PDA

View Full Version : NHRA JOHN FORCE broke both legs and 1 arm in wreck

Prop Rod
09-23-2007, 11:47 AM
:( Watching the cup race and they said John Force was in a big wreck after they crossed the lines, he is alert, but two broken legs and a broken arm.:(
John Force taken to Dallas hospital after top-end accident with Bernstein
Drag racing's bigest star, 14-time champion John Force, was alert and conscious after suffering two broken legs and a broken arm in a nasty top-end collision Sunday with fellow straight-line legend Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex outisde of Dallas. Force has been airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for further treatment. Their Funny Cars got together just as they crossed the finish line with Bernstein drifting over into Force's lane after clipping the final timing cone. The numbers, although unofficial, showed Force crossing with a 4.863 at 315.34 mph to Bernstein's 4.904 at 312.06 mph.
Bernstein quickly made his way out of his Monster Energy Drink Dodge Charger R/T and was shown walking around and talking to medical and safety personnel on the large television screens at the racetrack, which brought a huge cheer from the crowd. But the mood quickly turned quiet as everyone waited for word on Force's condition. Minutes later, track announcers reported that Force was talking to EMTs but would be transported by LifeFlight Helicopter for further evaluation. Team spokesman Dave Densmore reported Force's injuries to the media. NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

Throttle
09-23-2007, 11:48 AM
ouch

carreraelite
09-23-2007, 11:48 AM
John Force taken to Dallas hospital after top-end accident with Bernstein
Drag racing's bigest star, 14-time champion John Force, was alert and conscious after suffering two broken legs and a broken arm in a nasty top-end collision Sunday with fellow straight-line legend Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex outisde of Dallas. Force has been airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for further treatment. Their Funny Cars got together just as they crossed the finish line with Bernstein drifting over into Force's lane after clipping the final timing cone. The numbers, although unofficial, showed Force crossing with a 4.863 at 315.34 mph to Bernstein's 4.904 at 312.06 mph.
Bernstein quickly made his way out of his Monster Energy Drink Dodge Charger R/T and was shown walking around and talking to medical and safety personnel on the large television screens at the racetrack, which brought a huge cheer from the crowd. But the mood quickly turned quiet as everyone waited for word on Force's condition. Minutes later, track announcers reported that Force was talking to EMTs but would be transported by LifeFlight Helicopter for further evaluation. Team spokesman Dave Densmore reported Force's injuries to the media. NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

GHT
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Any links or Video? Hope he is alright...

RitcheyRch
09-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Oh man that sucks but thankfully he is alive

Terminal Velocity
09-23-2007, 01:05 PM
there is preliminary video at espn.com.
KB did come over and clip the finish line cone, but it appears from the video that the rear tire came apart and force's car made an immediate right at which time KB and JF got together. the scary thing is that the car came apart it appears right at the foot box. the front 2/3 of the car continued along the wall to the end of the track.
It is amazing that he doesn't have more injuries IMO.
Hopefully he'll back soon.

carreraelite
09-23-2007, 01:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3033159

73kona455
09-23-2007, 01:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3033159

PHOTOGLOU
09-23-2007, 01:28 PM
Does it look like 2 cones went towards Forces car?? 1 under it... Could that have caused the tire blow out???

carreraelite
09-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Does it look like 2 cones went towards Forces car?? 1 under it... Could that have caused the tire blow out???
That's what it looks like....

Baja Big Dog
09-23-2007, 01:35 PM
If you stop the video, you can see the car broke in half, the cone looks like it caused the wreck, but if you stop it you can see it didn't.
Force wound up against the wall in his lane, not Kenny's as it appeared. His legs probably broke when he car came apart. Either way it looked ugly, glad he got out of that mess like he did.

Terminal Velocity
09-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Being that they are foam i wouldn't think it would cause a tire to let go although they do have plastic lenses for the compulink timing.:idea: It looks like the left rear is the one that let go i'd figure that'd be a one in a million shot to get the left and not the right rear.

