PDA

View Full Version : So who had on-the-water LEO encounters this summer?:

Trailer Park Casanova
09-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Any interaction/incidences with the boatcops?:

Cole Trickle
09-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Havasu police tried to help me get the boat running when we broke down a month or two ago.
Great guys and they actually wen't and got fresh gas from the marina vs. pouring the old stuff in our boat.
I couldn't prime the system so they called Rus at DSea Tow for me.
Nothing negative to report:)

Kilrtoy
09-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Lets see here.
I got pulled over by the SBSO
They wanted to know what was wrong with my last DCB F26 since I was a driving a new one a F29. Explained I was just testing one out.
Helped Officer friendly from LHPD, arrest a drunk person who was combative in thne channel.
Met a captain with LHPD and had a nice chat with him
Met two of LHPD finest who are absolutely clueless and posses the communications skills of a spoiled child.

thumbs
09-25-2007, 10:07 AM
Nothing other than a friendly wave when passing.

RitcheyRch
09-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Was given some whistles over Memorial Day weekend while hanging out in a cove.

Jyruiz
09-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Not yet in all the years I have been jet skiing and boating.

Dan Lorenze
09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I went out to Castaic a couple of months ago.. I had the diverter up real high doing about 55mph with no other boats in sight. I was quickly pulled over by two officers. They were not happy with me not just because I was going over the 35mph speed limit but because they were packing up when they had to come back out to get me. As pissed as they were they told me to pull my boat out of the water and they wouldn't ticket me.. Pretty cool actually... I was in the wrong...

Racey
09-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Got stopped on Mead at the dam in one of our 22 schiadas because the az numbers weren't contrasting enough, (in the 22 years the boat has been around we've never had an issue with the numbers until now, white with a dark blue outline, on a grey boat) gave us sobriety and saftey checks, a warning for no throw cushion, and let us be on our way. They were young guys, friendly enough for cops.

djunkie
09-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Lets see here.
I got pulled over by the SBSO
They wanted to know what was wrong with my last DCB F26 since I was a driving a new one a F29. Explained I was just testing one out.
Helped Officer friendly from LHPD, arrest a drunk person who was combative in thne channel.
Met a captain with LHPD and had a nice chat with him
Met two of LHPD finest who are absolutely clueless and posses the communications skills of a spoiled child.
Thats paradise for ya. :jawdrop: :D :D

SB
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Memorial Day weekend, Marine Patrol pulled me over to check the babes on the boat, noted that we all had jackets on, glanced at the fire extinguisher and drove away.

RiverDave
09-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Didn't goto the river enough this summer to have any encounters.. :)
Well scratch that BoatCop himself came by my house to drop something off, and scared the bejeezus out of me by banging on the window while I was pouring a glass of ice water. A change of shorts later everything was good in the hood.
RD

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Back in Spring I was pulled over while delivering a boat to the new client and issued a ticket for not having reg numbers on the boat. Not neccessary of course since I was in the process of selling a brand new boat and had already transfered ownership, though not title.
Same pull-over started when I was allegedly speeding through the buoy lines coming into Thompson Bay. Never have crashed a buoy line, never have since. Didn't happen. It was bogus to begin with, but clearly my word against his. I was told to tell it to the judge.
Of course three days later an offer came in to settle it without trial for $350. A more money-grubbing, fun-policing group of killjoys I have never met.
Keep the place safe. Check for safety equipment (we had everything and more) check the reg (I own a boat company, have the bill of sale and business cards) and check for sobriety (I don't drink at all when driving a boat... and this was at 11:00 in the morning). And send them on the way. Don't manufacture infractions and let them "tell it to the judge".
I was 100% in the right, and petitioned the court to dismiss the case. I had cited the laws in which I was allowed to have no reg numbers, and honestly, I didn't crash the buoy line. But, at the end of the day, I have too much going on in my life to travel out to Havasu during the week to plead my case, and it will cost me more to get there and back then it will to pay it, so I ended up coughing up $350 and forgetting about it.

