PDA

View Full Version : theft recovery

beernut
09-19-2007, 07:47 PM
my sons tow rig, 2001 f350 4x4 was stolen the day after he bought it, 1&1/2 years ago, and he just happened to call the # to the theft recovery devision today,(he had called numerous times) and found out it had been recovered 8 days after it was stolen! the tow company had deen driving it the whole time! it had a different vin # (from tennessee) stuck over the top of the original one,and dealer plates, and when they tried to register it (lean sale to them) they were caught, turns out it never left phoenix area, and now it will have a salvage title, so what recourse does he have? and who should he go after?:confused:

ULTRA26 # 1
09-19-2007, 08:13 PM
my sons tow rig, 2001 f350 4x4 was stolen the day after he bought it, 1&1/2 years ago, and he just happened to call the # to the theft recovery devision today,(he had called numerous times) and found out it had been recovered 8 days after it was stolen! the tow company had deen driving it the whole time! it had a different vin # (from tennessee) stuck over the top of the original one,and dealer plates, and when they tried to register it (lean sale to them) they were caught, turns out it never left phoenix area, and now it will have a salvage title, so what recourse does he have? and who should he go after?:confused:
Wasn't he paid by his insurance company? If so he has no recourse. Generally the salvage issue can be reversed with proper documentation.

Classic Daycruiser
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
This happened to my 2000 Camaro SS in October 1999... but I caught the tow company in the act. I was at a movie parked in a regular spot. I forgot to leave my cell phone in the car. As I was walking out to the parking lot I saw a tow truck with my camaro hooked up (Still had the 45 day tags). I walked up and told the tow truck driver that it was a really nice car, and asked him if it was broken down, he said yes, and I called the cops, as I jumped into the car. He was arrested, did not say anything to the cops (They got there really quick). We went to court, and he and the company produced documents for a 1999 camaro ss, that was supposed to be towed.
I wrote a demand letter for $10,000 and the tow company settled the next day.
I bet the tow company stole it. Get an attorney and sue them. I bet you could get $25K easily without going to court.

WishIknew
09-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Pheonix and Pheonix same city????? same tow co????? ok ill explain better!!! truck stolen by Phoenix tow co and Camaro towed by Phoenix tow co!!!

PaPaG
09-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Pheonix and Pheonix same city????? same tow co?????
I think it's time to get some rest Mr. Trump :D

Racey
09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Wow, that's crazy, alot of tow guys come off as shady to me, but going that far, and both of those stories are friggin unreal!

MudPumper
09-19-2007, 10:36 PM
an old neighbor of mine had a buddy who worked for a tow company. They would take the tow truck and go steal cars in the night, take them back to my neighbors house and strip the interior/stereos etc...then tow them up into the mountains and dump them off a cliff. Just one of the many things he got arrested for. Friggin dirt bag.

MADDOG355
09-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Happens alot near recycle companys.
When I worked at PSC (schredder yard) in Nashville if someone, tow companys, person, and most junkyards brought in a car they had to list the VIN# on the scale ticket and we had to check that the VIN# they listed matched the one on the car. If it did not have a VIN plate we would not take it.
I have actually seen a car broke down on my way to work and a few hrs later someone try to bring it in.

Classic Daycruiser
09-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Arizona is a state that issues a new salvage title to vehicle thief recoveries. The car does not have to be in an accident.

Classic Daycruiser
09-20-2007, 01:01 AM
Pheonix and Pheonix same city????? same tow co????? ok ill explain better!!! truck stolen by Phoenix tow co and Camaro towed by Phoenix tow co!!!
Yes we have problems with tow trucks in Arizona, like I'm sure most other states do too. I can only assume my car on the back of a tow truck is stolen, and was going to be stripped. Or turned into a weekend 1/4 miler:idea:

lawbreaker2
09-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Same here, but the cops work with the tow co's:rolleyes: And yes I'm not joking about that. This is why I don't trust cops.:mad:

lawbreaker2
09-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Heck they just nabed a few of them the other day for this, and selling drugs.:rolleyes:

beernut
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
he had just bought the truck the day before,and only owned it for about 12 hours when it was stolen, and he had just sold his harley and paid cash for the truck ,luckley the pink slip was in his wallet ,he was on his way to the dmv,and it was taken from starbucks parking lot!!(this sounds like an inside job, we suspected the seller), he didnt have full-coverage on his other trucks, aaa will insure it for a few days untill you regester it in your name,but only up to your current coverage, and tried to get the sellers ins to pay but no-go,we are still waiting for the cops to release it, and its under investigation now :mad: