PDA

View Full Version : Cabo San Lucas information needed

Rocknpalms
09-19-2007, 03:12 PM
My family and I are taking a 6 day cruise (Carnival) starting this Saturday and one of our stops will be Cabo. We want to rent a Jeep, take a trail or two and find a nice beach to spend the day.
1. Are there places to rent a Jeep close to where to cruise boats dock?
b. Should I reserve one now or just get one when we dock?
2. Any one have a nice trail map or map for nice beaches?
3. Is it legal to drive on the public beaches there?
4. Any must see places or resturants?
I know I can go on a Jeep tour as an excursion sold from the boat but I like to roam on my own.

XtrmWakeborder
09-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I don't remember seeing any jeep rental places, but my friends and I rented quads and went on the dunes on the far side of town.

boatnam2
09-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Not sure were to rent the jeep,i know there is a nice beach that you can scuba at 8 miles or so i beleive it called playa santa maria,lots of fish to see.I did see people driving on the beach not sure if its legal.

SandbarScot
09-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Usually not a lot of time off the ship...pull in at 8am, tender to shore, gotta be back on board around 3pm. Just enough time to go to Cabo Wabos and sample the tequila after some beach time.

Miss Perfect
09-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I just got back from a Carnival cruise to Cabo on Monday. I do not remember seeing any jeep rental places in Cabo at all and you really do not have that much time on shore. I strongly advise against going on one of the glass bottom boat tours. We rented one just to get over to the other side of Cabo and he convinced us to take a tour. UGH...never again. I loved the cruise, but in all honesty, Cabo is just another sh1thole mexican town.

XtrmWakeborder
09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I just got back from a Carnival cruise to Cabo on Monday. I do not remember seeing any jeep rental places in Cabo at all and you really do not have that much time on shore. I strongly advise against going on one of the glass bottom boat tours. We rented one just to get over to the other side of Cabo and he convinced us to take a tour. UGH...never again. I loved the cruise, but in all honesty, Cabo is just another sh1thole mexican town.
100 percent correct, unless you are there to go clubbing at night.

TBONE1904
09-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Really it is that bad? Is it an expensive TJ? My new chik has never been there and she just booked us a flight and hotel for my bday. She is Mexican and a loan processor for a company in Del Mar called Finance North America, they guide and fund people interested in buying property in Mexico. I am hoping with her work experience everything will be fine. Hell as long as I get some, and drink everything will be fine!!!!

DeltaSigBoater
09-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Cabo is just another sh1thole mexican town.
100 percent correct, unless you are there to go clubbing at night.
After a long day of fishing :D

XtrmWakeborder
09-19-2007, 09:29 PM
The actual town is a pos, but the hotels are really nice along with the clubs.
Here is where I stayed http://www.cabovillas.com/properties.asp?PID=55
http://www.playagranderesort.com/accommodations.cfm?p=Presidential+Suite

WET HULL
09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
We stayed at Playa Grande for a week in August this summer. Awesome resort. Insane rooms. Pool sucked though. Nothing going on there, not even music. That resort down by the office with the whale waterslide is fun. They have tequila pool volleyball.

Rocknpalms
09-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Maybe the Jeep is out then. Since we will be eating and drinking so much on the boat. I dont want to spend our time on land eating and drinking. Would you guys recommend a taxi to a close beach? If so how far away are the resort beaches and are they public?

ALTERED-EAGLE
09-20-2007, 06:58 AM
The cruise liners bring you in to the marina. Just off the marina is Medena Beach, it's a nice beach with lots uf things to do. Check out the " office " on the beach and I recommend Cabo Wabo Cantina also. The only jeep rental places we saw in our travels were in San Jose. Very nice area of Mexico but is expensive, awsome night life.:D

HitIt
09-20-2007, 07:02 AM
I just got back from a Carnival cruise to Cabo on Monday.
Hey, me too. We probably saw each other. Anyway, I dont remember seeing Jeep rental places either. Go to Mambos for cheap drinks/food if you want. Fun places. They had a locals vs cruisers drinking contest. Locals won.
As for the water taxis, they will be waiting when you get off the ship. Usually $12 or so round trip (pay up front). I didnt hear of anyone not getting picked back up either so dont worry about it.

Miss Perfect
09-20-2007, 07:05 AM
The cruise liners bring you in to the marina. Just off the marina is Medena Beach, it's a nice beach with lots uf things to do. Check out the " office " on the beach and I recommend Cabo Wabo Cantina also. The only jeep rental places we saw in our travels were in San Jose. Very nice area of Mexico but is expensive, awsome night life.:D
The office is closed down for at least another month. We went to one of the places right next to it, that is on the beach. $14.00 tacos and $5.00 beers. It's not cheap at all, but being on the beach is cool.

Miss Perfect
09-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Hey, me too. We probably saw each other. Anyway, I dont remember seeing Jeep rental places either. Go to Mambos for cheap drinks/food if you want. Fun places. They had a locals vs cruisers drinking contest. Locals won.
As for the water taxis, they will be waiting when you get off the ship. Usually $12 or so round trip (pay up front). I didnt hear of anyone not getting picked back up either so dont worry about it.
Really? how funny...we probably did see each other at some point. :D

Riverkid
09-20-2007, 07:41 AM
The office is closed down for at least another month. We went to one of the places right next to it, that is on the beach. $14.00 tacos and $5.00 beers. It's not cheap at all, but being on the beach is cool.
Billigan's Island.
Nice little spot! :D

Baja Big Dog
09-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Depending on the time, you can get a ride to the north end of town, and rent quads, they take you through the deserts and some go on the beaches, the only rental places are at the airport.
You might call on of the hotels and act like yor staying there and ask for infor on the tours.
Try the Tesoro Los Cabos at 011-52-624-143-1220.
I disagree with the nay sayers..its a neat litle town, that is growing faster the lifestyle of the locals, but it still a fun place, way...way...way overpriced these days.
The beach bars (Billigans, the Office) are fun, but not very kid oreinted.
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06507.jpg
http://http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb115/bajabigdog/Cabo1-6-06469.jpg

Relaxalot
09-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Take the water taxi to lover's beach.
Do not miss Pancho's restaurant you may need reservations it is very busy. I know the food on the ship is free but the food, especially the ribs and enchiladas are mucho better!!

boatnam2
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM
billigans is a blast,like baja said not kid so kid freindly.they also serve del sol my favorite not many places do.you wont have time but the snorklr booze cruise is a blast 40 bucks os so but i pounded the drinks ans one probaly one of only 5 or so people that snorkled when we got to spot.head back pounded again and they serve you lunch fun trip.

PBOCOP
09-20-2007, 10:56 AM
Personal preference. We love Cabo. We go every year.
I went to Cabo twice a year on cruises for many years, probably about 10 years. But when you go on cruises, you are usually only there long enough to have lunch, some beers, and get back to the ship. We eventually bought a time share and go every year now.
Not sure about it being another shitty Mexican town. I think it's one of the best towns in Mexico. Can't wait to get back there again. To each his own.

Miss Perfect
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Personal preference. We love Cabo. We go every year.
I went to Cabo twice a year on cruises for many years, probably about 10 years. But when you go on cruises, you are usually only there long enough to have lunch, some beers, and get back to the ship. We eventually bought a time share and go every year now.
Not sure about it being another shitty Mexican town. I think it's one of the best towns in Mexico. Can't wait to get back there again. To each his own.
By all rights, I was only there a few hours. I am sure there are super nice parts of the town. Being at a resort there is probably a way different experience then the one I had. :)

boatnam2
09-20-2007, 04:23 PM
It is less then a 2 hour flight for us,so if you fish,golf,snorkle or just like to hang out at a nice resort and party it is nice.I have to say it is nothing even close to TJ.We also bought a time share next to billigans and will be going every year for many moons to come probaly twice a year.

Rocknpalms
09-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Do they rent snorkle equipment on Medena Beach?

XtrmWakeborder
09-20-2007, 06:24 PM
We stayed at Playa Grande for a week in August this summer. Awesome resort. Insane rooms. Pool sucked though. Nothing going on there, not even music. That resort down by the office with the whale waterslide is fun. They have tequila pool volleyball.
Really? We went in late June and the pool was great! Playa grande has tequila volleyball too. Did they split up the resort or something? We had the presidential suite and it was sick for sure.

ALTERED-EAGLE
09-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Do they rent snorkle equipment on Medena Beach?
I personaly never saw a place for snorkle equipment, but just about everything else. I'm guessing there will be someplace on the beach.

WET HULL
09-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Really? We went in late June and the pool was great! Playa grande has tequila volleyball too. Did they split up the resort or something? We had the presidential suite and it was sick for sure.
The pool was nice but not all that fun, very relaxing however. They did volleyball, but for only about an hour and no tequila. We were into more of the get drunk and party pool scene. The events at night around the pool were fun. The resort is still just one big one, and I would say the nicest out of them all. We will definetly stay there again.

XtrmWakeborder
09-20-2007, 09:14 PM
The pool was nice but not all that fun, very relaxing however. They did volleyball, but for only about an hour and no tequila. We were into more of the get drunk and party pool scene. The events at night around the pool were fun. The resort is still just one big one, and I would say the nicest out of them all. We will definetly stay there again.
I wonder if they toned it down, because we did tequila volleyball a couple times a day. Lots of other people our age were there when I went also, we must have just gotten lucky.

WET HULL
09-20-2007, 10:29 PM
It might have been an off week for us, but the city was packed and the bars were great. Did you go on the time share tour there? We did and got great deals on all our activitys for the week, 50% off. Quads, zipline, booze cruise, fishing, spa day. That is well worth it for anyone that goes down there. I thought the city was awsome. If you speak spanish it makes it alot easier to get around.