PDA

View Full Version : Dominator Pump question

BigBlockBaja
09-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Boating season is about done around here so I decided to yank my pump out of the boat. In my research for a rebuild kit for it, I noticed that there are 2 kits for early pumps and later pumps. What was changed between the two models?
Reason I ask is when I pulled the bowl off, I found the normal A impeller in there. I looked at American Turbine and Berkeley's websites at the HP to rpm chart. With me spinning that A impeller at 5000 rpm, its saying I have 400 hp.
Are the impellers between the two styles the same? Does 400 hp and only 63 on the gps sound right?

502 JET
09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
The JPC says that both impellers are close to each other, requiring almost identical hp to turn 5k rpms.
As for your numbers their rite on when put in the JPC.

MADDOG355
09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
There are some things to consider, What hull do you have? I know Baja made some pretty big boats as far as jets go. and pump condition matters also. What about a loader grate? Too much loader will hurt your speed as well.

BigBlockBaja
09-24-2007, 01:50 AM
The JPC says that both impellers are close to each other, requiring almost identical hp to turn 5k rpms.
As for your numbers their rite on when put in the JPC.
Hey 502, where can I get the JPC program? I remember it was online awhile ago, but disappeared.

BigBlockBaja
09-24-2007, 01:55 AM
There are some things to consider, What hull do you have? I know Baja made some pretty big boats as far as jets go. and pump condition matters also. What about a loader grate? Too much loader will hurt your speed as well.
I used to have a Baja when I registered here. It has since moved on to a better place. It was a very heavy hull. I think it weighed somewhere around 1100 pounds empty
As far as the pump condition goes, I found the impeller to be near perfect. I haven't measured impeller to wear ring clearance yet, but there inst much play in the shaft when I move it around in the pump. There is a loader in there. I'm not sure on the make. I will get a picture of it today. If I had too much loader wouldn't that hurt my rpms also?

alien2
09-24-2007, 06:08 AM
The difference is the wear ring OD.
The later uses everything that fits a Berkeley.
I think as I remember the change was at 14,000 something serial number . . .
____

alien2
09-24-2007, 06:14 AM
The graph is just a rough guide . . .
It fits somewhat with all impellers except Aggressor.
Aggressor impellers = one letter higher than they are.

BigBlockBaja
09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Got the Pump apart today. I found that the impeller and wear ring almost look new. Here are some pics.
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/7109/suctioncz2.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/3349/impeller1oa4.jpg
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/8391/impeller2wi6.jpg
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9493/wearring1af3.jpg
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3035/wearring2ti3.jpg
I was going to put HTP's ultimate wear ring in there, but this one looks pretty good.
Here is my plan, figure I would run it by you guys and get your input. If I'm running 5000 rpm's with an A impeller which puts me at 400 hp. I was thinking of running an AA Impeller and dropping my rpm's for now till I can afford some nice aluminum heads. Right now I still have the old stock truck heads on there. When I save enough money to invest in them plus some roller rockers, I figure that should put me almost at the 500 hp mark. Then with the AA impeller plus 500 hp should push me above 75 mph or so?

BigBlockBaja
09-24-2007, 04:17 PM
The difference is the wear ring OD.
The later uses everything that fits a Berkeley.
I think as I remember the change was at 14,000 something serial number . . .
____
Thats what i'm learning as I research this more. Here is a pic of my pump tag.
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2480/pumptagun8.jpg

MudPumper
09-25-2007, 08:56 AM
Lets see a pic of the bowl on the exit side. Looks like you have the early Dominator. It's pretty restrictive and can be opened up to flow a lot better.

alien2
09-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Save your money and stay with the "A"
After you get the Alu. heads and you see where you're at, then you can get an impeller if you need it . . . In the mean time look around for a "good deal" on a stainless or a bronze one. ;)
From time to time there are some really good deals on Ebay.

