PDA

View Full Version : A question for the jet boat gurus.....HELP

ahhell
09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
OK...so I take the boat out today, dropped in at Jack Smith, idle out to the river hit it and takes off great....then I notice that I have a sound and a minor vibration, very minor, sounds like I have a blower whine, cant figure it out? the drive shaft is lubed, the oil is new this season (20-/+ hours) great oil preassure (60+) The sound is in direct proportion to the speed...I go faster It gets louder...??????
any ideas??? did I loose a wear ring? blow a drive shaft bearing? Im not a wrench so I dont know
Thanks for any help Bob

OverKill
09-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Same thing happen to me before my pump rebuild. Sure enough I had to much forward movement with the pump shaft. IMO your pump just might need to be freshened up.
OH did it sound like a belt slipping in a car? If so I would say it is the pump.
OverKill

McIntyrelocal
09-23-2007, 04:18 PM
sounds like the front bearing in the jet. dont let it go any longer if the bearing goes it could hert the motor by taking all force from the water pressure and pushing forward on the motor. that causes a ton of heat on the crank an could trash everything.

ahhell
09-23-2007, 04:25 PM
sounds like the front bearing in the jet. dont let it go any longer if the bearing goes it could hert the motor by taking all force from the water pressure and pushing forward on the motor. that causes a ton of heat on the crank an could trash everything.
Today 05:16 PM
Same thing happen to me before my pump rebuild. Sure enough I had to much forward movement with the pump shaft. IMO your pump just might need to be freshened up.
OH did it sound like a belt slipping in a car? If so I would say it is the pump.
OverKill
It was a weird sound, almost like a turbo or a blower, didnt have the high screech of a slipping belt, also, the sound sounded like it was coming out of the ski locker, which to me would deffinatley be a transmitted vibration which made me think of beang/wear ring...???
I'll probably take her down to the boat guys this week and let someone with some knowledge check it out...time for a new steering cable anyways

OverKill
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Well before it gets dark now. Go out side and crawl under the intake and see if there is anything sucked up. Then take the grate of and try and move the pump shaft forward and back. I will bet you its wear ring/ impellor/bearing problems.

McIntyrelocal
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
sound exactly like a bearing i know that sound all to well. unfortunatly.but were all better know 7000 dollars later. whole new pump, had to fix motor.with some other repairs included.

OverKill
09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
sound exactly like a bearing i know that sound all to well. unfortunatly.but were all better know 7000 dollars later. whole new pump, had to fix motor.with some other repairs included.
YOu sound like me bud. New motor re build/ pump rebuild 7K later. Expensive stuff aint it.

McIntyrelocal
09-23-2007, 04:54 PM
YOu sound like me bud. New motor re build/ pump rebuild 7K later. Expensive stuff aint it.
that it is,but i havent stopped yet and i dont see it happening any time soon eather.:D

ahhell
09-23-2007, 05:00 PM
OK, went out to the boat and the shaft seems to be solid, intake is clean, I think its time to rebuild the pump...
heres a pic looking down the external clean-out
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/135_3577.JPG

OverKill
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Ya Bud I would say it's time for a rebuild. I also wouldn't run her again until you have that Pump re built. As said earlier, you can hurt your motor if you don't IMO
OverKill

ahhell
09-23-2007, 05:13 PM
yeah, its getting to be quad temperature anyway....:D
thanks for the input guys, helps alot

Cs19
09-23-2007, 07:51 PM
T. bearing or U joints

Cas
09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
ok, this may sound a bit far fetched but it happened to me. Check to make sure the throttle cable isn't touching the alt belt. We were cruising across the lake when I felt a little vibration on my foot and was hearing a weird ass noise. The throttle cable was just barely touching the belt making the noise and vibrating through the cable.
In any case, hopefully it's something simple!

ahhell
09-25-2007, 05:34 AM
ok, this may sound a bit far fetched but it happened to me. Check to make sure the throttle cable isn't touching the alt belt. We were cruising across the lake when I felt a little vibration on my foot and was hearing a weird ass noise. The throttle cable was just barely touching the belt making the noise and vibrating through the cable.
In any case, hopefully it's something simple!
checked the cable and no such luck, but the idea deffinately made sense...oh well, at least its the end of the season

ahhell
10-03-2007, 08:00 PM
:cry: :cry: well...apperantley I cracked the impeller in half which took out the wear ring and the lip on the bowl, the thrust bearing and assorted other little things...Im having a car wash to raise money for this one...j/k:D :( :(

Sleeper CP
10-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Ah hell that sucks:mad: :(
You can always do a bake sale.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover