PDA

View Full Version : Fifth Wheel vs. Gooseneck

LUVNLIFE
09-22-2007, 02:12 PM
What are the pros and cons between the two. I know the differanceof the setup but is one better than the other? More weight, control or better handling with one or the other? Thanks :)

79schiada
09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
my gooseneck trailer. I like the flexibility you get with the ball hitch. You need to watch the approach on steep inclines/declines, but that's about it. I think it goes down the road about the same as a 5th wheel, which is tons better than a bumper-pull. Good luck deciding!:D

curtis73
09-23-2007, 02:58 AM
I think they tow very similarly. My love for the gooseneck is the fact that your truck bed isn't consumed by a huge steel hitch all the time. I had a 5er for a long time, then I bought a gooseneck flatbed trailer. I put a converter on the 5er for the gooseneck hitch and I love the fact that I can haul 20 sheets of drywall without removing a 150-lb hitch first.
Towing = 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.
Bed convenience = gooseneck every time.

rivrrts429
09-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I know that if its an RV trailer and it has been converted to gooseneck you can't have passengers vs. a 5er you can. Maybe its a safety issue, but I don't know. I do agree with 79 schiada on the flexibility, and curtis on the big hitch point. I think they tow the same its just a matter of preference (sp.).

Riverkid
09-26-2007, 07:59 PM
my gooseneck trailer. I like the flexibility you get with the ball hitch. You need to watch the approach on steep inclines/declines, but that's about it. I think it goes down the road about the same as a 5th wheel, which is tons better than a bumper-pull. Good luck deciding!:D
That thing is a monster! :)

BLOWN HOWARD
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I know weekend warrior wont warranty there trailer if your using a gooseneck. Atleast thats what the salesman said

LUVNLIFE
09-27-2007, 05:46 PM
I know weekend warrior wont warranty there trailer if your using a gooseneck. Atleast thats what the salesman said
Hey are you on Glamis dunes also:idea: That is what someone told me over there also;) Why is that though:confused: :confused: Why don't the manufacturers offer gooseneck? Why a liability? Thanks keep it going here guys;)

BLOWN HOWARD
09-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah i am on GD. I talked to a few buddy's with out WW and the manufacture of there trailers said the same thing. I would guess that it is hard on the frame work. That would be my only guess. I have one buddy who has a big Sierra Fifth wheel and despite the warranty issue he still went the goosneck way.

79schiada
09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
goosenecks and fifth wheels have no different frame from one another, just the receiver itself. i'm not a big fan of the mass produced trailers, as they rely alot on wood construction, therefore, issues with things not fitting so well in the long run. if you're using this as a travel trailer only, i'd look into the aluminum framed models. if its a toyhauler, the more steel ,the better. just my .02