PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone actually sell their boat?

No Name
09-20-2007, 09:51 AM
I know that itÂ’s the end of the season for most people but I have seen the same boats for sale for a long time and they donÂ’t seem to be moving. Is it just used boats that are not selling or are new sales dead as well?

phebus
09-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Tough market for sure, but quality items at a good price will always sell. You sold yours exactly for that reason.
Besides, with the season winding down, who wants to buy now and have it sit for five or six months before you can really use it, unless you stole it.

Jbb
09-20-2007, 10:00 AM
not yet....:)

RiverDave
09-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Tough market for sure, but quality items at a good price will always sell. You sold yours exactly for that reason.
Besides, with the season winding down, who wants to buy now and have it sit for five or six months before you can really use it, unless you stole it.
I dunno about that John & Michelle are trying to sell "Pure Platinum" for like 60K right now?? That's an 80,000 dollar boat even on a slow day.. Seems to me not much if anything is selling.
RD

River Lynchmob
09-20-2007, 10:20 AM
Things may not be selling well but it sure is a good time to buy :D

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 10:23 AM
The market dictates price and I am afraid people have to be realistic in their pricing these days. Bad time to sell right now and an excellant time to buy.

No Name
09-20-2007, 10:24 AM
unless you stole it.
ThatÂ’s what IÂ’m waiting forÂ…Â…:D
I would like to find a two to three year old 30Â’ Daytona with twins for under 100K. I have found a couple deals that are close but not there yet. IÂ’m just going to sit back and wait and see what happens in the near future.

Outnumbered
09-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Sold mine in 2-3 weeks for full asking price which was right at NADA retail. It was a Cobalt and they seem to have great re-sale everywhere but here on the west coast. I had people calling from all over the country. Sold it to a guy in Colorado. It was immaculate too, which didn't hurt at all.:D

ChumpChange
09-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Haven't sold mine yet and unfortunately haven't used it this year either. :(

yopengo
09-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I sold our old boat for my asking price earlier in the season. I think itÂ’s the 90k + boats that are taking the big hit.

Rock-it man
09-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Will be making a great deal on our DEMO boat soon and will gladley take a trade in .Have two other boats in progress. Will be at SCOPE for rides . Will place in classifieds later today. I mean a REAL DEAL !!!!!!.
Thanks Wayne
Liquid Technologies

Classic Daycruiser
09-20-2007, 10:43 AM
Resale on boats, cars, planes and toys are never a good thing in good or bad times, unless you can provide a finance package that goes along with it.
I bought a 15 foot laser sailboat for $200 (with trailer) off of craig's list from some guy that was getting his house repossesed (foreclosure). I was the only person to give him an offer. He was asking $850.
Now I'm stuck with another boat in the backyard (but this one does not use gas)

Froggystyle
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
We are in a strange position where we aren't having any problem attracting buyers, but all of the buyers have used boats for sale that they need to move before being able to purchase new.
Most are over $100K used as well... or right around there. Worth it, but not getting it at all right now.

Jbb
09-20-2007, 10:48 AM
We are in a strange position where we aren't having any problem attracting buyers, but all of the buyers have used boats for sale that they need to move before being able to purchase new.
Most are over $100K used as well... or right around there. Worth it, but not getting it at all right now.
Green Bastard!!

Froggystyle
09-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Green Bastard!!
Parts unknown!!!

Jbb
09-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Parts unknown!!!
Proper....

TheCarDudes
09-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Sold the Daytona. It took a few months but it is gone. Somewhere in the midwest.

MikaylaHunterCig
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
A little action on my Dayotna but no money yet.
I still love using it so i might have to wait a bit for a real buyer to step up.

Garrddogg
09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Plus I heard the guy that bought his boat accually had his eye on it from the previous seller too:D .. but just a rumor!:D :eek: :idea:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-20-2007, 11:00 AM
We sold our 2006 430 Hp, half-mile-per-gallon, POS Speedster in July.
Lots of people called on it. Most that made offers were buying with a equity line, they told us because they were using one of their equity line checks. Sold the nite the ad hit for about $4k under the reality book price.
I consider myself lucky for moving it.
We ordered a new, loaded WB boat. What used to be a 12 to 16 week wait was about 4 weeks and it was shipped from Texas. I'd say they're pretty slow.
MSRP was $68K with every possible option and a sound system that slows down the rotation of the earth,, we got it delivered also with the finest kine Extreem trailer w 2 spares $48K with no haggling at all.
Dealer was overflowing with new stock, and they never had any new boats in stock in the 8 years I've dealt with them.

No Name
09-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Plus I heard the guy that bought his boat accually had his eye on it from the previous seller too:D .. but just a rumor!:D :eek: :idea:
And I'll bet that guy got a few more upgrades and a little bit better of a price by waiting.:D :D

MRSDRMCAT
09-20-2007, 11:03 AM
I feel soooo lucky that we sold ours!! With the economy the way it is. WHEEEWWWW!!!!

Nord
09-20-2007, 11:08 AM
I found an Eliminator 30 with twin 500's for mid 60's. I am going to put my boat up for sale in the next couple of weeks. I am not very motivated to sell my boat as I love it and really don't need to replace it. I am going to put it up for sale at a good price and see what happens. I just need to come up with a price. I have a Eliminator 236 eagle that is meticulously maintained. It has a 502mag, external steering, through transom exhaust;) :D , and a nice stereo. If you rated the boat, it would be almost excellent.
The "selling" price range for my size of boat hasn't really gotten hit as hard as the big dogs, but I will come up with a realistic price:)
~NORD~

SOCALDETAIL1
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Pricing is everything! If it's a good deal it's going to move. If you are trying to make a profit forget it. I have a few customers that sold their boats to upgrade because the deals were really good. To get top dollar for your boat it has to be perfectly maintained and well presented (DETAILED) Then you have the upper hand. I have sold everything I have owned 3-5 years later for the same amount I bought it for, because I have all the maintinance reciepts and of course you can eat off it! Thats how clean they were:D

SOCALDETAIL1
09-20-2007, 11:12 AM
I found an Eliminator 30 with twin 500's for mid 60's. I am going to put my boat up for sale in the next couple of weeks. I am not very motivated to sell my boat as I love it and really don't need to replace it. I am going to put it up for sale at a good price and see what happens. I just need to come up with a price. I have a Eliminator 236 eagle that is meticulously maintained. It has a 502mag, external steering, through transom exhaust;) :D , and a nice stereo. If you rated the boat, it would be almost excellent.
The "selling" price range for my size of boat hasn't really gotten hit as hard as the big dogs, but I will come up with a realistic price:)
~NORD~
There you go UPGRADING. Right now is a great time.

Garrddogg
09-20-2007, 11:19 AM
And I'll bet that guy got a few more upgrades and a little bit better of a price by waiting.:D :D
Yes I think I heard that also, I heard he really likes it too!:D

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I just sold the Spectra :)

SOCALDETAIL1
09-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I just sold the Spectra :)
Damn case proven. Super clean boat. Congrats I love that boat.

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Damn case proven. Super clean boat. Congrats I love that boat.
Thanks...A guy from the PHX area is coming to pick it up this weekend while I am in Parker.

SOCALDETAIL1
09-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks...A guy from the PHX area is coming to pick it up this weekend while I am in Parker.
2 boats I detailed 3 weeks ago just sold this week:)

No Name
09-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Congrtas Tom. ThatÂ’s a clean boat and IÂ’m sure the new owner is going to be very happy.:)

Devil's Advocate
09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I know that itÂ’s the end of the season for most people but I have seen the same boats for sale for a long time and they donÂ’t seem to be moving. Is it just used boats that are not selling or are new sales dead as well?
Yeah, we sold ours, duh.:D :D

acatitude
09-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Yup not much moving in the high dollar market. There is a difference between priced right and giving it away... guess it depends on if you have to sell or not.
My howard NADA at 55k not including the bmax , stereo, and whatever you want to price the motor upgrade at.. so 75 is realistic, whether anyone wants to spend that much is there decision. I see 45k boats and below moving more then over 50 boats, but doesnt mean they arent worth it.. that carrera at 60 is the best deal on here, mine is second to that..
I agree the market dictates the price, but damn, new duramax's arent any cheaper either....oh well I have put a lot of fun hours on it this summer, and will next year also I guess...;)

hkunz
09-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Both our boats for sale have had lookers, but no buyers. Both way under that magic 100 K number, also under the 30k number:) Nice boats, but no offers, and way below NADA, too.

