PDA

View Full Version : Engine builder in San Diego....need a reco.

Lightning
09-24-2007, 08:19 PM
I've had some problems with rocker arms studs breaking (2 now). I want to bring in the boat and have them replace all the rocker studs. When one of the studs broke, the rocker arm broke in half as well. The rocker arms that were installed are cast and I wanted to go to a forged part instead.
I am going to go with ARP studs as recommended by many. I am on the fence on which brand roller rocker to go with and if it's worth the money to swap out the cast ones. Also don't know whether or not I should spend the money on a stud girdle. I'd like the motor to stay turn key and reliable (don't we all). The engine was originally built by Tom Papp, it's a 454-30over with Merlin heads. 9.6:1 The motor has 30 hours on it.
I was going to bring it to Dougans in Corona, they did the machine work and assembly originally. I don't want to drive to Corona though, I would like to deal with someone locally.
I am looking for a good engine builder in San Diego, does anyone have anyone that they recommend? I have heard mixed reviews on both Raylar and San Diego Performance Marine - however I have not ruled them out. <-- people tend to talk more about their bad experiences vs. their positivie ones.

bajarunner
09-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Lightning
I have several engines running your combo or close to it. I use comp pro magnum rockers, ARP studs, and always use stud girdles. Sorry I'm not local, but try Greg at Total Performance in santee, he's a really good guy, and a full service shop. (619) 562-9894
Hope this helps you out, see you in Martinez someday.

jbone
09-25-2007, 04:25 AM
You could try Neil at San Diego Performance Marine.
He is on the the boards as SDPM.
Don't have his number, but you could pm him. He is in Spring Valley.
J

Lightning
09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Lightning
I have several engines running your combo or close to it. I use comp pro magnum rockers, ARP studs, and always use stud girdles. Sorry I'm not local, but try Greg at Total Performance in santee, he's a really good guy, and a full service shop. (619) 562-9894
Hope this helps you out, see you in Martinez someday.
Thanks for the feedback. I called and talked to him.
Also, was able to track down the machine shop that assembled my heads. They said that they have had 8 people with the same problem that I am having. From what I was told, these are a cast rocker that is good in most applications, however not all. Something about the way they are designed causes them to fail in certain applications. They said that they sent them back to Crane and eventually ended up solving the problem by not using them anymore.