BigBlockBaja
09-25-2007, 02:02 PM
Lets see a pic of the bowl on the exit side. Looks like you have the early Dominator. It's pretty restrictive and can be opened up to flow a lot better.
Here ya go.
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8905/bowl1mm5.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2944/bowl2ve1.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2140/bowl3uu5.jpg
I've been thinking, Is it worth rebuilding this pump? As Alien2 said that the wear ring is different and MudPumper saying the bowl is restrictive. Should I stop with this one before I start dumping money into it and find a newer Dominator or a Berk?

Rondane
09-25-2007, 02:47 PM
I've been thinking, Is it worth rebuilding this pump? As Alien2 said that the wear ring is different and MudPumper saying the bowl is restrictive. Should I stop with this one before I start dumping money into it and find a newer Dominator or a Berk?
that is not an early dominator...its just one of the early GOOD ones. That pump can get much better. It all looks good on the inside. Why did you take it apart anyways? If anything i would look into a stuffer for the bowl.
that bowl is like night and day to any EARLY style dominator. What you have is better than a berkeley.
rondane

BigBlockBaja
09-25-2007, 03:16 PM
that is not an early dominator...its just one of the early GOOD ones. That pump can get much better. It all looks good on the inside. Why did you take it apart anyways? If anything i would look into a stuffer for the bowl.
that bowl is like night and day to any EARLY style dominator. What you have is better than a berkeley.
rondane
The stuffer would be on the wish list for sure. I took it apart mainly to see what impeller was in there. I had a real hard time believing I had 400hp. I thought there may be a b cut in there. Plus, the boat was kinda n***ar rigged when I got it so I figured I would go through it and refresh it. What diameter impeller would an early Dominater have? I measured mine and it looks to be about 7 1/4 inchs.
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5198/impeller3kt0.jpg

MudPumper
09-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Here ya go.
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/8905/bowl1mm5.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2944/bowl2ve1.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2140/bowl3uu5.jpg
that is not one of the small bowls. You're good to go with that one.

alien2
09-26-2007, 05:24 AM
It's not the impeller that is different, it's the outside diameter of the wear ring.
The recess in the suction housing where the wear ring fits is the part that is different (smaller) on the old style Dominators.
HTP makes one of their orange wear rings for those too . . .
There is nothing wrong with that pump and is infact desired by some. The bowl is a nice piece because it's longer than a Berkeley bowl and in some cases works better . . . more leverage, less weted area.
_______

Cs19
09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/5198/impeller3kt0.jpg
you dont measure any part of an impeller with a tape measure,you need precision measuring tools. If your trying to measure the cut size you need to measure the other side.

BigBlockBaja
09-26-2007, 04:34 PM
It's not the impeller that is different, it's the outside diameter of the wear ring.
The recess in the suction housing where the wear ring fits is the part that is different (smaller) on the old style Dominators.
HTP makes one of their orange wear rings for those too . . .
There is nothing wrong with that pump and is infact desired by some. The bowl is a nice piece because it's longer than a Berkeley bowl and in some cases works better . . . more leverage, less weted area.
_______
I understand now. I think for this rebuild I'm going just replace all the seals and gaskets. Plus install one of those new packing gland seals from HTP to give it a try. I was going to install a stuffer, but I'm not sure if I need one. I was told a dominator impeller seals up to the bowl. I will post a pic of the backside of my impeller tommorrow and see what ya all think of it.
Thanks again for all your help.

BigBlockBaja
09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
you dont measure any part of an impeller with a tape measure,you need precision measuring tools. If your trying to measure the cut size you need to measure the other side.
I know. I just don't own a caliper that will go that big right now. I ordered a new one tonight so I can get some measurements on it. I was using the tape measure for a reference so I can show people what an early Dominator's impellers diameter was.

Rondane
09-26-2007, 05:47 PM
I understand now. I think for this rebuild I'm going just replace all the seals and gaskets. Plus install one of those new packing gland seals from HTP to give it a try.
Thanks again for all your help.
Why not call the place that invented the packing seal, Dons Pump Service in ohio, (614) 488-1335. BUY DIRECT and SAVE $$$. He specializes in dominator FYI. Just a thought. :idea:
Last i checked ohio is a bit closer to NJ than missouri.