73kona455
09-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Statement from Kenny Bernstein following Dallas incident
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9/23/2007
Kenny Bernstein
Kenny Bernstein came to the media center at the Texas Motorplex to offer his thoughts on his second-round accident with John Force. The driver of the Monster Energy Drink Dodge Charger R/T was unhurt in the incident with the 14-time champ and was evaluated and released by track medical officials.
Transcript of Bernstein's comments:
"I'll take you through the run the best I can. It was a good leave. The car was running fine through there. It got towards the centerline; about halfway down it started moving over. I kept turning and correcting as hard as I could and it just kept sticking over there right next to that centerline. Right at the finish line I said, 'Man I think this thing's gonna catch the cone,' and I guess I did with the rear tire. I just couldn't get it to come back.
"At the finish line I basically lifted the throttle and hit the parachutes at the same time, that's my procedure there. As soon as I hit the parachutes, out of the corner of my eye I saw John's black car coming towards me. It was coming over and it just hit me. We were wadded up together for a second or so there and I all I could see was nothing because there were bodies coming apart and coming up in front of you and taking your eyesight away.
"I remember seeing my body up there and driving through it and then his body. When I came out of that I saw John's car going towards the wall and it hit the wall really, really hard.
"I was a little out of control at that time. It was kind of teeter-tottering on turning over or not turning over. I was just trying to steer it and go as straight as I possibly could. Then it finally settled down and stayed on all fours. Right when I got ready to stop I saw something again out of the corner of my eye and it was the chassis and the engine, the front half of the car, passing me on the right side. I was trying to figure out what I was seeing. I let my car roll to get up there to see if I could help him but he wasn't even there. When I got out I saw all the commotion back up the track and I realized that piece that went by was just the front half of the car.
"I guarantee you something happened. John Force isn't gonna run over anybody unless something causes it. Something takes place that causes a driver to do what he does. Something had to happen. Even though I had my hands full right against that centerline as a driver you know you can't go across that and you're gonna do whatever you can to keep from it. So I certainly think something happened to his racecar.
"At that part of the racetrack you're under control down there in the sense of the word. All the stuff's over with other than the fact you're getting to the finish line. You're going pretty straight at that point in time so I would say something happened to that racecar. To come across and collect me, it definitely had to have something happen.
"I don't think I did (cross into Force's lane.) I sure don't feel like I did. I never have felt that way. I have to look at the film. I know I was close to the center but I don't think I ever went across it with the entire car. Jimmy Walsh [crew chief] went down there and looked at the tracks and the rear tire hit the last cone. But I was totally under control when I reached up to pull the parachutes. I just thought I'd given the race away.
"I actually saw him coming my way. I saw the front of his car pointed towards me. I actually saw that. Now I'm not talking 90 degrees, but certainly a 45. For him to come across to where you can see it, he's got to be pretty far across on you. Otherwise you would never see him.
"I got a ride way back down the course and when he was on the stretcher he was saying, 'Did I hit anybody?' They were telling him 'It's okay, John,' and I went up and said 'John, it's Bernstein, I'm okay.' He was a little delirious because he kept asking if he hit me so I don't know how much he'll remember.
"On my side, physically I'm fine. I did have a little big of a headache right when I stopped and that's from my head going back and forth in the roll cage. Because of John's work in that area, putting those extra pads up in there, it's not as bad and I'm thankful for that. If it had been the old pads, I'd a had a lot worse headache. It was pretty violent when we got together."
Related article(s):

photo chick
09-23-2007, 02:40 PM
What a bummer for John, so sorry to hear this, I love that man!! Bernstein is good but in person what an a hole he is!!! Has nothing to do with the crash but thought I'd add it anyways!

asch
09-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Bernstein's always been an asshole. Even though they are supposed friends, John's a way better sportsman and person. He'll make it through alright

BoatPI
09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
The show is on ESPN 2 NOW!!

smoker
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
From watching the video, can you imagine what would have happened if Bernstein's car hadn't blocked Force's car? Would have been head on into the wall. We'd be having a whole different conversation now.

