PDA

View Full Version : What is life like in Kingman AZ?

socalmoney
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Looking to hear from people who live and work in Kingman AZ. Do you love it, hate it. Opinions on schools, services, work and entertainment.
$

topless
09-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Looking to hear from people who live and work in Kingman AZ. Do you love it, hate it. Opinions on schools, services, work and entertainment.
$You into meth or something?:confused: :idea:

LhcBrad
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
Lurk around this website you might find something there
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizona/ also socal check your PM

Sleek-Jet
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a pretty high tollerence for people, and the fact that some people chose to live their lives in a different way than I do mine.
So when someone starts kicking around a town or certain area, I just chuckle... different strokes and all that. Heck, I live in Tucson, and there are times I don't have a whole lot of room to talk...
But Kingman just flat gives me the creeps. I don't even like to stop there for gas or to as much as take a piss on the way to or from Vegas. It has the crummy desert/interstate town feel to it. Like everyone ended up there because that's where their car broke down while they were trying to get to LA.
So, there's an opinion from someone who neither lives or works in Kingman.

LhcBrad
09-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Here you go
http://www.city-data.com/forum/arizona/125512-kingman-az-really-horrible.html

rocket98
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I built the Alzheimer clinic there a couple years ago. The only thing good about it is your close to the river...... that's it.

Pro Max
09-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Stupid, dumb, that about sums it up

DeltaSigBoater
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Buying rental property or are you looking to move?

Not So Fast
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
If you like wind then thats the place to buy. While haviing my Toyota worked on at the dealership I asked the service guy if the wind always blew like it was that day to which he replied "not always, just about 300 days out of the year" :eek: NSF

OutCole'd
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
My folks used to have a mobile there. I always thought it was a cool little town.

socalmoney
09-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Buying rental property or are you looking to move?
Might be interested in a rental but also looking for a place to move to in my later years. I like the location. Close to River, Mead, Vegas, Grand Canyon and Powell (well closer to Powell than I am now at least). Seems like a great location but I have never been there to check it out. Looks like there is some growth there and might be some more with the White Flight that is taking place in California.

spectras only
09-18-2007, 12:36 PM
we had a member here [ River Kitty ] who moved there and haven't heard from since :idea: :sqeyes:

socalmoney
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
we had a member here [ River Kitty ] who moved there and haven't heard from since :idea: :sqeyes:
Well if they don't have Internet, than forget it.

Tom Brown
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
It's like a low income suburb of Tijuana but with more crime.

pw_Tony
09-18-2007, 12:45 PM
I am in Kingman about twice a week for work, and in Havasu twice a week, and I live in Bullhead;)
Havasu's the nicest I believe, but Havasu AND Bullhead real estate is ridiculous right now. Bullhead has a lot of tweekers and has some ghetto spots, Kingman doesn't have as many.
Kingman is also usually about 10 degrees cooler than Havasu and Bullhead, but it also snows there during the winter sometime. You're an hour drive from the river, and a 1 1/2(?) from Lake Mead. Real estate in Kingman is at least decent. You're also 2 hours from Flagstaff, and an hour from Havasu. Up in the Haulaipi(spelling?) Hills theres some cool trails and nice houses to get away from the town.
Schools seem to be good from what I can see, and there's gold courses and all the stores like anywhere else.
I would say it's nothing special, just another city off the freeway

DILLIGAF
09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
I am in Kingman about twice a week for work, and in Havasu twice a week, and I live in Bullhead;)
Havasu's the nicest I believe, but Havasu AND Bullhead real estate is ridiculous right now. Bullhead has a lot of tweekers and has some ghetto spots, Kingman doesn't have as many.
Kingman is also usually about 10 degrees cooler than Havasu and Bullhead, but it also snows there during the winter sometime. You're an hour drive from the river, and a 1 1/2(?) from Lake Mead. Real estate in Kingman is at least decent. You're also 2 hours from Flagstaff, and an hour from Havasu. Up in the Haulaipi(spelling?) Hills theres some cool trails and nice houses to get away from the town.
Schools seem to be good from what I can see, and there's gold courses and all the stores like anywhere else.
I would say it's nothing special, just another city off the freeway
That is a good wrapup on Kingman.
I boght a new house there about 5 years ago. Rented it out and sold for a very nice % gain profit. Took that money and bought a condo in Corona that I rent out.
Kingman worked for me but I don't think I would ever want to live there unless I had one of the ranch properties up in the mountains.

yopengo
09-18-2007, 12:53 PM
and there's gold courses
Do they have 9kt or 18kt courses? :D

pw_Tony
09-18-2007, 01:11 PM
If I wanted to gain some money I would move to Golden Valley, just west of Kingman, about 10 miles. It's got ALOT of land for cheap. Mostly dirt roads though, but you can get a phat house with good amount of land for cheap

Racey
09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Kingman is about the last place i'd ever think of moving to, It's right up there with Baker in my book. There is nothing to do there, i guess you are only an hour or so from havasu, but why not just live in havasu if that's the case....

pw_Tony
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Kingman is about the last place i'd ever think of moving to, It's right up there with Baker in my book. There is nothing to do there, i guess you are only an hour or so from havasu, but why not just live in havasu if that's the case....
Cause it's ALOT cheaper in Kingman

skyskier
09-18-2007, 01:17 PM
$
We spent a couple day's this past March checking out Kingman for the same reasons.Also, figured it would be close enough to keep the place in Parker and be all the much closer to Mead & Powell. I talked to an oldtimer there and asked him about the windy conditions. He explained to me that if not for the wind there would be no Kingman:confused: Went on to say that when the 1st settlers arrived in the area somebody suggested this would be a good place to wait for the winds to quit blowing. Well, seems they KEPT waiting, the wind NEVER quit and the layover place turned into a city. I researched the area online for a couple month's, read all about the growth, new stores coming in, new housing developments etc. etc. Both of my daughters work for Rancon, I'm about 7 miles NE of you for the past 32 years. The ONLY way I'm getting out is to go someplace close enough for Mrs. skyskier to keep in close touch with the 4 grandkids:rolleyes: I printed off ALL the glowing reports I read on the area , all the real estate potential etc, showed them to my girls and they both said, "go find us a place and we'll move:) Then we went an saw:( BIG DISSAPOINTMENT, but then again, this is just my 2cents worth. Kinda reminded of Elsinore 30 years ago, just spread out more, no lake and, did I mention the wind?

Danhercules
09-18-2007, 01:28 PM
If I wanted to gain some money I would move to Golden Valley, just west of Kingman, about 10 miles. It's got ALOT of land for cheap. Mostly dirt roads though, but you can get a phat house with good amount of land for cheap
I got property out there. Cant wait for the bypass bridge to be done along with the new highway.

socalmoney
09-18-2007, 02:00 PM
I talked to an oldtimer there and asked him about the windy conditions. He explained to me that if not for the wind there would be no Kingman:confused: Went on to say that when the 1st settlers arrived in the area somebody suggested this would be a good place to wait for the winds to quit blowing. Well, seems they KEPT waiting, the wind NEVER quit and the layover place turned into a city. I
Are they using the wind at all.
http://www.talkingtourism.co.za/images/600-wind.jpg

DILLIGAF
09-18-2007, 02:08 PM
http://www.talkingtourism.co.za/images/600-wind.jpg
Never seen them in Kingman or Golden Valley.....

skyskier
09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=socalmoney;2795445]Are they using the wind at all.
Thus far, only one project is under way: the Steel Farm Project, due to be up and running north of Kingman within a year. The plant, with 15 wind turbines that will stand 350 feet high with 90-foot blades, will put out 15 megawatts of power. All of it has been purchased by Arizona Public Service.
Several other projects are being studied, many of them along Interstate 40 east of Flagstaff and on the Navajo and Hopi reservations. I didn't see any, but then again it was soooooooooooo windy the day we were there , visibility was about 15 feet:jawdrop:

HM
09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Never seen them in Kingman or Golden Valley.....
That is because people in Kingman or Golden Valley are not interested in tax shelters for money they don't have. :D
BTW - I saw in Search Light this weekend a brand new tract of homes going in. Anyone know the prices? I would choose Search Light over Kingman (if I was forced to choose ;)). Very close to Mohave (down hill skate board ride if you like), Vegas, Mead and etc. And, you got a local police car that is left with a dummy in it for all sorts of pranks. :devil: :D

meaniam
09-19-2007, 09:49 AM
kingman in the past 10 years have improved alot. my grandparents were the first to move out there in 92, when the IRS and bullshit workers comp claims forced them to shut the shop down. i hated kingman. argued with my grandpa what a pie hole it was. at the time i was right. but wrong to. if i would have bought in 1998 it would have been dirt cheap. could have turned a nice profit.
river is 30 mins away. havasu is 1 hour. vegas 1 hour 20 mins. the new bypass is a big deal there. and most likely benefit the area economy. a couple of big developers bought thousand of acres of land. which will turn into a positive. the temperature difference is great between bullhead havasu and kingman. the summer storms are awesome. plenty of decent jobs.
the Wallipie mountains <sp?> is cool. lots of good off roading and some really nice homes driving out there.
also nice house around the 2 golf courses.
an area know as bird land sucks. it is the worse of the town off route 66 a bunch of trailers. i never hear of anything bad there. its just ran down.
everything is cheaper in kingman vs california. and i rather live in kingman then around Phoenix area.