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Congrtas Tom. ThatÂ’s a clean boat and IÂ’m sure the new owner is going to be very happy.:)
Thank you and I hope so.

shadow
09-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Sold our boat in about 3 weeks @ 2 k under the asking price.;)

sleekcraft137
09-20-2007, 02:00 PM
yep, my boat sold. It's now a hozer up in ontario canada.

Nord
09-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Sold our boat in about 3 weeks @ 2 k under the asking price.;)
Didn't you buy a pontoon?

Jyruiz
09-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Yup not much moving in the high dollar market. There is a difference between priced right and giving it away... guess it depends on if you have to sell or not.
My howard NADA at 55k not including the bmax , stereo, and whatever you want to price the motor upgrade at.. so 75 is realistic, whether anyone wants to spend that much is there decision. I see 45k boats and below moving more then over 50 boats, but doesnt mean they arent worth it.. that carrera at 60 is the best deal on here, mine is second to that..
I agree the market dictates the price, but damn, new duramax's arent any cheaper either....oh well I have put a lot of fun hours on it this summer, and will next year also I guess...;)
I think Dans boat at 75k OBO is another smoking deal, probably second best next to the Carrera, maybe even be first.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163653

shadow
09-20-2007, 02:14 PM
Didn't you buy a pontoon?
Bennington Tritoon

Jyruiz
09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Bennington Tritoon
With a killer system and soon to have a TV/DVD in it.:)

DILLIGAF
The Spectra took 1 day when I decided to pull the trade off the table and just sale the damn thing :)

LOWRIVER2
Mine went in 2 weeks, for asking price. really depends on the price range, and type of boat it is. Family friendly, low cost (stock power) to operate boats always move faster in slow times as people factor in the actual operational costs over the "wow" factor of bigger engines/enhanced drives.
Just like the housing market, it will come around. Sand cars are in the same cycle, some great deals on otherwise expensive cars this year.

Kilrtoy
09-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Not sure who posted this , but DAMN
Hope this clears it up you nosey fockers who want to dump your focked up piles and can't.

Tequila-John
09-20-2007, 02:21 PM
we sold the cobra pretty quick

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Just bought a Harley. They wanted 7,500 for it and they sold it to me for $5,500. It is a 2001 883 with 600 original miles. YES 600 miles. It has upgrades on it like a corbin seat, $1k hard bags, windshield and some chrome. It is for my girl to ride. KBB set the price at 5K but I know the bike and the people that own it and it is immaculate and of course hardly ever gets ridden. It was just too good of a deal to pass up. They knew we wanted it but didn't want to spend the money they originally wanted. This will be a perfect bike for her to intially ride.
There are many deals out there right now for "luxury" items.
Here is a pic of it:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/bonniesbike006.jpg
They also own a bar in the Hollister area they are selling. Anybody want to buy that?

77charger
09-20-2007, 02:53 PM
the ones that get financed long term seem to always be overpriced for a used boat cause they too much or more than it is really worth IMO.
Alot of boats and toys for sale i am sure there are buyers who are waiting for the prices to drop more and still a number of ones who cant afford them.things are only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for them no matter how much bling a boat has.

phebus
09-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I sold a boat, and bought a boat. Hakuna Matata :D

acatitude
09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I think Dans boat at 75k OBO is another smoking deal, probably second best next to the Carrera, maybe even be first.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163653
says best offer over 75k, but yes if your happy with a 80 mph boat then thats a great deal.. its not close to the deal the carrera is imo:D

DAB
09-20-2007, 03:40 PM
I just sold mine in the past couple of weeks...:D

shockwavebd
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow congarts dave.....................what are you going to get now :D

DAB
09-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Wow congarts dave.....................what are you going to get now :D
Still thinkin, wtg to get out in Scott's...:D

Cole Trickle
09-20-2007, 03:48 PM
says best offer over 75k, but yes if your happy with a 80 mph boat then thats a great deal.. its not close to the deal the carrera is imo:D
The Daytona is 4 years newer and lets face it it's an eliminator.......
I think Pure Platinum is bar none the nicest Carrera on the planet but it's not a canopied Daytona:):)
I think both boats are a steal but the styling of the canopies do it for me personally.

acatitude
09-20-2007, 04:02 PM
The Daytona is 4 years newer and lets face it it's an eliminator.......
I think Pure Platinum is bar none the nicest Carrera on the planet but it's not a canopied Daytona:):)
I think both boats are a steal but the styling of the canopies do it for me personally.
its what one likes.... face it 110 in the carrera is much more fun then 80 in a canopied boat that doesnt need it at 80..... again just my opinion.. and its the second nicest carrera ive seen.... robbie racers takes 1st IMO....;)

Baja Big Dog
09-20-2007, 04:11 PM
If I were in the market to buy a boat, I would wait for at least 6 months. Im betting the market goes deeper in the shitter, like someone posted they stole a brand new boat, the inventory at dealers is probably high.\
Didn't some one say Magic had a few dozen boats ready to be rigged???:confused:

Devil's Advocate
09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Not sure who posted this , but DAMN
Hope this clears it up you nosey fockers who want to dump your focked up piles and can't.
I don't know what got into me.:D
I still meant it.:eek: :D

DILLIGAF
09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I just sold mine in the past couple of weeks...:D
It's about friggin' time.
Congrats on the sale!

Kilrtoy
09-20-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't know what got into me.:D
I still meant it.:eek: :D
I think he goes by the name of
MARK or FIANCE

Cole Trickle
09-20-2007, 05:25 PM
its what one likes.... face it 110 in the carrera is much more fun then 80 in a canopied boat that doesnt need it at 80..... again just my opinion.. and its the second nicest carrera ive seen.... robbie racers takes 1st IMO....;)
110 is a nice number
It would scare the crap out of me to own a boat with a 50K 6 y/o motor.
I guess I am a factory motor guy. And your about 7mph low on the eliminator;)

lawbreaker2
09-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok, Help me understand something here, Why are all you selling your boats for, I mean, maybe it's just me, but I buy something and keep it till it fall apart, Look at my wife,:rolleyes: Kidding:D Help me out here, I bought my 2000 F-250, 4x4 loaded, and I'm happy with it and only has 160,000 miles on it and is paid for, and my 99 f-150 4x4 is paid for, am I doing it all wrong.:idea:

acatitude
09-20-2007, 05:30 PM
110 is a nice number
It would scare the crap out of me to own a boat with a 50K 6 y/o motor.
I guess I am a factory motor guy. And your about 7mph low on the eliminator;)
oh dont be a hater and i dont know anyone with a 6 yr old 50k motor..
ok take your 87.. :D

acatitude
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok, Help me understand something here, Why are all you selling your boats for, I mean, maybe it's just me, but I buy something and keep it till it fall apart, Look at my wife,:rolleyes: Kidding:D Help me out here, I bought my 2000 F-250, 4x4 loaded, and I'm happy with it and only has 160,000 miles on it and is paid for, and my 99 f-150 4x4 is paid for, am I doing it all wrong.:idea:
nope your not doing it wrong.. cars and trucks are different.. I have 216k on my 97 gmc and still pull the boat anywheres with it .
Boats I think are a little different . I want a 34 cruiser, but I can't justify buying it and still having a whatever the value of my howard is sitting around . so I have to sell mine first. and cars and trucks you use all the time. boats are just toys, not neccessities.

Jyruiz
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
My bad on the best offer, but I am a stock motor guy and would feel better out on the water with it.

