PDA

View Full Version : 28 Cat Recommendations

Pantera28
09-25-2007, 01:00 PM
I am considering switching to a cat for a home for my TPI 1100 HP engine.
What single engine cats do you guys recommend for this HP? I'd like a little cabin or somewhat finished interior (have two little ones)
Any info on speed/HP as well as pictures would be greatly appreciated.
I know little to nothing about teh single engine cat market. Have friends with MTI's, Skaters, etc. . .
Thank you!!

shippingguy
09-25-2007, 01:04 PM
I am considering switching to a cat for a home for my TPI 100 HP engine.
What single engine cats do you guys recommend for this HP? I'd like a little cabin or somewhat finished interior (have two little ones)
Any info on speed/HP as well as pictures would be greatly appreciated.
I know little to nothing about teh single engine cat market. Have friends with MTI's, Skaters, etc. . .
Thank you!!
Check out the Ultra 27 Shadow. Mine is in my sigline. I have a Teague 800. Lots of space in the cuddy for little ones.
www.ultraboats.com
Mike

TOBTEK
09-25-2007, 02:03 PM
call Tony @ Eliminator. They have a new 28 coming thats BAD! they are tooling the deck as we speak. Drawings and pics look insaine! Looks like a mini flatdeck Skater. I'm thinking they will be selling a ton of these.

Pantera28
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
I have been looking at Eliminator and Profile.
This would definately be a show type boat with a TPI 1100 HP engine and a Konrad Ace drive. I may take a trip to Eliminator. I like their V hulls too!

Pantera28
09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Is the Shadow only available in an open deck config? I don't see any others on their website.

shippingguy
09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Is the Shadow only available in an open deck config? I don't see any others on their website.
No you can get closed bow, crawl thru open bow or walk thru open bow. I would have to say they probably have the biggest cuddy out of any cat in this size range from what I have seen. Shadow on the boards here had a very nice closed bow that he recently sold. Also, Dicudmore had a very nice closed bow as well. Maybe one of them can post some pics for you???
Mike

XtrmWakeborder
09-25-2007, 03:15 PM
DCB F-29? That would be a pretty sick set up. Almost like WW's old one.
Maybe an RT 29 From redlineboats.com?
If you can go to a 26 I'd look at revolution performance marine too

beaverretriever
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
This would definately be a show type boat with a TPI 100 HP engine and a Konrad Ace drive. I may take a trip to Eliminator. I like their V hulls too!
I definitely would be looking at more Hp if you only running a single ;)
Elim, DCB, Ultra are always good choices.
There is that new 29 from Redline out of Vegas. It looks pretty bitchen. Lots of Carbon Fiber.
http://www.redlineboats.com/
http://www.redlineboats.com/showroom/index.php?p=img&id=1&imgid=69&width=500

TOBTEK
09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
" I'll take AIR SCOOPS for one hundred Alec " HOLLY SHITZ thats a big scoop:eek: Think I have Scoop envy:( Reggie Fountain better not drive this boat, it would suck that bad wig right off his mellon ;)

Bling Bling
09-25-2007, 06:45 PM
E-Tickets RC 28 DAH. :D Don't be a sissy either, #6 drive.

Phat Matt
09-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice boat. Would handle that power great too. You would have to work on the cabin space for the little ones though.
Larry will hook you up. :D

beaverretriever
09-25-2007, 08:03 PM
" I'll take AIR SCOOPS for one hundred Alec " HOLLY SHITZ thats a big scoop:eek: Think I have Scoop envy:( Reggie Fountain better not drive this boat, it would suck that bad wig right off his mellon ;)
Toby I agree with you. It could use a few less scoops... LOL :D

Matt in the CAT
09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
This Is Exactly Why I Went With Dcb.
They Gave Me What I Wanted And Gave Me Great Advise For A Single In A Cat.
I Went With A F-29 / 800 Hp / Open Bow / Bagged = 104 Mph
#1 Wife Wanted To Sit Up Front (under 50mph)
#2 Small Frys Sit Under Watching Dvd (they Laugh At Any Speed)
#3 I Wanted Speed And Handling (1 Year Later And Still Very Happy)
Pm Me If You Want A Ride

DMOORE
09-25-2007, 09:55 PM
There are a lot of great cats in the size range your looking at. Best advice is to drive a few. With the 1000hp you should really consider the #6 drive. At a minimum, a Konrad ACE.
Darrell.