DILLIGAF
09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
That is because people in Kingman or Golden Valley are not interested in tax shelters for money they don't have. :D
BTW - I saw in Search Light this weekend a brand new tract of homes going in. Anyone know the prices? I would choose Search Light over Kingman (if I was forced to choose ;)). Very close to Mohave (down hill skate board ride if you like), Vegas, Mead and etc. And, you got a local police car that is left with a dummy in it for all sorts of pranks. :devil: :D
Very true on the money aspect of it....
Search Light? I didn't think they had any land available to build on. If so, that would be a good place to buy something if you wanted to be close to the water. The negative would be you will end up with very little access to shopping, etc. However, if they have developement going on maybe some stores will be going in also. The lake north of Search Light is awesome.

HM
09-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Very true on the money aspect of it....
Search Light? I didn't think they had any land available to build on. If so, that would be a good place to buy something if you wanted to be close to the water. The negative would be you will end up with very little access to shopping, etc. However, if they have developement going on maybe some stores will be going in also. The lake north of Search Light is awesome.
The north half of Mohave is pretty much the only place I take my family these days outside of Canyon Lake. I remember reading Search Light had some issues with land rights. Someone owned the mineral rights in that area and had the ability to kick out the people who owned the surface land....it was some strange law in Nevada that gave the mineral owner rights that trumped the land owner because Nevada depended on mining for tax revenue or something. It was in court quite a few years ago.
But, when you take Nipton Rd. east to Cottonwood, about a 1/2 mile down is about 10 houses in a development called Cottonwood Lake Homes. Sign said they were releasing Phase 2, but had no pricing ranges. There is not much there, but they are widening 95 right now and looks like some other development is going on.
I just found the website: www.cottonwoodlakehomes.com
They want $300K+ for 1789 sq ft. So...obviously they are going for the 2nd home crowd.

DILLIGAF
09-19-2007, 10:24 AM
The north half of Mohave is pretty much the only place I take my family these days outside of Canyon Lake. I remember reading Search Light had some issues with land rights. Someone owned the mineral rights in that area and had the ability to kick out the people who owned the surface land....it was some strange law in Nevada that gave the mineral owner rights that trumped the land owner because Nevada depended on mining for tax revenue or something. It was in court quite a few years ago.
But, when you take Nipton Rd. east to Cottonwood, about a 1/2 mile down is about 10 houses in a development called Cottonwood Lake Homes. Sign said they were releasing Phase 2, but had no pricing ranges. There is not much there, but they are widening 95 right now and looks like some other development is going on.
I just found the website: www.cottonwoodlakehomes.com
They want $300K+ for 1789 sq ft. So...obviously they are going for the 2nd home crowd.
I am going to look into that when I get a chance.

Jbb
09-19-2007, 10:30 AM
This is just a hunch, but I dont think RiverKitty likes Kingman much anymore...

HM
09-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I am going to look into that when I get a chance.
Some of the lots are really small....5,400 sq ft. Driving by them they were right on top of each other - no RV access for a lot of them. If you look at the site map, it looks like there are some nice lots with one that is 10,000+ sq ft.
The biggest bummer is that race fuel is no longer available at the pump in Seachlight!

Her454
09-19-2007, 10:40 AM
This is just a hunch, but I dont think RiverKitty likes Kingman much anymore...
Speaking of.................. has anyone heard from her since her ordeal? :(

HM
09-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Speaking of.................. has anyone heard from her since her ordeal? :(
I have seen a few people post about RiverKitty (OGShocker?) who said she was doing o.k. I thought she had said something about Denver?

Her454
09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I have seen a few people post about RiverKitty (OGShocker?) who said she was doing o.k. I thought she had said something about Denver?
thanks!

Classic Daycruiser
09-19-2007, 12:31 PM
What do you want to do in your later years? Good Healthcare should be a priority.
I would look at Phoenix area. The Down side is June-August Heat, but if your retired, you can leave for a couple months in the motorhome (with boat in tow).:idea: