzly's head. The video will win a vid contest when he gets around to sending it in.
Only black bears where I hunt. My .357 will do the job. I hope.

Wicky
09-18-2007, 02:15 PM
big horn sheep pictures ????? where :D or as i call them lovers with handles :D :D
Sheep are liars!!!:D
:D

Sleeper CP
09-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I agree 1000% regarding the 45 and a grizzly. Now a super redhawk 44 with a hot load between the eyes will help deter the grizzly(hopefully). One of my employees has been a hunting/fishing guide up there for the last 10 years. He has a video where he pours a bucket of water on top of a huge grizzly's head. The video will win a vid contest when he gets around to sending it in.
Only black bears where I hunt. My .357 will do the job. I hope.
Was he in a tree? How did he get that close to one?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

unleashed
09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
A good friend of mine is a world class hunter,scout & taxidermist. He gets paid big bucks to scout sheep for hunters all over the world. This is the Governors tag from Montana that he scouted last week. The guy that got the tag was a 22,000:1 shot.
I only know a little about the #'s ratings on these things ( I shoot, but I don't hunt and think that animals like this should be left alone for the most part, IE, I think they are more majestic in nature than hanging on a wall someplace) with that said the measurement are 194.42"x40x16 1/4 base I think.
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa150/Sleepercp/RobertEthingtonMt.supertag2007loers2.jpg?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Disturbing!:(
Deano
UnleashedMyspace (http://www.myspace.com/unleashedhardcore)
Unleashedwebpage (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

2Driver
09-18-2007, 04:03 PM
IMO, you sit out of harms way at you say 350 yards and shoot an animal, wow, what a sportsman. Do it with a bow&arrow and then you can call yourself a hunter other wise your a murderer!!!!!!. NSF
This is what your 3 egg omelet would have looked like until you killed them earlier this week. They are all God's creatures you murderer. :D :D
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39509&stc=1&d=1190160080

Not So Fast
09-18-2007, 04:43 PM
This is what your 3 egg omelet would have looked like until you killed them earlier this week. They are all God's creatures you murderer. :D :D
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39509&stc=1&d=1190160080
I have the seniors special so it's only two egg omelets thank you, gotta watch the gut you know;) NSF

Wicky
09-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Was he in a tree? How did he get that close to one?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
He was on his deck at his cabin. During Salmon season he fishes less than 50 yards from many grizzlies. Gnarly!!:eek: He also has names for all the grizzlies that hang out around his cabin. Grumpy was the one who got the water dumped over his head during a trash can meal.

Sleeper CP
09-19-2007, 07:19 AM
[QUOTE=Froggystyle;2794942]
Answer... a 300# mountain lion. I honestly thought I was dead. The realization of what I was looking at hit me like a freight train. Me, standing there with a flashlight and a CO2 powered Nel-Spot cattle marker.
TE]
That's a big "F"ing cat. Where and when(year)? Good thing it was well fed.
Some little crum cruncher could have been a snack.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Froggystyle
09-19-2007, 08:02 AM
That's a big "F"ing cat. Where and when(year)? Good thing it was well fed.
Some little crum cruncher could have been a snack.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
1984 in Sonoma

photo chick
09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Mow,
Wicky
WOW!! I never realized mountain lions had a dozen cubs at a time..you sure are edjumacated! :rolleyes:

Froggystyle
09-20-2007, 10:09 AM
WOW!! I never realized mountain lions had a dozen cubs at a time..you sure are edjumacated! :rolleyes:
I already cleared that one up... Just let me take care of your light-work, OK... :D

photo chick
09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
I already cleared that one up... Just let me take care of your light-work, OK... :D
Thanks so much! Sorry...once I read his post I could tell the direction of this thread and got out..
hey..I have some bills that need paying now, care to help out? :D

Riverkid
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I shot my first buck in Utah with a BOW last month. I think I'm hooked. :)
Yes, what ever we haven't ate so far is in the freezer... ;)

Froggystyle
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
If you yell "He's coming right for me" first, it's OK to shoot.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Southpark_ep103_1.jpg

