PDA

View Full Version : Best Hotel in NewYork City?

FreshTracks
09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
Going for my first time in a few months. We were told to stay around midtown or downtown. Any recommendations? Looking for something 4 star or so. Thanks.

PaPaG
09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Going for my first time in a few months. We were told to stay around midtown or downtown. Any recommendations? Looking for something 4 star or so. Thanks.
I would suggest the Waldorf Astoria, it is over 100 years old in midtown Manhattan. Amazing hotel, you get a feel of the real New York..Not cheap but worth it for at least 1 night, if not the Waldorf stay at the:
Millennium UN Plaza Hotel New York
One United Nations Plaza
44th Street between First and Second Avenue
T: 1 (212) 758-1234
F: 1 (212) 702-5051
This hotel is also great, lots to do around both and close to great landmarks and sites...
There are many middle 3, 4 star hotels all over the city it just depends on budget and time...
Get a subway pass if you are going for more than 2 days and get a subway map for sure...You have to go to Central Park it is amazing. Make sure to also see Time square, also make sure to eat some Original Rays pizza.
Good luck and have fun....

ZZ-Man
09-24-2007, 10:44 AM
PapaG is right on. I stayed at the Waldorf with the family and it was nice. NY is a great place to party.

FreshTracks
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the subway tip. We will be in town for 4 days, sounds like it will come in handy. Any other tips you can pass along? Much appreciated.
Checked the Millennium, sold out. And the Waldorf is too much for us. Any part of Manhattan you would recommend? We want to do the whole tourist, site see thing.

reDECKulous
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Westin Times Square

PaPaG
09-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the subway tip. We will be in town for 4 days, sounds like it will come in handy. Any other tips you can pass along? Much appreciated.
Checked the Millennium, sold out. And the Waldorf is too much for us. Any part of Manhattan you would recommend? We want to do the whole tourist, site see thing.
You have to go up the Empire State building the view and the feel is something you will remember for the rest of your life. Grand Central Station is a must, take a walk down 5th avenue and Broadway for sure, if it is after late Nov-December make sure to see the outside Ice Ring in central park very cool, both the park and subways are much safer than back 10 years ago when you would get the criminals or loppers chasing you though the park or robbing you on the sub, they even have a police substation in the park now so dusk is safe...(dont get carried away though and always watch your wallet and money anywhere in town, Carry your stuff in your front pockets, dont flaunt that you are a tourist) make sure to take a trip down to Ground Zero to pay your respect (wall street area) your stomach will turn, moan and groan and you will never feel more American pride while looking (you are going to be shocked when you see up close how much damage was done but it is a MUST for all Americans to see what they did to us, I bet you tear up)...bring sneakers because you are going to be walking a ton, during the rush (HOURS, lol) you will take longer in a cab vs walking so be ready to walk.. Make sure to be aware and you are going to have a great time..OH yeah make sure you go see the 5 points (points of interest maps will come in handy), also walk into some of the church's (some over 200 years old), you are going to be floored by the architecture in that city, your neck is going to hurt looking up to see and wonder how the heck these buildings were built so long ago and so tall, it is truly amazing.. I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch of stuff and I will ad more later and post if I can, WOW I am missing NY now, maybe I will go to, my second half has never seen NY and I told her I would take her soon. :D

Magic34
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I was just there on Saturday. My first time. Bring comfortable shoes. I walked over 4 miles in dress shoes.
I took some video from Times Square, to Rockefeller center, Little Italy, and Ground Zero. I need to edit it down and will post it tomorrow sometime.
I had to climb on top of a barrier to get a view of Ground Zero. A fence with green tarps surround the entire site. It just looks like a construction site now.

FreshTracks
09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
You have to go up the Empire State building the view and the feel is something you will remember for the rest of your life. Grand Central Station is a must, take a walk down 5th avenue and Broadway for sure, if it is after late Nov-December make sure to see the outside Ice Ring in central park very cool, both the park and subways are much safer than back 10 years ago when you would get the criminals or loppers chasing you though the park or robbing you on the sub, they even have a police substation in the park now so dusk is safe...(dont get carried away though and always watch your wallet and money anywhere in town, Carry your stuff in your front pockets, dont flaunt that you are a tourist) make sure to take a trip down to Ground Zero to pay your respect (wall street area) your stomach will turn, moan and groan and you will never feel more American pride while looking (you are going to be shocked when you see up close how much damage was done but it is a MUST for all Americans to see what they did to us, I bet you tear up)...bring sneakers because you are going to be walking a ton, during the rush (HOURS, lol) you will take longer in a cab vs walking so be ready to walk.. Make sure to be aware and you are going to have a great time..OH yeah make sure you go see the 5 points (points of interest maps will come in handy), also walk into some of the church's (some over 200 years old), you are going to be floored by the architecture in that city, your neck is going to hurt looking up to see and wonder how the heck these buildings were built so long ago and so tall, it is truly amazing.. I'm sure I am forgetting a bunch of stuff and I will ad more later and post if I can, WOW I am missing NY now, maybe I will go to, my second half has never seen NY and I told her I would take her soon. :D
Thank you for the information, some great ideas we will be sure to do. We are both really looking forward to Ground Zero and paying our respects.

One Particular Harbor
09-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Is the Hotel Benjamin in mid-town. It's on Lexington, just down from the 'W' hotel (around 47th and Lexington, I think).
They offer a true one bedroom suite, the service is outstanding and they are located right in the heart of mid-town Manhattan. I think it's around $400 per night, but it depends on the date and demand. They also have studio suites that are slight less expensive.
Enjoy.