PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about speed coat

FLEA DIDDY
02-26-2006, 05:45 PM
What's the 411 on this. How much of the underside should get the buisness. Also has anyone done the inside of there pump? Seems like that would be a pita?

jamessampica
02-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I have done both and still do even thou i play on the lakes and rivers.
JIM S

FLEA DIDDY
02-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I have done both and still do even thou i play on the lakes and rivers.
JIM SIs it worth the time and mess?

IMPATIENT 1
02-26-2006, 06:39 PM
i'm doin mine rite now. i'm starting at the frt. and goin all the way back,the whole bottom. i'm using the slip-coat from john deere. everyone says its the same stuff but cheaper.i picked up 5 cans(spray) for 35.00 and some change.can't get anyone around here pinned down with gps #'s before and after to see if helps.but the added water repelin properties couldn't do anything but help.i shot some on a piece of gelcoated glass i had layin around and let it dry awhile and the slipcoat shed water better than the shiny gel. hope this shiat works,it's messy!

sleekcrafter
02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Shiney fiberglass is not the best shead of water, if you wet sand the surface you will have less water tension. The problem is the wet sanded areas tend to collect dirt, and are hard to clean. Speed coat, or the secret stuff known as dry film moly lubricant, almost nothing will have a chance to adhere, dirt , water, or paint for that matter. It's not so bad to spray out of a rattle can.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0271.JPG

FLEA DIDDY
02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Shiney fiberglass is not the best shead of water, if you wet sand the surface you will have less water tension. The problem is the wet sanded areas tend to collect dirt, and are hard to clean. Speed coat, or the secret stuff known as dry film moly lubricant, almost nothing will have a chance to adhere, dirt , water, or paint for that matter. It's not so bad to spray out of a rattle can.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0271.JPGThe previous owner of my boat did about 4ft of the hull from threar up past the intake grate. It's now chipping off and looks like ass. I don't know about having a black bottom though? :cry: That shit come in white? lol.

jamessampica
02-26-2006, 07:10 PM
It's up to you.All i can say is you have to respray it when it get's wore off from sand or rock's but beside's that it help's.No white~~~~
JIM S

FLEA DIDDY
02-26-2006, 07:19 PM
It's up to you.All i can say is you have to respray it when it get's wore off from sand or rock's but beside's that it help's.No white~~~~
JIM SLol damn no white graphite yet? :rollside:

jamessampica
02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
YEP :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :cry: :cry:

FLEA DIDDY
02-26-2006, 07:22 PM
YEP :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :cry: :cry:
they can trasplant an eyeball but can't make white? I need to make some calls, lol :)

IMPATIENT 1
02-26-2006, 07:22 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/7363100_0271.JPG
sleek, when you say moly do you mean graphite?or is there a moly film lube?

jamessampica
02-26-2006, 07:24 PM
they can trasplant an eyeball but can't make white? I need to make some calls, lol :)
I hear ya!!!Not even in yellow.

FASTRAT
02-27-2006, 10:02 AM
sleek, when you say moly do you mean graphite?or is there a moly film lube?
the stuff Sleek is refering to is a moly lubricant spray, that is used for coating the inside of barrels & bullets for rifles...i have used it & it works great...less drag & friction...i got it from Midway USA...i think u can get it from several gun suppliers...it is clear & u just spray it on & let it dry...it might work great on the boat bottom
fastrat

sleekcrafter
02-27-2006, 03:50 PM
the stuff Sleek is refering to is a moly lubricant spray, that is used for coating the inside of barrels & bullets for rifles...i have used it & it works great...less drag & friction...i got it from Midway USA...i think u can get it from several gun suppliers...it is clear & u just spray it on & let it dry...it might work great on the boat bottom
fastrat
This is the stuff here, that was used on the boat http://www.ramcospec.com/molytex.htm
Sleek