PDA

View Full Version : Morse Cable Question

SGettmann
09-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Morse cable question - are there any zerts for lubricating morse cables? I've crawled through my boat and haven't been able to fine any, but not sure if there is a way to lubricate the cable. I have a 21' Schiada with an external/transom mounted rudder. There are two morse cables (coming from both the right and left side) that attache to the rudder arm. I'm noticing that the turning action is binding a bit when the rudder is straight and I start to turn left or right.
I would like to make what I have work, but if there isn't a method to lubricate the cable within the cable housing, then it looks like I'll need to buy new cables. If this is the case - I'm assuming that I can order this stuff by the foot?
Thanks for any info. I'll get some photos up. Things are looking very good. Motors coming together, Carson Brummet is going through my turbos now, when those come back, the valve train goes in and the rest of the motor goes together. Vdrive freshly rebuilt with new gears and bearings, the hull is looking really sharp. Need to get all new braided stainless hoses in the next few weeks.

colechillin
09-18-2007, 07:13 PM
I have never seen any zerks on Morse cables. I know that their are many different styles. This might help you...
http://www.teleflexmorse.com/Products.html

FlatStupid
09-18-2007, 08:43 PM
McNielus Mixer a company that sell mixer drums for trucks used to sell an ethylene glycol product for lubricating Morse cables. It worked pretty well. Came with a gun that slipped over the end of the cable. However if your just gonna do one buy a new cable!!:D

SGettmann
09-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys - I did some research today. Found that Rex has a bunch of cables and need to pull the serial number off the back of what I have, as you noted Huffpower. Looks like in the $100 range per cable, so I don't think that's too bad. I'll disengage the cables from the rudder arm, but the zert on the external rudder has been pumped full of grease, so that shouldn't be the issue.
Hey Rex - if you're reviewing, that would be great if you could move my avatar from SGettmann over to this account. I forgot my old password and can't get it (no access to old email account). Thanks.

Riverkid
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
:( The cables do not have any method for internal grease, the "original" red jacketed Morse cables are very difficult to find, unless you have a known source that has a few stashed.
The length is stamped in black on the cable and is in inches. I found my stuff when I converted from single to dual from an old boat shop in Sacramento. They were very fair on prices, the cables were found at Teagues & a dist that Schiada uses, down in long beach area.
The cables are fairly pricey.
Does your external steering have any grease points, maybe thats where your feeling the bind??
It's this boat, Huff...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39582&stc=1&d=1190256097

SGettmann
09-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey Riverkid!! That's my ride!! Pretty much looks the same, but the engine will be all brand new and gone through. Plus the turbo housings will be updated with new waste gauages (newer style turbos require new waste guages). I'll have pictures up soon.

Rexone
09-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Hey Rex - if you're reviewing, that would be great if you could move my avatar from SGettmann over to this account. I forgot my old password and can't get it (no access to old email account). Thanks.
I can merge these 2 accounts for you.
Would you like to keep your new screename or drop the 21'Schiada part? Can do either.

SGettmann
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
I can merge these 2 accounts for you.
Would you like to keep your new screename or drop the 21'Schiada part? Can do either.
Hey Rex - SGettmann is fine - thanks for taking care of me on this. Didn't see where I could respond in the PM part.
Thanks!
Sean

Racey
09-20-2007, 05:59 PM
It's a shame Morse stopped making the old command II steering cables after they were bought out by teleflex, those things work unbelievably well.

River Lynchmob
09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
It's this boat, Huff...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39582&stc=1&d=1190256097
That's Pete Mitchells old boat which originally came from Lake Arrowhead where it was for about 12 to 15 years and was never used. Pete spent a lot of money on that thing updating it. Installing the external rudder and installing the turbo 400. That's a nice boat you got.

Rexone
09-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Hey Rex - SGettmann is fine - thanks for taking care of me on this. Didn't see where I could respond in the PM part.
Thanks!
Sean
Merge and name change is done. You're welcome. :)
You should be able to load the avatar now.