PDA

View Full Version : Havasu Child Dies......

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Havasu youth dies from rare amoeba at lake
By DAVID BELL
Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:34 PM MST
An amoeba is believed to be the cause of death of a 14-year-old Lake Havasu City boy this past weekend.
The Mohave County Department of Public Health is working with the Arizona Department of Health Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to determine whether Naegleria fowleri in Lake Havasu killed Aaron Evans by causing primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a brain inflammation that leads to the destruction of brain tissue.
“Right now, we’re waiting for lab confirmation from the CDC,” Mohave County spokesman Darryle Purcell said.
CDC testing results are expected to be made available by Monday.
Naegleria is a free-living amoeba found in water and soil worldwide. ItÂ’s most commonly found in warm areas of shallow water that experiences little flow or current.
Only the species Naegleria fowleri can infect humans and even then, itÂ’s rare because infection occurs when the amoeba enters the nose, generally when a person is swimming underwater or diving. The infection cannot be spread person-to-person.
David Evans, AaronÂ’s father, said he and his sons were swimming at Windsor Beach 4 on Sept. 8. About a week later, Aaron showed signs of coming down with a cold or flu bug.
“Saturday (Sept. 15), he woke up with a headache and a little fever. He took a nap and it got a little better, but then at night it got worse,” Evans said. “When he woke up the next morning it was worse again, so we took him to the hospital. That was at 7:30 a.m. By 11 a.m., they were (air evacuating) him to Sunrise Hospital in Las Vegas. They thought he had meningitis.”
Testing of AaronÂ’s spinal fluid after his death indicated the rare Naegleria infection.
Health officials said symptoms can take one to 14 days to occur. Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and a stiff neck.
Death occurs generally in three to seven days. Drug treatment has proven effective in laboratory testing but not in people.
Lake Havasu City spokesman Charlie Cassens said the county notified the city of the death Tuesday evening. Because the county health department stressed there is no public health risk at this time and the odds against infection are great, there isnÂ’t much the city can do.
“First, county health is the lead agency on something like this. But the city posting warning signs at the lake isn’t prudent without more information,” Cassens said. “The people should not be afraid of the lake. The chances of an encounter like this are astronomical.”
According to the CDC, only 23 people died in the United States of Naegleria infection from 1995 to 2004.
But David Evans said the city should do something to prevent other families from experiencing the pain he and his family is experiencing.
“The city can do things to treat the lake but the city won’t. It’s all about money,” he said. “If they have to, shut the lake down. Going out on the lake isn’t that important. And it’s better than another child dying.”
Evans is not the only one critical of the situation. Mohave County Supervisor Buster Johnson, R-Lake Havasu City, is upset with the countyÂ’s handling of the information, waiting three days before letting the public know. And, he said as of 5 p.m. Wednesday, he still hadnÂ’t been officially informed of the health issue occurring in his district.
“Why was this information kept from the public? I have no idea why it was withheld,” Johnson said. “If the public is notified and explained it is not an epidemic, it can’t be spread person-to-person, it forestalls panic. More information for the public is always better.”
Purcell said information was shared when confirmation was made. “We don’t go to the public with assumptions,” he said.
Purcell, Johnson and Cassens all agreed AaronÂ’s death was a tragedy and expressed the countyÂ’s and cityÂ’s condolences to the family.
“There was no reason for him to die the way he did,” David Evans said. “He had his whole life ahead of him. Why not take me instead?”
Aaron Evans was a freshman at Lake Havasu High School and his death was announced Wednesday to students. School officials brought in Hospice of Havasu grief counselors to assist students in working through the situation.
“Parents, if you’ve been swimming and your child has a headache, take them to the hospital, don’t wait,” David Evans said. “I want to prevent other families from having to go through this.”

SandbarScot
09-20-2007, 02:30 AM
This is a sad story. I think the water temp on the lake may have started to drop already. Hopefully the risk of this amoeba has vanished with the warm temps...until next year that is.

uvindex
09-20-2007, 03:29 AM
Very sad news.
Two kids have died in central Florida in the last month or so from the same thing: http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2007/9/5/2nd_central_florida_boy_dies_of_amoeba_infection.h tml

R.A.D.man
09-20-2007, 04:01 AM
Same thing here in Texas at Lake LBJ. 2 deaths, a kid and a teenager this summer. Yesterday, a notice/warning went out about this for Lakes LBJ, Bastrop and Fayette. All 3 have power plants on them, so the waters can be extremely hot in the summer especially on the latter 2 which are much smaller and can have water temperatures at or above 100 degrees in some areas and in the mid nineties all over during the summer.

