PDA

View Full Version : New guy wants jet boat!

aqua
09-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey all. Been around water and boats all of my life but after snooping around on here and watching a few vids I am thinking that a jet boat might be in my future. Are there any tips that I need to keep in mind while looking. Motors? Pumps? Hulls? We have a 60mph bassboat now and I have ridden in others 60mph boats so if possible I would like to push that limit just a bit. What would be farely quick, reliable yet as affordable as possible. :D

H20MOFO
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
No Panther's. Sorry Guys Couldn't Resist. Let The Opinions Roll...

aqua
09-25-2007, 01:35 PM
No Panther's. Sorry Guys Couldn't Resist. Let The Opinions Roll...
that is kinda what i have gathered from my readings on here. why is the berkeley preffered over the panther's and jacuzzi's.
hull wise....i am thinking a closed bow large enough to hold 4 people.
what kind of hp am I going to need to push 65 or more mph. are the 455's really that bad to run high rpm's for extended periods.
thanks again

slotracer
09-25-2007, 01:38 PM
first off where are you located at? second what are you looking to spend any ballpark price?:idea:

1968Droptop
09-25-2007, 01:58 PM
........what kind of hp am I going to need to push 65 or more mph. are the 455's really that bad to run high rpm's for extended periods.
thanks again
HP requirments will depend on the hull. But 65-70 isn't that hard to get out of most hulls with today's engine tech. What your looking to spend will affect peoples opinions on what to buy. 4 peeps will most likely require a 19' or larger.
And yes, the 455's are that bad in stock to moderate form if you want to push the speed. You need to spend the $$$ to make 'em live at extended high rpm's. I'd go Ford personally (little biased here :D), but a Chevy is still better in the long run than a 455 Old's.

BOOGEYMAN
09-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Aqua.....I have a 20 ft sleekcraft tunnel V with a 502 and a berk, seats 4 and a cooler, runs on pump gas all day and does 72-74 on gps.
Pm me for details if interested.
Travis

DeltaSigBoater
09-25-2007, 03:17 PM
No 455s, Mopars, or AMCs - Go w/ BBC or BBF
No Panther Pumps, Jacuzzi isnt bad, Berkeley is better
No Fractional Stringers - Full Length Stringers
just my $.02

H20MOFO
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey BoogEYman If Your Sellin, What Are You Going To Buy? Another Modified, Or Just Need Another Dragster? Haha . Just Curious. He Is Askin Whats The Best. Aqua , My Boat May Be For Sale?

pw_Tony
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
just my $.02
I will take a mopar over a Chevy or Ford anyday :D

aqua
09-25-2007, 03:55 PM
first off where are you located at? second what are you looking to spend any ballpark price?:idea:
in missouri. can i get what i am looking for for under 4K? my other hobbies take most of what ive got. :D

slotracer
09-25-2007, 04:23 PM
4k maybe alittle low but remember winter time is coming:D then the holidays will be here and people will be looking to off anything they can to get money:devil: check with daunne at htp he may be able to find something.

GAWnCA
09-25-2007, 05:21 PM
in missouri. can i get what i am looking for for under 4K? my other hobbies take most of what ive got. :D
I don't knwo what city you are near but check this out.
http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/mo
I'm temporarily in California and from the KC area... Independence to be exact. I picked up my jet while I'm here. Can't wait to take it out to Smithville Lake or on the Mighty Mo!

skinut
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
1976 Anthony Jet , 19-6 ft, Big block Ford, double valve spring on ported and polished Mid rishers heads, chromed higher valve covers, Joe Hunt Mag with tach drive with new Jones tach, 850 CFM double pumper Holley carb, all S/S lines throghout, higher risher 427 chromed intake, high rishers valve covers chromed, Custom air scope, Blue printed 575 HP, New Bassett water injected Headers with muffers, All alum chomed, Engine built by Ron Miller at Ford Power Parts. over 12k in engine. Berkley Super Jet 12 JG, with blue printed A+ S/S impeller, Racing intake, 5/8 full ride plate with adjusable turnbuckles, 12 deg wedge with eyes for turnbuckles, adjusble S/S turnbuckles, 1 5/8 high and low speed intake grade, racing nozzle sleeve, custom racing bowl with backing plate, custom chromed transom adapter, chromed racing snoop, and more, over 9k in pump, Cable racing steering, Custom New interior, All balsa wood flooring with 2" full runners, custom Bottom blue printed with a ride delta intake, speed coated bottom, all new gauages, new battery, New tires on custom trailer. Full towing cover, Very clean fast and denpenable at 85+ MPH. One boat owner from 1976. I Needed a bigger boat for family. just reduced the price. Will sell for $11,000 OBO Daytime cell #909-957-8116 home #909-861-8876[/quote]