RaceFace
09-20-2007, 08:09 PM
I advertised my '21 Ultra LX in May...priced it well (then learned about NADA...and it came right in there) and it sold to the first person that came to Havi to look at it. It was only on the market for 2 weeks. I guess I got lucky.

Playinwithfyr
09-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Sold ours within a week and a half, it was a Sanger Wakeboard boat and seems as though everyone is the market for one of those. Actually made some money on it and used it for 4 seasons. We were lucky.;)

BadKachina
09-20-2007, 08:43 PM
ThatÂ’s what IÂ’m waiting forÂ…Â…:D
I would like to find a two to three year old 30Â’ Daytona with twins for under 100K. I have found a couple deals that are close but not there yet. IÂ’m just going to sit back and wait and see what happens in the near future.
Let me know when you're ready. I've got the fever too.........;)

SoCalSouthpaw
09-21-2007, 08:17 AM
I wasnt going to post this but what the hell. Im trying to sell my A.O. Never sold a boat before. I'm wondering the obvious, just looking for some experienced advice I guess. Is this a bad time to sell a boat? Being that summer is over? I dont think Im asking too much - I paid 49K for it 3 years ago - and since that time among some other things, most importantly I've put a new motor in it and better drive, some 250 more HP than when I bought it. Here's the link, give me your thoughts...
Thanks.
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/1999_26ft_nsx_very_clean_fast_well_kept_and_one_of _a_kind_nsx-o17629-en.html

Water Romper
09-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Haven't sold mine yet and unfortunately haven't used it this year either. :(
Ditto:( :( :(

Invisible Sun
09-21-2007, 09:26 AM
I set the price right and it sold within a month at the beginning of the season. This summer sucked without a boat!

HMF'er
09-21-2007, 10:22 AM
We sold ours to the first person that looked at it.

No Name
09-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Anyone else?

Lavey29
09-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Mine is still for sale. Came down from the original asking price due to market considerations. Let's face it, it's a buyers market and the sellers are going to take a hit on their end if they want a sale. I have made 10 trips with mine this season and enjoy the hell out of it so I am not under real pressure to sell although I do want the new deck boat for next season. When I bought mine, I found it on the internet in a random search, just lucky I guess so I am hoping something similar happens again or maybe I find someone in havasu this Thursday or Friday that wants a test ride and falls in love with the Lavey build and ride... 100mph and a few free beers what more could you ask for... :D

Ms.Havasu
10-01-2007, 05:06 PM
I think ours is priced right. It's a turn key (oops, maybe I shouldn't use that term around her) 100+ mph boat in excellent condition inside and out.(The carrera mentioned before) Low hours etc. Only one person looked at it and he didn't have quite enough money saved up. Offered to carry the difference and never heard back from him. I think you just have to be lucky to sell in this market in addition to priced right.
Just depends on who sees your ad and if it matches what they are looking for.
We have seen several boats sell that don't seem to be as nice as ours and yet ours just sits there. Maybe it's priced too low and people think there must be something wrong with it for that price. Who knows?
We have been looking for a smaller jet boat and a pontoon to take it's place once it does sells and I can tell you there are several over priced boats out there as well as several deals.

thom
10-01-2007, 08:03 PM
sold mine in two days for more than i paid for it two years ago:)

beaverretriever
10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Anyone else?
I had my Lightning on the spam section here for almost 2 months, but actually only had it on paid advertising for less than a month before it sold. We didn't make money, but didn't do too bad. It was a very clean boat and the guy who bought it said he looked at least 25 boats before he bought mine. He said most of the stuff in his price range (40-50k) were beat not very clean and older.

BajaMike
10-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Resale of.......... planes ..........are never a good thing in good or bad times, unless you can provide a finance package that goes along with it.
Not quite true.....resale on used corporate turboprops and jets is very good....most are selling at 10% to 30% over their brand new price.
Mostly because sales of new units are back-ordered 3 to 4 years. A buddy of mine is dealer for Pilatus.
http://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/images/topic-images/PC-12NG-575x165.jpg
They are back-ordered to 2010......:idea: