PDA

View Full Version : Weed wackers

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
I want to trim some shit in my alley. My neighbor has had a heart incident and he can't do it so I'm in the market for a weed whacker.
Are these cheap Chinese whackers any good?
Several of the department stores around here sell the same generic looking green engined wacker with a 25cc 2 stroke engine.
I'm hoping that among the suggestions to buy a diesel 4 wheel drive tractor and 60' cultivator, someone will offer some sensible advice appropriate for trimming a 10 foot long crack between the apron on the neighbor's garage and the alley asphalt. I could do it with hand sheers in 5 minutes but it looks like I'll be doing it regularly so I'd just as soon buy something that doesn't make me stoop over.
Anyone?

hoolign
09-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I want to trim some shit in my alley. My neighbor has had a heart incident and he can't do it so I'm in the market for a weed whacker.
Are these cheap Chinese whackers any good?
Several of the department stores around here sell the same generic looking green engined wacker with a 25cc 2 stroke engine.
I'm hoping that among the suggestions to buy a diesel 4 wheel drive tractor and 60' cultivator, someone will offer some sensible advice appropriate for trimming a 10 foot long crack between the apron on the neighbor's garage and the alley asphalt. I could do it with hand sheers in 5 minutes but it looks like I'll be doing it regularly so I'd just as soon buy something that doesn't make me stoop over.
Anyone?
Round up!

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 11:29 PM
That's a quality idea but I think it needs swathing first.

hoolign
09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Seriously though. Those cheap ones are "cheap" for a reason. 99 bucks don't last very long . Shitty spools on most of them. Spend a few hun on a good Stihl with upright handles and twist throttle, more comfortable to operate! Buy something heavy duty that will last you! Can always huck a bush blade on those unlike those wimpy 99 dollar ones.

ThongMagnet
09-17-2007, 11:33 PM
You could always use those old drop cloths, and place a few of those spare bricks on top to hold it down. No sun no weeds:idea:
Or my second thought, although somewhat dangerous to the less experience, is to spray a lite mist gasoline over the weeds and shoot a bottle rocket into the mess. :idea:

Rexone
09-17-2007, 11:37 PM
I have an electric Ryobi, works well and is several years old. More than adequate for small jobs.
My next one will be V6 powered thought I think.

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Spend a few hun on a good Stihl with upright handles and twist throttle....
http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
Thanks. I didn't realize Stihl made them. My chain saw is a Stihl. I'll check out the place I got it for a trimmer.
Thanks, Festus.

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I have an electric Ryobi, works well and is several years old.
hmmm.... another decent brand. Thanks. I can easily get a cord to this small thicket. Electric might be a smart and quieter way to go.

hoolign
09-17-2007, 11:44 PM
http://www.***boat.com/ubb/graemlins/idea_2.gif
Thanks. I didn't realize Stihl made them. My chain saw is a Stihl. I'll check out the place I got it for a trimmer.
Thanks, Festus.
Trim Away (http://www.stihl.ca/products_trimBrushClear_brushcutters.asp)

hoolign
09-17-2007, 11:45 PM
hmmm.... another decent brand. Thanks. I can easily get a cord to this small thicket. Electric might be a smart and quieter way to go.
Electric??? are you freakin kidding me?? Might as well swing by Walmart and buy yourself a dress to wear while you use it then! Electric:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
09-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Electric??? are you freakin kidding me??
Yeah, I'd be embarrassed to use it but at least I wouldn't have to mix 2 stroke gas. We all know how gay that is.

Rexone
09-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Electric??? are you freakin kidding me?? Might as well swing by Walmart and buy yourself a dress to wear while you use it then! Electric:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I actually wear a little yellow dress and matching bonnet when I trim my grass Hooli.
btw fock off.

hoolign
09-18-2007, 01:59 AM
I actually wear a little yellow dress and matching bonnet when I trim my grass Hooli.
btw fock off.
Poor gophers, not only do they get the shame of being hacked by a electric whacker..last thing their little eyes see before they fade to black is a set of dreadlocked man apples hanging under a yellow dress :rolleyes:

Jbb
09-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Pour gasoline on the weeds...alot of gasoline.......so much that the flame is tall enough to light your smoke.......Light the bitch up.....light your
smoke....sit back and enjoy a Chesterfield while watching the weed problem go up in smoke!