RitcheyRch
09-20-2007, 05:06 AM
Very sad news.

Riveratz
09-20-2007, 05:20 AM
Very sad news indeed as I have a 3yr old that loves the water. Hopefully like what was stated earlier the temps are down so maybe it is gone.

MBlaster
09-20-2007, 06:33 AM
My God that is frightening!
The poor kid, rest his soul.:(
I thought we only had to worry about the drunk boaters...now this:eek:

lalhc
09-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Wow, shocking & sad news. I have never heard anything like this other than drinking un-treated water from a lake and getting parasites.

JetBoatRich
09-20-2007, 06:39 AM
That is scarey, RIP AAron

HocusPocus
09-20-2007, 06:39 AM
thats sad for sure, here are some facts about it from the CDC website. (http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/naegleria/factsht_naegleria.htm)

Not So Fast
09-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Add to this situation the amount of human pollution that the channel just has to have in it on a busy weekend, any weekend, is a big reason to stay out of there IMO. The circulation is almost negligeable (sp), try putting a leaf or a twig, something in the water and except for the wind it dont go far or not enough for me. That is unless Kilr comes thru:D NSF

Partycattin
09-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Is this the same thing that people have been worried about at Buena Vista Lake in Bakersfield?

Baja Big Dog
09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
Add to this situation the amount of human pollution that the channel just has to have in it on a busy weekend, any weekend, is a big reason to stay out of there IMO. The circulation is almost negligeable (sp), try putting a leaf or a twig, something in the water and except for the wind it dont go far or not enough for me. That is unless Kilr comes thru:D NSF
This story just sucks, what an ordeal for the child and the family!!
Bad water in the channel always scared me.
How about Disneyland???

Miss Perfect
09-20-2007, 07:47 AM
That is really sad. I remember last year maybe there was a similar case about a San Diego kid that died from swimming in one of our local lakes.

Outnumbered
09-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Guess where Lake Pleasant water comes from boys and girls?............That's right, Lake Havasu.
This seems a little more common than they may lead you to believe. Do you remember this story?
Amoeba-related illness kills boy
Brent Whiting
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 1, 2006 12:00 AM
A 6-year-old Buckeye boy got deathly ill Aug. 18, five days after a water outing at Lake Pleasant with members of his family.
Jacob Thompson, who suffered flulike symptoms, was airlifted to Maricopa Medical Center, where he died two days later.
Now, according to Rachel and Robert Thompson, the boy's divorced parents, officials have related that Jacob was the victim of a rare amoeba-related illness that was likely contracted at the lake. advertisement
The death was blamed on Naegleria fowleri, an amoeba that causes meningoencephalitis, a generally fatal infection involving the central nervous system.
"We're devastated," said Rachel Thompson, 27. "Knowing why Jacob died doesn't help with the loss, but it makes it a little easier to deal with his death."
Robert Thompson, 32, agreed, saying it provides a degree of closure to know the underlying reason for Jacob's passing.
Both described Jacob, a first-grader at Palo Verde Elementary School, as an active boy who loved to ride a four-wheel all-terrain vehicle and play video games.
Palo Verde Principal Robert Aldridge said it was difficult for school workers and students to deal with Jacob's death.
"It was very sad news," he said. "We brought in counselors for the students."
Dr. Bob England, acting director of the Maricopa County Department of Public Health, said the law prevents him from discussing specific patients.
However, England said he can confirm that a Valley boy died during August of an amoeba-related illness. The cause of death was verified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, he said.
"I can say this child, in fact, had a history of swimming in fresh lakes," he said.
England described the amoebic illness as a "one-in a million-type rare disease."
It's usually associated with activities in non-chlorinated, warm, natural and fresh water, such as lakes, England said.
"It's one of those things," he said. "It's a very unfortunate individual who ends up getting infected."
There are about 10 reported cases a year in the United States, usually in Sun Belt states from Florida to California, he said.
There have been five reported cases in Arizona, including two involving West Valley boys who died in October 2002 and the latest, England said.
The 2002 deaths occurred when Davy Luna of Glendale and Zach Stalls of Peoria, both 5, died after inhaling well water linked to a Peoria-area water company.
England said that nationally these are the only paired cases, as well as the only ones involving other than lake water.