98 Vector 21
09-25-2007, 10:48 PM
this one is a closed bow...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6385tmpphprSCWD4.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6385tmpphpKgXI9J.jpg

deltarat
09-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Thats funny shit right there....lol still!

kap
09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
This would definately be a show type boat with a TPI 100 HP engine and a Konrad Ace drive. I may take a trip to Eliminator. I like their V hulls too!
Second, the Konrad Ace drive is not capable of handling the HP from that motor and definitely not the torque output. Which leaves you with either a Max Machine Worx drive, IMCO Advantage 1000[still not completely perfected], TEAGUE Platinum and Arneson ASD-8.
The only recommendation is to narrow down some boat manufacturers and choices and go visit their manufacturing/offices and do some walk throughs. This will help you decide what is best for you and your family and by all means take your family with you:D .
If you want to run with your Skater/MTI buddies a good choice might be the RC-28 it has a Skater like bottom and has tremendous freeboard.
Sincerely,
KAP

acatitude
09-26-2007, 09:42 AM
100 hpp might not get it done..... great looking big ass scoop :D

TOBTEK
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
This Is Exactly Why I Went With Dcb.
They Gave Me What I Wanted And Gave Me Great Advise For A Single In A Cat.
I Went With A F-29 / 800 Hp / Open Bow / Bagged = 104 Mph
#1 Wife Wanted To Sit Up Front (under 50mph)
#2 Small Frys Sit Under Watching Dvd (they Laugh At Any Speed)
#3 I Wanted Speed And Handling (1 Year Later And Still Very Happy)
Pm Me If You Want A Ride
IF YOURS was the open bow 800 at the La show last year...Best looking interior ever in any DCB hands down! made a special trip just to show wifey that 29. Beautiful boat! I WAS going to do something close to yours with the 588ci GT quad rotor we have with a 6 drive. maybe going into something different now;)

shippingguy
09-26-2007, 11:12 AM
IF YOURS was the open bow 800 at the La show last year...Best looking interior ever in any DCB hands down! made a special trip just to show wifey that 29. Beautiful boat! I WAS going to do something close to yours with the 588ci GT quad rotor we have with a 6 drive. maybe going into something different now;)
Maybe the new 28 Eliminator:idea:
Mike

TOBTEK
09-26-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2009_Eliminator_Daytona.jpg
JUST received clearance to post the picture of the new Daytona. Tony @ Eliminator says SOON very SOON:D this with a 1200 Quad motor and #6 would be insane!

shippingguy
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Looks good Toby. Keep us posted on the build.:idea: :) :D Similar lines to the new Ultra 32 FC. Rob's drawings do resemble each other alot on the different boats.
Mike

kap
09-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Pantera:
I forgot to mention a few things about drives.
Running a number six drive on a 28 foot boat is a bit overkill in a lot of areas. Not to mention that #6 drive weighs a lot and is not for every hull design---X-dimension. I'd ask to see who's running a #6 drive on a 28ft boat before I would even consider that as an option.
Even if you could get lucky enough to find one--- brand new they cost a fortune. You'd be better off just buying a complete package 1050 with the six drive if that was your preference and money is not an object.
Also the Arneson drive is not real dock friendly hard to steer at low speeds but great when your on the gas said to be very trouble free if set-up right. Greater service interval as well.
Good luck in your pursuit,
KAP

TOBTEK
09-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Pantera:
Running a number six drive on a 28 foot boat is a bit overkill in a lot of areas. Not to mention that #6 drive weighs a lot and is not for every hull design---X-dimension. I'd ask to see who's running a #6 drive on a 28ft boat before I would even consider that as an option.
Even if you could get lucky enough to find one--- brand new they cost a fortune. You'd be better off just buying a complete package 1050 with the six drive if that was your preference and money is not an object.
Also the Arneson drive is not real dock friendly hard to steer at low speeds but great when your on the gas said to be very trouble free if set-up right. Greater service interval as well.
KAP
the cost of a 6 drive isnt bad if you consider what the inital price of a Bravo type drive will be with all the power steering compoents, and to rebuild a few time a year if he's running 1000hp. Will be the same price after the first rebuild. Weight wise...its alot less weight to run a singe 1000hp and six then two 496's or whatever. A F29 with twin 625 Ilmors does what 120-125? Was told that a bagged F29 with my GT quad motor would do atleast that if more more with a taller prop. A single motor, 1000 HP will rip up a bravo drive period. regardless if its a Teague, Imco, Werks...

DCBob
09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
You can't beat the E-Ticket RC 28 in a 28' cat. No underbow space though, if you're looking for a place to stash kids/stuff;) :)

acatitude
09-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Pantera:
KAP
I really don't think a #6 on a 28 ft single engine is overkill at all. money well spent(refer tobteks post re? drive cost. Iknow i finally went to bmax.. no one makes a bravo style drive I can't break)
since this thread is about cats I will assume your talking about an arneson in this mode... Do you know anyone with an arneson on a single engine cat??? you seem to know a lot about them so I assume again you do.. would love to hear how it works from someone who has one.

TOBTEK
09-26-2007, 01:50 PM
You can't beat the E-Ticket RC 28 in a 28' cat. No underbow space though, if you're looking for a place to stash kids/stuff;) :)
nice boat, BUT he's way to proud of them $$$ wise. The F29 was less to build than the E-ticket. They are all to much $$$ are for as that goes:( Best deal out there right now is the used F29 with Ho's in orange county. Heard 110K would buy it. Sell off the HO's and put some GT 700's in there. Would be a great ride on a budget.

TOBTEK
09-26-2007, 02:00 PM
I really don't think a #6 on a 28 ft single engine is overkill at all. money well spent(refer tobteks post re? drive cost. Iknow i finally went to bmax.. no one makes a bravo style drive I can't break)
since this thread is about cats I will assume your talking about an arneson in this mode... Do you know anyone with an arneson on a single engine cat??? you seem to know a lot about them so I assume again you do.. would love to hear how it works from someone who has one.
Wasn't rocketman running one on his crazy hp 26 Daytona?

Matt in the CAT
09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
yes, that thats one

NICE PAIR
09-26-2007, 02:25 PM
"Weismann" seems to be tuff as nails.:D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMG_8344_Large_.JPG

79 HUSTLER
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I dont think that the rc28 has a very deep freeboard???

acatitude
09-26-2007, 03:58 PM
steve, is the weisemen considered a surface drive??? Kinda looks like it

Phat Matt
09-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I dont think that the rc28 has a very deep freeboard???
Yeah it does. The bottom is the same as my deck and they are deep.
http://www.eticketboats.com/RC-28/rc28_gallery/images/10.jpg

Pantera28
09-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Great info guys. Yes I had a typo. TPI 1100 Quad Rotor Whipple Engine. I have the Konrad Ace already and would like to use it on the next boat. #6 is my next step, so it is an option.
I do like the Eliminator and all the Cats you guys showed me and told me about. Keep them coming. There are several here I never heard of!!

Pantera28
09-26-2007, 05:56 PM
What is insurance running in these single engine cats?

kap
09-26-2007, 06:23 PM
A lot of cats running ASD-6's, but only one V-Bottom I know of that was running a single ASD-7. I can't really remember the guy I think it was a Donzi it was hella fast. The cats mostly are running twin Arneson configs.
Call Arneson they will give you all the references you want.
Check it out you will agree the RC-28 is deceiving about it's generous freeboard---at least enough freeboard for me:D --- My thought on the freeboard was a high freeboard makes it safer for kids and adults. A RC-28 or even a deck version with a TPI motor would definitely rock with that much power.
I looked at the deck version hard but wanted a generous swimstep and rear walk through area for my family so I chose a Howard.
I will let you know about insurance when they finish mine in about two weeks. I may have the hook up but won't know until the ink is dry. FYI--- I will be running TPI848 in a 28 Howard Sportdeck--- it will be a nice family deckboat:D .
Keep us posted on your choices.
KAP

andy01
09-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Pantera:
Even if you could get lucky enough to find one--- brand new they cost a fortune.
Also the Arneson drive is not real dock friendly hard to steer at low speeds but great when your on the gas said to be very trouble free if set-up right.
KAP
There are DCB F-29's running great with a single #6, there are several 25' Daytonas running a #6 and 26' Daytonas running a single #6. All of them run and handle great. I have driven a 26 Daytona with a qaud rotor and 6, and it drove nicer then any bravo cat I have driven. Hopped on plane and ran solid all the way into the triple digits.
the cost of a 6 drive isnt bad if you consider what the inital price of a Bravo type drive will be with all the power steering compoents, and to rebuild a few time a year if he's running 1000hp. , 1000 HP will rip up a bravo drive period. regardless if its a Teague, Imco, Werks...
Well said, if you buy a built bravo style drive you will spend 20K easy if not more with all the parts. And could spend 5K plus each rebuild. Drive it like a sissy la la and it will live, drive it like a high performance boat and it will break bravos every weekend. Teagues are breaking in twin engine smaller cats
Yes and I believe it spun....
Great info guys. Yes I had a typo. TPI 1100 Quad Rotor Whipple Engine. I have the Konrad Ace already and would like to use it on the next boat. #6 is my next step, so it is an option.
Do yourself a favor and sell that Ace, put a six on it and be done with it. Ace told me no way would it hold to a 1100 Qaud set up.
What is insurance running in these single engine cats?
A lot!
A lot of cats running single ASD-6's but only one V-Bottom I know of that was running a single ASD-7. I can't really remember the guy I think it was a Donzi it was hella fast. The cats mostly are running twin Arneson configs.
Call Arneson they will give you all the references you want.
Pantera28:
I will let you know about insurance when they finish mine in about two weeks. I may have the hook up but won't know until the ink is dry. FYI--- I will be running TPI848 in a 28 Howard Sportdeck--- it will be a nice family deckboat:D .
Keep us posted on your choices.
KAP
A lot of cats running single ASD 6's????????? Can you name a couple? I know of one single engine cat with a ASD, there is a problem with running a single surface drive like them on a single engine cat.
Oh and KAP there is no "hook up" on insurance. There's insurance that is real and truthful and insurance that isn't worth the paper it is writen on when your sitting in court from a major lose. If it is a American Reliable policy or Markel then your good. Nobody else is insuring triple digit boats legit. If there is then share your source with all of us.
Andy

