PDA

View Full Version : How to gain 4 mph for less than 10$!...

Toffen
12-30-2001, 10:57 AM
"Hi!
Just checked out JSRE tech question column at ScreamAndFly, and he comes up with a tip that is new for me!
"A little secret also, space your props as far back on the shafts as possible with spacers and have a nut machined in half, and torque to 100 ft lb. Leave the prop shaft just long enough to have one thread of the prop shaft hanging past the nylon on the lock nut. Believe it or not, this simple mod is sometimes good for as much as 4 mph".
This apply to over hub props such as choppers, cleavers, small hub Tropys, etc.
Have any of you tested this out???
Cheers, Toffen G

737jetmech
01-01-2002, 07:23 AM
Hey,thanks for the tip.Sounds like something worth trying.I run a 21 liberator with a 2.5 E.F.I. 260 hp.Prop is a Masco RE4 26 pitch.It will have to wait till spring.Dam cold in the northeast this time of year!!!!jetmech over and out.

HavasuDreamin'
02-13-2002, 12:43 PM
Never tested this out, but it seems that it is worth trying. Do you put another thrust hub in for spacing or something esle? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

mmtech
02-28-2002, 02:42 PM
sounds like a great way to loose a prop, or break the propshaft...
blowout could also become an issue at higher speeds...
i also would have to believe that this would cause some cavitation during holeshot...

HavasuDreamin'
02-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Never thought about that MM. What division of Mercury do you work for . . . 2-Stroke?
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited February 28, 2002).]

snappertapper
02-28-2002, 05:56 PM
yea that would prolly cause cavitation and hole shot problems except when you have an above water exhaust system