PDA

View Full Version : Redbull Air Races in San Diego

4day!!
09-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Anyone going to this? This looks pretty frickin' insane. You can even watch from your boat in certain areas. Thinkin' of taking the boy down there on Sat.
http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Old Man Havasu
09-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Now that I looked at the link I'm considering taking my son down. Those guys are nuts!
I bet traffic off the Embarcadero will be ROUGH at the end of the day. :mad:

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I will be there. Friday night we will be going to the "Red Friday" pre party on the USS Midway and watch the events from the Race Club. Best viewing area and free food and drink. :D
Should be a fun weekend.

Old Man Havasu
09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I see race club tickets are 190.00. I can't see anything online that says whats included. Drink?:D:

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 05:14 PM
I see race club tickets are 190.00. I can't see anything online that says whats included. Drink?:D:
Red Bull hooked me up. :D
This is some of the info they sent me.
RED BULL AIR RACE HOSPITALITY –THE RACE CLUB
The “Race Club” located at North Embarcadero Park, separate from the general admission ticketed area. At the Race club you will enjoy the best views of the race and following the live transmission and commentary on the giant video screens which capture stunning images from the onboard cameras. Also the Race club will make you feel like part of the action! Race Club passes include the following:
 One of the best views of the Red Bull Air Race
 Video walls with plasma screens and sound to follow the race
 Onsite entertainment
 Complimentary food and beverage

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 05:16 PM
https://redbullairrace.showare.ch/Upload/Image/Event/Red%20Friday%20Party%20Flyer%201.JPG
https://redbullairrace.showare.ch/Upload/Image/Event/Red%20Friday%20Party%20Flyer%202.JPG

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Click on the more button under the Race Club in the ticket purchase area.

Old Man Havasu
09-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Red Bull hooked me up. :D
This is some of the info they sent me.
RED BULL AIR RACE HOSPITALITY –THE RACE CLUB
The “Race Club” located at North Embarcadero Park, separate from the general admission ticketed area. At the Race club you will enjoy the best views of the race and following the live transmission and commentary on the giant video screens which capture stunning images from the onboard cameras. Also the Race club will make you feel like part of the action! Race Club passes include the following:
 One of the best views of the Red Bull Air Race
 Video walls with plasma screens and sound to follow the race
 Onsite entertainment
 Complimentary food and beverage
Nice! Thanks, let me see if my wife will let me spend the money....:D:

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Here is some race video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJG_YEnaWBs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVBN0W3fpA

AirtimeLavey
09-18-2007, 05:48 PM
We're going Sat. and have ticks for the GA on The North E side. Frickin advertising guys always have the best hookups.....:D Should be very cool from what I've seen on TV. Looking forward to it. :D :D

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 05:51 PM
We're going Sat. and have ticks for the GA on The North E side. Frickin advertising guys always have the best hookups.....:D Should be very cool from what I've seen on TV. Looking forward to it. :D :D
:D
I just drink a lot of Red Bull. ;)

AirtimeLavey
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
I just drink a lot of Red Bull. ;)
Yep. Goes great w/Vodka...:D :D (but only if you don't need to sleep for a couple days!;) )

Bense468
09-18-2007, 06:02 PM
I'm headed down there sat morn.

NdaWind
09-18-2007, 06:15 PM
We are thinking of heading down with the boat on Sat morning. Where would we launch from?

Infomaniac
09-18-2007, 06:20 PM
my son wants to go pretty bad. We did'nt plan far enough ahead.
We could fly down if we had the right hook up ????
Matt, Froggy ??????

Phat Matt
09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
my son wants to go pretty bad. We did'nt plan far enough ahead.
We could fly down if we had the right hook up ????
Matt, Froggy ??????
I don't have any extra tickets. Actually, I don't even physically have tickets. Sorry Ron. Red Bull set us up a couple of months ago and they were pretty tight with their list.

Infomaniac
09-18-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks man. it was way short notice.
I don't have any extra tickets. Actually, I don't even physically have tickets. Sorry Ron. Red Bull set us up a couple of months ago and they were pretty tight with their list.

CBadDad
09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
I'll be workin' it.
They're expecting 35,000 people each day, so you better get there early.
The weather is suppose to cool off with a slight chance of rain, so I am not sure what that will do for the show or the crowds.
Looks cool though.

SoCalSouthpaw
09-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Ive never even heard of this prior to a month ago. I cant wait. Gonna be pretty exciting!! Taking the boat down there - traffic on a normal weekend dowtown sux. I can only imagine what its gonna be like around the event.

maxwedge
09-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Some of the worlds best aerobatic pilots flying in this. I would love to see it in person sometime.

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Ive never even heard of this prior to a month ago. I cant wait. Gonna be pretty exciting!! Taking the boat down there - traffic on a normal weekend dowtown sux. I can only imagine what its gonna be like around the event.
There is also a little thing called the Street Scene going on this weekend. :eek:

Bense468
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Yeah I think we are going to have to bail town early to get down there. Its going to be insane with the street scene thing going on too.

SoCalSouthpaw
09-20-2007, 03:03 PM
There is also a little thing called the Street Scene going on this weekend. :eek:
Yeah but its at Coors in Chula - which is lame. Might as well call it a Parking Lot Scene.

DMOORE
09-20-2007, 03:04 PM
We are thinking of heading down with the boat on Sat morning. Where would we launch from?
Best place to launch would Shelter Island launch ramp. You could launch in Mission Bay and transit around, adout 40min ride.
Darrell.