LAFD
09-25-2007, 11:23 AM
had a couple both at parker. one was floating at night the way the boat is wired all the lights stay on like docking red green etc. so we pulled a few wires and have to rewire the swtich now. and than the next day we were just leaving camp and someone was laying on the sun deck on back while we we started to get under way. so they warned us about that and thats it.

yopengo
09-25-2007, 11:24 AM
Dropped the family off at the sheriffs dock on one stormy Havasu Thursday. They could not take the beating anymore in my old jet boat. Sheriffs called a cab and gave the kids free t-shirts for having their life vests on. I headed for Windsor solo.
Props to them for helping my family. :D

DeltaSigBoater
09-25-2007, 11:38 AM
No encounters this summer
:hammer2:

DeltaSigBoater
09-25-2007, 11:44 AM
I was pulled over while delivering a boat to the new client and issued a ticket for not having reg numbers on the boat.
You don't have CA issued dealer/manufacture vessel registration numbers?

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
You don't have CA issued dealer/manufacture vessel registration numbers?
I'm not a dealer.. I am a manufacturer. I didn't take the boat from a manufacturer and then broker the arrangement, I built the boat from scratch and sold it to a client.
According to ARS Title 5-321.F, as a marine manufacturer I am “not required to register in their name any watercraft in their possession that may be offered for resale”. In CA it is...
CVC 9856(a) states similarly that “9856. (a) It is not required that the department issue, or that an application be made for a new certificate of ownership or a new certificate of number, or that the fee prescribed in Section 9855 be paid on transfer of an undocumented vessel to a dealer in the course of his business as is otherwise provided in this division, if both of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The vessel is held and operated by the dealer only for the purpose of resale in the course of his business.” or
(2) The dealer has been issued a sales permit by the Board of
Equalization covering sale of such property.

DeltaSigBoater
09-25-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm not a dealer.. I am a manufacturer. I didn't take the boat from a manufacturer and then broker the arrangement, I built the boat from scratch and sold it to a client.
According to ARS Title 5-321.F, as a marine manufacturer I am “not required to register in their name any watercraft in their possession that may be offered for resale”. In CA it is...
CVC 9856(a) states similarly that “9856. (a) It is not required that the department issue, or that an application be made for a new certificate of ownership or a new certificate of number, or that the fee prescribed in Section 9855 be paid on transfer of an undocumented vessel to a dealer in the course of his business as is otherwise provided in this division, if both of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The vessel is held and operated by the dealer only for the purpose of resale in the course of his business.” or
I used to work for a dealer & we had dealer registration # that we carried from boat to boat, like they do in the car business. I know that you are the manufacture; and I was just generalizing since I though it was all the same in the end. I thank you for the correction.

Jbb
09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/op1k.jpg
:jawdrop:

OutCole'd
09-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Nothing other than a friendly wave for me. No problems.

Racey
09-25-2007, 01:56 PM
To 'Serve and Protect' or, 'Deceive and Collect' that is the question :D
My encounters have always pointed to the latter :rolleyes:

Wicky
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I had a problem, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it. Let's just say the coast guard and other LE counties ended up being involved and I won the battle. The sherriff of one county interpreted the law and he was wrong. I was right:D . I fought the law and the law lost!!! I did however, lose income from my waterski camp business. :mad: and missed out on 6 weeks of boating.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Thanks MR. LE!!!

Kilrtoy
09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
You still need manufacture numbers, DO you not...
I know in the car biz you due if the wheels hit the public streets

DeltaSigBoater
09-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I had a problem, but I'm not at liberty to discuss it. Let's just say the coast guard and other LE counties ended up being involved and I won the battle. The sherriff of one county interpreted the law and he was wrong. I was right:D . I fought the law and the law lost!!! I did however, lose income from my waterski camp business. :mad: and missed out on 6 weeks of boating.:mad: :mad: :mad:
Thanks MR. LE!!!
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say this has something to do with United States Coast Guard Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel License? Just a hunch :idea:

Kilrtoy
09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say this has something to do with United States Coast Guard Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel License? Just a hunch :idea:
I think he was practicing his spin into the reeds and the C.G stopped him and cited him for impersonating an officer

phebus
09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Always share conversation when I come in contact with them, and call many of them my friends. :D I always thank them for keeping me safe from all you misfits. :D

Wicky
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Strike one!!

Wicky
09-25-2007, 03:43 PM
I think he was practicing his spin into the reeds and the C.G stopped him and cited him for impersonating an officer
Strike two!!!

Wicky
09-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Ironically, the prior sherriff/boatcop/friend that used to patrol, had been a passenger a few times on my boat!!

