PDA

View Full Version : Lasik...are you happy with the results?

Wicky
09-19-2007, 07:53 PM
JUst curious. I had mine done four weeks ago tomorrow. I have found that it has made me a horrible driver lately. I keep catching myself reading signs that I could never read before and looking at everything, but the road.
I have never worn glasses or contacts. Eyes have been poor since 5th grade.
Migraine headaches since I was a little kid too.
I used to memorize the chart at the DMV to get my license.
I went from 20/100 to 20/15 with the wave front procedure.:D and
I haven't had a headache since.
Mow,
Wicky

Phat Matt
09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Best thing I have ever done!

pw_Tony
09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Awesome, how much did it cost and where did you get it done?

STV_Keith
09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Yup, did PRK a little over a year ago. Got sick of the glasses and couldn't do contacts. PRK was a little more painful and had a longer recovery time, but I'd do it again.
Definitely one of those things that you wish you did years ago.

Wicky
09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Awesome, how much did it cost and where did you get it done?
I had it done here in Boise at a place called Clearly Lasik. It was a little over 3k. This includes every possible bell and whistle. Could have had it done for a lot cheaper but, I wasn't shopping for a bargain. I was shopping for the best!

lalhc
09-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Lasik was one of the best things I've ever done. No more falling asleep w/contacts or glasses, and I can wear regular sunglasses:D I had it done 6 years ago and I'll do it again in a heart-beat if I had too.

TBONE1904
09-19-2007, 08:17 PM
JUst curious. I had mine done four weeks ago tomorrow. I have found that it has made me a horrible driver lately. I keep catching myself reading signs that I could never read before and looking at everything, but the road.
I have never worn glasses or contacts. Eyes have been poor since 5th grade.
Migraine headaches since I was a little kid too.
I used to memorize the chart at the DMV to get my license.
I went from 20/100 to 20/15 with the wave front procedure.:D and
I haven't had a headache since.
Mow,
Wicky
That is how my eyes are but never got the headaches. At the DMV I can see perfect from one eye, but not the other. They make me do a different test that involves looking into this machine. Apparently they can judge from this test if you can see satisfactory to drive. The weird thing is I can see further and read detail while driving better than my friends with 20/20 vision. I have one contact, but never where it because it doesnt make me see any better. I have wondered if the lasik would be worth it.

OKIE-JET
09-19-2007, 08:22 PM
I definitely dont regret it.....and the sunglasses thing is too cool.;)

WishIknew
09-19-2007, 08:32 PM
May 8th to now both eyes bad repair on sept 25th jury is still out

boatsnblondes
09-19-2007, 08:39 PM
I had my wifes done at TLC eyecare in Newport Beach. Same guys that did Tiger Woods....wife has never been the same...it's a whole new type of freedom for someone who has worn glasses...I was glad for her..here is a link...BTW, they are a bit pricey, but once you do it, they give you free services for the rest of your life...nice.....
http://www.tlcvision.com/centers/newportbeach/why_afford_partners.fxml

WishIknew
09-19-2007, 08:41 PM
I had my wifes done at TLC eyecare in Newport Beach. Same guys that did Tiger Woods....wife has never been the same...it's a whole new type of freedom for someone who has worn glasses...I was glad for her..here is a link...BTW, they are a bit pricey, but once you do it, they give you free services for the rest of your life...nice.....
This is Exactly who screwed mine up DR TOOMA!!!!!!!! and i need that free service rite NOW

WishIknew
09-19-2007, 08:43 PM
And real fast warranty work too may8 to sept25?????

Wicky
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
And real fast warranty work too may8 to sept25?????
Out of curiousity was it the custom wavefront or the basic lasik? Sorry to hear the not so good results. Good luck on the redo.

The Doctor
09-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry BnB,
It seems there isn't any thread you can speak your story without someone there to pee in the Wheaties? What's up with this?
I"m glad to hear your wife's eyes turned out so well and I'm also quite aware of the fact that life isn't perfect for everyone? So sorry to hear WishIKnew's experience wasn't a stellar one.
Two son-in-laws and one daughter had lasik performed. One was perfect and nearly immediate. The other two took some time but both have much improved vision compared to what they had previously. None of them now wear glasses or contacts and as I understand it their vision is 20/20 except for the first one who is now 20/15 after a lifetime of thick glasses. It's a miracle for those who turn out well. I've never met anyone who has had results so poor that they wish they could go back? Says something.

WishIknew
09-19-2007, 08:58 PM
it was the newest lasik procedure one close one far wore contacts for 8 years no problem went from far sited to nearsided and have to wear glasses again(not free either) todrive or see when i went back they told me that 1 in5 need touch up (funny no one said that when they took my 6k) so we will see next week!!!!! not trying to pee on anyone just my luck i guess

Phat Matt
09-19-2007, 09:00 PM
it was the newest lasik procedure one close one far wore contacts for 8 years no problem went from far sited to nearsided and have to wear glasses again(not free either) todrive or see when i went back they told me that 1 in5 need touch up (funny no one said that when they took my 6k) so we will see next week!!!!! not trying to pee on anyone just my luck i guess
That blows. :(

WishIknew
09-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Just 1 thing to say if he fixes it this will be the first place to know about it and if not oh well ill be a blind old fart:D :D

PaPaG
09-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Just 1 thing to say if he fixes it this will be the first place to know about it and if not oh well ill be a blind old fart:D :D
I agree with the blind old fart comment :eek:

desertbird
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
Best thing I have ever done!
DITTO!!!!!!!

Robert1050
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I had Dr. Manger at Saddleback Eye Center do mine 6 years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done.
My girlfriend had hers done by Excel Laser Vision 2 months ago and she is thrilled - no glasses for the first time in 37 years!

Caljamr
09-20-2007, 06:49 AM
DITTO!!!!!!!
Ditto to that Ditto.

Dave C
09-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Mine came out perfect.
I understand that old farts can have some side affects (i.e. nearsighted becomes far sighted and vice-versa) So you old farts should discuss this with them if they don't tell you about before the procedure.
My mother went from serious nearsightedness to 20/20 but farsighted. However they warned her about it before the procedure. She still did it because it was still an improvment. It had something to do with her eyesight and age before the procedure (60 + YO)

ULTRA26 # 1
09-20-2007, 08:21 AM
BnB, Glad to hear that this worked out well for your wife. If you want the folks here to stop being so critical, you might think about not making comments like
I had my wifes done at TLC eyecare
Just a thought
Again, glad it worked well for your wife.

WishIknew
09-20-2007, 01:37 PM
WishIknew, is this something that can heal itself and improve over time, or given enough time or do they have to physically fix it? I'm chicken and been putting it off for years.
Rio
No this will not self repair. going on tue for repair i hope. the surg was no pain at all took 1 minute per eye then out the door easyest surgery ever just looked like fireworks in your eye for 1 minute.not to be scared of just 1 thing 1 in 5 need touch up and thats in price.

blown65
09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Had PRK done on my one eye, didn't have the best recovery so kinda held off till Lasik came out. Imperia here in So Oregon did my other eye and couldn't be happier.

572Daytona
09-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Is anyone that had it done over 40 or at the point where you are losing your near vision? I've worn contacts since 3rd grade, extremely near sighted with an astigmatysm in one eye. Contacts have been great for me with no issues, but within the past few years I'm losing my near sight as well, getting to that age in life. Now I've been playing around with various fixes for that, tried having one eye set for distance and one close up and that made me dizzy, currently have bifocal contacts which is better but still not as good as I like.
Doctor said that I'm really not a candidate for lasik, one due to the astigmatysm and two that they could only correct my near or far sight but not both, so I would still need glasses or contacts for the other. My younger brother got lasik, loved it at first but is now back to wearing glasses. So I'm still not convinced.

caribbean20
09-20-2007, 02:47 PM
572, over 40 here. Had mine done 6 years ago, just turned 50. Was minus 5.5 diopters (sp?). Real coke bottles on the glasses. Best thing I ever did. I do not need reading glasses now (I can read the smallest of fonts) as Doc knew I had a job that required reading and screens, so he cut them accordingly. Slight near-sided in each eye. I did not opt for the mono vision deal (one eye near, one eye far).
I use glasses to drive, but do not need them, can easily pass DMV without optic aid. They just clear up distances a little better. Great experience. Doc was at UC Irvine Medical, private practice now.

PaPaG
09-20-2007, 03:50 PM
No this will not self repair. going on tue for repair i hope. the surg was no pain at all took 1 minute per eye then out the door easyest surgery ever just looked like fireworks in your eye for 1 minute.not to be scared of just 1 thing 1 in 5 need touch up and thats in price.
Hey I know a guy named Andrew that can probably fix them for you, what his number? I just hope they don't leak after you get them fixed...:eek: :eek:

572Daytona
09-20-2007, 04:07 PM
572, over 40 here. Had mine done 6 years ago, just turned 50. Was minus 5.5 diopters (sp?). Real coke bottles on the glasses. Best thing I ever did. I do not need reading glasses now (I can read the smallest of fonts) as Doc knew I had a job that required reading and screens, so he cut them accordingly. Slight near-sided in each eye. I did not opt for the mono vision deal (one eye near, one eye far).
I use glasses to drive, but do not need them, can easily pass DMV without optic aid. They just clear up distances a little better. Great experience. Doc was at UC Irvine Medical, private practice now.
Thanks for that info. Do you know what your distance vision is now without the glasses? The DMV tests aren't usually that much of a stickler for it. One of the things I'm fighting is that with my contacts my far vision is 20-15 and it bothers me when they try to reduce that in order to help out my near sight. I'm used to reading things at a distance while driving since I've been doing it for so many years now. I also don't like wearing glasses while driving since they cut down on peripheral vision. Do you still have your near vision with your glasses on? I'm wondering if I could have them correct the near vision with lasik and continue to use contacts for my far vision?