flatnfast
09-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Drag racing's biggest star, 14-time champion John Force, suffered a left broken ankle and wrist in a nasty top-end collision Sunday with fellow NHRA legend Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex outside of Dallas. Force was airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for further treatment.
Their Funny Cars got together just after they crossed the finish line. The numbers, although unofficial, showed Force crossing with a 4.863 at 315.34 mph to Bernstein's 4.904 at 312.06 mph.
Update: 6:20 p.m. Sunday: Doctors updated John Force's family and team following a thorough evaluation of his multiple injuries and the prognosis for a full recovery is very good.
Force sustained a broken left ankle and severe abrasion on his right knee. Force's left wrist also was dislocated and broken and he sustained some severe abrasions and slight fractures on a number of fingers on his right hand.
Throughout all procedures Force was alert and responsive. CAT scans performed came back negative and showed no damage other than the injuries to his legs and hands. Surgeons will begin cleaning a number of his injuries tonight and possibly setting his fractures if the swelling is at an acceptable level.
Prior reports
Team spokesman Dave Densmore initially reported Force's injuries to the media. "He was asking to talk to Laurie, his wife, and Ashley and Robert Hight, so that was a good sign," Densmore said. "He is in a lot of pain, obviously. They can't take passengers on the helicopter so the family is off to the hospital in a car."
ESPN2 will air complete coverage from Dallas at 7 p.m. Eastern
"John has very serious injuries to his hands, his legs, and his feet that will require extensive work-up and treatment," said NHRA doctor Dwight Shewchuk, who was first on the scene with the Safety Safari. "Nothing appears life-threatening at this time but he certainly has significant injuries so he's been taking to Baylor Hospital where he'll be further evaluated.
"Although he was alert and conscious throughout the whole thing he was demonstrating some signs of a concussion as he was asking the same question over and over. But his vital signs were stable and he's on his way."
Daughter Ashley Force, who won her second-round race with Del Worsham, opted not to compete in the semifinals.
Said Bernstein, who was not injured in the incident, "First of all I just pray that John's going to be okay," Bernstein said. "I know he's hurt and the main thing I'm praying for is that he gets 100-percent recovery. That's more important than anything right now for me, Sheryl, and our team. I know he was talking to me there and he was asking if he hurt me. That's typical John right there. He'll be okay. He's a strong-willed man, he'll be fine."
NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.

73kona455
09-23-2007, 03:30 PM
From watching the video, can you imagine what would have happened if Bernstein's car hadn't blocked Force's car? Would have been head on into the wall. We'd be having a whole different conversation now.
John was not in the part that bernstien hit.. that was just the front 1/2 of the chassis and the body.. john was against the guard rail on the other side of the track in the rear 1/2 of the car.. when the parachute deployed in snatched the car in half...

73kona455
09-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Update: 6:20 p.m. Sunday: Doctors updated John Force's family and team following a thorough evaluation of his multiple injuries and the prognosis for a full recovery is very good.
Force sustained a broken left ankle and severe abrasion on his right knee. Force's left wrist also was dislocated and broken and he sustained some severe abrasions and slight fractures on a number of fingers on his right hand.
Throughout all procedures Force was alert and responsive. CAT scans performed came back negative and showed no damage other than the injuries to his legs and hands. Surgeons will begin cleaning a number of his injuries tonight and possibly setting his fractures if the swelling is at an acceptable level.

Throttle
09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
is the news tonite downplaying it? they only spoke of a broken wrist and ankle, wtf :idea:

Prop Rod
09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
HOLY CRAP!!
The video was wicked, I think he's lucky, like someone else said, could you imagine what that would have been like if Kenny wasnt there to take some of the impact? Glad to see that he's going to be OK.

carreraelite
09-23-2007, 06:24 PM
DALLAS -- Drag-racing star John Force was alert and conscious Sunday after sustaining serious injuries in a wreck with Funny Car rival Kenny Bernstein during the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex in Ennis.
Team spokesman Elon Werner said the 58-year-old Force broke his left ankle and his left wrist and suffered a severe abrasion to his right knee.
"John's chassis broke in half and the engine and front two wheels were over in Kenny's lane, and that's what Kenny hit," Werner said.
Force, a 14-time champion, was airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, where Werner said doctors planned surgery Sunday night to clean up the abrasions and possibly set the broken bones.
"He was alert and obviously in a lot of pain, but the whole time he was asking questions. His primary concern was for Kenny Bernstein," Werner said.
Werner said a CT scan came back negative for internal injuries. He also said Force sustained some minor fractures and severe abrasions to the tips of his fingers.
The John Force Team issued a statement saying the prognosis for a full recovery was very good.
The wreck occurred just after the two cars crossed the finish line in the second round of eliminations.
Daughter Ashley Force, also a Funny Car driver, pulled out of the semifinals.
Force's wife, Laurie; Ashley; and son-in-law Robert Hight -- also a Funny Car driver -- were with him at the hospital.
"First of all, I just pray that John's going to be OK," said Bernstein, who wasn't injured in the accident. "I know he's hurt and the main thing I'm praying for is that he gets 100-percent recovery. That's more important than anything right now for me, Sheryl, and our team. I know he was talking to me there and he was asking if he hurt me. That's typical John right there. He'll be OK. He's a strong-willed man. He'll be fine."
Top Fuel winner Larry Dixon spoke about Force.
"I'm glad that [John Force is] alive," Dixon said. "From that point you can fix anything. A lot of credit goes to the Safety Safari, the medical team, and the rules package for the way the cars have to be built so that you can survive an accident like that. I feel safer in my car that goes 330 mph than I do in my rental car going 55 mph on the way to the track. I feel like I could run over a nuclear bomb, and I trust in that. He'll be back racing one day. You can count on that."
Ennis is about 30 miles south-southeast of Dallas.