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
If by a manufacturer number you mean a "HIN" number then yes, you do. That number is installed in the boat prior to even shooting the gelcoat. That way, the LE can prove the boat is not stolen or prior-registered, which would make this particular ordinance non-applicable.
The HIN number was intact FYI, and as suspected, the LE had no record of it, as I had been explaining to him.

Boatcop
09-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Wes,
There is a requirement under California Law that manufacturers obtain registration numbers. Not for the particular boat, but for the Company. I got this off the California Registration Agent Handbook:
2.030 Application for Special Numbers (Dealers and Manufacturers)
Boat dealers and manufacturers may secure a special number for demonstrating or testing unregistered vessels. The number must not be permanently affixed to any vessel and it is not transferable.
• Original Applications—The requirements are a completed Application for
Dealer-Manufacturer Boat Registration Number (BOAT 101A) with “Dealer” or
“Manufacturer” checked and the applicant’s Board of Equalization (BE) account (permit) number and the original registration fee. (December applications should also include the renewal fee.)
• Renewal Applications—A new completed BOAT 101A (see originals above)
and the registration fee must be submitted for any dealer or manufacturer vessel number that is not renewed prior to midnight of the expiration date. A Certificate of Nonoperation is not acceptable.
The application requirements for special use vessels are the same as for a dealer/manufacturer application. An example of “special use” would be a marina borrowing vessels from vessel manufacturers throughout the United States for use in movie productions and then returning the vessels to the manufacturers at the end of filming.
The requirements are:
• A completed Application for Dealer/Manufacturer Boat Registration Number
(BOAT 101A).
• A Miscellaneous Statements of Fact (REG 256) from the applicant stating where the vessel was obtained, the purpose and location of operation, approximately how long the vessel will be operated, and disposition of the vessel when the special use ends.
• The original registration fee.
The numbers will have a suffix of MA to MY. (CF-1234-MA)
These should be displayed on a placard, and carried on board any manufacturer owned vessel, while it is being tested, shown, or demo'd. Similar to dealer registration. They need to be renewed every other year, just like regular registration.

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Wes,
There is a requirement under California Law that manufacturers obtain registration numbers. Not for the particular boat, but for the Company. I got this off the California Registration Agent Handbook:
The numbers will have a suffix of MA to MY. (CF-1234-MA)
These should be displayed on a placard, and carried on board any manufacturer owned vessel, while it is being tested, shown, or demo'd. Similar to dealer registration. They need to be renewed every other year, just like regular registration.
You are literally the first person to show me where I could get that. DMV cites the above CVC for the situation. Do you have the actual name of the placard, because I seriously can't find anyone to issue me one. They all say that as a manufacturer I don't need one, but as a dealer I would.
I am going to hand that code to my DMV lady tomorrow...

Kilrtoy
09-25-2007, 04:09 PM
If by a manufacturer number you mean a "HIN" number then yes, you do. That number is installed in the boat prior to even shooting the gelcoat. That way, the LE can prove the boat is not stolen or prior-registered, which would make this particular ordinance non-applicable.
The HIN number was intact FYI, and as suspected, the LE had no record of it, as I had been explaining to him.
Not the HIN, as in vehicle if a manufacture wishes to do real life testing which you see these cars all the time, they have michigan MANUFACTURER plates on the vehicle , this affords them the ability to operate legally on the streets inthe USA.
I would assume the a boat manufacturer must do the same..

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Not the HIN, as in vehicle if a manufacture wishes to do real life testing which you see these cars all the time, they have michigan MANUFACTURE plates on the vehicle , this affords them the ability to operate legally on the streets inthe USA.
I would assume the a boat manufacture must do the same..
Evidently, according to Alan you are spot on.
However, since the boat had just been sold, I was still in the clear on this particular instance. ;)

Boatcop
09-25-2007, 04:15 PM
You are literally the first person to show me where I could get that. DMV cites the above CVC for the situation. Do you have the actual name of the placard, because I seriously can't find anyone to issue me one. They all say that as a manufacturer I don't need one, but as a dealer I would.
I am going to hand that code to my DMV lady tomorrow...
Wes,
All you do is submit for the registration, and they'll assign you a number (or numbers if you think you might need more than one) and issue you the decals. Then all you have to do is put the numbers and decal on an appropriate sized piece of plastic (hence "placard") to carry in the boat with you. Just like you'd put on the bow of your own boat. A 4" x 16" (or so) piece of plexiglass will fit the bill.