kap
09-26-2007, 09:56 PM
There are DCB F-29's running great with a single #6, there are several 25' Daytonas running a #6 and 26' Daytonas running a single #6. All of them run and handle great. I have driven a 26 Daytona with a qaud rotor and 6, and it drove nicer then any bravo cat I have driven. Hopped on plane and ran solid all the way into the triple digits.
Wow you said a lot so I thought I would highlight some points in red rather than respond in a separate reply.
Well there you have it Eliminator and DCB F-29's as potential candidates for your engine. Andy01 would be someone I would talk to and ask a lot of questions were, why and obtain detailed explanations.
Well said, if you buy a built bravo style drive you will spend 20K easy if not more with all the parts. And could spend 5K plus each rebuild. Drive it like a sissy la la and it will live, drive it like a high performance boat and it will break bravos every weekend. Teagues are breaking in twin engine smaller cats
Yes and I believe it spun....
Do yourself a favor and sell that Ace, put a six on it and be done with it. Ace told me no way would it hold to a 1100 Qaud set up.
I agree on selling the ACE it simply will not handle the power see my prior post---seems Pantera has a source at Konrad and is committed to that until he changes his mind .
A lot!
A lot of cats running ASD 6's as for singles I know of only one---my typo get a noose:( .
A lot of cats running single ASD 6's????????? Can you name a couple? I know of one single engine cat with a ASD, there is a problem with running a single surface drive like them on a single engine cat.
Oh and KAP there is no "hook up" on insurance. There's insurance that is real and truthful and insurance that isn't worth the paper it is writen on when your sitting in court from a major lose. If it is a American Reliable policy or Markel then your good. Nobody else is insuring triple digit boats legit. If there is then share your source with all of us.
I do not know were to begin on the above paragraph. Let me clarify "hook up" is a slang term for competitive rate. Forgive me if I do not come running to you for insurance quotes from the companies you name. However, contrary to your assertions one can obtain insurance at a competitive rate from underwriters other than Markel---who in my opinion charge high rates from their customers and their service reps. act as if they are doing you a favor by taking your money.
On American Reliable yes they are a good underwriter however more companies are available to the public--than just the two you mentioned. Furthermore, Pantera is seeking a policy for a single engine cat and your implying that only AR and Markel are the choices---I think not!
As for filing a claim and sitting in court from a major lose????That is a fear based statement from someone selling a certain brand of coverage. If so can you describe for me how many times you have been in court on coverage issues. You might know something I missed perhaps you could start a thread on the subject and enlighten us. I have not paid for my coverage yet.
Andy
It is getting late we can continue debate tomorrow.
Respectfully,
KAP
P.S. I would be gald to share my insurance source with members once the quote is finalized and agreed upon.

acatitude
09-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I think KAP is mostly full of hot air and BS;)
Andy.. rocket man was not running a #6 on his daytona..

02HoWaRd26
09-26-2007, 11:20 PM
26 daytona with a 6 already on it for sale by Andy in the classifieds...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34813&stc=1&d=1184252713

kap
09-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Good Morning:
Thanks:) ! I will remind you of that when I come up to the Delta and pay you a visit :D with boat in tow.

