PDA

View Full Version : MarryOurDaughter.com

fat rat
09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Sept. 14, 2007 - Like most girls her age, 15-year-old Ashlee R. is into sports, clothes and current pop music. She's a typical Midwestern teen—except that she’s looking for a husband. “She tells us none of the boys her own age are interesting to her because they ‘are still little kids’ and she is looking for an adult to start a life with,” say her parents, who’ve enrolled her on a new Web site—MarryOurDaughter.com—where they’ve set the “price” for her hand as $37,500.
Makayla S. is also 15, a traditional girl, a homebody who “cooks like a chef and decorates like Martha Stewart.” She has a cheerful, upbeat outlook on life and spends a lot of time laughing. Her bride price? $24,995.
Before you get too upset, stop: MarryOurDaughter.com isn't real—it’s a hoax. Nonetheless, the site—which claims to be a matching service for followers of "the Biblical tradition" of arranged marriages—has managed to fool a whole lot of people. With profiles of young girls, outrageous testimonials and solicitations for proposals (as well as a sign-up page to have your own daughter listed) MarryOurDaughter.com has received 60 million hits since it launched last week—and, believe it or not, on top of angry letters, thousands of proposals.
It's impossible to know how many of the proposals are real. But sifting through the Gmail account where they've all been directed, it's hard to believe there aren't at least a couple hopeful grooms—or parents of hopeful brides. The site’s creator, John Ordover, a viral-marketing consultant based in Brooklyn, N.Y., gave NEWSWEEK access to that account, and we sorted through hundreds of e-mails—some outraged, others, well, creepy. “Darling Makayla, Seeing your bright smile among the other girls on this site was a joy among joys—to see someone so obviously full of life and laughter made me keep coming back to your profile,” writes one suitor, who identifies himself as Mark B. “I want to provide you with everything you need, I want to have a partnership that will last a lifetime. You love to laugh, and I would love to make you laugh for the rest of our lives ... Please consider me as a husband.”

YeLLowBoaT
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
i started a thread about this a few days ago... thankfully it turned out to be fake.

Racey
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't think it's fake, they had the guy that runs the website on the Bubba the Love Sponge Show on Sirius last week, and it is a full blown legit deal, he said they haven't made a sale yet but there have been many offers for the daughters, sick sick stuff. :yuk:

Havasu1986
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think it's fake, they had the guy that runs the website on the Bubba the Love Sponge Show on Sirius last week, and it is a full blown legit deal, he said they haven't made a sale yet but there have been many offers for the daughters, sick sick stuff. :yuk:
MSN.com has it on there front page as being fake. :confused:

ratso
09-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Sept. 14, 2007 - Like most girls her age, 15-year-old Ashlee R. is into sports, clothes and current pop music. She's a typical Midwestern teen—except that she’s looking for a husband. “She tells us none of the boys her own age are interesting to her because they ‘are still little kids’ and she is looking for an adult to start a life with,” say her parents, who’ve enrolled her on a new Web site—MarryOurDaughter.com—where they’ve set the “price” for her hand as $37,500.
Makayla S. is also 15, a traditional girl, a homebody who “cooks like a chef and decorates like Martha Stewart.” She has a cheerful, upbeat outlook on life and spends a lot of time laughing. Her bride price? $24,995.
Before you get too upset, stop: MarryOurDaughter.com isn't real—it’s a hoax. Nonetheless, the site—which claims to be a matching service for followers of "the Biblical tradition" of arranged marriages—has managed to fool a whole lot of people. With profiles of young girls, outrageous testimonials and solicitations for proposals (as well as a sign-up page to have your own daughter listed) MarryOurDaughter.com has received 60 million hits since it launched last week—and, believe it or not, on top of angry letters, thousands of proposals.
It's impossible to know how many of the proposals are real. But sifting through the Gmail account where they've all been directed, it's hard to believe there aren't at least a couple hopeful grooms—or parents of hopeful brides. The site’s creator, John Ordover, a viral-marketing consultant based in Brooklyn, N.Y., gave NEWSWEEK access to that account, and we sorted through hundreds of e-mails—some outraged, others, well, creepy. “Darling Makayla, Seeing your bright smile among the other girls on this site was a joy among joys—to see someone so obviously full of life and laughter made me keep coming back to your profile,” writes one suitor, who identifies himself as Mark B. “I want to provide you with everything you need, I want to have a partnership that will last a lifetime. You love to laugh, and I would love to make you laugh for the rest of our lives ... Please consider me as a husband.”
:jawdrop: :idea: :D

Ziggy
09-18-2007, 01:29 PM
:jawdrop: :idea: :DFor you that'd be like Marry your granddaughter dot com... :eek: :D:D

HM
09-18-2007, 02:18 PM
I am thinking of starting a web site called www.DateMyDaughtersAndDieAHorribleDeath.com :D

ratso
09-18-2007, 02:43 PM
For you that'd be like Marry your granddaughter dot com... :eek: :D:D
I'm game...:D
Rent would be much better though... get tired of em... just stop paying.:idea:

fat rat
09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
i started a thread about this a few days ago... thankfully it turned out to be fake.
I must have missed it.............sorry for the duplicate post.:D

Nicked prop
09-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm game...:D
Rent would be much better though... get tired of em... just stop paying.:idea:
Rent vs. buy is always a tough decision. In this case the asset is likely to appreciate for a few years and then decline precipitously over time. Smart money is on an interest-only purchase and wait for a gov't bail out when the rate adjusts. Whoops, wrong thread.

hoolign
09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I wonder if you can put a deposit down for when they turn 18? Are there discounts for bulk purchases? What about warrenty? Do they come with certification and inspection documents?? If I'm spending 30K .she better have 0 miles on her! :idea:

hoolign
09-18-2007, 08:57 PM
How come pigmy, she have the desease or sumptin?:confused:
Rio
Pigmy..... LOL

Racey
09-18-2007, 09:02 PM
I does appear to be fake after reading the news article, I'm glad to hear this is the case.

hoolign
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I does appear to be fake after reading the news article, I'm glad to hear this is the case.
I'm out 57K :mad: :mad: