PDA

View Full Version : any court reporters in the house???

Get415
09-19-2007, 06:00 PM
my chic is absolutely fed up with banking business and looking for a new career... anybody have any info on likes/ dislikes/ schools, etc about court reporting. thanks

Nord
09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
My sister is a court reporter. Your chick has to learn shorthand and stenography. I think it usually takes girls about 3-4 years to go through the school and then actually pass the test. PM Angry Inch here on the boards as his Mom used to be a Court Reporter Teacher :)
Good Luck

Get415
09-19-2007, 06:08 PM
thanks for quick response...will do the pm!

RitcheyRch
09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
I am trying to convince my daughter to go to school for this.

Spotondl
09-19-2007, 08:20 PM
My GF is a CSR and loves it... she works freelance with a few law firms as clients. The money is pretty damn good and she is able to make plenty of time for her kids and family...
It is more work than most realize, at least as a freelancer... She handles all of her own scheduling, takes the down the jobs themselves. After the job has been taken then the real work begins. First they must scan (scope) over their rough transcript to catch most if not all of the translation errors. Once that is done then the job goes to a proofreader. Once returned, then the copying and assembly stage begins... once the job is assembled the transcript is certified and then delivered. Usually takes about 2 weeks to turn one of these around... unless there is a "rush" order in which case all of this can happen in a matter of days... and the $$$ on a rush is huge...
If you work for the courts it is much much easier... go to work, take the job, go home... the rest is usually taken care of for you... and the job stability is great...
It takes a long time to get certified... there are plenty of plateau barricades that prevent students from achieving an adequate speed... My GF can take upwards of 245 words a minute, but she has been doing it for years... multiple parties speaking simutaneously etc... it is nuts... and she thinks about other things while she is doing it... River, errands she needs to do, family, me the rockstar, you name it... she even text messages me during work.... LOL