73kona455
09-23-2007, 06:34 PM
HOLY CRAP!!
The video was wicked, I think he's lucky, like someone else said, could you imagine what that would have been like if Kenny wasnt there to take some of the impact? Glad to see that he's going to be OK.
Kenny did not take any of the impact off John.. that was just the front 1/2 of the chassis and the body in Kenny's lane.. the rear half of the car with john in it went up against the guard rail in his own lane.... John is in the piece of car thats on the right side of the picture....
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/9/26522323723.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6692804)

Prop Rod
09-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Kenny did not take any of the impact off John.. that was just the front 1/2 of the chassis and the body in Kenny's lane.. the rear half of the car with john in it went up against the guard rail in his own lane.... John is in the piece of car thats on the right side of the picture....
http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/9/26522323723.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6692804)
I didnt even see that!:2purples: Holy crap.

Moneypitt
09-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Don Purdomme kinda leaked an un mentioned cause when he said "The car was cut in half"....Leads me to believe the engine blew and the schrapnel cut the frame...If you watch closely it looked like the car buckled in the middle as the rear half was throwing parts and pieces everywhere. I know he was off the gas pedal, but those engines can do alot of internal damage when the torque reverses at shutdown.......There was also a flash of fire out the top of the engine as everything was going bad.......Lets all hope for a speedy and complete recovery for the "champ". but I would say his season is over. I know he will be VERY upset that Ashley withdrew from the semi finals to go to hospital, she was in the top 8 towards the countdown, and is now outside looking in...........MP
PS, the left ankle was a compound fracture, the right knee has an abrasion to the bone and possible tendon damage, the left wrist is broken and dis located, and several R/ hand fingers were broken and abraded.......Serious stuff, but I though he was dead as I saw the wreck. BTW, I also have to disagree with previously mentioned opinions about Kenny Bernstein, I knew him back in the late 70s, early 80s, and he was always quite congenial.........

MikeF
09-23-2007, 06:57 PM
You can see his legs flailing around in the slow motion (hit pause) in the video. Chassis pulled apart just ahead of the seat!

Cs19
09-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Mike Dunn mentioned the funnys cars are designed to snap in half at the rear motorplate in a heavy impact just like Johns car did.
Been reading the drag racing forums, no word on wether the tire let go by itself or if the timing blocks that KB kicked up had something to do with it. The timing blocks are mostly foam and some plastic from what I understand, hard to believe that would get through a tire but you never know. The shot of J. Force's feet in the helicopter freaked me out..NHRA media is out of control IMO.
Get well John.

73kona455
09-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Sunday, 9:30 p.m. Central: Fourteen-time NHRA POWERade Funny Car champion John Force is undergoing surgery at Baylor University Medical Center to repair damage to his knee, ankle, and wrist sustained in a high-speed collision with fellow competitor Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex.
Force entered surgery at 8 p.m. Central time for what is expected to be a four-hour surgery, according to team publicist Dave Densmore.

hava life
09-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Even if the cones are foam, you have one fly across your car at 300mph it's going to do damage. Sounds like Kenny should have kept his mouth shut until he saw the video.