SummerBreeze
09-18-2007, 03:52 AM
Sounds like your whack job is not very much.
I have owned the green cheap ones before and have worked for many years. I am sure the Stilh ones are great but all of them wear out with that motor going at 12k RPM.
Even the Stilh will wear out. Can you see yourself doing a ring job on that?
I have wacked enough bush to go through 3 of the cheap ones on 20 years

sorry dog
09-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Dude!
Your in Canada...you're not supposed to cut it down...your supposed to smoke it!

callbob4homes
09-18-2007, 04:54 AM
I have wacked enough bush to go through 3 of the cheap ones on 20 years
sig material for sure here:eek: :eek: :D

THOR
09-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Tommy Boy,
I have had my Black & Decker Grasshog for several years now and it has been great. Its electric and comes with replacement wire spools that you snap in. I personally like that instead of spooling on the nylon wire like a fishing reel. Just my opinion though.

lalhc
09-18-2007, 06:08 AM
I have had my Craftsman weedwacker for over 8 years and it runs great. I use it for my yard as well as using it to clear a quarter acre lot I own behind my house. I think I paid $100 bucks for the thing.

H2O
09-18-2007, 06:12 AM
I was looking for a 4 stroke trimmer and bought a Ryobi from Home Depot.
JUNK! - Fell apart in my hands. Hard to start, spool didn't work ,etc.
I bought a 35 cc Honda 4-Stroke trimmer and it rules! Proffessional quality, excellent spool, starts in one pull, etc.
They also have a 25cc for smaller jobs -
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=hht25sltat
Happy Wacking!

Mr. Crusader 83
09-18-2007, 06:26 AM
Im a authorized Stihl Dealer. I have the FS45 for $154.

Cheap Thrills
09-18-2007, 06:37 AM
Tom I've had a cheap red Homelite trimmer for several years think I paid $80.00 for it. The deal with making them last is consistent fuel mixture and carb adjustment. Never lean out the high side of the mix so much it screams like a wounded banshee. A little gurggle on the top end is perfect. If you don't like mixing 2-Stroke fuel they also make 4 Stroke trimmers but they aren't cheap.
Oh , and watch out for dog shit when you're swinging the slinger around :2purples:
Good Luck
T.

Mr. Crusader 83
09-18-2007, 06:47 AM
Also all Stihl Power Equipment comes with a 2 year warranty. I have the 4 Mix units which is considered a 4 stroke other then you still have to mix the fuel. But it has over head valves for $314.

River Runin
09-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Another vote for Stihl!---best I've had so far!

hkunz
09-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Propane or acetalyne torch. Assuming you are just talking about an "island" of weeds, not next to your neighbor's garage or anything, just use a small propane torch to burn them off, kills the seeds and all. Then hit with roundup at the first sign of green next time. Clean, easy, no bending or heavy lifiting, and actually quite safe (assuming you don't try to light your stogie with it):devil: . They rent propane weed burners at the farm supply places here.

572Daytona
09-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Whatever you end up with, don't forget the ever fashionable whacker-chaps to complete your ensemble :D
http://www.wackerchaps.com/
http://www.wackerchaps.com/images/gallery_photo7.gif

Rexone
09-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Problem ends here
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39459&stc=1&d=1190132000

Devilman
09-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Im a authorized Stihl Dealer. I have the FS45 for $154.
My wife used to use one of them Wal-Mart brand Weedeater Featherlites. Bought it about 4 years ago & it worked pretty good. Left it at my father-in-laws place cause its easy for him to use, chemo takes the strength right out of him.
I just bought the FS55 Stihl a few weeks ago to replace the old Weedeater. Its a bad mofo. Love it. :crossx:

HM
09-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Is your Glastron on the fritz again? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: