PDA

View Full Version : 21 Daytona Outboard Conversion To Jet?

H20MOFO
09-22-2007, 02:10 PM
Anyone Have Any 1st Hand Info On Someting Like That? Tom R-u Out There Any Inherent Problems With Something That? I Realize The Transom Is Going To Be Overkill In It. Its An 81' ,did They Ever Change The Daytona Through The Years (hull Wise) Or Are They All Cookie Cutter ?(1980-2000) Do You Think 4k Is Too Much? For A Boat With No Motor.

jungledave
09-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Anyone Have Any 1st Hand Info On Someting Like That? Tom R-u Out There Any Inherent Problems With Something That? I Realize The Transom Is Going To Be Overkill In It. Its An 81' ,did They Ever Change The Daytona Through The Years (hull Wise) Or Are They All Cookie Cutter ?(1980-2000) Do You Think 4k Is Too Much? For A Boat With No Motor.I think you beat me to that boat:)

H20MOFO
09-22-2007, 02:31 PM
IT'S STILL FOR SALE(I THINK) YOU SHOULD BUT IT AND PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY. :confused:

jungledave
09-22-2007, 02:36 PM
IT'S STILL FOR SALE(I THINK) YOU SHOULD BUT IT AND PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY. :confused:I can't find it again.

H20MOFO
09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Hmmm. So I Should Do It Then. Haha:d

Big Kahunaa
09-22-2007, 07:33 PM
i have been thinking the same thing

1968Droptop
09-23-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm by no means an expert on 21''s. But from what I understand they were all set up for an I/O or an outboard from the git go. My transome is 3/4" thick plywood with glass over that. Overkill for sure, but that's one of the many things that makes 'em stable in the chop.
4K doesn't sound to terrible. Condition of the hull ? Does that include interior ? Guessing it's right hand drive ? There'll be a lot of parts to by to convert it, but it can be done. A thrifty person should be able to source out a lot of parts used if your not in a hurry to get it done. You'll have to have the intake set by someone who know's what they're doing and is familar with where the 21's like 'em.

H20MOFO
09-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Hi 68-drop. It's Here On Spam Seems Like It Was A Left Hand Dr But I Could Be Wrong. It's In Cali. And I'm Here In Utah. So All I've Seen Is The Pic. I Asked For Some Pics Of The Bottom And Transom And Haven't Seen Em Yet. I Could Afford It Now.(loan) But I'd Feel Better About Buying It If I Could Sell The Wagon I Have On Spam.(need The Garage Room Too). Do Dominators And Berks Use The Same Intakes.

H20MOFO
09-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I Know They Have To Be Cut In. But Where Would You Buy One (intake)? Or Are They Homegrown???? I Know There Are No Shoes And Loaders For My Panther .but How Many(good) Types Of Dif. Intakes Are There.? If Your Starting From Scratch.

QuickJet
09-23-2007, 03:29 PM
By the time you spent the time and money making it a jet + the cost of the boat, you would have over 10 grand in the hull and it still wouldn't have an engine. If you want a jet boat, buy a jet boat.
I'd clamp a big inch Merc on the back of that thing and go kick some Jet boat's ass before I'd convert it to a jet.

H20MOFO
09-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Your Probably Right. Although 21 Daytona's Are A Little Rare Around Here. I'm Pretty Sure Utah Is The Rollbar Boat Capitol Of The Earth.

HammerDown
09-23-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm by no means an expert on 21''s. But from what I understand they were all set up for an I/O or an outboard from the git go. My transome is 3/4" thick plywood with glass over that..../
Not my 83 21-Daytona, the transome is only 3/16 thin...all glass no wood!
PS* I would keep it clip on...the Hull will ride much lighter on top of the water at less speed and probably be faster w/less HP too!

H20MOFO
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Clip On Thats Funny. I'm Not Sure If I Have Another Project Left In Me ,but If I Did This Would Be It.

1968Droptop
09-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Mine's a `94..........

Unchained
09-24-2007, 03:19 AM
PS* I would keep it clip on...the Hull will ride much lighter on top of the water at less speed and probably be faster w/less HP too!
I agree with Hammer on this. All the work you'll go through to convert won't add any value to the boat. With the OB they have all kinds of interior room and will run real nice with a 275 hp motor, probably around 85 mph.
To get that speed with a jet drive would take probably 600 hp or so but the jet would accellerate better.

jrork
09-24-2007, 05:22 AM
I'm chime in with the others and say that iff'n it was me, I'd keep it an outboard or look for a different boat if I wanted a tunnel.
Now, with that said, if you decide to go this route anyhow take lots of pictures and post it up. Good luck with which every route you take......John

H20MOFO
09-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks For The Input Guys. Just Seems Like Used Daytona Are Hard To Find. Some One On Here Was Nice Enougph To Get Me Some Info On A Clone Hull Only Was 12 Or 14k Can't Remember Now.

GUGS102
09-24-2007, 09:22 AM
I thought about that hull. But had reservations
1. The bottom has been repainted. Why if the top gel is in decent shape why the spray gun?
2. No wiring harness. Okay not a big deal either make or buy one
3. No steeering. For the clamp on you definately need the dual cable set up if you want to turn it but realistically you need the hydraulic set up.
4. Tanks are out. Again not a big deal assuming the mounts are good
5. Has the setback but not a jack plate, another essential to make these run with the clamp on
Then he said what I needed to hear "I bought another 21 and took all the good stuff from this one." And there you go. Even if you got it a 4K or 3500 for that matter. You'd be close to 10K without being on the water and not having it set up properly.
If you are willing to got to SD for this, start looking in CA and AZ you'll find one for 10-12 in nice condition already set up and running.
There is one in Phx that is a one owner 83 with a 2.5 I think absolutely goregous for 12K.
Hey this is just me. Fire away!!

H20MOFO
09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
I Know An Outboard Would Be Cheaper, But I Can't Do It. I've A Reliable Source That Looked At The Pics Today And Thinks The Black On The Bottom Is Just Speed Coat. What Did You Mean About The Gel?(SPRAY GUN?)
I'm Thinkin More Like 6k And Needs Motor, A Harness ,steering,upholstry ,Ect. This Way I Can Spend As I Have It . Yeh It'll Take A While? I Made Boat Payments In The Winter On My 1st Boat. I Can't Do That Either. IF I COULD FIND OR THOUGHT I COULD FIND A NICE DAYTONA 21 JET BBC FOR UNDER 15-20K I'D PROBABLY GO IN DEBT.

GUGS102
09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
The guy told me it had been repainted. Take a close look at the pics. The entire sponson below the molding has been reshot. Offer the guy $3500 and go get it. It's been sitting for quite a while. See if you can sell the interior set up to someone else and make some money back. You are going to re do it anyway. (The back half)

HammerDown
09-24-2007, 12:29 PM
IF I COULD FIND OR THOUGHT I COULD FIND A NICE DAYTONA 21 JET BBC FOR UNDER 15-20K I'D PROBABLY GO IN DEBT.
Hmmmm...shame you don't live closer. I think my arm could be twisted into selling mine, in my sig ;)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/106421_Daytona.jpg

H20MOFO
09-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks For The Info Gugs. Hammer Whatta Ya Got? MOTOR PUMP YEAR ECT. (I ASSUME THATS THE BOAT IN THE PHOTO)
One Thing I Hadn't Thought Of(or At Least The 1st) Was Gas Tanks ,they May Be Fun- Pricey To Replace.

1968Droptop
09-24-2007, 03:55 PM
F I COULD FIND OR THOUGHT I COULD FIND A NICE DAYTONA 21 JET BBC FOR UNDER 15-20K I'D PROBABLY GO IN DEBT.
They're hard to find because peeps really like the way they do everything, from cruising, taking chop, and going fast. They really are a great all around boat. I looked for a while to find desirable colors and condition. I'm sure I paid more than I should of, but I got what I wanted which was most important to me.
How long have you been looking ? If it's only been a couple weeks/months then give it some time.

Unchained
09-24-2007, 04:13 PM
If someones looking for one, from what I've seen a 21' Liberator is a nice boat too.
I've seen them in OB, Jet, and v-drive.
They're made in Texas.
The hulls are almost identical to an Elim Daytona.

Outlaw
09-24-2007, 04:35 PM
http://www.millenniumpowerboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=28
I was looking at these before I found my Daytonahttp://www.millenniumpowerboats.com/images/stories/Boat_pics/21'tunnel-blues.jpg

sstjet
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM
A nice lookin 21 daytona jet or similar (cant remeber for sure)just sold on ebay for like 14K. So they are out there.

sstjet
09-24-2007, 04:52 PM
There is a nice lookin 21 ft liberator tunnel for sale in the spam section. 396 posted it for a friend of his.

H20MOFO
09-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Hi Guys .68- Drop Or Outlaw Or Anyone. Whats The Capacity Of A 21 Daytona. Just Curious My Tahati 18' Bubble Is 600 Lbs. Yikes.

TRG
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
A few years back i took a 16' warlock that was set up for a jet, glassed in the intake hole and the transom, added 2" of plywood (To support the weight of an OB) the boat seeme to work well,...for a 16" OB tunnell! lol
Greg harris' 19' eliminator was originaly an OB an now is a jet, that also brings the mail, i think all that was neeed was attn. to the keel, it was a flat keel hull to start with.

TIMINATOR
09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
If ya wanna, you could buy my 19' (they are actually 19'8"), it has a 6-71 blown 468 and all the pump work you could want. With or without motor. Wife hurt her back and can't ride in it anymore. P.M. if interested. TIMINATOR

1968Droptop
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi Guys .68- Drop Or Outlaw Or Anyone. Whats The Capacity Of A 21 Daytona. Just Curious My Tahati 18' Bubble Is 600 Lbs. Yikes.
I think it's 850#'s.

H20MOFO
09-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks Chris. WHEN I POSTED 600 LB THATS GEAR , BEER ECT . MY WIFE HATES MY TAHITI IT'S TOO SMALL ITS TOO LOUD ,BLA BLA BLA. Unfortunatly For My Broke - Sorry Ass,this Is My Price Range.(3.5k Not35k) And I Love Projects.

Outlaw
09-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Look at Wet77's daytona, clean boat with or without motor
you would have almost 18k tied up in converting this one.

bigblockbill
09-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I sold a 1981 21ft daytona a few years ago. It was originally an I/O boat that was converted to a jet. The transom was thick... don't remember how thick but thick. It was a very heavy lake layup, and rode great. Get the intake set right and you're good to go.
No Clamp on's in my garage... They may be fast but just are not cool. Like the Harley guys say, "Loud Pipes Save Lives"

1968Droptop
09-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Thanks Chris. WHEN I POSTED 600 LB THATS GEAR , BEER ECT . MY WIFE HATES MY TAHITI IT'S TOO SMALL ITS TOO LOUD ,BLA BLA BLA. Unfortunatly For My Broke - Sorry Ass,this Is My Price Range.(3.5k Not35k) And I Love Projects.
My wife wasn't a big fan of my old `76 Sanger Custom Sprint (bubble deck). She didn't like the jolting ride in the chop, or the cramped quarters. I can say that the Daytona has her smiling ear to ear though.
I can REALLY understand the project love. That's my weakness as well. I see the finished result when I look at something, and nothing more. I know I've got the skills, but finding the time is always a challenge. I'm about to start a `79 F-350 CrewCab 4X4 project......what am I thinking :sqeyes:
Like I stated earlier, if you've got lot's of time then it's doable. You can lay out less cash now, and build it as the $$$ allow. But as you know, lot's of peeps have lots of projects that don't get finished. They end up putting endless $$$ into it, burn out on it, and sell it for a big loss. My only suggestion is to look deep inside yourself and ask if you will really finish it ?

H20MOFO
09-25-2007, 07:09 PM
I Know What Your Sayin Chris. (wish I Knew How To Do That Quote Thing) I Still Have My Other Boat So I'm In No Huge Rush. If I Ever Get Better At This Posting Stuff. I'll Post A Pics Of The 77 Trans Am I Bought For 600 Bucks And Fixed Up And Sold For A Whopin 4k Haha. Anyway I Know If I Get It It'll Be A Long Road.

H20MOFO
10-02-2007, 05:21 PM
So What Jet Should I Put In Her? I Wish I Knew A Little More About.............. Well, Everything Berk Split Bowl ,ab Jc I Don't Know Or Should I Not Go Berk? How Simular Are All The Intakes For Different Pumps. Is There's Panther Then Everything Else? I Know I'm A Dumb Ass

oknozelman
10-03-2007, 07:29 AM
http://www.millenniumpowerboats.com/...17&Itemi d=28
I was looking at these before I found my Daytonahttp://www.millenniumpowerboats.com/images/stories/Boat_pics/21'tunnel-blues.jpg
Do you know were this 21' w/ the Black Hawk outdrive is?

superdave013
10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
not knocking the jets at all but I'll tell you one thing.
Getting behind the wheel of a 19 ~ 21' tunnel with good running outboard it F'in bad ass! Havasu Barney let me drive his and I loved it. Not as quick as a jet. But with a right out of the box Pro Max 300 it would run in the 90's and you could keep it pinned until you ran out of river.

roscoe p coltraine
10-04-2007, 08:24 PM
not knocking the jets at all but I'll tell you one thing.
Getting behind the wheel of a 19 ~ 21' tunnel with good running outboard it F'in bad ass! Havasu Barney let me drive his and I loved it. Not as quick as a jet. But with a right out of the box Pro Max 300 it would run in the 90's and you could keep it pinned until you ran out of river.
Problem is these guys wont ever learn.Rather dump alot of cash into aj et and get smoked by an outboard.
round here the local bass boats pack a 250 hp o/b and run at 70 all day put a low end prop and they get on plane fast but only top out at 55 get them 300xs on or on of them 2.5s they get up and go into the 80s easily.Most are are 2.5s anyways minus the 300 pro maxs they are different motors to begin with but the 2.5 blocks can be made to push some good power from the get go.

H20MOFO
10-05-2007, 07:04 AM
I Won't Argue Outboard Vs Jet For The Dollar I Think Your Right, Especially With 2 Outboards. I Just Don't Care For Em. Besides The Fact I Can Rebuild A V-8 Myself. I Probably Couldn't Even Change A Plug In An Outboard.