PDA

View Full Version : charging a man with murder in this place

centerhill condor
09-24-2007, 06:02 PM
is like passing out speeding tickets at the indy 500. Capt. Willard, Apocolypse now.
Thank God the Army has a bunch of lawyers "watching their back". You know we do this all the time in the war on drugs but damn if these insurgents don't have more rights to kill US soldiers than I have to smoke a joint!
These prosecutors need a week with a pack and a weapon in a forward area to help them "realize" the threat. This is like 'Nam with the restrictions on our boys while the enemy operates with a wink and a nod from the Washington media and liberal dems.
Your Congress will micro manage and outlaw success for our soldiers and allies in the name of "compassion" and it makes me feel badly for the good people of Iraq, as well.
What price freedom?
CC
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
By PAULINE JELINEK and ROBERT BURNS, Associated Press Writers
1 hour, 41 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Army snipers hunting insurgents in Iraq were under orders to "bait" their targets with suspicious materials, such as detonation cords, and then kill whoever picked up the items, according to the defense attorney for a soldier accused of planting evidence on an Iraqi he killed.
Gary Myers, an attorney for Sgt. Evan Vela, said Monday his client had acted "pursuant to orders."
"We believe that our client has done nothing more than he was instructed to do by superiors," Myers said in a telephone interview.
Myers and Vela's father, Curtis Carnahan of Idaho Falls, Idaho, said in separate interviews that sworn statements and testimony in the cases of two other accused Ranger snipers indicate that the Army has a classified program that encourages snipers to "bait" potential targets and then kill whoever takes the bait.
The Army on Monday declined to confirm such a program exists.
"To prevent the enemy from learning about our tactics, techniques and training procedures, we don't discuss specific methods targeting enemy combatants," said Paul Boyce, an Army spokesman.
Boyce also said there are no classified programs that authorize the murder of Iraqi civilians or the use of "drop weapons" to make killings appeared to be legally justified, which is what Vela and the two other snipers are accused of doing.
The transcript of a court hearing for two of the three accused snipers makes several references to the existence of a classified "baiting" program but provides few details of how it works. A copy of the transcript was provided to The Associated Press by Vela's father.
The Washington Post, which first reported the existence of the "baiting" program, cited the sworn statement of Capt. Matthew P. Didier, the leader of a Ranger sniper scout platoon.
"Baiting is putting an object out there that we know they will use, with the intention of destroying the enemy," Didier said in the statement. "Basically, we would put an item out there and watch it. If someone found the item, picked it up and attempted to leave with the item, we would engage the individual as I saw this as a sign they would use the item against U.S. forces."
The Post said the program was devised by the Army's Asymmetric Warfare Group, which advises commanders on more effective methods in today's unconventional conflicts, including ways to combat roadside bombs.
Within months of the "baiting" program's introduction, three snipers in Didier's platoon were charged with murder for allegedly using those items and others to make shootings seem legitimate, according to the Post.

Moneypitt
09-24-2007, 07:42 PM
The stupid frecking media............To expose the Army's tactics to neutralize the enemy is Treason!!!!!!! Plain and simple. The fact that the solders used their standing orders to do what they are paid to to during trial testimony is, and should be, a reason to dismiss the charges and quietly move on with the mission......For a media hungry nation this info is like a contest to see who can deflame whom, and can they be the first to "report" it. Really sad if you watch network news, "storm watch" in So Cal when it drizzles, religiously following any fool that decides to run from the police....You get the idea.......NOW, these reporters have gone into the same closet with TREASON.........Since when have Military proceedings been open to the public/media? And for these irresponsable morons to report this is beyond comprehension............Ray

Old Texan
09-25-2007, 04:54 AM
It's past the time to remove reporters and all media members from the hot areas and away from combat.
Between the media and lawyers, I'd not be surprised if they don't come up with some Miranda Rights type rule where you have to inform the enemy before you shoot him......:mad:
All these idiots need to go over to the other side and hang out. They might be surprised to find their new buddies aren't as sweet and innocent as they thought.

OKIE-JET
09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
The stupid frecking media............To expose the Army's tactics to neutralize the enemy is Treason!!!!!!! Plain and simple. The fact that the solders used their standing orders to do what they are paid to to during trial testimony is, and should be, a reason to dismiss the charges and quietly move on with the mission......For a media hungry nation this info is like a contest to see who can deflame whom, and can they be the first to "report" it. Really sad if you watch network news, "storm watch" in So Cal when it drizzles, religiously following any fool that decides to run from the police....You get the idea.......NOW, these reporters have gone into the same closet with TREASON.........Since when have Military proceedings been open to the public/media? And for these irresponsable morons to report this is beyond comprehension............Ray
I agree MP, this country is suffering a "few" self inflicted diseases such as media parasitica:D .....However we could turn this negative into a positive by just making some of what we do known to our enemies, this could be used as a simple deterent to future conflicts and/or resistance. Being in middle America, if I were to be strolling down the street and happened upon a small weapons cache, detonator cord, plastic explosive, or what have you- I wouldnt hesitate to handle it in some way, more than likely in hopes of keeping it after reporting it and it goes unclaimed (like thats gonna happen), or by helping to return it to its rightful owner (since in this country if its out in the open to find, its there because something unlawful took place). If I were to find myself in Iraq, and even the slightest thought that a sniper was waiting for me to engage it, I wouldn't aknowledge its existence in my own front yard.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-25-2007, 06:02 PM
It's past the time to remove reporters and all media members from the hot areas and away from combat.
Yep.