PDA

View Full Version : 12 qt oil pan

HM
09-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Is there any real benefit to putting a 12 qt pan on a fairly mild 454 in a daycruiser jet boat?
does anyone modify v-drive oil pans to work on jet boats (reversing the baffles)?
I have got a bitchen aluminum 12 qt. v-drive pan that I'd like to put on a jet boat, but I know the baffles at a minimum need to be changed and obviously the reverse pickup would not be used. I don't want to make any mods if there is no need to use it - but it is bitchen, so I think I "have" to use it. :D

cyclone
09-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Is there any real benefit to putting a 12 qt pan on a fairly mild 454 in a daycruiser jet boat?
does anyone modify v-drive oil pans to work on jet boats (reversing the baffles)?
I have got a bitchen aluminum 12 qt. v-drive pan that I'd like to put on a jet boat, but I know the baffles at a minimum need to be changed and obviously the reverse pickup would not be used. I don't want to make any mods if there is no need to use it - but it is bitchen, so I think I "have" to use it. :D
larger capacity=slightly cooler oil temp. i run a 14 quart pan and can drive for miles and miles without my oil temp climbing over 180 degrees. no oil cooler needed.
sell the vdrive pan and buy a jet pan.
stefs makes nice ones.

flat broke
09-20-2007, 10:09 PM
The larger pan will delay the time it takes to heat your oil up, but without a cooler, once it's hot, it's hot and it doesn't matter if you have 7 quarts or 14 quarts of hot oil, it's still hot oil.
Now as a hypothetical let's say that if with a factory pan, a 10 minute cruise at 5krpm raises your oil temp to 220. Then you park the boat or cruise at a notably lower RPM/load for a while. Then the temp goes back down on it's own. Well, if you had a bigger pan, the temp might only get up to let's say 190 before you started to slow down or float etc. To someone in this situation, it would appear that the larger oil pan kept the oil cooler, when in reality all it did was slow down the rate at which the oil got hot. Determining capacity requirements has a lot to do with your intended application.
I'm with Mike on buying an actual Jet pan. No sense butchering a perfectly good V'drive pan to create a morphodite jetboat pan, when you can either sell or shelve the V'drive pan and get an application specific pan for your jetboat. Ask around the V'drive forums about Armando's pans as they'll be a less expensive alternative to the Stef's unit. Next down the food chain would probably be a standard Olson jetboat pan, followed by a Dooley, etc, etc.
Glad to hear you still have the cruiser, and hopefully we'll hook up sometime out on the water.
Chris

HM
09-21-2007, 01:20 AM
The v-drive pan I have is a Stef's unit. It is really nice!!! I bought it from 496 the Coyote. It also has a location to put an oil temp. And, now that I think of it...it is a 14 qt pan.
Anyone want to trade? :D

HM
09-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Glad to hear you still have the cruiser, and hopefully we'll hook up sometime out on the water.
Chris
I just got it back from the upholstery shop. I did clothe again - with a little tuck-n-roll retro action. Did a back to back bench with jump seats and a dog house...but it is a bit different. I am not a fan of jump seats...but I got lots of rugrats to find seats for now. :D All new carpet...the thing is very clean on the inside. Now I got to get the hydraulics working on the place diverter and it is ready for a water test.
I also want to make some changes to the trailer. It sits REALLY high. It is a triple axle trailer, but it has no tongue weight. But, when I stand on it, I can't make it hit the ground and it is not like it wants to do a wheeling either...it just sits there. Hard to explain. It tows fine, but I want to move the axles back about a foot. And lower the bunks about 4 inches.
It also has a fairly crappy paint job, but my 4 year old said it was the most beautiful boat he has ever seen. It is nice to have kids to keep things in perspective.

sleekcrafter
09-21-2007, 03:24 AM
If it's got trap doors, they might swing the wrong way, being a v-drive pan. Verify the oil pick-up sump area, and trap door motion, to see if you can use it. I may require some modification to serve as a jet boat unit.
I ran an Olson 12qt. pan on my 23' daycruiser, max oil temp was 220* took a while to get there, and took a bit to cool it down too. No cooler was installed, or needed on that set-up. Good luck, your rug rats will love it;)

cstraub
09-21-2007, 06:05 AM
The v-drive pan I have is a Stef's unit. It is really nice!!! I bought it from 496 the Coyote. It also has a location to put an oil temp. And, now that I think of it...it is a 14 qt pan.
Anyone want to trade? :D
Get me the serial number off of the front of the pan (below seal area of the damper) and I will call the shop and see if we can "regut" it.

HM
09-21-2007, 06:56 AM
If it's got trap doors, they might swing the wrong way, being a v-drive pan. Verify the oil pick-up sump area, and trap door motion, to see if you can use it. I may require some modification to serve as a jet boat unit.
I ran an Olson 12qt. pan on my 23' daycruiser, max oil temp was 220* took a while to get there, and took a bit to cool it down too. No cooler was installed, or needed on that set-up. Good luck, your rug rats will love it;)
What you call trap doors I call baffles :D
Get me the serial number off of the front of the pan (below seal area of the damper) and I will call the shop and see if we can "regut" it.
I'll post the numbers up. Thanks!

pw_Tony
09-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Some pics of the cruiser please!

Hokey Pokey
09-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I got a Dooley oil pan 10qt at a garage sale for $12.50 some out side rust but looks good.
Is it a jetboat pan if the door opens to the frount of pan and can you ues a stock oilpump? thanks:confused:

Hokey Pokey
09-22-2007, 05:22 AM
I got a Dooley oil pan 10qt at a garage sale for $12.50 some out side rust but looks good.
Is it a jetboat pan if the door opens to the frount of pan and can you ues a stock oilpump? thanks:confused: No one knows?????:confused:

SBC Jetboat
09-22-2007, 06:46 AM
since the engine in a jet faces front forward, then the idea is to let the oil flow to the rear of the pan and then stay there, so the door should open to the rear allowing oil from the front to move into the rear sump area and not be allowed to move back up front. This keeps the oil pump pick-up covered with oil and insures the engine constant oil pressure. The trap door allowing oil to go to the front of the motor is likely a v-drive pan since the engine faces backwards in the boat.