PDA

View Full Version : Turbo and Blower ??

Liberator TJ1984
09-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Just sittin' here stinkin'........
has anyone seen a Blower fed by turbos in a boat ???
We have Detroit 149's V- 12cyl. here at work that have 2-12/71's fed by 4 turbos .... and a light bulb just popped in my feeble brain :idea:

Unchained
09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
The turbos could put out more than enough to explode the engine.
The blower would just add unwanted heat and weight and subtract hp from the crank.
When I was in the machinery moving business I had a COE semi tractor with a 12v71 Detroit Diesel. It was an awesome machine. When you started it up on a cold morning the motor would get some blower surge going and it was real impressive. The whole tractor would rock from side to side.

obnoxious001
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
We have Detroit 149's V- 12cyl. here at work that have 2-12/71's fed by 4 turbos .... and a light bulb just popped in my feeble brain :idea:
I have seen one somewhere, but I think the only reason for doing it would be increased "bling" factor. Makes much more sense to do one or the other efficiently.

Warp Factor
09-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Just noticed the new picture, "Unchained". It that the pass with Shane in the passenger seat?
For those of you who haven't seen this boat run, that's not the typical picture taken when a boat is jumping up on plane, or after going over a wake.
That's the "set" the boat holds under acceleration up to about 100 mph. :jawdrop:

Unchained
09-21-2007, 09:02 AM
That is Shane in the passenger seat.
One of the photographers that were there said he looked terrified. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSC_00561.jpg
It looks like you can see a little bit of the prop shaft in this pic.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/holeshot3.jpg

DMOORE
09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
I have seen one somewhere, but I think the only reason for doing it would be increased "bling" factor. Makes much more sense to do one or the other efficiently.
Turbo-supercharging is very common on large diesel engines, as is multiple stage turbo systems on large marine engines.
Darrell.

LandSpeedRacer
09-21-2007, 11:30 AM
:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Infomaniac
09-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Be Very Afraid.
After 5 or 6 years mind just tossed me out.
Leaving the line it leaped out of the water, got on the prop and turned sideways. I let off and it came down HARD, so hard my foot hit the throttle again and out I went.

Unchained
09-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Damn Ron, I hope you're OK.
I am afraid of it. I never owned a toy with this much performance before.
I haven't done any holeshots yet because I don't have a down pedal. It would flip over. I hit it at about 20 mph with a passenger onboard to help keep the front down and it gets to 95 in a few seconds. The passenger is usually pretty scared by then. With just me in it I had it up on one sponson at 70 mph and that gave me some things to think about too.
I've got many upgrades to do over the winter.
Thanks for the words of caution.
Mark

Infomaniac
09-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Yep I've been limping around for 2 weeks now. Had a huge goose egg on my left shin and a chunk of meat out of my left heel. Black eye from the water a slice in my right elbow and my left middle finger swollen up.
It happened so fast I was amazed that I was in the water and not still driving the boat. I remember thinking that I usually do not feel the water on my face when driving. LOL
It was because I nailed it from an idle racing two hydros. It just leaves way too hard.
When it was over one center cav plate rod was broken, the cav plate actuating rod was off the pedal and the entire cav plate bar on the transom was slid over an inch. Don't know what came first the parts breaking or the crash breaking them.
Damn Ron, I hope you're OK.
I am afraid of it. I never owned a toy with this much performance before.
I haven't done any holeshots yet because I don't have a down pedal. It would flip over. I hit it at about 20 mph with a passenger onboard to help keep the front down and it gets to 95 in a few seconds. The passenger is usually pretty scared by then. With just me in it I had it up on one sponson at 70 mph and that gave me some things to think about too.
I've got many upgrades to do over the winter.
Thanks for the words of caution.
Mark

Unchained
09-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Judging from this picture I would have though you would have tore the steering wheel off the dash too. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Wheelie1.jpg
Is this how high it wheelies even with the pedal all the way down ?
Do you think that there is not enough cav plate area to hold the bow down ?
Should I my plates longer ?
I hope I can stay in the boat because my wife told me that if I ever got hurt by the boat that she is going to torch it.

09-21-2007, 03:33 PM
We have Detroit 149's V- 12cyl. here at work that have 2-12/71's fed by 4 turbos .... and a light bulb just popped in my feeble brain :idea: On all the 2 stroke Detroit Diesels 53-71-92-149-etc. the blower was just for moving air to clear cylinders and did not make boost. It was only the turbocharged Detroits that acually made boost. There was a twin turboed/blown dragster back in the early 70s that ran with limited sucess. Nothing new here, sorry...:(

Infomaniac
09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Judging from this picture I would have though you would have tore the steering wheel off the dash too. :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Wheelie1.jpg
Is this how high it wheelies even with the pedal all the way down ?
Do you think that there is not enough cav plate area to hold the bow down ?
Should I my plates longer ?
I hope I can stay in the boat because my wife told me that if I ever got hurt by the boat that she is going to torch it.
Steering wheel is still attached some how.
Yep the pedal was all the way down.. After that pic I extended the center plate and put longer stands on the rods to get more action from it.
This year it has quite a bit more power and carries the nose longer.
if the prop didnt bite so hard it might be different. I have tried a prop that burns out of the hole but it never grabbed. It burned constantly. I could try more gear but I didnt want to take the v-drive out and machine out the water passages. that might have helped also.

Infomaniac
09-21-2007, 05:47 PM
What I really need to do is take the blower and injection off of it and not try and be king of the lake.

N281PONY
09-21-2007, 06:27 PM
What I really need to do is take the blower and injection off of it and not try and be king of the lake.
Now where would the fun be in that. Both you and Unchained have some bad a$$ looking rides. Plus I like Unchained way of thinking...yeah I'm bias. I'm a turbo guy.

84 cougar
09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Info, sorry to hear about your water check. I also have a 19' v drive cougar. I beleive we have responded back and forth before. Your story and remedy was similar to a hop I took 2 years ago. Growing up driving blown flats, I thought I was invincible w/ the tunnel. You just get comfortable. Mine has always ben dialed from the original owner/builder, always set perf. One time, on nos out of ther gate, the boat went straight up, perpendicular to the water, and then twisted right. I got lucky. About 3' out , and came down off power. Couple bruised arms
My remedy was lenghten the rods, put the four bolt turn buckle perches on, and we added a second piece of aluminum on the last 3" of the center plate spanning all 3 turnbuckles. I had 1 broken after my hop as well. W/ the extra aluminum, it stiffens it up quite a bit, in case I ever loose another turnbuckle.
If I remember right, you only have 2 turnbuckles on your center plate. All in all, glad you only have minor injuries..
About props, trying to find something that will allow a little more burn out, and then hook as mine is becoming more difficult w/ the new horsepower.
Blown gas 580BBC.(approx 1100 HP) Currently changing to 11 1/4 x16 w 32
gears. Any set up suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Jocko

Infomaniac
09-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I added about 4 inches of plate and put larger diameter turnbuckles on it. it actually pulled the threads out of the turnbuclel ends instead of snapping the rod like it used to do.
Right now I have 11 1/2 16 prop 38 gears and it turns 8,400 RPM.
I have 43 gears for it but they wouldnt fit and I didnt feel like pulling the box out at the time.
The boat really needs to be broke over before hitting the throttle. it idles nose high and pushes a wall of water under it. hit the throttle and it just climbs that wall of water.
Info, sorry to hear about your water check. I also have a 19' v drive cougar. I beleive we have responded back and forth before. Your story and remedy was similar to a hop I took 2 years ago. Growing up driving blown flats, I thought I was invincible w/ the tunnel. You just get comfortable. Mine has always ben dialed from the original owner/builder, always set perf. One time, on nos out of ther gate, the boat went straight up, perpendicular to the water, and then twisted right. I got lucky. About 3' out , and came down off power. Couple bruised arms
My remedy was lenghten the rods, put the four bolt turn buckle perches on, and we added a second piece of aluminum on the last 3" of the center plate spanning all 3 turnbuckles. I had 1 broken after my hop as well. W/ the extra aluminum, it stiffens it up quite a bit, in case I ever loose another turnbuckle.
If I remember right, you only have 2 turnbuckles on your center plate. All in all, glad you only have minor injuries..
About props, trying to find something that will allow a little more burn out, and then hook as mine is becoming more difficult w/ the new horsepower.
Blown gas 580BBC.(approx 1100 HP) Currently changing to 11 1/4 x16 w 32
gears. Any set up suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Jocko