Cs19
09-23-2007, 09:17 PM
I was wrong, the chassis is designed to snap at the front motorplate so the driver does not get exposed, its not designed to snap where his snapped. I read about a possible clutch failure getting through the titanium bellhousing and sawing off the tubes, or a piece of KBs body getting into a tire or even just a chassis failure..Sure looked like a tire failure to me.

1 Baja Guy
09-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Here's another link.. Really can see and hear what happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuN5cfgGUQM
He's lucky he's still with us. Good luck on your recovery

Bense468
09-23-2007, 10:09 PM
shit happens fast on the big end. Sounds like he will be okay, I watched it as soon as it came on today. Hopefully he will get a full recovery. Tough year for JF racing this year.
On a side note. Connolly is on fire, whats that 4 in a row now.
I think the new points system blows, I was looking forward to capps taking a championship, hopefully they can pull something together in richmond.

PaPaG
09-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Ouch

09-23-2007, 10:42 PM
I know he will be VERY upset that Ashley withdrew from the semi finals to go to hospital, she was in the top 8 towards the countdown, and is now outside looking in...........MP
Correction: Ashley did not make the 8 toward the countdown to 4. She was playing spoiler this weekend with one BAD hot-rod that could have won. John will still be pissed though!:angry2:
Prayers with the Force family and team...

73kona455
09-24-2007, 04:08 AM
Monday, 1:30 a.m. Central: Good news from Baylor University Medical Center where doctors operating on 14-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force were able to set his broken left ankle and determined that his wrist was not broken but just severely dislocated.
According to teamspokesman Elon Werner, doctors inserted three pins into Force's ankle to set it, and also inserted three temporary pins to stabilize his wrist.
Force came through the surgery well. A full update will be issued by the team midday Monday

photo chick
09-24-2007, 04:16 AM
Good morning America just reported on this... they said "one driver" bla bla bla and the "other driver" bla bla bla....they didn't even take the time to say their names! :mad: very rude!
Glad to hear his injuries aren't as bad as originally thought. He's only 20 minutes from my house, think they'd let me in to say "hey John"? If it were up to him he'd probably say yes, he's such a cool dude!!
Heal quickly John!!

Jerrys59
09-24-2007, 04:48 AM
Monday, 1:30 a.m. Central: Good news from Baylor University Medical Center where doctors operating on 14-time NHRA Funny Car champ John Force were able to set his broken left ankle and determined that his wrist was not broken but just severely dislocated.
According to teamspokesman Elon Werner, doctors inserted three pins into Force's ankle to set it, and also inserted three temporary pins to stabilize his wrist.
Force came through the surgery well. A full update will be issued by the team midday Monday.
Sunday, 9:30 p.m. Central: Fourteen-time NHRA POWERade Funny Car champion John Force is undergoing surgery at Baylor University Medical Center to repair damage to his knee, ankle, and wrist sustained in a high-speed collision with fellow competitor Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex.
Force entered surgery at 8 p.m. Central time for what is expected to be a four-hour surgery, according to team publicist Dave Densmore.
Sunday: updated 6:20 p.m. Central: Drag racing's biggest star, 14-time NHRA POWERade champion John Force, suffered a left broken ankle and wrist in a nasty top-end collision Sunday with fellow NHRA legend Kenny Bernstein in the second round of eliminations at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex outside of Dallas. Force was airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas for further treatment.
Their Funny Cars got together just after they crossed the finish line. The numbers, although unofficial, showed Force crossing with a 4.863 at 315.34 mph to Bernstein's 4.904 at 312.06 mph.
Doctors updated John Force's family and team following a thorough evaluation of his multiple injuries and the prognosis for a full recovery is very good.
Prior reports:
Team spokesman Dave Densmore initially reported Force's injuries to the media using information he had at the time. "He was asking to talk to Laurie, his wife, and Ashley and Robert Hight, so that was a good sign," Densmore said. "He is in a lot of pain, obviously. They can't take passengers on the helicopter so the family is off to the hospital in a car."
ESPN2 will air complete coverage from Dallas at 7 p.m. Eastern
"John has very serious injuries to his hands, his legs, and his feet that will require extensive work-up and treatment," said NHRA doctor Dwight Shewchuk, who was first on the scene with the Safety Safari. "Nothing appears life-threatening at this time but he certainly has significant injuries so he's been taking to Baylor Hospital where he'll be further evaluated.
"Although he was alert and conscious throughout the whole thing he was demonstrating some signs of a concussion as he was asking the same question over and over. But his vital signs were stable and he's on his way."
Daughter Ashley Force, who won her second-round race with Del Worsham, opted not to compete in the semifinals.
Said Bernstein, who was not injured in the incident, "First of all I just pray that John's going to be okay," Bernstein said. "I know he's hurt and the main thing I'm praying for is that he gets 100-percent recovery. That's more important than anything right now for me, Sheryl, and our team. I know he was talking to me there and he was asking if he hurt me. That's typical John right there. He'll be okay. He's a strong-willed man, he'll be fine."
NHRA.com will provide more information on this breaking story as it becomes available.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