Sleeper CP
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I will take a mopar over a Chevy or Ford anyday :D
Hey now:mad: :idea: Have you ever seen a 426 Hemi in a jet boat. That's the only Mopar I would want to see. 440's arent bad engines though.
Tony what's up with the name change:confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

IMPATIENT 1
09-25-2007, 09:02 PM
well then, i've got the boat for ya. other's here will tell ya to stay shy of the panthers and amc's boats, but if you've got other hobbies and don't wanna work on your jetboat alot, the amc panther deal is ok. i know of a very clean , nice boat near you in your price range, even cheaper;)
here's the boat, not a speed demon, but a great reliable turn ket boat, looks sweet too:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162437&highlight=galaxy

BOOGEYMAN
09-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey BoogEYman If Your Sellin, What Are You Going To Buy? Another Modified, Or Just Need Another Dragster? Haha . Just Curious. He Is Askin Whats The Best. Aqua , My Boat May Be For Sale?
going to do a twin turbo set up in one of those boats with a gear box and a prop......:devil: going to the "other" side.
Travis

Longstr
09-26-2007, 05:22 AM
well then, i've got the boat for ya. other's here will tell ya to stay shy of the panthers and amc's boats, but if you've got other hobbies and don't wanna work on your jetboat alot, the amc panther deal is ok. i know of a very clean , nice boat near you in your price range, even cheaper;)
here's the boat, not a speed demon, but a great reliable turn ket boat, looks sweet too:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162437&highlight=galaxy
Thanks Tom I guess it all depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend for it. If you want a nice clean, fun, turnkey everyday, jet boat. I got one... PM me if you are interested in the Galaxie... :D

aqua
09-26-2007, 05:35 AM
What is the deal with full stringers. Is that how the motor mounts in the boat......on stringers? Just trying to understand.
That galaxy is a pretty nice looking boat. How would it take future modifications though. I guess I am looking for a platform I can add to and modify as time and money progresses.......I have a hard time leaving things alone.
GAWnCA.....I am in Jeff City but just moved here from KC myself about a year ago. Have you ever been to the jetboat drags they have here in mid mo?

Longstr
09-26-2007, 05:41 AM
What is the deal with full stringers. Is that how the motor mounts in the boat......on stringers? Just trying to understand.
That galaxy is a pretty nice looking boat. How would it take future modifications though. I guess I am looking for a platform I can add to and modify as time and money progresses.......I have a hard time leaving things alone.
GAWnCA.....I am in Jeff City but just moved here from KC myself about a year ago. Have you ever been to the jetboat drags they have here in mid mo?
well just like anything else depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Jet boat Performance makes a Panther Conversion kit to turn the panther into a dominator style pump, and you could do anything with the motor, change it, stroke it.... The Galaxie has all the hard work done to it, new floor, stringers, all new wood, new interior, gages, etc.

IMPATIENT 1
09-26-2007, 06:18 AM
well just like anything else depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Jet boat Performance makes a Panther Conversion kit to turn the panther into a dominator style pump, and you could do anything with the motor, change it, stroke it.... The Galaxie has all the hard work done to it, new floor, stringers, all new wood, new interior, gages, etc.
its a nice boat, can't believe it hasn't sold yet!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-26-2007, 06:35 AM
just my $.02
Ill second this......