Unchained
09-22-2007, 02:43 AM
I got some good information here.
I think I need some more plate area on the center plate too.
After looking at Warp Factors boat I see I need to add wood to the whole inside of the transom. Mine flexes when you move the plate up and down. This hull is pretty lightweight for a 21'
I've never had my boat walk around on the prop yet, that sounds shady.
I'm using a three blade 11" x 16
It does want to lift the left side of the boat up on hard accelleration though.
84 Cougar, put up some pictures of your boat.

Warp Factor
09-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Mark, if you're nuts enough, while you have the boat apart, and since you're making a new strut anyway, you could offset the propshaft to the passenger side about 1/2 inch. That will eliminate almost all of the torque effects.
Mine's about 3/8ths, and has almost no torque steer. 3/8" was just a wild guess, a little more would be ideal. I was running out of room in the center sponson though. V box is about as far to the right as I have space for.
Moving it over also moves prop lift to the right, counteracting the tendency to raise the left side sponson.

Liberator TJ1984
09-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Leave the engine setup alone !! Trade the prop hull for a Jet Drive ! that will slow you down some :D
PS > Glad to hear your OK ! I see you must have fixed the diveline problem ?

Blown 472
09-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Dont do that, glad to hear you didn't get hurt.
What is the latest with your van? you run it at the strip yet?

Infomaniac
09-22-2007, 06:59 AM
Dont do that, glad to hear you didn't get hurt.
What is the latest with your van? you run it at the strip yet?
Van sat all summer. Other than driving to a couple of cruise nights. The torque converter was not up to the task. Put a niel chance converter in it this week. Hooked up the tranny brake and the firewall is being fabbed up right now.
Super Chevy Show in Tulsa october will be when it goes down the track.
If it wheelies it won't spit me out. ;)

Infomaniac
09-22-2007, 07:05 AM
I was warned BTW about the Cougar. Earlier in the year friends said they could see and hear the prop when I was running toward them. Asked me how I got the bottom of the boat so clean. :D It scared them.
I adjusted the plates level with the bottom after that and it helped. They had been set up because the boat was N/A tunnel ram last year. Ended up with them 1 turn up this year
And a guy got it on video 3 weeks ago, it did the same thing but it didnt spit me out. Had to abort the run. Bystanders said they saw the prop then also.
If you continually ask the boat to walk on the edge, eventually it will slip off.

DEL51
09-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Info,Glad you are still alive! What is different on the engine compared to the old 509?

Unchained
09-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Well hells belles Ron, lets see that video !!!
When I was at a Hot Boat meet here in Mi I was standing on it with just me in the boat and I had it up so high that Detroit Jim told me he could see the strut clearly :jawdrop:
I still haven't got a video of the GPS to calculate my accelleration rate as compared to the jet but I'm sure it's way more by using the "ass-o-meter". I took Detroit Jim for a ride before I toasted the pistons and Jim told me it pulled like his PE Curtis hydro.
I'm supposed to be getting a CD in the mail with some pictures and videos from Hot Boat weekend a couple weeks ago in Mi and I'll post those when they arrive.

burbanite
09-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Yes. It was a Fountain with triples, the two outboard engines were also turboed.

Boostedballs
09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, turbos and blowers on the same engine is a bling thing unless we are talking about diesels. Diesels like the multistage compression. Some hot diesels can easily handle 200psi intake pressure. Not the case for a gas or alky rig, that's why you usually see one or the other and not both. Besides, camming a gas rig with turbos and belt blowers would be a nightmare IMO.
I hate to say it but, I think we are going to start seeing some fast diesel boats in the near future. The technology is growing so quickly. After all, look what turbo diesel power did in LeMans last year.
There's even some guys local to me that run tripple digits in the 1/4 mile in the Powerstrokes and Cummins engines. That's in 7000lb vehicles!

Infomaniac
09-22-2007, 06:56 PM
No need to hate to say it. My 07.5 LMM Duramax runs like crazy.
Yeah, turbos and blowers on the same engine is a bling thing unless we are talking about diesels. Diesels like the multistage compression. Some hot diesels can easily handle 200psi intake pressure. Not the case for a gas or alky rig, that's why you usually see one or the other and not both. Besides, camming a gas rig with turbos and belt blowers would be a nightmare IMO.
I hate to say it but, I think we are going to start seeing some fast diesel boats in the near future. The technology is growing so quickly. After all, look what turbo diesel power did in LeMans last year.
There's even some guys local to me that run tripple digits in the 1/4 mile in the Powerstrokes and Cummins engines. That's in 7000lb vehicles!

HOSS
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
But6 it aint runnin 9~s. Rick Dobberson (sp ck) had a twin turbo twin sc in a J2000 back in tha day. Like 400 colors in the paint. Way over the top 80`s stuff. Special GoodYear one off rubber ,,,total polish job and the body for the next year raised up! Total engineering mind blower. Cant go bigger or badder unless you picked a different car. Never had an et though.

burbanite
09-23-2007, 04:55 AM
...look what turbo diesel power did in LeMans last year.
No shit and they give us fits each time we race against them...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6127520200712732546.jpg

Unchained
09-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Diesels ???
It seems like the engine would hold a lot of boost pressure but the powerband is so narrow you would always need a trans with a lot of gears.
Seems like I saw a video of a 3/4 ton chevy diesel truck that ran in the 12's and was daily street driven. Took a lot of turbo boost to get there and it may have used propane injection too.
That's one of the things I like about turbos is the motor can be totally mild when not under boost. I'm gonna have my cam ground down to less lift and duration over the winter. Don't want the rough idle anymore and I want to lessen the stresses on the valvetrain.

BenchRacer
09-23-2007, 10:44 AM
HUMMMMMMM..........prop shaft on a Jet??????

Liberator TJ1984
09-23-2007, 11:06 AM
No Jet ....V-Drives :D
Unchained and Info. both have some pretty wicked rides:eek:
I wish I had one instead of a jet drive on mine :(

BOOGEYMAN
09-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Thats no jet boat!........Thats why you can see just a little bit of the prop shaft.......:jawdrop:
Travis

Warp Factor
09-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Did you notice, our engines are sittin' at a funny angle? :D http://www.michigan***boats.com/gallery/albums/album27/oscoda_025.jpg
It's OK, man. Ya don't run into V-drive tunnels too often. ;)

Unchained
09-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Here's your jet drive.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isjdd7rnrbU

Boostedballs
09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Diesels ???
It seems like the engine would hold a lot of boost pressure but the powerband is so narrow you would always need a trans with a lot of gears.
Seems like I saw a video of a 3/4 ton chevy diesel truck that ran in the 12's and was daily street driven. Took a lot of turbo boost to get there and it may have used propane injection too.
That's one of the things I like about turbos is the motor can be totally mild when not under boost. I'm gonna have my cam ground down to less lift and duration over the winter. Don't want the rough idle anymore and I want to lessen the stresses on the valvetrain.
transmission? or variable nozzle? Hmm... like a jet engine.
That's one of the reasons I love turbo engines, the low compression mildness off-boost. They start with little strain on the starter and they idle smooth without beating on the bottom end.

Unchained
10-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Here's another picture a photographer sent me.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/rideattitude1.jpg
You can see the whip strut real clear here.
There just ain't much hull in the water at all.
I didn't think the bow seemed too high, we were probably going about 90 mph.
It appears the left sponson is above the water surface and the hull looks pretty level from left to right. The center pod is below the sponsons by 11/16" just for the last 3' or 4'.
DAMN THIS IS A FUN BOAT !!!!!! :D

delusional502
10-04-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Here's a link to some pics of a car that won Street Machine of the year here in Australia.
As you can see the twin turbo and blown motor looks sh!t hot and certainly contributed to the car winning the title.
The same sort of set up would certainly look great in a boat!!!
Cheers
http://www.carpoint.com.au/Tig/Minisite/Minisite.aspx?alias=carpointau&id=6725

Liberator TJ1984
10-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Reminds me of " Mad Max " :D
http://www.carpoint.com.au/carcontent/streetmachine/smoty/3b.jpg