carreraelite
09-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Drag-racing star John Force recovering from surgery after wreck
DALLAS - Drag-racing star John Force's prognosis was "very good" Monday after six hours of surgery following a wreck Sunday at the O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals at Texas Motorplex.
Force has a compound fracture of his left ankle, a lacerated right knee, a dislocated left wrist and abrasions on two fingers on his right hand. He had screws inserted into his ankle and temporary pins placed in his wrist, said David Densmore, publicist for John Force Racing.
Densmore said Force will miss the rest of the NHRA season, which has three scheduled dates remaining in Richmond, Va., Las Vegas and Pomona, Calif. Force is fourth in the Funny Car standings.
"He's doing fine," Densmore said. "He had six hours of surgery yesterday evening and came through it very well. Surgeons did all the repairs in one session and the prognosis is very good."
Force, a 14-time champion, wrecked Sunday while racing Funny Car rival Kenny Bernstein. A video of the accident shows Bernstein's car drifting toward Force's lane and striking a foam timing block, which shot into the back of Force's car. Force swerved across Bernstein's lane into the retaining wall. Bernstein then rammed into Force's car, breaking the chassis in two.
The NHRA is investigating the accident, NHRA spokesman Anthony Vestal said. Several laboratories will examine parts of the tires and broken chassis.
Force, 58, was airlifted to Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, where he underwent surgery. He was alert and conscious following the accident and a CT scan came back negative for internal injuries, team spokesman Elon Werner said.
Daughter Ashley Force, also a Funny Car driver, pulled out of the semifinals. John Force, who won his race with Bernstein, could have met her in the finals for the first time had both won, Densmore said.
"I am sure that he will be somewhat depressed when he realizes his circumstances," Densmore said. "He had just driven his way into contention for another championship."
Force's wife, Laurie; Ashley; and son-in-law Robert Hight - also a Funny Car driver - were with him at the hospital.
Force and his four daughters are the subjects of a reality TV show on A&E called "Driving Force." Three of his daughters are drivers and one is an executive in John Force Racing.
Force has suffered at least one other serious accident in more than three decades of racing, Densmore said. A 1992 accident in Memphis, Tenn., left Force with second-degree burns on his face and hands.

Terminal Velocity
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't count Force out yet he's one tough Sum-Biatch...on his feet today to see how much weight he can put on it? :eek:
Wonder if they could whip up some kinda air assist on the clutch:idea:
http://www.nhra.com/counter.htm

73kona455
09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
John Force is on his feet at Baylor University Medical Center, just one day after his horrifying accident with Kenny Bernstein at the Texas Motorplex. Under the direction of his team of doctors, Force is out of his bed and seeing how much weight he can bear on his repaired left ankle and right knee.
"He isn't happy about standing up, but he is standing up," Force's longtime public relations director Dave Densmore told me from the hospital. "I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. It's an incredible recovery.
"He was asking earlier this morning what it would take to race in Richmond (Va.) in two weeks but the doctors are having none of it. He'll be out for the year, I would certainly guess at this point. But you know John; he's very hard to keep down."
I think it's safe to say John will attend all of the remaining races this year, even if he's on crutches or in a wheelchair. Hurry back, man, we need you out there.

Terminal Velocity
09-24-2007, 03:25 PM
guess i could have done that (above) instead of just the link.

Mrs.Moose on the loose
09-24-2007, 05:58 PM
That sounds just like him, He is a very strong will man, and thank god he survived. we were devastated last night and all day today, He in our eyes is the best!!!!!!! May the FORCE be with him now.

73kona455
09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Monday, 6;45p.m. CT: John Force, seriously injured Sunday in the crash of his Castrol GTX High Mileage Ford Mustang Funny Car during the 22nd annual O'Reilly Auto Parts Fall Nationals at the Texas Motorplex, was undergoing physical therapy Monday at Baylor University Medical Center following six hours of reconstructive surgery Sunday night on his feet, legs and hands.
The 14-time NHRA Funny Car champion suffered a compound fracture of the left ankle, a deep laceration of the right knee down to the bone, broken fingers and lacerations on the right hand and a dislocated left wrist that originally was diagnosed as a dislocation and break.
The 125-time tour winner's injuries were tended by Alan Jones, M.D., orthopedic traumatologist, Michael Foreman, M.D., chief of trauma services, and David Zehr, M.D., orthopedic surgeon and hand specialist.
“We don't really know what went wrong,” Force said Monday after viewing video of the crash for the first time. “I don't remember much. I remember thinking that I had to cut a light to beat (rival) Kenny Bernstein. The next thing I remember is them trying to get me out of the car.”
Force's race car broke in half just beyond the finish line at the end of a victorious second round. The front half of the car then shot across the center line, crashing into Bernstein's Dodge, separating the carbon fiber body from the chassis. Meanwhile, the back half of Force's car, with the 58-year-old driver still strapped in the seat, came to rest on its side against the leftside guardwall.
“I was worried about Bernstein,” Force said, “because I knew he was in the other lane. I didn't want to hurt anybody, especially Kenny. He's a good friend and a great competitor – and he did nothing wrong. In fact, he did a great driving job.
“I'm just lucky to have my legs. I gnawed off some fingers and toes, but they had me up trying to stand today. They're great people here at Baylor and I know they'll get me up and around as soon as they can.
“The car pulled in half and I've never seen that, ever. A tire came off the car just as I put the parachutes out and it literally pulled the car apart. I just feel so helpless and vulnerable. I've been on fire from here to Australia. I've had some burns, but I've gotten out of every crash and never had a scratch. I've never had a broken bone (before) so this is all new to me.”

kingsransomracing
09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Heres an Interview of John in the hospital.
http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=21573@ktvt.dayport.com

All-Star
09-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Kenny crossed over the line, Hit the cone(s) and one shot over and blew out his tire.
This is my opinion.
Just check it out and looks totally reasonable.
Wow that is crazy.
And yes he is still the toughest guy around, and he will exceed any doctors expectations.
Speedy recovery wishes to him!!!
MUAH!

Moneypitt
09-24-2007, 09:09 PM
John was in front of Kenny. Any cones Kenny hit would've stayed behind John. Even if Kenny smacked them forward Johns car was covering too much ground @ 300+ MPH for a cone to catch him. I haven't seen the latest video, just the one from the races, which IMO, showed the cones were behind John. I saw all sorts of stuff coming out the rear of Johns car before the chassis buckled, as well as a fire ball up top.....Eric died as a result of a blown tire, but his car, a virtual twin, did not break up, and IMO, chutes don't "pull" cars apart.......MP

126driver
09-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Heres an Interview of John in the hospital.
http://cbs11tv.com/video/?id=21573@ktvt.dayport.com
That guy is amazing.

Baja Big Dog
09-25-2007, 07:10 AM
Have you ever seen him so humbled???

All-Star
09-25-2007, 07:17 AM
John was in front of Kenny. Any cones Kenny hit would've stayed behind John. Even if Kenny smacked them forward Johns car was covering too much ground @ 300+ MPH for a cone to catch him. I haven't seen the latest video, just the one from the races, which IMO, showed the cones were behind John. I saw all sorts of stuff coming out the rear of Johns car before the chassis buckled, as well as a fire ball up top.....Eric died as a result of a blown tire, but his car, a virtual twin, did not break up, and IMO, chutes don't "pull" cars apart.......MP
Check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuN5cfgGUQM
at 4:35 at the end of the race...he let off and activate the chute
at this point Kenny is in front and then activates his chute which slows him down and then John is in front again.
Like I said it was only an initial opinion or theroy. But there seems to be a ton of things happening all at the same time... stuff flying everywhere.
And I agree with you... chutes dont pull cars apart.

carreraelite
09-25-2007, 02:29 PM
It would be interesting to see video from Johns side of the track....