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I hope this September storm that happens once every 20 years doesn't mess things up.
Special Weather Statement
ORANGE COUNTY COASTAL AREAS-SAN DIEGO COUNTY COASTAL AREAS- SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE- SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY MOUNTAINS- RIVERSIDE COUNTY MOUNTAINS- SANTA ANA MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS- SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS-APPLE AND LUCERNE VALLEYS- COACHELLA VALLEY-SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS- 430 AM PDT THU SEP 20 2007
...STRONG SEPTEMBER STORM FRIDAY AND SATURDAY...
A STRONG PACIFIC STORM FOR SEPTEMBER IS EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LATE FRIDAY AND EARLY SATURDAY.
THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE WEATHER RARELY SEEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA IN SEPTEMBER. A DEEP MARINE LAYER WILL CAUSE SCATTERED LIGHT RAIN SHOWERS OR DRIZZLE TODAY. THE HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED FRIDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY MORNING WITH THE PASSAGE OF A STRONG COLD FRONT.
RAINFALL TOTALS WILL BE QUITE VARIABLE DUE TO THE SHOWERY NATURE OF THE RAIN. PRELIMINARY RAINFALL ESTIMATES ARE FOR ABOUT A QUARTER TO HALF AN INCH NEAR THE COAST TO ONE INCH ON THE COASTAL MOUNTAIN SLOPES AND FOOTHILLS WITH UP TO A QUARTER INCH IN THE DESERTS. THERE COULD BE LOCAL LARGER AMOUNTS OF ONE AND A HALF TO TWO AND A HALF INCHES ON THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST FACING MOUNTAIN SLOPES OR IN CONVECTION. ANY SIGNIFICANT RAIN WILL BRING THE THREAT OF FLASH FLOODING AND DEBRIS FLOW IN AND BELOW RECENT BURN AREAS.
THE COLD AIR ALOFT WILL CAUSE ENOUGH INSTABILITY FOR A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS. THE SNOW LEVEL WILL LOWER TO NEAR 6000 FEET LATE FRIDAY NIGHT. LOCAL STRONG GUSTY WINDS WILL PRECEDE AND ACCOMPANY THIS STORM... MAINLY IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS. THERE IS ALSO THE POSSIBILITY OF WATERSPOUTS OVER THE COASTAL WATERS AND FUNNEL CLOUDS OR EVEN A TORNADO.
SHOWERS WILL TAPER OFF SATURDAY AFTERNOON AS THE STORM MOVES NORTHEAST. PEOPLE SHOULD STAY INFORMED ON THIS DEVELOPING STORM.

Bense468
09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
How do you get to these air races? I guess I could look it up

DMOORE
09-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I keep watching the weather channel, wondering if I should launch on Saturday.
Darrell.

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 03:17 PM
How do you get to these air races? I guess I could look it up
www.redbullairrace.com

Screaming Pete
09-20-2007, 03:21 PM
i went down today at lunch and it looks like a great setup. best viewing is going to be behind the convention center but both points are pay areas. maybe some viewing from the fish market or along the walk at the and over by joes crab shack. there was RED BULL stuff all over the place but my fav was the 6 blondes giving away red bull on bikes and a truck behind them packed to the gills with the nector of the gods

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 03:22 PM
there was RED BULL stuff all over the place but my fav was the 6 blondes giving away red bull on bikes and a truck behind them packed to the gills with the nector of the gods
I have a feeling my heart is going to be pounding all weekend. :jawdrop:

SoCalSouthpaw
09-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Can you believe that sh*t? :mad: Hasnt rained on a sat for as long as I can almost remember (memory challenged). I thought it maybe passed last night - cuz it did rain a bit and this morning it was scattered clouds... To top it all off - today at lunch while dining at the ultra fine establishment of Super China Buffet...I got my fortune cookie - WITH NO FRIGGEN FORTUNE!!!!! WTF???

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
To top it all off - today at lunch while dining at the ultra fine establishment of Super China Buffet...I got my fortune cookie - WITH NO FRIGGEN FORTUNE!!!!! WTF???
LOL. Nice place. :D

Screaming Pete
09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I have a feeling my heart is going to be pounding all weekend. :jawdrop:
mine too i hate when the Vodka wears off and its 3 in the morning and it's only tuesday..............:eek:

ravencrew
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Someone bring a video camera that's going and post it so the ones that can't make it can watch it here!!! I would love to go to those races!!! What are those cones made of? It looks like some sort of paper? Please post if someone takes a video camera!! PLEASE!!!!!!:D

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Someone bring a video camera that's going and post it so the ones that can't make it can watch it here!!! I would love to go to those races!!! What are those cones made of? It looks like some sort of paper? Please post if someone takes a video camera!! PLEASE!!!!!!:D
They are made of a light spinnaker material that rips (or explodes because of the air pressure) if they touch it. They are made in 6 sections attached by velcro so they can replace the torn section quickly.

4day!!
09-20-2007, 05:32 PM
I think they will start airing on sunday evening on foxsports or something. it's on the website.

4day!!
09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
They are made of a light spinnaker material that rips (or explodes because of the air pressure) if they touch it. They are made in 6 sections attached by velcro so they can replace the torn section quickly.
someone have a little too much time on there hands?:D Getting all jeapoardy, cliff claven on us....:D

Phat Matt
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
someone have a little too much time on there hands?:D Getting all jeapoardy, cliff claven on us....:D
Well ya see, 4day, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. ! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

4day!!
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Well ya see, 4day, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. ! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
That boy good, he good!

Old Man Havasu
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
That shit be funny!