Sleeper CP
09-20-2007, 11:25 AM
'Skunk, killed with an axe.'"
From the 409 forum...
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Sleeper CP
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Same thought crossed my mind ;) :idea:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Wicky
09-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I never took zoology in college. I should have done my research a little better and had a few less beers while posting. Besides, I invented the wickypedia. I can make it up as I go.

photo chick
09-20-2007, 03:36 PM
Sorry, I never took zoology in college. I should have done my research a little better and had a few less beers while posting. Besides, I invented the wickypedia. I can make it up as I go.
Dammit man, why not???? Pssst...neither did I!
No problem, I'm sure I've made at least one false post while under the influence of beer too!!:) I'll have to try that next time...hmmm...the PClopedia.....:D
Just so as you are edjumacated... they usually have 2 cubs and occasionally 3 or 4...Usually only 1 or 2 live though.

River Runin
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
This little cat run about 150 pounds! I took these in my front yard. He was hunting---They LUV these wacked Suthern City Folk, kids! & dogs--cuz they go,. Hi kitty kitty your so cute! Your gods creation and I believe goud won't allow you to eat me! I have Faith!....Wrong!
Mtn. Lions have 1-5 cubs per litter...
We have more Lions and Bears here than Every before, the attacks keep increasing!, Because these religious, Southern CITY Enviro, transplants have got the laws changed!!-(just a FACT)--Now, the same shit heads are screaming the loudest that, there are too many lions and bears in their yards!, and no one's doing anything to protect them and theirs! :cry: ---They be hunting, I have No sympathy for these transplants!...And it WILL!.. get worst!!
I stopped hunting Lion & Bear after they changed the laws a few years ago! Won't tell ya how i really feel! :D But them critters can eat, maim, and kill as much CITY meat as they can hold or get their claws into! :)
The Taste And Fear of Death! is something the Protected Will Never Know!! ---Until it's to late!
Another thing, you go into the woods around here without a gun, you'd be flat stupid!...I've been stalked by cats Several Times, And run into more Bear than I care to!! Thanks to Those Brain Washed, Bible Thumpin enviro Southern City pukes!! :mad: ;)
And they want to take our guns!!....FK That!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39645&stc=1&d=1190335165
LE CAN'T & WON'T PROTECT YOU!!--IT'S NOT THEIR JOB!!
ONLY YOU! CAN PROTECT YOU AND YOURS!! ....And throwin Bible verses, ink, or threat of phone call, (911)...isn't going to stop a Dangerous Animal---Two Or Four Legged!!!.From takin you and yours out..In the Micro seconds, that Shit happens!!!
Rant over! lol ;)
And before I get hit to hard!(I'm a transplant somewhere too!)....Got a Place in Ca, Az, & Nv also! :D
A little off track, (need to build post count) but will get back on! ;)

Wicky
09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Dammit man, why not???? Pssst...neither did I!
No problem, I'm sure I've made at least one false post while under the influence of beer too!!:) I'll have to try that next time...hmmm...the PClopedia.....:D
Just so as you are edjumacated... they usually have 2 cubs and occasionally 3 or 4...Usually only 1 or 2 live though.
Thanks for the lesson.:D
Not to get off track or anything but, have you seen the movie Duma?
If not, I highly recommend it. Excellent flick for the entire family. Especially if you like kitties! :D
Meow,
Wicky

River Runin
09-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I have NO Problem With Griz!! :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39647&stc=1&d=1190335843
500 Magnum!
Small Shit just makes um MAD!! ;)

HM
09-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Something wrong Mr. Ventura ?
Why no, This is a lovely room of death. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/PDVD_007.JPG
T.
Nonsense! Poopy Pants!!!

Wicky
09-20-2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39647&stc=1&d=1190335843
500 Magnum!
Dats some nice chit there!! Custom knives or not? Too bad we cant have armor piercing bullets. I'm sure that would help a little.

River Runin
09-20-2007, 05:06 PM
Dats some nice chit there!! Custom knives or not? Too bad we cant have armor piercing bullets. I'm sure that would help a little.
Thanks! Had the belt and shell holders custom made---The Knives are By Alaskan Knife Co.
http://www.knivesofalaska.com

Sleeper CP
09-20-2007, 05:14 PM
500 Magnum!
500 Mag: Nice:D
Yeah, the small shit just pisses them off ;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Wicky
09-20-2007, 05:23 PM
We had a lot of black bears around here lately. Check the link.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-sep2007-bear_rehab.f35383ab.html

Kilrtoy
09-20-2007, 05:26 PM
We had a lot of black bears around here lately. Check the link.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/stories/ktvbn-sep2007-bear_rehab.f35383ab.html
Being half blind and having the headaches like a woman, how did you ever manage to go hunting.
Or were you just packing, cooking and cleaning for the men.

photo chick
09-20-2007, 05:28 PM
This little cat run about 150 pounds! I took these in my front yard. He was hunting---They LUV these wacked Suthern City Folk, kids! & dogs--cuz they go,. Hi kitty kitty your so cute! Your gods creation and I believe goud won't allow you to eat me! I have Faith!....Wrong!
Mtn. Lions have 1-5 cubs per litter...
We have more Lions and Bears here than Every before, the attacks keep increasing!, Because these religious, Southern CITY Enviro, transplants have got the laws changed!!-(just a FACT)--Now, the same shit heads are screaming the loudest that, there are too many lions and bears in their yards!, and no one's doing anything to protect them and theirs! :cry: ---They be hunting, I have No sympathy for these transplants!...And it WILL!.. get worst!!
I stopped hunting Lion & Bear after they changed the laws a few years ago! Won't tell ya how i really feel! :D But them critters can eat, maim, and kill as much CITY meat as they can hold or get their claws into! :)
The Taste And Fear of Death! is something the Protected Will Never Know!! ---Until it's to late!
Another thing, you go into the woods around here without a gun, you'd be flat stupid!...I've been stalked by cats Several Times, And run into more Bear than I care to!! Thanks to Those Brain Washed, Bible Thumpin enviro Southern City pukes!! :mad: ;)
And they want to take our guns!!....FK That!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39645&stc=1&d=1190335165
LE CAN'T & WON'T PROTECT YOU!!--IT'S NOT THEIR JOB!!
ONLY YOU! CAN PROTECT YOU AND YOURS!! ....And throwin Bible verses, ink, or threat of phone call, (911)...isn't going to stop a Dangerous Animal---Two Or Four Legged!!!.From takin you and yours out..In the Micro seconds, that Shit happens!!!
Rant over! lol ;)
And before I get hit to hard!(I'm a transplant somewhere too!)....Got a Place in Ca, Az, & Nv also! :D
A little off track, (need to build post count) but will get back on! ;)
Auh ok......

River Runin
09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
that's my size 14 with the kitty track! :D

Wicky
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Being half blind and having the headaches like a woman, how did you ever manage to go hunting.
Or were you just packing, cooking and cleaning for the men.
I guess I just hated vegetables

photo chick
09-20-2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39658&stc=1&d=1190339286

YeLLowBoaT
09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39658&stc=1&d=1190339286
LOL
thats kind of like the qoute from the photographer that takes all the shots of grizzles... I don't need to run fast, just faster then my assistant.

Wicky
09-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Dats sum foony chit!!

photo chick
09-20-2007, 06:07 PM
LOL
thats kind of like the qoute from the photographer that takes all the shots of grizzles... I don't need to run fast, just faster then my assistant.
Exactly.....we always joke with the kids when they come to the park....we tell them we have free lion rides if they don't behave!!! :D

yopengo
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Exactly.....we always joke with the kids when they come to the park....we tell them we have free lion rides if they don't behave!!! :D
Or don't ride your Mtn bike alone in Whitting Ranch.....That's what happened to my buddy. :eek:

photo chick
09-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Or don't ride your Mtn bike alone in Whitting Ranch.....That's what happened to my buddy. :eek:
Eekk I'm sorry to hear that!! I've seen what they do to each other and their toys, I don't really wish that on anyone!