PDA

View Full Version : future bann of outboards....

TOBTEK
07-22-2002, 09:51 AM
posted this also in ***boat...looking for info on the future regulations in concern with E.P.A If I flop down a ton-a-dough for a new boat with a 2-stroke EFI outboard....will they be outlawed in a few yrs or will thet be "GRANDFATHERD"....info please......

snappertapper
07-22-2002, 01:27 PM
to the best of my knowledge if yuo own a 2 stroke you will be able to run it but they will not be sold for much longer

HavasuDreamin'
07-22-2002, 02:06 PM
I haven't read anything that indicates that old 2-strokes will be completely banned. IMHO, I believe that certain lakes (tahoe for example) will ban all two strokes, but that is extreme. I believe you will get into something similar to the old cars.....meaning if it is old enough, you don't have to go through smog certification....with the boats..you won't be banned. If it is a newer motor, don't be bolting on high perf stuff and making it more of a pollutant. If it were me, and depending on my starting problem......... :( I may be looking for a different motor next year. One of the things I am going to check into is emissions and which motors meet the 2007 emissions, etc. I would think that you will be fine with pro max type motors for a long time. These new motors are so computer driven that you really shouldn't have a problem on most lakes.
To make a long story short, I find it hard to believe that the Environmental people could have a law passed banning 2007 emission motors in say 2010, 2015, etc.

TOBTEK
07-23-2002, 06:55 AM
H/D......I'm looking at a mach22 with a 1998 2.5efi do you want it for your boat? I really want a new 300-X. I only want to switch for the oil inject and more torque. Just a thought, this boat might be more interesting if i had a home for the motor!!!

TOBTEK
07-24-2002, 06:47 AM
Went by DCB on Tues, They said there isnt really to worry about as long as you have a newer EFI or DIRECT EFI motor/motors. Still scary thinking of spending this kind of money with the EPA freaks out there!

gigamurph
07-24-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey there TOBTEK! Being an owner of a dinosaur Merc (1980 90HP in-line 6), I too am concerned with the regs regarding these motors. I wish I had some answers for ya but like you said, with the EPA freaks out there, even if ya did know what the regs are now, they'd change tomorrow! I don't think that they will be able to completely ban 2-stroke O/Bs from the waterways (there are more of them out there than people like to admit, especially in the midwest), but I do foresee "them" making it as difficult as possible for us; ie: higher fees for launching, higher registration fees, taxes, or whatever other means "they" have or can make at their disposal. Only time will tell and I'm sure that we will all be unhappy as h**l when it's all done and said! frown

TOBTEK
07-24-2002, 04:44 PM
gigamurph:
Hey there TOBTEK! Being an owner of a dinosaur Merc (1980 90HP in-line 6), I too am concerned with the regs regarding these motors. I wish I had some answers for ya but like you said, with the EPA freaks out there, even if ya did know what the regs are now, they'd change tomorrow! I don't think that they will be able to completely ban 2-stroke O/Bs from the waterways (there are more of them out there than people like to admit, especially in the midwest), but I do foresee "them" making it as difficult as possible for us; ie: higher fees for launching, higher registration fees, taxes, or whatever other means "they" have or can make at their disposal. Only time will tell and I'm sure that we will all be unhappy as h**l when it's all done and said! :(I agree 100% with you, I dont know how in the world they can outlaw/bann a previously sold outboard from being used. Butt, we arent in charge they are....big bummer
I'm just hoping that if I get a newer motor I wont have a big issue.. :rolleyes:

gigamurph
07-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Talked to Pro Shops out of San Dimas at the LA Boat Show in March and the guy quoted me a new 115 w/ control box, rigged, and out the door for $8000. Just don't have the cash right now and the guy at the local boat shop says HE can't even get one for that! Life sux; then you go boatin'! Oh well! maybe next year.

HavasuDreamin'
07-25-2002, 06:04 AM
Sorry Tobtek.........if I go to a newer motor, it is going to be "new" and I am going for a short shaft which the Mach 22 probably does not have. Good Luck, and remember..........be patient and get the boat you want!

TOBTEK
07-25-2002, 07:50 AM
HavasuDreamin':
Sorry Tobtek.........if I go to a newer motor, it is going to be "new" and I am going for a short shaft which the Mach 22 probably does not have. Good Luck, and remember..........be patient and get the boat you want!H/D...Have you priced out a new motor? I just got a price on a new 300-x (21,000) without brackets or rigging. Was also told a new 2.5 is somewhere around 15-16,000 seems unreal that they are that expensive..its crazy :rolleyes:

HavasuDreamin'
07-25-2002, 10:04 AM
TOBTEK:
HavasuDreamin'
[qb]H/D...Have you priced out a new motor? I just got a price on a new 300-x (21,000) without brackets or rigging. Was also told a new 2.5 is somewhere around 15-16,000 seems unreal that they are that expensive..its crazy :rolleyes: Completely unreal. I haven't priced one out, but I am fully expecting $15K. I think if I shop around at the end of the model year, say in Nov. or so, I could probably find a dealer willing to wheel and deal on a 2.5L for me. I am not sure I am going that route yet because I really like my 2.4L, I just need to get it to start every time so that I am not soooo tense on the water. But, if this thing continues to plague me, I would hope that someone might give me say $5K for mine (it is real clean, less than 100 hours on rebuild) at which point I might be out $10K plus rigging.
I know what you mean though.......$$$$$ it hurts!
BTW, I thought the 300 Pro Max motors were more like $17K - $18K. $21K sounds high....have you shopped around or did you just get a quote from a local shop. I hear Koty Marine out of the NE has good prices. I believe they advertise in ***boat Magazine. Good Luck!

TOBTEK
07-25-2002, 05:39 PM
H/D.....I was getting prices on the new 300-x, not that old 300 promax relic hehehe. I figure if im stepping up, might as well step really high! If ya gotta go in to debt, go deep!!! :D

27mtrcougar
07-25-2002, 07:43 PM
Hey tobek check out jacosmarine.com they have great prices on merc outboards. I bought a 2.5 a few years ago and they were great to work with.It looks like they cant ship motors anymore,other dealers must haved bitched about prices,might be worth a road trip.It looks like $17800 for 2002 300x.good luck.

Boatcop
07-25-2002, 07:56 PM
There won't be a ban on outboards currently in operation. What has happened in California, and will probably follow in other states, is that all NEW ouboards sold will have to meet minimum standards, currently CARB 2006.
All 4 stroke, EFI and direct injection ouboards sold now meet this standard.
There's been talk of a proposal to try and do away with two strokes completely by 2025, unless they can get emissions down to what is being released by a properly tuned 4 stroke.
Now, certain lakes banning "dirty" 2 strokes is a real possibility, and has already happened on Lake Tahoe.
The upside to this is that it will cut down on PWCs on inland lakes.
The downside, is that it will drive them all to Federal Waterways, such as the Colorado River and its associated lakes.
Oh yeah. I thought I'd really upset all you guys and tell you that my cost for a 225 Merc Optimax is around $7,900.00 (not a typo, that's seven thousand, nine-hundred) A 300 is only a few hundred more. eek!
(No, I can't buy one for you) frown
[ July 25, 2002, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Boatcop ]

gigamurph
07-26-2002, 01:30 AM
Boatcop:
There won't be a ban on outboards currently in operation. What has happened in California, and will probably follow in other states, is that all NEW ouboards sold will have to meet minimum standards, currently CARB 2006.
All 4 stroke, EFI and direct injection ouboards sold now meet this standard.
There's been talk of a proposal to try and do away with two strokes completely by 2025, unless they can get emissions down to what is being released by a properly tuned 4 stroke.
Now, certain lakes banning "dirty" 2 strokes is a real possibility, and has already happened on Lake Tahoe.
The upside to this is that it will cut down on PWCs on inland lakes.
The downside, is that it will drive them all to Federal Waterways, such as the Colorado River and its associated lakes.
Oh yeah. I thought I'd really upset all you guys and tell you that my cost for a 225 Merc Optimax is around $7,900.00 (not a typo, that's seven thousand, nine-hundred) A 300 is only a few hundred more. eek!
(No, I can't buy one for you) :( Hey there BC! If ya can't buy one for us; can ya buy one for yourself, set it down, look the other way, and do your best to act surprised when ya turn around and find it gone? :rolleyes:
BTW, love the avatar!
[ July 26, 2002, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: gigamurph ]

TOBTEK
07-26-2002, 09:34 AM
BOATCOP.........you couln't buy yourself a new 300x and then later sell it to a buddy, Later to find many brandnew hundrend dollar bills in your pocket? Who would be the wiser........ eek!