PDA

View Full Version : outboard vs. I/O

doyle
05-02-2003, 01:43 AM
I've been an avid boater for years, but I am a bit of a novice on the technical end of the spectrum. Will someone please explain to me why an outboard boat with less or similar power is faster than an i/o boat with similar makeup.

Freak
05-02-2003, 03:38 AM
Major weight difference comes to mind.

doyle
05-03-2003, 02:51 AM
Seriously, I should've thought of that. Is there anything else, or is just the weight difference.

Boat Racer
05-03-2003, 05:16 AM
The 2-stroke compared to 4-stroke... Torque and RPM ranges......
Just to name a few, let me get a cup of coffee in me, and the COBWEBS out of me and I can tell you the specifics of them..

doyle
05-04-2003, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the reply . If you got the time more info would be appreciated.

Boat Racer
05-04-2003, 04:45 AM
2-stroke outboards are just that... They have a power stroke and then exhaust stroke..... This cuts everything in half,compared to a 4-stroke,which is INTAKE, COMPRESSION, FIRING, & EXHAUST, so let's say my 2.5 litre would and should be considered a 5.0....
And this simplfies and allows an outboard to have a much higher RPM range....
FREAK is correct, I'd run a 5.0 anyday(in a boat)..
[ May 04, 2003, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Boat Racer ]

Skaterfast
05-05-2003, 11:33 PM
1.Power to weight ratio.
2.You can run a higher X dimension with outboards(jack plate).
3.Rpms are a bit more with outboards.
4.Smaller more efficient lower unit.

doyle
05-07-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks guys, I feel smarter already

jasonk
06-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Don't forget the ease of working on them. My brother has a I/O took over an hour to get the starter off. It will take longer than that to put it back on. Not to mention how sore he was fromthe tight quarters.

MAXIMUS
06-03-2003, 01:04 PM
jasonk:
Don't forget the ease of working on them. My brother has a I/O took over an hour to get the starter off. It will take longer than that to put it back on. Not to mention how sore he was fromthe tight quarters. Your right about that! Them outboard starters are a piece of cake! Just get some more rope & attach it to the "T" handle, & presto new starter! :D

Kim Hanson
06-03-2003, 03:52 PM
MAXIMUS:
jasonk:
Don't forget the ease of working on them. My brother has a I/O took over an hour to get the starter off. It will take longer than that to put it back on. Not to mention how sore he was fromthe tight quarters. Your right about that! Them outboard starters are a piece of cake! Just get some more rope & attach it to the "T" handle, & presto new starter! :D If we ever hook-up, you bring that rope with you I want to see you pull start mine....( . )( . )...... :D

MAXIMUS
06-03-2003, 05:01 PM
I have a chainsaw cord we could use for yours! :p
LOL...

eliminatedsprinter
06-04-2003, 02:22 PM
One thing that has not been mentioned is OBs have better weight distribution. The wt of the whole powertrain is hanging off the back so more of the hull is out of the water. This + the higher x dimention, that was previously mentioned, allows for more perfect dialing in than is possible with a stern drive. :D
Now if only I can get mine to run right. cry

ratso
06-04-2003, 08:34 PM
So, does the same go for JET BOATS?
Just kidding...........