PDA

View Full Version : Gel Restoration and Clear Coat on a boat

tucson_boat_guy
09-25-2007, 08:50 AM
I have looked through the threads here and there are hit and miss posts about restoring gel coat.
I have a boat with a very nice gel job but the finish looks like there was clear applied at one point. In some places the gel has a white haze and some flaking like a car with bad clear.
I am thinking of this to fix the issue. I know there is a guy on here that has much experience and a shop that does this sort of work. Maybe I can get a thumbs up on this.
First wash it with a good cleaner to get any water spotting off of it.
Then with a mild scotch brite get the flaking off of the finish and any other residue.
Then with wet paper maybe 1200 or so work the finish smooth
Run to Harbour Fright and get a polisher and some wool pads from the auto refinishing place down the way and start to polish. This is where I am breaking new ground. I have never buffed something. I have helped but never run the buffer. I will continue to read these posts to see if someone put some details on this procedure.
If the finish is not nice the only thing I can think of would be wet sand the entire hull fix any scrapes and chips with matching gel and if there is such a thing clear gel coat the entire hull. That just sounds like a ton of work.
I am going to wash it this weekend to see where all the issues are and get some pics up here to get some advise.
Hope someone can help me.

tucson_boat_guy
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Here is one pics I took. You can see the white on the side and one the back. I will get some close up later today.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39857&d=1190739143

H20MOFO
09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
I Don't Know How Much Help It Is But My Tahiti Was Clear Coated B-4 I Bought It
With Some Reg. Base Coat -clear Coat ) Clear. It Looks Good Imo. The Only Way I Figured It Out Is Because In One Of My Stress Cracks It Ran Down The Crack And Formed A Small Run(in The Clear) .

DUCKY
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
The issue is that if the clear that is already on it is flaking off, you will be pissing in a headwind if you put anything over it.....
Guess I should have looked at the pic before saying anything. That spot on the right is just a piss-poor previous repair.
In my opinion, I would have that spot re-repaired, and then have the boat sanded and buffed and leave it alone, as it's a cardinal sin to spray paint over perfectly good gel.....

TRG
09-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Here is one pics I took. You can see the white on the side and one the back. I will get some close up later today.
WOW!:eek:to the person or persons who performed the repair on this boat:
Dont ever touch another boat as long as you live, if you think its in roadable condition and your customer will be happy with it???? think again!
I agree with duck piss poor attempt!
Todd

tucson_boat_guy
10-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Well I made some progress on the hull this weekend.
I washed it and rubbed out the entire hull. There are a few area's that are hosed.
The entire transom is peeling. They did not remove any hardware during the repairs so well we know what that means. There are tape lines everywhere.
Here are pics of the bad spots that I am guessing wet sanding it what is the next step. This winter after the trailer is redone I will redo the blue and gray. all of the 12 other colors are perfect. The entire bottom needs redone. I do not know why people push a boat up on shore as they do. Anyway take a look and if someone knows a good way to make this better let me know.
Thanks
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40254&stc=1&d=1191261617
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40255&stc=1&d=1191261617
Thanks