Pantera28
09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Hey I just wanted some ideas...no need to get on each other.
So what do you guys see as a good hull? I live on an inland lake, but would like to go on Lake Michingan and hit Loto a few times a year.

andy01
09-27-2007, 07:45 AM
It is getting late we can continue debate tomorrow.
Respectfully,
KAP
P.S. I would be gald to share my insurance source with members once the quote is finalized and agreed upon.
KAP no need to get all defensive. Was just pointing some things out that were wrong. You seem to know a lot about set ups and boats built so I was curious on some of the set ups. If you were full of shit and I called you out on it I am sorry.
I am not going to debate all of your bs with you. I will be gald to listen to you on your new insurance carrier that will insure single engine cats that run over a 100 mph, that is great news!!!!!!! My post are not to try and sell insurance, but rather have people understand what they may or may not be buying.
I know, he was running a wiesman. He did start with a IMCO 1000 something before the Wiesman right?
26 daytona with a 6 already on it for sale by Andy in the classifieds...
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34813&stc=1&d=1184252713
That is the 26' I mentioned driving, thanks for posting that 02H26.
My post was not to be a know it all but rather share what I KNOW about the subject, that's all. Not trying to start some drama here KAP.
Andy

andy01
09-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Hey I just wanted some ideas...no need to get on each other.
So what do you guys see as a good hull? I live on an inland lake, but would like to go on Lake Michingan and hit Loto a few times a year.
How soon are you looking to build the boat?
If right away tnen I would look at the F-29. Call Dave or Brian and work a deal with them. Boat can be built for a decent amount of money and is a proven set up.
If you can wait I would wait to see the new Daytona for Eliminator. It is going to be based off the old 28 bottom that works real well but have a new style deck. The new Daytona could a home run, so I would wait to compare if I could.
Andy

acatitude
09-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Good Morning:
Thanks:) ! I will remind you of that when I come up to the Delta and pay you a visit :D with boat in tow.
You stated a bunch of info about single engine cats with arnesons, not me... I just wanted some info and maybe you have some pics???
Ill be around

kap
09-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Andy01
I do not believe you were trying to start anything. However, the cut and paste approach is not my favored writing style:D . A good debate and Q & A is appropriate, expected and brings up new ideas that may not have been thought of previously .
Overall, I "generally" have greater confidence with what is said between consumers than those in the industry---who may or may not have an agenda. I apologize if my tone was defensive as it was not my intent--- more like insomnia than defensiveness.
FYI---I am always open to learning or listening to what others have to say.
However, they better take me through the steps rather than go from A to Z in one quick jump. I enjoy going through each step and ask a lot of questions---- A, B, C... and so on and tell me why! versus--Oh well this person does it, so it must be right.
I tell those people who say they have been doing it for 30 years---it doesn't mean you've been doing it right:D .
3. How much for a No 6 drive brand new complete with all the backing plates transom assembly and helm. I have not seen it offered this way so it would be nice to get a number or estimate on cost. Retail is fine--- I can PM you for the jobber #3/good guy price.
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. I am looking at a quote from AM right now Cat hull----Top Speed 101---Price: $2,489--Agreed value-4 month layup. Now add Great Lakes or Loto and the above number changes.
P.P.S. I look forward to your hull and drive recommendations so I can sharpen my pencil:D :D.

kap
09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Acatitude:
I sent you a PM---please read corrected version. Plus if you read the end of that post it will clarify.
The cats mostly are running twin Arneson configs.
KAP

andy01
09-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Andy01
A. Overall, I "generally" have greater confidence with what is said between consumers than those in the industry---who may or may not have an agenda. .
Just a couple of questions because I want to know not because of any ulterior motives;
1. The 26 Daytona does that boat have Mercury power in it or non-mercury power????? I bet it has factory power.
2. How much horsepower is lost through a No.6 drive--- via parasitic drag and transmission [we can use a TPI1000motor as an example]. I have an idea but wish to confirm the numbers.
3. How much for a No 6 drive brand new complete with all the backing plates transom assembly and helm. I have not seen it offered this way so it would be nice to get a number or estimate on cost. Retail is fine--- I can PM you for the jobber #3/good guy price.
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. I am looking at a quote from AM right now Cat hull----Top Speed 101---Price: $2,489--Agreed value-4 month layup. Now add Great Lakes or Loto and the above number changes.
A.I don't work for any one company. I have working relations with people, doing boat loans, selling motors, insurance, parts, blank boats, brand new boats and even trailers. I have built relationships over the years that have lead to some great discounts for myself and people here on Hot Boat that come to me for any of the above items. For example people that come to me for a new boat. I sometimes may get them a better deal then they had worked with the manufacture. My loan customers get done in a very fast, timely manner. I am not some broker making 10 percent of what goes through my hands. In fact none of the money goes through my hands.. Just wanted you to know that since you have brought it up a couple of times. I am not on anyone’s pay, or rewards program for saying nice things about them on the internet. If you read my post I don't align myself with anyone company.
I do agree with you though, most people tied to a company have something to gain and their post may lean in one direction or another. Maybe based on what’s best for them.
1. The Daytona has a GT Performance 1,100 quad rotor motor bolted to a turbo 400 with first gear locked out making it a two speed.
2. I don't remember and am checking on that, it isn't much but I will get the answer today if time permits.
3. $36,000 complete ready to go. A fully built bravo from Max Machine, box, gimble steering and everything else you may need will top $30,000. I believe IMCO's new 1,000 took more hp to run then a 6 and was close to 20K plus stand off box, and steering. So you could say mid $20,000 range. Now just food for thought. A six will last a lifetime in a small cat with 1,000 hp going to it. What is your family’s safety worth? Your time missed on the water because the boat is broke? And your insurance deductible when the drive takes the gimble out and your boat sinks? Just some thoughts on bravos breaking.
Who is AM?
Andy