Not So Fast
09-20-2007, 07:54 AM
This story just sucks, what an ordeal for the child and the family!!
Bad water in the channel always scared me.
How about Disneyland???
Yup, think about all the people in that one small place and how many you see going to the bathrooms, not that many. Rumor had it last year that women were getting infections "vay down there", of course I heard this from my DIL who heard it from a customer at the hair place who had a huband that worked with a guy who had a friend on the city water dept, and he heard it from:D A rumor is a rumor.
Please, I dont want to take away from the very sad and scary intention of this thread because it has me very concerned what with grand kids that use this lake. My condolences and prayers to that family:( NSF

BajaMike
09-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Scary.....

jjk94
09-20-2007, 08:07 AM
All the info says warm water.. What temperature is considered to be warm. Even the CDC info says warm water

Big Warlock
09-20-2007, 08:07 AM
My heart goes out to the family. This has been around a long time. Signs posted on the upper part of Mohave at all of the springs there.

Ziggy
09-20-2007, 08:15 AM
You can bet your horses that I'll be monitoring my child after swimming at Windsor4 over the weekend.......

westair
09-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Very very sad. This seems to get little attention since it was not a drunk boating accident.

franky
09-20-2007, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=Outnumbered;2799073]Guess where Lake Pleasant water comes from boys and girls?............That's right, Lake Havasu.
Really?? How does that work? Just curious

Outnumbered
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Outnumbered;2799073]Guess where Lake Pleasant water comes from boys and girls?............That's right, Lake Havasu.
Really?? How does that work? Just curious
CAP canal system. Central Arizona Project.
There is a small river (Agua Fria) and a few streams that feed the lake too, but the CAP canal is the main source.

cxr133
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Health officials said symptoms can take one to 14 days to occur. Symptoms include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting
goddamnit... my 16 year old had these same symptoms after our last river trip labor day weekend. we thought it was bad taco bell..
then this week my wife has some kind of bacterial infection that we thought was STREP throat ( but was negative for strep) and I had some kind of PINK EYE going on this week...
i bet this all the same infection from this dirty little bug!!! i bet we have some type of havasu bacterial infection.

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 10:40 AM
A friend of mine fell off the boat backwards in the channel at Havasu while playing around with his wife. As he fell off he gulped a bit of water. Within a week he had a huge kind of pimple thing on his neck and it was there for 2-3 weeks. It looked terrible and was all full of puss that would ooze out :jawdrop:
Ya, Havsu is the place to be!

CornWater
09-20-2007, 11:02 AM
This is a family friend of ours.. Sad, shitty situation to say the least.
:(

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 11:10 AM
This is a family friend of ours.. Sad, shitty situation to say the least.
:(
Sorry to hear that. RIP

Quest4Fun
09-20-2007, 11:14 AM
This really is quite tragic, and apparently not as rare as one might think.
This boy was in my son's English class this year and although he didn't know Aaron well, he said he was a nice and funny kid. RIP Aaron and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

cxr133
09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
A friend of mine fell off the boat backwards in the channel at Havasu while playing around with his wife. As he fell off he gulped a bit of water. Within a week he had a huge kind of pimple thing on his neck and it was there for 2-3 weeks. It looked terrible and was all full of puss that would ooze out :jawdrop:
Ya, Havsu is the place to be!
WTF.. that is the same exact thing my wife has!!!
ewwww............. HAVASU water is dirrrrty!!

franky
09-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, this is sad. Everyone should stay away from Havisu for thier own good. Now and in the future:)

Havasu1
09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I just got back from a trip back east and the story about the boy who died in Florida was all over the news. They said the only way to protect your kids from getting this is with a nose plug as that is the way the amoeba (it resides in the sand in the water) gets in. Very scary as I have a three year old that loves the water.

cxr133
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I just got back from a trip back east and the story about the boy who died in Florida was all over the news. They said the only way to protect your kids from getting this is with a nose plug as that is the way the amoeba (it resides in the sand in the water) gets in. Very scary as I have a three year old that loves the water.
My wife called the Department of Health in Lake Havasu, they talked to her for like 45 minutes and will be getting back to her.. i will keep you guys updated:
BTW: if anyone had similar symptoms heres the phone number: 928-753-0714 lisa ext 4168

Miss Perfect
09-20-2007, 01:19 PM
My wife called the Department of Health in Lake Havasu, they talked to her for like 45 minutes and will be getting back to her.. i will keep you guys updated:
BTW: if anyone had similar symptoms heres the phone number: 928-753-0714 lisa ext 4168
Geez that is scary. I hope your wife feels better soon.