PDA

View Full Version : Wrench Rats new twin turbo system....!!

BOOGEYMAN
09-19-2007, 08:58 PM
This is more so car related but Steve can build turbo parts for anything and this set up would sure look nice in a boat and I think would fit just fine in some applications!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a new prototype design twin turbo system built and fabricated by Steve Burg, Owner and founder of www.wrenchrat.com. This set up is very clean and nicley tucked away as you can see in the pic's! The turbos are 61mm ball bearing units from precision and have water cooled bearing housings. All satinless steel construction on all the hot parts, and aluminum on the cold parts. It utilizes a CSU 750 from Kevin and a water/meth kit from snows.
I will let Steve or Brian chime in on the rest but he is looking to see what interest people have in this system, it fits most chevelle's...novas(68 to 76)...camaros...and much more. He is looking to sell it in 3 stages....
1-All hot parts with turbos, wastegates, etc....
2-same as above but with the cold side piping, Carb, intake, hat, water/meth kit and complete fuel system!!
3-You could purchase the engire set up with the engine to go along with it, just bolt it all in set the timing and start boosting!!
Steve expects this system to make 1,000 hp at the flywheel on pump gas, the engine is a 383 sbc!
Enjoy and lets hear some comments!!!
Thanks guys.
Travis.

Unchained
09-20-2007, 03:31 AM
That is real trick the way he ran the turbo exhaust pipe through the primary tube bends. I've made turbo headers and it's one of the most difficult fabricating jobs ever. Some have been successful at pressurizing the carbs but I'm still sold on EFI.

BOOGEYMAN
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Ya steve has a lot of patience and his work always somes out nice!! We have a few efi guys and blow through guys around our area. Did you catch any of drag week last week? They do 5 states, 5 tracks and 5 days for a total of like 1200 miles or something with 4 passes at each track
There was a 67 camaro with a 580 inch engine with a F3 procharger and a blow through single carb and ran 7.60's to 7.80's at every track at this event and made all the street driving to the tracks, he was even pulling his own enclosed trailer with spare tires and what not!!
Travis

Unchained
09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
It's incredible what performance their getting out of a streetable vehicle now.
Back in the early 70's when I went to the drags a lot, Pro stockers were running in the 8's and funny cars in the 6's and we thought that was awesome performance.

BOOGEYMAN
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Here is the car on Steve's front page......
http://www.stevemorrisracingengines.com/
Travis

N281PONY
09-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Sweet looking setup. Is there anything kind of support for the turbos or just using the headers. If not you might want to add some supports. Especially if its a street driven vehicle. With the weight and vibration you'll have problems.

BOOGEYMAN
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM
With the header, downpipe and cold side being all close togeather it wont be a problem, you would be suprised how solid it is. We have run quite a few other set ups this way, some actually alot furter out in front and have never had any problems.
Travis

MikeF
09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Very cool! I see where I'd make some different changes, but I do like it and have not really ever thought of doing it that way.
:D

Unchained
09-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I see in the pictures where he cut segments out and made a large radius bend in some of the primary tubes.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39601&d=1190264236
That goes to show the difficulties involved with fabricating turbo headers.
It's almost impossible to not have some short segments in a few places.
Blending bends into each other and making it look good is tough.
I see where he used kind of a Tri-Y design on the primary tubes which solved the problem of merging 4 tubes into the turbine inlet flange. That was a good idea.
I made them all come together at the flange to keep the tubes separated and I used J bends to cut down the amount of weld joints.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/220busbysturboheaders1.JPG

BOOGEYMAN
09-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Great post unchained!!!
Yes steve did have to cheat a few radius' to make all the tubes cemetrical and flow togeather, a lot of time there as you know! Once the desgin is final it will go to a place to have all the dementions measured with a lazer and burned into a program. After that the header tubes will be bent on a program and no more cuting segments and it will have less than half the welds it does now.
The tri-y is something steve thought would be different and at the same time cut down cost on an expensive 4 to 1 collector, I like the look and it will work just fine!
Thanks for your input!
Travis

Boostedballs
09-22-2007, 12:00 PM
SWEET setup!
This setup will rock in an auto drag car but if it's on the street I would suggest a bigger carb hat with a BOV and priority valve at the back of it. This way, the BOV will not let your carb overpressurize when you close the butterflies. -And- The priority valve will keep the pressure in the carb hat from going too much negative when you stomp the gas from idle. This will all but eliminate the turbo lag.
Maybe direct-port water/alky injection on the manifold to maximize your timing and keep your head gaskets intact.
You are further along than I am with my single-turbo injected LT1 in my 1975 Monza.
Please link us to some vids when you get her on the dyno!

BOOGEYMAN
09-22-2007, 01:53 PM
SWEET setup!
This setup will rock in an auto drag car but if it's on the street I would suggest a bigger carb hat with a BOV and priority valve at the back of it. This way, the BOV will not let your carb overpressurize when you close the butterflies. -And- The priority valve will keep the pressure in the carb hat from going too much negative when you stomp the gas from idle. This will all but eliminate the turbo lag.
Maybe direct-port water/alky injection on the manifold to maximize your timing and keep your head gaskets intact.
You are further along than I am with my single-turbo injected LT1 in my 1975 Monza.
Please link us to some vids when you get her on the dyno!
Thats a csu hat and besides the on from Gordon at extrene velocity its the best hat on the market right now, those hats have flowed enough for 2,000 hp with a single CSU built 850 holley!
Right where the two charge pipes come togeather just before the hat there is a B.O.V right there....
The carbs now run BRPV'S (boost referenced power valves) wich allows the carb to meter the fuel much better when the go pedal is stomped down, getting rid of the rich condition from an idle wich is great fro any lag....
With the turbo's being on 61's, the carb set up right and the converter being matched to everything we never have any problems with lag at all.
On the bottom side of the merge of the two charge pipes just before the hat there is a water/meth kit from snows taped in right there and the tank and pump are mounted in the trunk.
Thanks
Travis