Boatlesss
09-27-2007, 08:03 PM
3. $36,000 complete ready to go. A fully built bravo from Max Machine, box, gimble steering and everything else you may need will top $30,000. I believe IMCO's new 1,000 took more hp to run then a 6 and was close to 20K plus stand off box, and steering. So you could say mid $20,000 range. Now just food for thought. A six will last a lifetime in a small cat with 1,000 hp going to it. What is your family’s safety worth? Your time missed on the water because the boat is broke? And your insurance deductible when the drive takes the gimble out and your boat sinks? Just some thoughts on bravos breaking.
Andy[/QUOTE]
A SSM#6 with a spacer will run right about $35-36K OEM Pricing, changes a bit if the OEM purchases an engine package with it.
Examples:
Merc 700 NXT Drive $54,000.00 ea.
Merc 850 SSM#6 Drive $83,000.00 ea.
Merc 1075 SSM#6 Drive $98,000.00 ea.
Merc 1200 SSM#6 Drive $103,000.00 ea.
Merc 525 SSM#6 $57,000.00 ea.
Depending upon what the drive is packaged with the price of the drive changes.
A Max Machine with all the bells and whistles cost ?
An IMCO 1000 cost $35K List and OEM?
These are expensive out drives.

kap
09-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Boatless:
Thanks for that post:D . No hiding the ball I appreciate that direct approach and to the point--- just the facts.
Max Machine Worx 900 has various prices depending on the gears and whether you choose a billet or standard IMCO case.
You can get one complete with IMCO transom assembly and dual hydraulic steering---- starting around $23,000 more for billet items and other accessories.
You can call Aaron or Jason at MMX and they will mail you a catalog and price sheet--- better yet go visit their shop when your in Havasu. They will be happy to answer any of your questions or concerns related to your setup choice.
Boatless you ain't lying---when you say the drives are pricey but if your gonna go big [Horsepower wise] be prepared to pay the price. If your between 600 and > 900 HP you have more choices.
KAP

andy01
09-28-2007, 09:50 AM
A SSM#6 with a spacer will run right about $35-36K OEM Pricing, changes a bit if the OEM purchases an engine package with it.
Examples:
Merc 700 NXT Drive $54,000.00 ea.
Merc 850 SSM#6 Drive $83,000.00 ea.
Merc 1075 SSM#6 Drive $98,000.00 ea.
Merc 1200 SSM#6 Drive $103,000.00 ea.
Merc 525 SSM#6 $57,000.00 ea.
Depending upon what the drive is packaged with the price of the drive changes.
A Max Machine with all the bells and whistles cost ?
An IMCO 1000 cost $35K List and OEM?
These are expensive out drives.Ok the pricing I came up with was less then that in Dec. on a brand new 6 with gimle and all the stuff other then prop.
In comparsion to a fully built bravo they don't seem expensive at all.
Boatless:
Thanks for that post:D . No hiding the ball I appreciate that direct approach and to the point--- just the facts.
Max Machine Worx 900 has various prices depending on the gears and whether you choose a billet or standard IMCO case.
You can get one complete with IMCO transom assembly and dual hydraulic steering---- starting around $23,000 more for billet items and other accessories.
You can call Aaron or Jason at MMX and they will mail you a catalog and price sheet--- better yet go visit their shop when your in Havasu. They will be happy to answer any of your questions or concerns related to your setup choice.
Boatless you ain't lying---when you say the drives are pricey but if your gonna go big [Horsepower wise] be prepared to pay the price. If your between 600 and > 900 HP you have more choices.
KAP
KAP do you work for Max Machine? That almost looks iike a sales pitch about their drives.
There is no drive that will live with 900hp other then a 6. Yes you might be able to baby a bravo style into living, but if you don't it won't live with 900hp.