Froggystyle
09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Wes,
All you do is submit for the registration, and they'll assign you a number (or numbers if you think you might need more than one) and issue you the decals. Then all you have to do is put the numbers and decal on an appropriate sized piece of plastic (hence "placard") to carry in the boat with you. Just like you'd put on the bow of your own boat. A 4" x 16" (or so) piece of plexiglass will fit the bill.
I tried explaining exactly that to them, and they said essentially that the registration they were issuing was for a specific boat and could not be used in this manner with different hulls. Then, when the reg showed up, sure as hell it was for a specific HIN number...

Hustler
09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
The only run in I had was having lunch @ Roberto's in Parker on sunday and having a nice chat with a couple of Boatcops coworkers. Very nice guys.

Boatcop
09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I tried explaining exactly that to them, and they said essentially that the registration they were issuing was for a specific boat and could not be used in this manner with different hulls. Then, when the reg showed up, sure as hell it was for a specific HIN number...
Find a Registration Agent, instead of the zombies at the DMV. They usually have more on the ball than the fine Public Service Representatives at the Department of Motor Vehicles. :rolleyes:

It's all Good
09-25-2007, 04:48 PM
Cal Regs Title 13, s 190.00
(b) Vessels used by a manufacturer or by a dealer for testing or demonstrating shall have the number painted on or attached to removable plates that are temporarily but firmly attached to each side of the forward half of the vessel.

HPLavey
09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
No Problems here. Just an ocasional wave. Do you think anyone that encountered problems will post?

mjc
09-25-2007, 05:53 PM
1st the windsor before I launched ranger and lhc pd, up in Topock in the 5 mph zone sbdc sheriff then thompson bay mohave sheriff then ranger again as I pulled out. next morning at 6am parker pd. All this after then fountain ran over the jet skier up at topock because i have a similar looking fountain. also labor day weekend ranger at windsor. But nobody checked this last wekend.

Her454
09-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm usually good for twice a season and this season was no exception. Pulled over in May for no baffles. Had them with me and I know the guy so no big deal. He said he had to do it for tradition LOL.
Next time was in June at my family reunion in the no wake zone. Boat wouldn't run at idle and I had to keep the rpm's up and made a little more wake than I should have. No big deal and he was at camp later for dinner. :D

Phat Matt
09-25-2007, 07:30 PM
I had two encounters this year. In all my years of boating I have had none...zero.
First one was Memorial weekend. I was in the channel late at night (as usual) bbq'ing and playing music. A bunch of people came down to meet us for Club E-ticket.
I had a cop come up with quite an attitude to tell me he was going to site me for mooring my boat in the channel and for glass on the beach. Some of the people had vodka bottles sticking out of their ice chest that came down to meet us. I said I wasn't staying here and we were just hanging out. He said having my boat parked there was the definition of mooring so I was going to get a ticket. I said I do this all the time and have never had a problem but I understood it was a big weekend and they wanted to crack down. He told me that he had never seen me before here down late so that is why I haven't had a ticket before. I was very polite but amazed at this guys attitude towards me.
As it got a little more heated his partner walked up who knows me and said hi and we started BS'ing. I have a couple of friends who are good guys that are LHPD and the first guy wasn't one of them. After the cop I knew started talking to me, the first guy walked off.
I did some digging later and found that the first officer does need to work on his PR (being nice).
The second one was for noise and a safety check in devils elbow up river. I guess my stock HO's are too loud for the refuge. :rolleyes: I haven't even been hassled a the marina but I am too loud for the birds at idle I guess.
Otherwise, that's it. Ever.

squirt'nmyload
09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
nothing major here, just had a few conversations with them while on land. we even went through a OUI checkpoint twice on the water and was never stopped :jawdrop: :D :D

mbrown2
09-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Nothing this year, and nothing the 4 years prior except for the one time they waved for me to slow down coming out of glass alley! :)
Now off the water Boatcops boys have been called several times over the last several years by my nazi neighbors due to fireworks and sobi bombs being let off always by someone else other then ME!:)...

Havasu Hangin'
09-26-2007, 04:57 AM
I got rolled by a Newport Beach boatcop who knew nothing about the CA noise laws testing procedure (but that didn't stop him anyway).
He also told me I was idling too fast (5.3MPH GPS in a 5MPH zone).
First time I've been pulled over in 20+ years.