77charger
09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
have thought about it but sticking to contacts.IMO you only get one set of eyes and with surgery i dont want to be that very small percentage where if something can go wrong it can go wrong.
been wearing contacts for about15-16 years at first i was cautious about everything but now waterski,swim,dive,go to glamis and get dusted,ride street bikes and raced drag boats with only losing one set over the whole time they dont stick well at 95 mph in a boat without sunglasses(and when it happened i didnt have a spare set)Now have a spare set everywhere i go besides that i dont even know i have them on real comfy
forgot to add with out them i can only see clearly about 1 ft but can see the smallest of print too with or without under a foot

Devil's Advocate
09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
110% worth it. :)
Had mine done a few years back. I had horrible vision with astigmatism and had worn glasses and contacts my whole life. It was amazing to actually see clearly (even clearer then with contacts) after all that time.
I came out 20/15 I think after the procedure. I do think my vision has slipped some since and I may need a little touch up zap sometime.

Wicky
09-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Rob, from what I have been told (by the doc) nobody has ever gone blind from the procedure.
I have to give major kudos to the first person who had big enough balls to be the guinee pig for the procedure.

WishIknew
09-20-2007, 04:46 PM
over 50 the only reason i did this was because my mono vision contacts could not be made any stronger liked the contacts just fine for 8 years

PaPaG
09-20-2007, 07:54 PM
over 50 the only reason i did this was because my mono vision contacts could not be made any stronger liked the contacts just fine for 8 years
But could you put them in by yourself :D

Beer-30
09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
You'll get varying results. No two eyes are the same, so it will affect us all differently.
My sister is an eye doctor (Optometrist) and has filled me in on the nature of it all.
Everyone will lose some degree of their depth perception. Nature of the beast. Some will come out happy as a clam. Some will need glasses again within a year. Eyeballs are constantly changing. Maybe a year, maybe ten, a person will need another surgery to correct or just start back with glasses/contacts as before.
Nothing's free.

WishIknew
09-21-2007, 10:22 PM
But could you put them in by yourself :D
NO But i still liked them

WishIknew
09-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Rio now is the time step up its all good no risk no glory!!!! made over 700 posts no bad for a newbie????????

PaPaG
09-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Rio now is the time step up its all good no risk no glory!!!! made over 700 posts no bad for a newbie????????
Isn't your next surgery on tuesday? wish you luck bud...

WishIknew
09-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Isn't your next surgery on tuesday? wish you luck bud...
Tuesday it is blind after that What Ever!!!!! Just want a ride in Jackpunx boat!!!!!

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Tuesday it is blind after that What Ever!!!!! Just want a ride in Jackpunx boat!!!!!
Yep just think that may be the last day you may vision, wife might have to stand next to you pushing the buttons when trying to get paper :eek:
GOOD LUCK Tuesday :D

ratso
09-22-2007, 07:13 AM
I had Lasik done almost two years ago... eyes were terrible. I'm happy with the results, although it is hard to see real close up, and as far as wiring or troubleshooting say under a boat dash, may as well forget it.

Mattman
09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Dr. Tooma in Newport did mine about 5 years ago. Best thing ever!!

WishIknew
09-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Dr. Tooma in Newport did mine about 5 years ago. Best thing ever!!
Well we will see on tuesday!!!!! Literally!!!!!

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 10:29 PM
Well we will see on tuesday!!!!! Literally!!!!!
Forget the doc, lets go boating instead...seeing is over rated anyway :D

WishIknew
09-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Forget the doc, lets go boating instead...seeing is over rated anyway :D
Im not a drunk boater just a blind boater:eek: :eek: :eek:

John.
09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
very glad i got lasik done. had it done almost 4 years ago and I remember looking at everything differently. I was always trying to see how far i could be to see roadsigns and such. greatest gift I've gotten from my wife...next to the blender of course.

PaPaG
09-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Im not a drunk boater just a blind boater:eek: :eek: :eek:
Hopefully not for long...:D

WishIknew
10-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Well went in for touch up in both eyes a little harder than first time and now have 20/20 vision so after warranty work DR TOOMA steped up and did a kick ass job

Mattman
10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Good to hear. Now you truly can "see the light".

The Doctor
10-03-2007, 08:58 PM
Well went in for touch up in both eyes a little harder than first time and now have 20/20 vision so after warranty work DR TOOMA steped up and did a kick ass job
That is awesome news! Congratulations!

PaPaG
10-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Wow, glad you can now see.....gotta work on that problem and you will be set..... :D :eek: :D

Wicky
10-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Just had my my 2 month check up yeterday. Flaps are completely healed. 20-15 vision. Doc said I could return to all activities including underwater muff diving!!:D

WishIknew
10-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Just had my my 2 month check up yeterday. Flaps are completely healed. 20-15 vision. Doc said I could return to all activities including underwater muff diving!!:D
Congrats on the NEW eyes seeing is a good thing:) :) :)