kap
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Hello Andy01:
Well let me begin by saying no I do not work for Max Machine Worx nor am I an agent I am simply a marine consumer unlike yourself. I was also wondering if you were an employee, agent of GT Performance when you look at your avatar or Eliminator Custom Boats as you seem to have a lot of covert info on new models.
As for MMX I like their product and customer service to date they stand behind their drives and do not play hide the ball if you ask questions about the how and why.
As for not handling 900 horsepower I respectfully disagree their MMX900 has endured 1100+HP. Mr. Gary Taylor---TPI, runs one in his 28Composite Bullet and he hardly baby's it when operating his V-Bottom. It does require you to service your drive frequently ie... swapping out fluids regularly but that is also true of high performance motors. They go hand in hand!
Can you break it the answer is yes---but that can be said for anything including custom motors--- GT or any others you care to mention.
As far as pricing sheets Mercury issued new prices as of August 2007, and I have never seen those prices go down:( .
Cost aside I haven't heard back from you on the horsepower loss when running a #6 drive and if possible can you provide the source of your info. I am truly interested as to how much is lost through the transmission and drive.
Who knows I may be a future Mercury No. 6 convert and join the rest of the mercury cult:D :D :D .
Sincerely,
KAP
P.S. Pantera28 this may seem off topic but I assure you this is information you want to know when making a decision.

andy01
09-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Hello Andy01:
I am simply a marine consumer unlike yourself.
Oh who do I work for?
As for not handling 900 horsepower I respectfully disagree their MMX900 has endured 1100+HP. Mr. Gary Taylor---TPI, runs one in his 28Composite Bullet and he hardly baby's it when operating his V-Bottom. It does require you to service your drive frequently ie... swapping out fluids regularly but that is also true of high performance motors. They go hand in hand!
I am sure there may or may not be some truth to that. There are may broken drives and motors that many people never know about. Again I am sure you can make it live.
As far as pricing sheets Mercury issued new prices as of August 2007.
I am not in the industry so I didn't know there was a new price sheet. Maybe you can help us out.
Cost aside I haven't heard back from you on the horsepower loss when running a #6 drive and if possible can you provide the source of your info. I am truly interested as to how much is lost through the transmission and drive.
You should call your bro Gary Taylor and ask him, I don't have time to call about it, nor do I care. You seem to be in the know. Go ahead and post the hp lose and then post Max Machines, I am sure it will be spot on ........... :rolleyes:
I am done having this outdrive debate with you KAP, come to me with a 200 plus hour bravo style 1,000hp plus setup and I will listen. Otherwise we're all done here.
Andy

mbrown2
09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
come to me with a 200 plus hour bravo style 1,000hp plus setup and I will listen. Otherwise we're all done here.
Andy
6's break too....I doubt you can find many 6's out there with 200 hours, that have not been babied and are still going....heck, show #6 some boats that have not had their engines torn down and drives rebuilt every 75-100 hours and I would suprised....Just look through OSO classifieds and most of those 6 boats with hours speak to fresh drives and I am sure that is just not changing the fluids :idea:

kap
09-28-2007, 12:18 PM
6's break too....I doubt you can find many 6's out there with 200 hours, that have not been babied and are still going....heck, show #6 some boats that have not had their engines torn down and drives rebuilt every 75-100 hours and I would suprised....Just look through OSO classifieds and most of those 6 boats with hours speak to fresh drives and I am sure that is just not changing the fluids :idea:
Mbrown2
You beat me to the punch. I concur whole heartedly.
Contrary to your assertion I am not related to Gary Taylor. Second, I do not appreciate your tone as it is both rude and offensive but then again it demonstrates the character and personality of the writer.
Why! not offer constructive information rather than constantly criticizing other posts. If you need an exemplar of constructive information I would refer you to Boatless's post. [Note: pardon me Boatless for using you as an example].
Believe me if I was an advocate of the No.6 drive, I would know the technical details without having to resort to other sources. I also thought that if a buyer were coming in to your shop to buy a boat and asked that question it would be prudent for you to have an answer---just a thought.
In anycase it was a pleasure having a brief disagreement :) with you and good luck in finding a buyer for the Daytona.
Respectfully,
KAP

andy01
09-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Andy01:
Contrary to your assertion I am not related to Gary Taylor. Second, I do not appreciate your tone as it is both rude and offensive but then again it demonstrates the character and personality of the writer.
I wasn't saying you were related to him, it was a slang term. Sorry, okay your close friend (I am assuming he is your close friend since you know his driving habits so well.) Rude? That just displays my lack of eduction or this is the internet and I really don't care if I am rude to you or not? Take the first one........
Why! not offer constructive information rather than constantly criticizing other posts. If you need an exemplar of constructive information I would refer you to Boatless's post. [Note: pardon me Boatless for using you as an example].
I thought it was constructive, bravos break easier then 6's. This thread was about building a single engine 28' cat, not Kap and Andy know more about bravos and six then each other.
Believe me if I was an advocate of the No.6 drive, I would know the technical details without having to resort to other sources. I also thought that if a buyer were coming in to your shop to buy a boat and asked that question it would be prudent for you to have an answer---just a thought.
Just a thought? Thanks for the thought. If I had a buyer standing in front of me I would know the answer as well. If I had a shop. I don't have a shop or haven't you figured that out yet? I own two homes, niether of which are a shop.
In anycase it was a pleasure having a brief disagreement :) with you and good luck in finding a buyer for the Daytona.
Respectfully,
KrAP
Yes it was fun Kap............ Now which Daytona are you referring to? :)
Andy

andy01
09-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Engines yes, drives no.
I know of two cats that have very high hours on them that have not been apart that have quad setups. I also know of a large V with 6's that has been beat and hasn't had the drives apart yet. And a boat with 1,480hp with 70 hours that hadn't had the drives off of it, you going to tell me you can bolt 1,480 hp to a bravo and get 70 hours out of it? And that was last I heard about the boat, the drives weren't broke at 70 hours.
In your eperience what have you found? These are boats that I mentioned have meet the owners and/or know the shops that did the work.
Andy

Boatlesss
09-28-2007, 07:34 PM
Enough of the B.S. bickering. Especially if both parties admit they are not connected to anything other than the beer in their hands.
Real questions for wandering minds:
What is the power loss through a #6 Merc? Merc claims less loss than a Bravo???
(As for breaking a #6, it happens way more often than you think, last week at the SBI race Fountain, Fountain Yachts blew a SSM#6 and lost the lead of the race on the last lap)
What is the power loss through a Bravo? Merc claims 39 hp for a stock B1, not an XR.
What is the power loss through a IMCO SC? IMCO 1000?
What is the power loss through a Max Machine Worx? What ever version?
What is the power loss through a BMax?
Finally, what is the power loss through an Arneson? The one that seems to live even with 900 or more hp.
Now even a more complexing question:
What is the speed comparison between the drives??
RUMORS: A BMAX is about 10 mph slower than a B1. A IMCO 1000 is about 10+ mph slower than a B1, etc....
Any input?

DMOORE
09-28-2007, 07:43 PM
The #6 dry sump is less than a Bravo. Infact it's much less than a wet sump #6. If you want to know the exact amount(remember it depends on hp being pushed through it) try talking with Weismann engineering, he developed the first dry sump systems for the #6. He has a thread on offshoreonly and goes by SHIFTER.
As for running an 1100HP QUADROTOR, a #6 would be my choice for sure. That's a lot of torque.
Darrell.

Uniqueperformancewest
09-29-2007, 03:43 PM
I'd definetly have to recommend the RC-28 and its not as expensive as you might think. We are a dealer for the E-ticket line and will have his newest RC-28 creation at our showroom come the end of October, aswell as a new 29 luxury cat with 525's both for sale. We will be holding a open house late next month to showcase both our Adrenaline line and our E-ticket line, also to make people aware of our ability to customize trucks and SUV's. This would be a great oppurtunity to come down and check out Larry's newest boat and see a real impressive boat that can definetly keep up with the big boys, both in performance, quality, and handling.
Thanks John
Unique Performance West, Inc.
www.upwmarine.com
714-865-3502

WETTE VETTE
09-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Check out WPM. I know they did at least one 28' with a healthy single mated to a Conrad with good results.

kap
09-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Enough of the B.S. bickering. Especially if both parties admit they are not connected to anything other than the beer in their hands.
Real questions for wandering minds:
What is the power loss through a #6 Merc? Merc claims less loss than a Bravo???
(As for breaking a #6, it happens way more often than you think, last week at the SBI race Fountain, Fountain Yachts blew a SSM#6 and lost the lead of the race on the last lap)
What is the power loss through a Bravo? Merc claims 39 hp for a stock B1, not an XR.
What is the power loss through a IMCO SC? IMCO 1000?
What is the power loss through a Max Machine Worx? What ever version?
What is the power loss through a BMax?
Finally, what is the power loss through an Arneson? The one that seems to live even with 900 or more hp.
Now even a more complexing question:
What is the speed comparison between the drives??
RUMORS: A BMAX is about 10 mph slower than a B1. A IMCO 1000 is about 10+ mph slower than a B1, etc....
Any input?
Boatless:
Let me work on those questions--- I just got home from the rio de colorado. It's funny you never see this kind of discussion in any magazine to many financial agenda's I guess:D .
I'll try and have some answers.
Good questions for the boater who wants to know.
KAP
P.S. DMoore you missed out on an awesome weekend it was beautiful on the water.

DMOORE
09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Boatless:
P.S. DMoore you missed out on an awesome weekend it was beautiful on the water.
We are going to have the whole clan out there this coming weekend. Hopefully we will get the same weather.
Darrell.