Cs19
09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
I know. I just don't own a caliper that will go that big right now. I ordered a new one tonight so I can get some measurements on it. I was using the tape measure for a reference so I can show people what an early Dominator's impellers diameter was.
That impellers wear ring surface is the same as the others, its the OD of the wear ring that can be the oddball size.

BigBlockBaja
10-05-2007, 02:53 PM
That impellers wear ring surface is the same as the others, its the OD of the wear ring that can be the oddball size.
Finely got my 8" digital caliper in the mail today.
Looks like the impeller wear ring surface OD is 7.225
The wear ring ID is 7.233
Wear ring OD looks to be 7.589
Does this seem to check out?

Slacker
10-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Check on the wear ring before you pull it out, your pump looks like mine when we pulled it out early this year. It had a bronze wear ring that i mistaking had to cut out. It should have stayed in as my pump builder had to get one special from out in Cali... I was told that the other wear rings would not work because of the early style dominator. Not a pump expert, relying on his years of expertise. I could be wrong on some of the details but that is basics...

gr16241
10-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Why not call the place that invented the packing seal, Dons Pump Service in ohio, (614) 488-1335. BUY DIRECT and SAVE $$$. He specializes in dominator FYI. Just a thought. :idea:
Last i checked ohio is a bit closer to NJ than missouri.
Be wary of Dons Pump Sevice. They are in a state of termoil right now. Don passed away awhile back and the business was being run by his son. Apparently his son has had some medical issues and isn't running the company either. Now it is my understanding that Dons daughter is trying to keep things together. I wish them the very best although they are struggling a bit right now.

BigBlockBaja
10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Check on the wear ring before you pull it out, your pump looks like mine when we pulled it out early this year. It had a bronze wear ring that i mistaking had to cut out. It should have stayed in as my pump builder had to get one special from out in Cali... I was told that the other wear rings would not work because of the early style dominator. Not a pump expert, relying on his years of expertise. I could be wrong on some of the details but that is basics...
Just got off the phone with HTP. Found out that someone went through this pump pretty good. Its an old style intake with a custom wear ring. There is no plastic insulator in there. To use any standard wear ring in this pump, I would have to turn my impeller down to fit it.
So instead of ordering a full rebuild kit, I was stuck with just getting replacement gaskets. I figure I would just put it back together for now. OR should I wait and search for a Berkelely or newer Dominator suction housing and combine my parts into it?

Rondane
10-10-2007, 06:08 AM
Just got off the phone with HTP. Found out that someone went through this pump pretty good. Its an old style intake with a custom wear ring. There is no plastic insulator in there. To use any standard wear ring in this pump, I would have to turn my impeller down to fit it.
So instead of ordering a full rebuild kit, I was stuck with just getting replacement gaskets. I figure I would just put it back together for now. OR should I wait and search for a Berkelely or newer Dominator suction housing and combine my parts into it?
one question...WHY would you want or need to order a full rebuild kit? the impeller looks great(7.225 is perfect), wear ring looks good but the measurement 7.233 seems off? Is that measurement correct? IF anything, just put it back together....it's been working fine for you right? Seems that they were pretty crafty to me...not a "gone thru the pump pretty good" hacker type secenario that is implied?. Could the wear ring be "pinned" in the housing possibly? That housing is NOT an OLD housing either FYI. It says DOMINATOR on the side...the early ones didnt. It is far from junk or an oddball. Guess if you dont run that special plastic wear ring....better replace EVERYTHING until you can. :rolleyes:
dude do yourself a favor....get a second opinion(ie: DPS, a DOMINATOR distributor, they might even have the w/r that fits it, special or not) or even tom a JBP. They WONT talk you into buying something you DONT need. Just an HONEST thought.
rondane

Cs19
10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Finely got my 8" digital caliper in the mail today.
Looks like the impeller wear ring surface OD is 7.225
The wear ring ID is 7.233
Wear ring OD looks to be 7.589
Does this seem to check out?
No that does sound right, take another measurement on the wear ring ID, it should be 7.250 or larger.