PDA

View Full Version : My cousin's update

catalinaskiracer
02-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey all! I know it's been a while scince you have heard an update on my cousin and while his site was up I want to thank all who offered their thaughts and prayers for him and his family. I don't know if you have been keeping up with him on his web site, http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/mikemcgookin
but here it is....He and and his family have moved to Utah, temporarally, about 2 months ago, this put him very high uo on the liver transplant list at LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT
8th Ave and C Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84143
United States
there has been a few struggles, one is that Kaiser, his hospital here and California based has declined both appeals on behalf of the family to cover my cousins surgery in Utah. My cousin and family opted to go anyway...the surgery alone will cost the them $150,000 that doesn't include hospital time, drugs etc. so you can only imagine! Last, 2/24/06 my cousin was had to be air lifted form were he was staying in Utah to LDS due to internal bleeding and other compications. The good news is he is stabble today and is what they call a "code red' which means the next available liver will be his! It is now just a waiting game. I just wanted to update you all because when I first posted this everyone was so responsive! and to all that went on the site and dropped him a note THANK YOU! it really means alot to him! I have also put out a groupe e-mail if any one would like to donate anything to help him and his family, I, as would them, apprieciate it. As of now the family has to pay for this out of thier own pocket due to the Kaiser declining 2 appiels because the opted to go out of state to better his chancs. You got to love buracracey! If anyone would like to make any kind of donation you can send it to 1555 mesa verde east #44B Costa Mesa, Ca. 92626, in care of Mike McGookin. Again I thank you all and if at best you just vist the site above and drop him a line that would mean the alot to both him and I! Thank you all for your support!
GeryS.

life's a river
02-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Gery, thanks for the update. Our thoughts and prayer's go out to Mike and his family. What do you think about doing some kind of a fund raiser for the family? It seems like total BS that insurance will not work in a different state. :mad:
PK

catalinaskiracer
02-26-2006, 01:08 PM
PK! Thanks for the thaughts and prayers it means alot t myself, Mike and his entire family! A fund raiser would be great! I don't really have any ideas but if you do I am open! I have just been e-mailing everyone I know with updates, my cousins web site and asking for support and help. I just want to do what ever I can to get him and his family through this. If you have any suggestions let's talk. Again thank you all for the support and response! Even if you just visit the web site and sign his guest book it means ALLOT!
Gery S

life's a river
02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
WTF! 125 views and only 2 post's. Come on people. This is a fellow boater and marathon ski racer in need of some help and prayers. I have never personaly met Mike, just raced against him once. ( I think he beat me )
There are some people on here that have some details on how to get the wrist bands made or have a BBQ at a local park. Maybe a boating get together? Any ideas from other ***boat members?
PK

Kim Hanson
02-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey all! I know it's been a while scince you have heard an update on my cousin and while his site was up I want to thank all who offered their thaughts and prayers for him and his family. I don't know if you have been keeping up with him on his web site, http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/mikemcgookin
but here it is....He and and his family have moved to Utah, temporarally, about 2 months ago, this put him very high uo on the liver transplant list at LDS Hospital, Salt Lake City, UT
8th Ave and C Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84143
United States
there has been a few struggles, one is that Kaiser, his hospital here and California based has declined both appeals on behalf of the family to cover my cousins surgery in Utah. My cousin and family opted to go anyway...the surgery alone will cost the them $150,000 that doesn't include hospital time, drugs etc. so you can only imagine! Last, 2/24/06 my cousin was had to be air lifted form were he was staying in Utah to LDS due to internal bleeding and other compications. The good news is he is stabble today and is what they call a "code red' which means the next available liver will be his! It is now just a waiting game. I just wanted to update you all because when I first posted this everyone was so responsive! and to all that went on the site and dropped him a note THANK YOU! it really means alot to him! I have also put out a groupe e-mail if any one would like to donate anything to help him and his family, I, as would them, apprieciate it. As of now the family has to pay for this out of thier own pocket due to the Kaiser declining 2 appiels because the opted to go out of state to better his chancs. You got to love buracracey! If anyone would like to make any kind of donation you can send it to 1555 mesa verde east #44B Costa Mesa, Ca. 92626, in care of Mike McGookin. Again I thank you all and if at best you just vist the site above and drop him a line that would mean the alot to both him and I! Thank you all for your support!
GeryS.
Thought and prayers to him and I will donate, someone has to get the ball rolling :cool: ......( . )( . ).........

NorCal Gameshow
02-26-2006, 04:16 PM
here's the address:1555 mesa verde east #44B Costa Mesa, Ca. 92626,in care of Mike McGookin
let's get it done...
Edit--> Cash is king

catalinaskiracer
02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Paul! Thanks for the support! Your GREAT! To everyone else that has responded the same! I had lunch with Mike's sister today and he is doing better but still no liver! The wait goes on but the bleeding is stopped and he is awake! To all that have responded and continue to respond here and on his site I really can't Thank you all enough!!! I am going to continue to campaign and any help will be be appriciated more then I could say here! Even if all it is is dropping by his site and leaving him a message, he really likes that! His wife, Kelli reads it to him daily. Again I just want to thank everyone and I will try to keep you updated as best I can on how things are progressing! If anyone needs to contact me directly rather then posting as far as ideas or any thing I can reached at cell- 714-697-9216 or
home-714-444-3084.
Thansks!
Gery S.

RiverToysJas
02-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the updated Gery! My thoughts and prayers are with Mike and his family, as always. Hopefully the move will be the blessing he's been waiting for.
Jas :D

catalinaskiracer
02-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Jas, thanks for the thaughts and prayers as always!
GS

OGShocker
02-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Gery,
I drive by Performance everyday and everyday I think of Mike. The time Rat and I towed Mike to Catalina will always be one of my life's best memories.
I have not met a kinder, more giving person than Mike. He and his family are and forever shall be in our prayers.
Mark

Flashover
02-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Bump..
I can see LDS from my work. it is a great place. they will take very good care of him. best wishes.