PDA

View Full Version : Need Info! Ranger or Rhino???

wright27
09-19-2007, 06:20 AM
My wife wants one of these. What are the pros and cons of each? I don't know which one is better.

Trailer Park Casanova
09-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Polaris has a very bad record of parts availability and customer service.
Ask anyone with a Polaris watercraft if they can get parts.
Friends don't let friends buy Polaris.

wright27
09-19-2007, 06:29 AM
That is good to know, thanks. She is leaning towards the Polaris because it is wider.

TOBTEK
09-19-2007, 06:35 AM
I worked for a Polaris/Yamaha dealer in San diego for MANY years.....and I would NEVER own a polaris anything! They are a horrible company period !!!! Now given that, I've owned two rhinos, and my curious to see the new Kawasaki V=twin Rhino knock off. Was at the dealer yesterday, and they are already saying they have a huge list for the new Kawy...its going to be EXPENSIVE = over sticker pricing. If you want the most for the least amount of money, you want to get this one...
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161484

TOBTEK
09-19-2007, 06:37 AM
That is good to know, thanks. She is leaning towards the Polaris because it is wider.
buy and Rhino, and some wheel spacers then.... you have to ask yourself, WHY is are there 500 to 1 rhinos to Rangers sold ???

OutCole'd
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM
One of my best friends runs the service department for a Seadoo/Yami dealership and I asked him the same question. He said they call the Polaris-Polarius, get the Yami. So I followed his advise.
Talk to to Ranger owners also though. The ones I've talked to, love them, so who knows.

wright27
09-19-2007, 06:44 AM
buy and Rhino, and some wheel spacers then.... you have to ask yourself, WHY is are there 500 to 1 rhinos to Rangers sold ???
Yamaha is my choice for sure. I have owned 2 Yamaha bikes, and they have been bulletproof. She likes the fact that the polaris seats 3 across.

local805
09-19-2007, 06:48 AM
because people cant think for themselves and are to worried about having what everyone else has,i have several rangers and work them harder than they are made to be used,and they out perform everything out there,they all have over 400 hrs on them and cant say enough good things about them,sevice and parts has never been a problem,but have serviced them every 100 hrs.:)

havaduner
09-19-2007, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=TOBTEK;2796749]
because people cant think for themselves and are to worried about having what everyone else has,i have several rangers and work them harder than they are made to be used,and they out perform everything out there,they all have over 400 hrs on them and cant say enough good things about them,sevice and parts has never been a problem,but have serviced them every 100 hrs.:)
So my Buddy buys a Ranger, because its wider than a Rhino, and he says faster. First run down the street to the Launch Ramp/beach, the rear end grenades. Fights with two dealers to get it fixed. First real ride, engage four wheel drive, within ten minutes front differential breaks while trying to get through a sandy wash.
I'll stick with my Rhino.

Mrs. 20
09-19-2007, 06:59 AM
We just bought a Ranger, and I am thrilled with it. I have actually heard lots of great things about them. I love the extra space for the 3 kids in the back bench. My husband doesn't even fit well in the rhino. Neither do my kids. Maybe the Rhinos are more popular because of their smaller size, fitting into trailers and stuff. As far as after market stuff, we have had no problem getting everything we want done. Custom paint, cage, billet, stereo, tires and rims, etc. We got several quotes. The shops told us they are seeing tons of them coming in now. Anyways, go to http://www.prcforum.com/
It's a Ranger forum. That way you can get a balanced opinion.:)

phebus
09-19-2007, 07:02 AM
This thread should be at least six pages by lunch.
DCB vs Eliminator?
Chevy vs Ford?
Aye ya ya :D

Not So Fast
09-19-2007, 07:15 AM
As with everything, DRIVE ONE FIRST. Make sure its what you want and also if the Rhino is going to be F.I. this year it should be quite an improvement. There are some very nice used Rhinos for sale at good prices, if fact a lot of'em:idea: I know everybody loves theirs but no so with me, sold it after 4 months :( NSF

phebus
09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
As with everything, DRIVE ONE FIRST. Make sure its what you want and also if the Rhino is going to be F.I. this year it should be quite an improvement. There are some very nice used Rhinos for sale at good prices, if fact a lot of'em:idea: I know everybody loves theirs but no so with me, sold it after 4 months :( NSF
Bobby, you are a straight shooter, what were the "cons" to owning a Rhino?

Big Kahunaa
09-19-2007, 07:31 AM
i bought a ranger about three weeks ago i am very happy with it we have 20 hrs on it and not one problem and my dealer has been very helpfull but when the honda comes out i'll have a very hard time keeping the ranger and for the aftermarket stuff i build all my own stuff so that was not a factor

2Driver
09-19-2007, 07:39 AM
Do this: Go down and look closely at the engineering, fit and finish of a 350 Yamaha quad compared to a similar model Polaris. 2 different worlds IMO. Polaris looks garage made compared to the Yam. Now who's UTV do you want? Add to that the service and aftermarket parts selection factor and I would take Yam any day. But I am sure there are lots of happy Ranger owners. Just my take.
Yep the Rhino tips easy and if you have kids keep it a 2 seater. If they ride in the front get doors and a 5 point harness.

Outnumbered
09-19-2007, 07:43 AM
i bought a ranger about three weeks ago i am very happy with it we have 20 hrs on it and not one problem and my dealer has been very helpfull but when the honda comes out i'll have a very hard time keeping the ranger and for the aftermarket stuff i build all my own stuff so that was not a factor
You have got to be focking kidding...:eek:
http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/uploaded/aaa/20079701242_bigred.jpg

Jyruiz
09-19-2007, 07:43 AM
I like them both, but would have to go with the Ranger because I need to sit 5 total. I don't like the fact that I would have to get a trailer though if I went with the Ranger for when I would want to go to the desert bar or stuff like that.
Thats it, F both of them.:devil: :D :devil:

DeltaSigBoater
09-19-2007, 08:04 AM
YAMAHA
That's all you need to know... :D

wright27
09-19-2007, 08:23 AM
She will be hauling around kids, and our kids will also drive it. The only thing I am concerned with is the tip factor. I think the Ranger might be better in this department. Some happy Ranger owners and a few my friends was a piece of junk. Are there any people who own one and hate there Ranger?

Big Kahunaa
09-19-2007, 08:26 AM
You have got to be focking kidding...:eek:
http://www.ridingarizona.com/forum/uploaded/aaa/20079701242_bigred.jpg
we can make it look good some grill mods cage bumpers wheels im just a honda guy

Outnumbered
09-19-2007, 08:33 AM
She will be hauling around kids, and our kids will also drive it. The only thing I am concerned with is the tip factor. I think the Ranger might be better in this department. Some happy Ranger owners and a few my friends was a piece of junk. Are there any people who own one and hate there Ranger?
Don't listen to people that don't own them. Its just like Dodge, people love to bash them but have never owned one. I used to be the same way...until I bought my first Mopar.
Go to the PRC forums and also go to the Rhino forums. You will see issues on both. The BIG issue with the Rangers was a defective motor mount that caused belts to shred. It has apparently been recalled and fixed on 2007-1/2 models. If you buy a used one you need to take it in and get the new motor mount and new upgraded belt. They should do it for free.
Just like 2Driver said, if you do buy a Rhino they are really small for 4 people. If you have older kids get a Ranger. I would just buy a 2008 and get a warranty. The resale is so high that it is no discount to buy a used one.
Good luck.

Not So Fast
09-19-2007, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=phebus;2796852]Bobby, you are a straight shooter, what were the "cons" to owning a Rhino?[/QUOTE
First and foremost Rick was the heat felt in the cockpit, when it is 115 and throw in the heat from the engine it just became no fun. Maybe in the winter time it would be great:idea: Second was the friggin noise and i kept waiting for a shift but with a CVT the revs just build and it gets louder, again maybe its just me and I am too old for this stuff. Also the confines of the cockpit, I was used to my golf cart which had a lot more room to spread out so to speak and on top of it all was they get pretty lousy mileage. I was forever putting gas in the darn thing. keep in mind I used it for street which is not its strong point and I should have DRIVEN ONE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. Didnt follow the golden rule did I:rolleyes: I came out ok and lost very little $$ so lesson learned. I like cleanliness so my next venture (if I can find something that wont break the national budget) will be a street rod/muscle car WITH A/C and comfortable seats. Its hell getting old and having a bad back as you know all too well;) NSF

djunkie
09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Rhinos suck!!! :jawdrop: :D :D :D

Cole Trickle
09-19-2007, 10:52 AM
[QUOTE=phebus;2796852]Bobby, you are a straight shooter, what were the "cons" to owning a Rhino?[/QUOTE
First and foremost Rick was the heat felt in the cockpit, when it is 115 and throw in the heat from the engine it just became no fun. Maybe in the winter time it would be great:idea: Second was the friggin noise and i kept waiting for a shift but with a CVT the revs just build and it gets louder, again maybe its just me and I am too old for this stuff. Also the confines of the cockpit, I was used to my golf cart which had a lot more room to spread out so to speak and on top of it all was they get pretty lousy mileage. I was forever putting gas in the darn thing. keep in mind I used it for street which is not its strong point and I should have DRIVEN ONE BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. Didnt follow the golden rule did I:rolleyes: I came out ok and lost very little $$ so lesson learned. I like cleanliness so my next venture (if I can find something that wont break the national budget) will be a street rod/muscle car WITH A/C and comfortable seats. Its hell getting old and having a bad back as you know all too well;) NSF
Weird....
2nd time I have heard the heat issue in less than a week and I never noticed it.:)
Gas mileage?
I feel like the thing goes forever on a tank. Pretty sure they get like 80 miles when full.

djunkie
09-19-2007, 10:54 AM
[
Weird....
2nd time I have heard the heat issue in less than a week and I never noticed it.:)
Gas mileage?
I feel like the thing goes forever on a tank. Pretty sure they get like 80 miles when full.
Funny thing. I remember reading before where he said something about the engine heat issue. Well this weekend when I was driving mine I tried to feel around for it and the only way I felt engine heat was if I rested my right leg against the engine cover. And the only way that happens is if I didn't have my foot on the gas or brake. Other than that I never noticed it.

Cole Trickle
09-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Funny thing. I remember reading before where he said something about the engine heat issue. Well this weekend when I was driving mine I tried to feel around for it and the only way I felt engine heat was if I rested my right leg against the engine cover. And the only way that happens is if I didn't have my foot on the gas or brake. Other than that I never noticed it.
I know that Blaine (Insman) was saying he had the same issue. The only thing that really bothers me is some times the bed will squeak.
Honestly if I lived in Havasu full time I would sell the truck/rhino and get a new 4 door rubicon with that conv top deal. No way in the worl would I use the rhino during the day in the summer. AC would be key

mbrown2
09-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Honestly if I lived in Havasu full time I would sell the truck/rhino and get a new 4 door rubicon with that conv top deal. No way in the worl would I use the rhino during the day in the summer. AC would be key
They will launch a real boat on a real slippery ramp too :)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39561&d=1190229781

Cole Trickle
09-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Nice ride:)
With the extended length does a jeep finally ride good on the freeway? I have always wanted a jeep but have always hated the ride/handling at 75+ on the freeway.

OutCole'd
09-19-2007, 11:37 AM
I could not agree more. Mine has sat since June, barely used. Just too friggen hot to even think about it.
But I'll be thrashin soon!!!

Outnumbered
09-19-2007, 11:38 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39561&d=1190229781.
Hopefully they will put a 4.7 or a Hemi in that next year. Then I may have to get me one of those bad boys. Nice Jeep.

Jyruiz
09-19-2007, 12:26 PM
With the extended length does a jeep finally ride good on the freeway? I have always wanted a jeep but have always hated the ride/handling at 75+ on the freeway.
They do ride nicer, but still ony a 3500lbs towing rating.:(

Jyruiz
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I could not agree more. Mine has sat since June, barely used. Just too friggen hot to even think about it.
But I'll be thrashin soon!!!
I see a lot of people using them during the summer, I see lots of Rangers/Rhinos drive by our house all the time.

Cole Trickle
09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
They do ride nicer, but still ony a 3500lbs towing rating.:(
They really need to dump the 5.7 in there!:)

wright27
09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
We went to our local dealership. She wants the Rhino, but she wants to wait for FI 08. No one will quote us a price on the 08. I told her they will probably no be willing to deal for awhile on the 08. They are going to quote her both ways, hopefully they make the 07 price really good. She wants the silver S.E.

Jyruiz
09-19-2007, 12:35 PM
They really need to dump the 5.7 in there!:)
At least the 4.7. I was thinking of getting one and leaving my truck in Havi, but I would hate to drive the Jeep back home after some light offroad in Havi and have it break down on me on the way home.

mbrown2
09-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Hopefully they will put a 4.7 or a Hemi in that next year. Then I may have to get me one of those bad boys. Nice Jeep.
You got that right...the V6 sux...I am contemplating doing the 5.7 or 6.1 swap...you can get a reasonable deal on a 5.7 with trans....I have 5.13 gears with 35's and its great on the trail and not too bad on the road...but you can't mask the lack of ponies...

mbrown2
09-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Thnx...its night and day between the TJ, very smooth highway ride even lifted with 35's....smoother then my Duramax with 35's...but the V6 is underpowered...I really want to do a 5.7 swap..

djunkie
09-19-2007, 12:40 PM
I know that Blaine (Insman) was saying he had the same issue. The only thing that really bothers me is some times the bed will squeak.
Jeeps are great. In fact my brother and I may be getting one soon. Found a deal on one that been sitting for a while. But I won't be getting rid of the Rhino for one. For the fun factor the Rhino is the best IMO. I'd like to get a Cheroke instead so I can launch the boat with it but my brother seems set on a Wrangler.

WTMFA
09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
After all the Topock runs last year I knew I had to have one. Let me first say that I think the Rhino is a very good and proven machine. The fact that they have'nt changed it untill now tells you something. But after riding in both the Ranger and the Rhino I picked the Ranger. I liked the fact that the ranger had a quieter smother efi engine. If I put wheel spacers or long travel kit on the rhino to make it as stable as the ranger I would have mud or whatever stuff I would be driving thru all over me from the wheels sticking out. The room in the cab and bed were both factors for me also. As far as problems with it, if your belt alignment & tension are set and you have the updated motor mount you should'nt have any problems. I've done havasu to alamo lake runs, san felipe to puerticitos runs desert riding and street driving here in havasu and I have yet to regret the purchase. With this being said I think whichever one you buy you will definatly have fun with it.
Good luck!

Outnumbered
09-19-2007, 01:17 PM
At least the 4.7. I was thinking of getting one and leaving my truck in Havi, but I would hate to drive the Jeep back home after some light offroad in Havi and have it break down on me on the way home.
The 1997-2006 Jeeps were about as reliable as you could get. I'm not sure about the new ones but reliability is not an issue as far as I can tell. I had a TJ, you could run it hard all day off-road and drive it home at the end of the day.

River Runin
09-19-2007, 01:32 PM
I've had a 500, two 600's, and running the 700 & 800 presently. They have performed Flawlessly! ;) fwiw!

Not So Fast
09-19-2007, 02:17 PM
In all fairness on the heat issue, I should mention that I had a full windshield and maybe that was the problem. I had to reposition it a couple of times and it did improve but still it was very uncomfortable in the summer, you could feel the motor heat being sucked in, probably feel good in the winter thou. NSF

djunkie
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
In all fairness on the heat issue, I should mention that I had a full windshield and maybe that was the problem. I had to reposition it a couple of times and it did improve but still it was very uncomfortable in the summer, you could feel the motor heat being sucked in, probably feel good in the winter thou. NSF
Just admit it, your getting old and like old people you needed something to complain about. LOL!!!!!!!! Just messin with ya. :D :D :D

Not So Fast
09-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Just admit it, your getting old and like old people you needed something to complain about. LOL!!!!!!!! Just messin with ya. :D :D :D
Bingo, and it hurts to to admit it. Seems like just yesterday that yada, yada, yada, same ole story. Youth is wasted on the young and before you know it YOU ARE OLD, beleve it:jawdrop: But its all good, have a great wife of 40 years next month, and 3 wonderful sons and DIL's and 2 beautiful grand kids, our health and live in Havasu:D :D :D NSF

Rvr Swpr
09-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Cool

TOBTEK
09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
We went to our local dealership. She wants the Rhino, but she wants to wait for FI 08. No one will quote us a price on the 08. I told her they will probably no be willing to deal for awhile on the 08. They are going to quote her both ways, hopefully they make the 07 price really good. She wants the silver S.E.
Save yourself a TON of money, and buy Andy's rhino in the spam section. The new Efi is nice, but not worth atleast 5k more stock. Either swap out his red plastic for silver or contact www.myspace.com/apdesigns and have it done right! I'm TRYing to forward you pics of my brokers ride, but the picture files are to big to upload here.

2Driver
09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
That picture just makes me feel good. If I had a dollar for every early morning ski run we've had on the glassy spot in the far left corner.....ahhhhhhhhhh.

RiverRatMike
09-19-2007, 05:33 PM
now that I can totally agree on. Go with a Rhino! :)

wright27
09-20-2007, 08:07 AM
We have a friend with a hook up. The Rhino ,Silver 08 was ordered yesterday. MSRP out the door. Thanks for all the info.:D

River Runin
09-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Have you checked out the polaris RzR :idea: ;)

Outnumbered
09-20-2007, 08:55 AM
We have a friend with a hook up. The Rhino ,Silver 08 was ordered yesterday. MSRP out the door. Thanks for all the info.:D
EFI? What is the ETA?

wright27
09-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Have you checked out the polaris RzR :idea: ;)
Yes, but it does not look like it will have room for a back seat.

wright27
09-20-2007, 10:56 AM
EFI? What is the ETA?
Yea EFI, ETA is November.

Outnumbered
09-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Yea EFI, ETA is November.
Congrats. What is MSRP on those? $11-12k?

wright27
09-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Congrats. What is MSRP on those? $11-12k?
Thanks $11,149 for the sport edition.