Xerophobic
09-26-2007, 08:07 AM
just my $.02
And while you're at it stay away from glass boats too! :D
Cheers
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372221tunnelnaked2r.JPG

n8dawg
09-26-2007, 08:11 AM
I have a 455 olds and a jacuzzi pump. But thats only because I didn't know about this web site and anything about different set ups at the time. If I had to do it over big block chevy and a berkley pump for sure.
I will say this: I bought my boat for $2,000 thinking that I would blow up the 455 and build a chevy motor...4 years later I'm still running the same 455 Olds, the only thing I've done is the interior and a place diverter and it runs good 64mph @5100rpm's.
Least I have a full stringered hull...a must!
This web site helps out alot. Alot of good people here willing to help you along with whatever your project is.
Good luck.:D
Nate

jetboatperformance
09-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Aqua: A whole lot IMO comes down to whats in your budget,your mechanical skills and what and how often your going to use the boat for . One of the very first things we look for is Hull integrity (cracks rotten floors ,motor box/stingers etc) The overall condition of the bottom is equally important. Interiors tend to be a large expense (if needed) so the condition of not just the upholstry but the underlying wood is something to look at. Chevys Fords and all the "Berkely type jets (A/T ,Dom,legend and the like) are my personal Favorites. But nearly any of the traditional Old school combinations out there can be good if they've had good care and maintence. I recently bought one of those proverbial "stored in the garage for years boats" that had a Ford 428 fe/berkely in it ,normally the fe wouldn't have been my weapon of choice but it was and is a great boat. I invite you to call or email if you find something your considering or post up pics and info here on the boards Lots of good help and info from the guys here welcome to Jet boating Tom:)

FOURQ
09-26-2007, 08:50 AM
this is the boat for you ..
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/az/17.JPG
$16,000

pw_Tony
09-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Hey now:mad: :idea: Have you ever seen a 426 Hemi in a jet boat. That's the only Mopar I would want to see. 440's arent bad engines though.
Tony what's up with the name change:confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
I got tired of people being confused of the pw38342683472562987 haha
so it's an easier transition....
This is the boat I would want... a Spectra with a Hemi :D
http://i23.tinypic.com/s43uyu.jpg

Sleeper CP
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
As a Ford guy, I guess I would build a 500+ inch Boss 429 before I built a 500+inch Hemi but that would be a cool Jet Boat engine.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

jungledave
09-26-2007, 06:24 PM
in missouri. can i get what i am looking for for under 4K? my other hobbies take most of what ive got. :DCheck out the knasas city craig list I think I saw a chheper nice boat with a big block chevy and a berkley pump on there just type in "jet boat" when you get on th knasas city site. I'd by a chrysler with a berkley but my boat has a chevy and I know someone out there sill always have parts when my chevy breaks:D

Riverbass
09-26-2007, 06:32 PM
And what is wrong with a bass boat. My champion 198 is running 80 mph on the gps. But my wife had to have a jet so got her a 1988 dana 19 ' 454 with a berk jet I must say I like this boat but you cant fish out of it and if I did she would kick my butt. So now we have two boats. Good luck.

MiLlEr CuStOm 75
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a 455 olds and a jacuzzi pump. But thats only because I didn't know about this web site and anything about different set ups at the time. If I had to do it over big block chevy and a berkley pump for sure.
I will say this: I bought my boat for $2,000 thinking that I would blow up the 455 and build a chevy motor...4 years later I'm still running the same 455 Olds, the only thing I've done is the interior and a place diverter and it runs good 64mph @5100rpm's.
Least I have a full stringered hull...a must!
This web site helps out alot. Alot of good people here willing to help you along with whatever your project is.
Good luck.:D
Nate
That's pretty good for a 455. I had the same setup in my 75 kona. Not sure how fast it went but it had a good hole shot and ran ok. Now I've got a BBF\w berkley jet (would rather have a BBC) full stringer, GPS at 68 MPH. Not to shabby. Eventually I'll get up to about 80. I hope......

MiLlEr CuStOm 75
09-26-2007, 07:27 PM
just my $.02
I agree without a doubt!

pw_Tony
09-26-2007, 07:32 PM
And what is wrong with a bass boat. My champion 198 is running 80 mph on the gps. But my wife had to have a jet so got her a 1988 dana 19 ' 454 with a berk jet I must say I like this boat but you cant fish out of it and if I did she would kick my butt. So now we have two boats. Good luck.
Keep telling yourself that :D

aqua
09-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Check out the knasas city craig list I think I saw a chheper nice boat with a big block chevy and a berkley pump on there just type in "jet boat" when you get on th knasas city site. I'd by a chrysler with a berkley but my boat has a chevy and I know someone out there sill always have parts when my chevy breaks:D
thanks jungledave. i did see that the other day and have replied to the reply to email address they have at the top of craiglist......is that how I use craig list to contact the seller? never used it before.